Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

What do people think of the new panel? No seamus kennedy? Is Niall O'Meara injured? No Geroid Ryan? NO Stapleton (brothers)? No John O'Brien? No Paul Curran?

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/allianz-hurling-league-division-1a-tipperary-v-waterford/

NO shane Bourke either?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What do people think of the new panel? No seamus kennedy? Is Niall O'Meara injured? No Geroid Ryan? NO Stapleton (brothers)? No John O'Brien? No Paul Curran?

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/allianz-hurling-league-division-1a-tipperary-v-waterford/
    Dont have any real issues with that squad.
    Dont think Niall O Meara is injured unless he got injured in Fitzgibbon cup this week, which he is out of now as Mary I lost.
    Didnt Paddy Stapleton do something to his Hamstring in WCC so may not be back yet and he will be added when back fully fit?
    Think good few of the others have injuries and will be added back when fit.

O'Meara is on the panel - named on it - as is Stapleton (Paddy) - I was thinking of the Templederry lads - Brian and Tomas - Didn't Tomas play in teh waterford cup final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Garoid Ryan is injured for a while but I hear he'll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

O'Meara is on the panel - named on it - as is Stapleton (Paddy) - I was thinking of the Templederry lads - Brian and Tomas - Didn't Tomas play in teh waterford cup final?
    thanks.
    Brian's playing Fitzgibbon, may get a shot after his role in that competition ends. Tomas did play WC final. Presume he's been dropped since then.

• Advertisement

TIPP TEAM.

TIPPERARY (SH v Waterford) – Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, Conor O’Mahony, Michael Cahill; Shane McGrath, Padraic Maher, Conor O’Brien; Brendan Maher (Captain), James Woodlock; Seamus Callanan, Noel McGrath, Kieran Bergin; Jason Forde, Paddy Murphy, John O’Dwyer

Waterford has a very strong line out for Saturday night,I think this Tipp team will have a lot to do to beat them.

What do you make of the wing back choices?

Is it his groin again? You'd have to worry for his career....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Bit of a mix there. Strong Waterford team out and I think this side will have its work cut out for them.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

NO shane Bourke either?

Surprised Micko Heffernan didn`t make the Panel . At least Colin O`Riordan , Steven O`Brien and Seamus Kennedy can concentrate on Football now .

• Advertisement

On reflection - I jumped the gun - the above is teh match day panel - this is the enormous squad O'Shea is working with at the moment:

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/senior-hurling-panel/

all the players I initially thought and you mentioned - apart from Johno O'BRIEN who seems to be dropped - are on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Am happy with the team named with my only worry being the full back position but Curran has been a worry there in recent years anyway. Bergin up front could add a huge amount to this team. Hopefully Bubbles is allowed take the frees, seems to be the most consistent. Woodlock & B.Maher in midfield is my favoured midfield partnership. Brendan will track back more & Woodlock can move forward and break open defences which then creates the space that Tipp forwards (Corbett, Callanan) have always thrived off. Bookies have this one at 4/11, if it were closer to 8/11 I'd put a good bit on Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hopefully the younger players can give a good show of themselves sat night, like the look of o'dwyer and forde in the corners but not sure of paddy at full but o'shea most see something in the lad. As one Waterford boards member has said he dosent like the look of this tipp team were to much fur coats and no knickers .... Hopefully sat eve will show them were back to best and o'shea has put the belief back into this team.

NO shane Bourke either?

Fitzgibbon/Ryan etc will claim a few for the next month I imagine. Will be an interesting game tomorrow night. Hope the weather holds up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

NO shane Bourke either?
    On reflection - I jumped the gun - the above is teh match day panel - this is the enormous squad O'Shea is working with at the moment:

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/senior-hurling-panel/

all the players I initially thought and you mentioned - apart from Johno O'BRIEN who seems to be dropped - are on it

The panel you have linked is the offical training panel, the panel that was named on Thursday night is a 26 man panel exclusively for the league.

Seamus Kennedy, Paul Curran, Gar Ryan and Niall O'Meara, along with Jack Peters, David Collins, Micahel Breen and Tadgh Gallager are all iinjured at present.

The situation with John O'Brien seems unclear and neither side have clarified whether he is still part of their plans or whether he has chosen to retire.

What's the story with John Meagher? Would you have him in?

Shane Bourke was named on the league panel...and yet came on tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Very poor performance from tipp last night in Thurles. Michael Cahill apart very few players had stand out performances.

Waterford really should have had us dead and buried with 10 minutes to go as they missed countless good chances. Was only in the second half when Waterford started to tire which created space that the tipp forwards got going. Ultimately a soft goal from a free from Darren gleeson which proved the difference.

Very samey from tipp, still looking at the same players who haven't been good enough for the last few years. Would be Easy to say that it's early in the season and they will improve but the fact is its the same problems which have been around for the last few years. Failure to win any ball in the forwards, non existent half forward line. Waterford almost won every 50/50 ball.

We should be alright for the league as in terms of skill and ability we are possibly the best in the country but unless things change it will be the championship where fitness, speed, work rate and desire are key where we will be found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Only saw the 2nd half last night.
    Half forward line really struggled under puck outs, and all the full forward line were replaced by the end.
    When our forwards did get the ball they made much better use of it than Waterford's did, which cost Waterford the match in the end.
    Really slow start by us too, Waterford went around 6 points to 1 up very early on.
    Would start Denis Maher the next day, and try Mickey Cahill at midfield (thought he fully deserved MOTM), not sure who they could try in defence instead of him.
    Don't think Paddy Murphy has it for intercounty myself, we have better players imo.
    Anyone else think we should try work on a short game more? We definitely have the skill for it. Times where we hit the long ball in last night and it just came straight back out.
    On a positive note, at least we won!

One of the poorest inter county hurling games I attended in a long time last night,if Waterford were any good in the forwards they would have won the game handy enough,some of the Tipp performances just weren't good enough,Bubbles,Murphy,Forde,Noel Mc Grath not in the game at all while Paudie, Barrett and Cahill had good games.the cats will hammer us next week if we give a repeat performance against them.

• Advertisement

Woeful effort last night. Bubbles just had one of those games and i felt in general the inside line were starved. With the exception Bergin, the usual culprits were guilty of slouching on the 40......Not good enough. They've got enough chances in my opinion.
    Lar has taken alot of flak from the media but one or two others seem to get an easy ride. Time to cut them loose and usher in a new era i think. I said it last year and i remain adamant about it.

Ompala wrote: »
    Only saw the 2nd half last night.
    Half forward line really struggled under puck outs, and all the full forward line were replaced by the end.
    When our forwards did get the ball they made much better use of it than Waterford's did, which cost Waterford the match in the end.
    Really slow start by us too, Waterford went around 6 points to 1 up very early on.
    Would start Denis Maher the next day, and try Mickey Cahill at midfield (thought he fully deserved MOTM), not sure who they could try in defence instead of him.
    Don't think Paddy Murphy has it for intercounty myself, we have better players imo.
    Anyone else think we should try work on a short game more? We definitely have the skill for it. Times where we hit the long ball in last night and it just came straight back out.
    On a positive note, at least we won!

You make alot of good points but tbh im not so sure we'll get the room for the short game. Depends on the opponents really.

Tbf to Paddy he just lacks the ability. He has the heart and It was heartening to see him at least show for puck outs but even Conor Kenny is a better option and thats saying something.

Bubbles just had an off day. I felt Forde was starved of ball. He is a bit slow in terms of pace but he is very very skilful.

Time to say goodbye and good luck to both Noel and Callanan though. We'll meet tight games and neither of those cut the mustard any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm going to take it easy on the players for another few games but next week's fixture versus Kilkenny isn't exactly filling me with joy. It should make for a decent contest though: they're chasing their first win and we're looking to get better. I am glad of the win though and it wasn't in the best underfooting.

I will say thank God for Kieran Bergin (what a delicious long range point) and Michael Cahill. I thought Bergin got stuck in well and Cahill is some battler for us. Heart in spades. Barrett had a good debut and looks like he'll run for ages.

Gleeson's choice of attire was a strange one, essentially a polo shirt! :cool:

I'm going to take it easy on the players for another few games but next week's fixture versus Kilkenny isn't exactly filling me with joy. It should make for a decent contest though: they're chasing their first win and we're looking to get better. I am glad of the win though and it wasn't in the best underfooting.

I will say thank God for Kieran Bergin (what a delicious long range point) and Michael Cahill. I thought Bergin got stuck in well and Cahill is some battler for us. Heart in spades. Barrett had a good debut and looks like he'll run for ages.

Gleeson's choice of attire was a strange one, essentially a polo shirt! :cool:

it seemed to be one of those navy o'neills quarter zip tops.

Id imagine Tipp will introduce a navy outfield change shirt in the coming months that will become our change goalkeepers shirt also which we normally don against Waterford. As it is im not sure if we even brought out a new first choice goalkeeper top yet.

I'm going to take it easy on the players for another few games but next week's fixture versus Kilkenny isn't exactly filling me with joy.

Personally i think if we had the likes of Niall O'Meara, Colm O'Riordan, Liam Mcgrath, Bonnar, and John Meagher named against Kilkenny id be very optimistic as we would in the very least have an honest group of lads on the pitch that wont just down tools when things arent going our way.

Kilkenny aren't as imposing as they used to be. We just have to believe and really go out guns blazing with the intention and desire of absolutely battering them. Ask them the questions of them for a change and really panic them into thinking quickly in their clearances. Our current approach of letting their half backs clear ball after ball freely is just not good enough. We've made legends of them alone with our half-hazard approach.

Fúck sake sure were as good as Cork who knocked them out of the championship and we have better lads coming through the ranks. Time for the brave men to step up and the faint hearted boys to walk away though

Is John Meagher injured?

I agree with the sentiments regarding Noel and Seamus's work rate. However, if they were not on the field would we have won that game? I think we are too quick to throw players away...Noel needs open space. I would play him midfield and let the opposition midfield worry about him - he is not a center forward regardless of his play making abilities. Brendan Maher is needed at half back (even in the half forwards before midfield) as he can win ball in the air. John O'Brien has been our best ball winner - not on the panel anymore? Surely he is worth a sub. My team would be:

Glesson

Curran O'Mahony Stapleton (people talk about Curran's lack of pace - but he never really lets us down and is very physical and tough- that would be a tough full back line for me)

Cahill Maher Maher

Noelie Woodlock

O'Meara Bergin Bonnar

Bubbles Lar Forde(maybe Callinan if in top form)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Would be worried about that game in Nowlan Park next weekend, if Tipperary play as they did the last day it could be a routing. Definitely some positional changes required. Thought Callanan was very poor until he got the goal, couldn't win a ball or even chase down a back or force a hook or a block. Wouldn't worry about Bubbles, he will deliver. Was just an off day for him.

I agree with the sentiments regarding Noel and Seamus's work rate. However, if they were not on the field would we have won that game? I think we are too quick to throw players away...Noel needs open space. I would play him midfield and let the opposition midfield worry about him - he is not a center forward regardless of his play making abilities. Brendan Maher is needed at half back (even in the half forwards before midfield) as he can win ball in the air. John O'Brien has been our best ball winner - not on the panel anymore? Surely he is worth a sub. My team would be:

Dont get me wrong, when the game becomes wide open like the second half did the other night, both can be lethal. But in a tight game which we are going to meet quite a few of, then id be worried about their application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Personally i think if we had the likes of Niall O'Meara, Colm O'Riordan, Liam Mcgrath, Bonnar, and John Meagher named against Kilkenny id be very optimistic as we would in the very least have an honest group of lads on the pitch that wont just down tools when things arent going our way.

Kilkenny aren't as imposing as they used to be. We just have to believe and really go out guns blazing with the intention and desire of absolutely battering them. Ask them the questions of them for a change and really panic them into thinking quickly in their clearances. Our current approach of letting their half backs clear ball after ball freely is just not good enough. We've made legends of them alone with our half-hazard approach.

Fúck sake sure were as good as Cork who knocked them out of the championship and we have better lads coming through the ranks. Time for the brave men to step up and the faint hearted boys to walk away though

Give up looking to poach the footballers. Encourage them to get promotion and let us truly become a dual county.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement