Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'm a huge fan of Cahill but what're your reasons for having him as the best in the country? Absolutely not having a go, just curious as to why. He was magisterial yesterday and for the last few seasons. His two points from midfield were outrageous. I really didn't think he had that kind of point-scoring ability.

I just think he has everything, I genuinely cant remember him been beaten by a direct opponent in the last few years, he has tenacity, pace , skill and along with Noel Connors and Paul Murphy are the best corner backs in the country, what seperates Cahill for me is his versatility and hurling ability, he could literally play anywhere from 2-15.

Infact if you look back to Mickeys younger days he was never a corner back and only ended up in that role because Thurles decided to use him as a man marker anythime they played Drom, Loughmore and Toom and he did such a wonderfull job on Seamie, Noel and Johnno that he sort of became cast in the role from that point on.

It would be a huge fillip for Tipp if we can bring Barrett on to the required level and be confident of him in the corner as it would allow us to release Mickey further up the field where he could exert a bigger influence on the game, his vision and delivery to the forwards is also streets ahead of alot of his teammates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I don't think he will be either. People forget - it took Lar a long time to get going - 2009 before Lar became the real deal - Kelly has had a much better career -

Lar has 2 - two - AL senior medals and three all stars

Hopefully Forde will do better - I don't think Forde has a pace issue - time will tell

It never stopped Kelly and it won't stop Bubbles

I don't think he will be either. People forget - it took Lar a long time to get going - 2009 before Lar became the real deal - Kelly has had a much better career -

Hopefully Forde will do better - I don't think Forde has a pace issue - time will tell

Of course you are right about the medals, got a bit carried away!

Comparing him to Kelly is unfair on the lad I think, Kelly is a once in a generation type player and while you are right he wasn't blessed with pace he more than made up for it with his teekness.

I hope to god you are right but I have seen a lot of Forde in Club, Schools and intercounty hurling and I remain unconvinced but as you say time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The Map on their website has it being in Tipp , unless they managed to redraw the border :D !
    Their ground is just over border. Ive played there enough and know enough involved in club there. Theyre in Offaly which is why club plays in Leinster league not Munster league

Wouldn't think Forde has pace issue. Forde is top class but has been built up to be something(from a young age and playing for a weakish Mines side at u/age at any rate) that he isn't. Very talented but is talked up so much im not sure he is at that level

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Their ground is just over border. Ive played there enough and know enough involved in club there. Theyre in Offaly which is why club plays in Leinster league not Munster league

You would want to have a word with whoever runs the Club Website , check it out , it shows it`s in Tipp . Ask them why they have it in the wrong location ;) . They probably put it in the Tipp part of Ballyskenagh for the craic :D . Even the Clubs address is Streamstown , Roscrea , Co Tipp . Not Offaly !
    No wonder your lost my Ovine friend !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Premier View

Thanks guys agreed. A wall of information with no real shape!
    Still I do feel we make to many elementary mistakes, some of these guys are very expereinced players, so no excuses there.
    The other point is, we seem to make them, when the game is in the melting pot(Hardly pure co-incidence).
    Also what exactly do we do with the ball when we get it? There seems to be a hit and hope element attached to a lot of our deliveries.
    I dont see any change in our play from last season. Tipperary dont tend to spring up over night like Cork teams. We are what we are, what you get is what you see. We dont have any new players or any new ideas to change our fortunes.
    We hold on to players to long, which is not good for the development of new ones. Corbett and Kelly are finished at this level, and have been for a few years.
    Kilkenny seem to be blooding a lot of new players, and in a blink of an eye, they will be back bigger and stronger. We have slipped off the pace, and are no longer a top three team.

I don't think Corbett is finished just yet...and looked sharp year in the KK game - Kelly is finished. But I think he is an important presence for the squad - a voice. Has a great attitude.

Well, the simple fact remains is that Jason Forde was out best under 21 forward last year. So if he is not up to it what does that say about the players coming through. I think his potential is as good as any forward out there at his age. Just expecting too much too soon - one of the most difficult things for a young player to manage is expectation. Give him time - he's a class act with a great temperament. I certainly wouldn't be dismissive of his talent - as I said I would expect great things from him. Bubbles has a few years on him. He's still under 21 this year

Tipp team to play London next weekend :

Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard); Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy), Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers); Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers – Captain), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers); Steven O’Brien (Ballina), Lorcan Egan (JK Brackens); Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Barry Grogan (Aherlow), Conal McCullagh (Clonmel Commercials); Brian Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty), Cathal Dillon (Aherlow), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen).

No Paddy Codd , George Hannigan or Michael Quinlivan . Must be giving Michael a break after his Sigerson campaign . Dropping Hannigan is a good move , it goes back to what we said awhile ago about the lack of pace and drive in the team , George is a lacking there unfortunately .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭randd1

Red Crow wrote: »
    Finally got around to looking at the game on the TV and what an outrageous player Mikey Cahill is. From my view point in the stand he looked to be everywhere and he slowly moved up the pitch. What a class player.

Tipp's best player by a mile, certainly their most consistent performer, he's a fierce leader for Tipp when they've lacked a bit of leadership in the last few years, and the best corner back in the country along with Paul Murphy (can't choose between the two really).

Can't understand why he hasn't been made captain the past few seasons when he consider his quality and consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard); Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy), Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers); Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers – Captain), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers); Steven O’Brien (Ballina), Lorcan Egan (JK Brackens); Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Barry Grogan (Aherlow), Conal McCullagh (Clonmel Commercials); Brian Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty), Cathal Dillon (Aherlow), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen).

Hazard a guess as to Peter Acheson's best position? He's down as #6 there and was the same versus Waterford. But sometimes I've seen him down as half-forward.

Should Cahill be played in the half back line - he certainly has the engine to get back to help the full back line and burst forward into midfield...

He watertight at corner back - but could we get more from him at half - back in the championship?

Barett/Breen - Curran - Stapleton

Cahill - O'Mahony - Pauric Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

No Paddy Codd , George Hannigan or Michael Quinlivan . Must be giving Michael a break after his Sigerson campaign . Dropping Hannigan is a good move , it goes back to what we said awhile ago about the lack of pace and drive in the team , George is a lacking there unfortunately .

Must be a good reason why Michael Quinlivan is not named, maybe he is in the subs as a trip to London would appeal to most young lads.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Tipp let a big lead slip sunday which will take time to rectify. There was good aggression and drive from tipp for an hour or so though, is McGeeney working with them much does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Anyone got any opinions on Bergin up front? Has he played up front ever before? He doesn't look that natural up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Comordha wrote: »
    Anyone got any opinions on Bergin up front? Has he played up front ever before? He doesn't look that natural up there.

Think he was playing half forward in the fitzgibbon cup last week and scored 4 points.

Comordha wrote: »

He was always a forward, played there as a county minor and done most if not all of his club hurling in the half forward line, it was EOS that actually originally converted him to a defender.

He must just need some inter-county practice up there so. That point he put over against Waterford was a joy to watch but not too much more since. Have big hopes for this guy, seems to have the right mentality anyway.

Hazard a guess as to Peter Acheson's best position? He's down as #6 there and was the same versus Waterford. But sometimes I've seen him down as half-forward.

He has played midfield also . I reckon they want him on the ball as soon as the opposition attack breaks down and get the ball moving forward quickly . I never seen Brian Fox play corner forward before , he normally plays on the half back line and is very good at breaking up play . Another about him is his passing , which is very accurate . I have said it before , he is a player who would get on any County side .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

Yeah was a great game, best I've seen in the round robin of the league ever.

Cahill started in the corner and came out to wing back and then midfield, he was immense and can hurl any where tbh.

Just watching the first half here now, I'm a huge admirer of Cahills but he got some scalding in the 1st half. He started LH back and conceded 4 points to W Walsh, was very loose and Tipps worst back IMO, he was moved to midfield after Walshs 4th point from where he started to hurl, P Maher going over and putting the shackles on Walsh.

The Tipp backs lined out: P Stapleton, T Stapleton, Barrett, McGrath, O Brien, Cahill

Formosa wrote: »

The Tipp backs lined out: P Stapleton, O'Brien, Barrett, McGrath, P Maher, Cahill

So T Stapleton started in midfield?

So T Stapleton started in midfield?

Sorry i think T Stapleton was full back and COB midfield...O'Brien went to 6, P Maher to 7 when Cahill went midfield....in fairness to P Maher, Colin Fennelly only started to run amok after this switch was made...maybe he went back into 6 though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The Tipp backs were Barrett Tom Stapleton saint shane mc Conor o brien cahill

The Tipp backs were Barrett Tom Stapleton saint shane mc Conor o brien cahill

P Sapleton started at 2 on Reid, Barrett at 4, Otherwise as you say, I was wrong about P Maher, he started MF and switched with Cahill on 20 mins

Cahill marking Walsh was a mismatch (6ft4in vs. 5ft10in), Walsh is a very physical player so you need someone big, strong and especially tall to mark him. His main trick is to throw players off him when he first gets the ball to hand and that gives him the space he needs to score points. His hand usage is against the rules at times and the ref pulled him up on this once. He is ineffective under high pressure & when forced out the wing. P.Maher did far better on him, another player to have had his mark was Paul Schutte for Dublin in last year's Leinster Semi-Final, Walsh was taken off that day. I'm sure EOS has learnt this also. Wallie Walsh is also not a chase down defending-attacker so suits to have P.Maher on him as it gives him a little time to play with ball when he has it.

To counter Colin Fennelly you need a very tight man marker with speed. Once the ball is kept on the deck with him he's not as effective, not a dog-fighter. Once he pulls away you are in trouble though. Very strong with ball in hand. Also tends to bend the rules a little by sticking head down and barging. He was pulled up for this quite a lot last year. Problem is I am not sure Tipp has that tight speedy man marker.

When Stapleton is fully fit - he is very tight

I wonder will they get the goalkeeper Paul Fitzgerald out to take the long and medium range frees. I hope so.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    I wonder will they get the goalkeeper Paul Fitzgerald out to take the long and medium range frees. I hope so.

He might make it out, but who' d carry him back to his goal;)

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    He might make it out, but who' d carry him back to his goal;)

Your post is well below the belt.

Advertisement