Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tame enough game. I expected a little more.

Speaking of, 490 people attended. Pathetic.

Believe you me there has been worse attendances on record. Though on a border town between the 2 counties you'd expect more alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Game should have been played in Thurles!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I agree that there has been poor attendances before but that's just bad. The game has been scheduled for months and advertised where all GAA fans would see it. Clonmel is more of a footballing town than hurling and barely anyone turned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Clonmel may have stronger football clubs than hurling but the hurlers enjoy huge support in the town. When the hurlers held a training session in the town 3 years ago the field was jammed. Football like it or not is the poor relation to hurling and its all very well for posters on here demanding that they get our support but that performance and standard today won't help their cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Big set back today, really need to be beating the likes of Waterford If we are serious about promotion.

Clonmel may have stronger football clubs than hurling but the hurlers enjoy huge support in the town. When the hurlers held a training session in the town 3 years ago the field was jammed. Football like it or not is the poor relation to hurling and its all very well for posters on here demanding that they get our support but that performance and standard today won't help their cause.

They just cant do no right with the Tipp faithful. They got back to back promotions in 2008 and 2009 and no one used turn up to their games in 2010. Biggest attendance was probably the Meath game that year and thats because the hurlers played Galway as the second part of the double header. The key to promoting football in this county is more double headers. A Spring Series of sorts.

Well I know one Company who will be withdrawing their sponsorship for a grade in the 2015 Tipperary Football Championship, as they have indicated that if Tipp will ever achieve anything in football they will do it in the Thurles venue as they have done in the past. Can you imagine Tipp Senior footballers ever winning a Senior Munster Football Championship Final in Clonmel. I wonder where Peter Creedon stands in all of this. Anyway Peter I wish you the best of luck and I am sure you can see now what a mistake it was to agree to play Waterford in Clonmel.

Tipperary County Board will be officially notified of this sponsorship withdrawal within the next few days!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Well I know one Company who will be withdrawing their sponsorship for a grade in the 2015 Tipperary Football Championship, as they have indicated that if Tipp will ever achieve anything in football they will do it in the Thurles venue as they have done in the past. Can you imagine Tipp Senior footballers ever winning a Senior Munster Football Championship Final in Clonmel. I wonder where Peter Creedon stands in all of this. Anyway Peter I wish you the best of luck and I am sure you can see now what a mistake it was to agree to play Waterford in Clonmel.

Tipperary County Board will be officially notified of this sponsorship withdrawal within the next few days!

Im failing to understand why they are pulling the plug on sponsoring a competition at club level (i assume your referring to?) because the county team arent playing in Thurles? Firstly opening the ground each time at a huge loss is as bad a financial hit as any sponsor pulling out. Clonmel may have got a low crowd today but guaranteed they didn't anything near the same level of loss.

We were €250k in the red not so long ago dont forget. A 50 or 55k capacity venue hosting a game that a handful of people attend is just not feasible but it might be manageable if they can double up on fixtures somehow. That is what the county board must consider. Dublin have set the template in this regard.

Dublin very cleverly also had the Walsh cup final (which is administered under the Leinster council) as part of this years Spring series despite the football game against Kerry falling under the central council so with the bit of lateral thinking, even doubling up on fixtures in various competitions can be achieved if say we manage to make the Waterford Crystal final next year and on the same weekend as we play in Thurles in the league and if both happen to be at home.

FWIW i do see your point in playing in Thurles in terms of championship preparation and thats a very salient point but there is also the possibility of playing the qualifiers in a small tight provincial ground so having one game in Clonmel here and there isnt such a bad idea the odd time either.

Big set back today, really need to be beating the likes of Waterford If we are serious about promotion.

Its a bit of a setback no doubt but tbh i think we should be good to win 3 out of our 5 remaining at least. Id worry about the trip to Carrick on Shannon (bit of an unknown ground) and the home game v Antrim probably the most but i fancy us to beat Clare (who ironically beat Waterford by 2 goals last week) and London and hopefully grind out a result v Wicklow on the final day in Thurles.

• Advertisement

It can be reasonably assumed that half of the attendance came from County Waterford, most of the Waterford heartland supporters live within a short distance from Clonmel. It seems that the only way to get at the Tipp County Board is to get at them through their pockets. As far as I know the Tipp County board is one of the the most expensive Boards as regards costs in the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It can be reasonably assumed that half of the attendance came from County Waterford, most of the Waterford heartland supporters live within a short distance from Clonmel. It seems that the only way to get at the Tipp County Board is to get at them through their pockets. As far as I know the Tipp County board is one of the the most expensive Boards as regards costs in the whole country.
    Do you really think more people would have turned up in Semple Stadium today for this match?

tippspur wrote: »
    Do you really think more people would have turned up in Semple Stadium today for this match?

No not really, but they would have won the game on a familiar pitch and the more familiar the better!

No not really, but they would have won the game on a familiar pitch and the more familiar the better!

Tipp have only become familiar with Thurles since 2009. Beforehand they used play their home games in Ardfinnan and Clonmel and the odd championship game in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the clare v tipp games are fixed for a double header next month all though i expect a very low attendance for the start of the game with the 12:45 throw in, i am sure common sense would have prevailed if the waterford tipp game was put back a week in line for the hurling next week,

there was atleast 3 times that figure at the gealic grounds friday night and again to day in miltown for clare's game against leitrim (which was probably regarded as small in comparrision to some of the games last year in cusack park)

why people are not coming out to support the tipp footballers is beyond me in my opinion they are the bench mark for under age football in the country at the moment and not that long ago they were division 2, there are people in many "football" counties accross the country that would kill for that level of success

for what its worth the news of the scoreline from clonmel was about as sliver as the lining could get for clare today , if we repeat the same performance against ye next month we will get hammered!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It can be reasonably assumed that half of the attendance came from County Waterford, most of the Waterford heartland supporters live within a short distance from Clonmel. It seems that the only way to get at the Tipp County Board is to get at them through their pockets. As far as I know the Tipp County board is one of the the most expensive Boards as regards costs in the whole country.[/QUOTE

What do you mean by getting at the co board through their pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conor_db

I would have thought they would be more familiar with Clonmel a lot of big club/intercounty games played there. Im all for the footballers playing in Semple but they need to do a lot more promoting and gather a lot more interest if that is going to happen, in my opinion theres no point opening the gates for 2000 tipp fans for a league match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Game should have been played in Thurles!

I can absolutely guarantee that our football team has had mpore experience of playing in Clonmel than in Thurles, and if the venue is the best excuse we can come up with for not beating Waterford we really are going nowhere.

I said it at the time and I will say it again the underage sucess that Tipp enjoyed will have little or no effect on the fortunes of our senior team, just have a look through the list of standout performers from those teams, Michela Quinlivan is about the only one who is likely to contribute and possibily a few who are deemed not good enough for the hurlers.

It's a sad state of affairs but the reality is a county with our resources simply cannot compete in both codes at the highest level, Dublin and Cork yes but everyone else not a hope, even Galway have suffered in both as a result of attempting to divide their resources.

conor_db wrote: »
    I would have thought they would be more familiar with Clonmel a lot of big club/intercounty games played there. Im all for the footballers playing in Semple but they need to do a lot more promoting and gather a lot more interest if that is going to happen, in my opinion theres no point opening the gates for 2000 tipp fans for a league match.

2000 would actually be a decent enough crowd for a Tipp football league match. Some days we are lucky to see 100 pass through the turnstiles and the vast majority of them supporters are from the other county.

I think we could probably compete at a far better level at Senior in football, probably on a par with most of the counties in Division 2 at present but in terms of winning an All Ireland id say given the resources at the disposal of Cork and Dublin and the fact that Mayo, Kerry, and the Ulster teams will be thereabouts then it would be overly ambitious to think we could do what 1.5m populated and multimillion sponsored Dublin (10 times our population) and 450k populated Cork are doing and field two teams. The problem with Tipp is that all the good hurlers are also good footballers and those lads by and large will pick hurling every time.

So to clarify we're probably too good for the basement but not quite good enough to rise to All Ireland Challenges. Its great the work is being put in though it really is

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

2000 would actually be a decent enough crowd for a Tipp football league match. Some days we are lucky to see 100 pass through the turnstiles and the vast majority of them supporters are from the other county.

I think we could probably compete at a far better level at Senior in football, probably on a par with most of the counties in Division 2 at present but in terms of winning an All Ireland id say given the resources at the disposal of Cork and Dublin and the fact that Mayo, Kerry, and the Ulster teams will be thereabouts then it would be overly ambitious to think we could do what 1.5m populated and multimillion sponsored Dublin (10 times our population) and 450k populated Cork are doing and field two teams. The problem with Tipp is that all the good hurlers are also good footballers and those lads by and large will pick hurling every time.

So to clarify we're probably too good for the basement but not quite good enough to rise to All Ireland Challenges. Its great the work is being put in though it really is

I can`t see us ever competing at the top level in Football , the problem is the standard of Club Football in the county . For the past couple of years the number of teams playing in the County Adult Leagues are dropping . Take Ballyporeen , who are not taking part in the League this year after winning the County Intermediate last year , if they get beaten in the first round of the South Championship they have 3 games in the County and if they don`t qualify for the knock out stage it means they will have played 4 Competitive games all year . Teams in Cork , Kerry , Dublin etc are playing regularly , means more competition for the County Panel , the young players coming through for Tipp are not playing regular at decent standard for their Clubs and they don`t progress .
    Take the Football Leagues in Clare , they go from Division 1 through to Division 7 . Limerick has Senior Football League 1 and 2 , an Intermediate League and Junior League . We have a Premier Division divided into 2 groups of 4 and Division 1 made up 2 Intermediate teams and 2 Junior teams ! Clare and Limerick Clubs can compete every year in the Munster Club Championship where as our Clubs get hammered !
    The Friends of Tipperary Football and the Football Board need to sit down and discuss how to improve Club Football in the County and how to get Clubs interested .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 conor_db

I agree that 2000 is actually a very good turn out for the football and was ery suprised when i herd the figure. I think theres more than enough talented footballers in this county to give a fair shot in Div 3 and maybe even div 2 but the structure for the county teams in football is no where near the hurling. For example, when i was at home i played for a south tipp club. We always seen football as a warm up for the hurling and would always train for hurling, we would prob start kicking around a football a week before championship and this was senior. For the football to start growing more i think we have to buck this mentality because i am full sure its not only our club who have it. We need to start drilling football into young lads the same way we do with hurling for it to have any chance to progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Pity the Tipp vs. Waterford game is only being shown on Setanta 1. Do you think they might do delayed coverage on normal Setanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Bingo, just checked and Setanta Ireland will show it afterward. Any word on the panel, thought EOS was going to announce one?

Like what conor said I've have similar experiences playing for a mid tipp team where hurling took priority, despite us having more success in football.

Maybe dedicated football teams could be the answer!

The attitude in Tipperary is totally dominated by hurling which doesn't help support. At the game on the weekend I saw about five people carrying hurleys and sliothars - at a football game. It's a complete cultural thing.

Sad as it is, Tipperary will have to start upping the level of play to garner more attention. Two seasons ago they tore through the Championship and were in the last eight iirc and received a lot of talk. But last season's no-show versus Kerry lost them any attention.

If Saturday's performance will be replicated again over the next coming fixtures languishing in Division four is likely. It's frustrating because I'd love for more support for the footballers.

The attitude of some Clubs here is bizarre , take Nenagh Eire Og last year , they had a lad on the County Minor Football panel , before every game on Facebook they wished him well , yet the Club never enter a Minor or Under 21 football team last year , so you had a lad on the County Football Panel but didn`t play Club Football , how is he meant to progress to the next level ? Or take Killenaule last year , South Tipp Senior Football Champions in 2012 , they withdrew from the County Football Championship despite getting to the knockout stage , contrast that to Loughmore`s attitude and look how it worked out for them ! What Killenaule did you wouldn`t see it in any other County and the Captain of the County Football Team was and is a Killenaule man ! ! !

It's a shame that nenagh and Thurles cannot field senior football teams.

It's a shame that nenagh and Thurles cannot field senior football teams.

It is , Nenagh have produced some great Teams in the not too distant past , the Under 21 teams of the early 90`s ( The Effen Eddy Final ) . County Minor , Under 16 and Under 12 in 1990 and won the County Intermediate in 98 , had 3 lads including the Captain on the County Junior team that won the All Ireland that year . Nenagh won the County Junior in 2010 and haven`t fielded a Senior side since !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Premier View

Great posts all round on the state of Tipperary football. I love football guys, so this is not an anti football post. The sad reality is a glorified hurling team, won the football Championship. Hats off to the multi-talented Loughmore crew, but would the reverse ever happen? Er no! It tells you the standard of senior club football is very poor,full stop. There is a lot of money being pumped into the big ball game as Senior level, for little or no return. Last years campaign highlighted the current malaise of this group. Losing to Carlow, one of the whipping boys at home, and then beating most of the so called bigger guns. How can a team win two promotions, and beat Meath an established football county, and then drop two divisions in the blink of an eye. Attitude plain and simple. They have a similiar attitude to our hurlers,an over confidence in their own ability. The hurlers to be fair can back some of that up, sadly the footballers cannot. Barry Grogan for me typified the attitude of this current crop, great talent, work rate zero. I have watched the team many times, they have a decent skill set. They are not lacking in ability, they are country miles off, the speed of mind and body needed to compete at Championship level. Their tackling is non existant, and they are turned over in possession countless times. Throw in an unerring ability to hand pass to the opposition and its a depressing watching expereince. To be honest they need someone to light a fire under the arse. Creedon is a decent hard working manager, but I dont feel he can do that. I fear we will be stuck in second gear for many years to come. You cant expect young players to buy into Tipp football, while they are playing in the basement division. We had a golden opportunity to build on promotion to the second tier of National football, and we let it slip away. The cold reality is, while a minor success raised our profile nationwide, senior football is now in a deep crisis. Players are just going through the motions, and the Tipperary public are not interested in the great football adventure anymore. It pains me to write this, to be honest; but we are going nowhere fast.

• Advertisement

Great posts all round on the state of Tipperary football. I love football guys, so this is not an anti football post. The sad reality is a glorified hurling team, won the football Championship. Hats off to the multi-talented Loughmore crew, but would the reverse ever happen? Er no! It tells you the standard of senior club football is very poor,full stop. There is a lot of money being pumped into the big ball game as Senior level, for little or no return. Last years campaign highlighted the current malaise of this group. Losing to Carlow, one of the whipping boys at home, and then beating most of the so called bigger guns. How can a team win two promotions, and beat Meath an established football county, and then drop two divisions in the blink of an eye. Attitude plain and simple. They have a similiar attitude to our hurlers,an over confidence in their own ability. The hurlers to be fair can back some of that up, sadly the footballers cannot. Barry Grogan for me typified the attitude of this current crop, great talent, work rate zero. I have watched the team many times, they have a decent skill set. They are not lacking in ability, they are country miles off, the speed of mind and body needed to compete at Championship level. Their tackling is non existant, and they are turned over in possession countless times. Throw in an unerring ability to hand pass to the opposition and its a depressing watching expereince. To be honest they need someone to light a fire under the arse. Creedon is a decent hard working manager, but I dont feel he can do that. I fear we will be stuck in second gear for many years to come. You cant expect young players to buy into Tipp football, while they are playing in the basement division. We had a golden opportunity to build on promotion to the second tier of National football, and we let it slip away. The cold reality is, while a minor success raised our profile nationwide, senior football is now in a deep crisis. Players are just going through the motions, and the Tipperary public are not interested in the great football adventure anymore. It pains me to write this, to be honest; but we are going nowhere fast.

Very well said . What you said about the speed of mind and body is something I was going to mention , I haven`t seen them this year yet but compared to the top teams our lads stroll . What is the purpose of the Friends of Tipp Football , do they actually do anything to promote the game ? They should be a lot more active approaching Clubs , especially those that don`t play and see how they can get them more involved .
    The joke that is Division 1 of the County Adult Football League has now been reduced to 3 teams as 1 of the Junior teams has withdrawn .

Advertisement