Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

MPFG wrote: »
    Beñat Intxausti ?? ( won 2 stages last year dedicating them to his friend Xavier Tondo)

Full marks.

http://cycling-passion.com/2013/05/21/intxausti-wins-giro-d-italia-2013-stage-16/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

bazermc wrote: »
    The NI flyer barely makes reference to the stage 3 into Dublin.

I thought these tourist boards were suppose to be working together.

Why should the NI tourist board promote Dublin they are only interested in getting people to the North. .

A month to go and still no obvious indication that anything is happening . .
    I really cannot get my head around this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The NI flyer barely makes reference to the stage 3 into Dublin.

I thought these tourist boards were suppose to be working together.

A large percentage of people in the North think that the 6 counties are the centre of the universe. As far as they're concerned the giro will be over once it crosses the border

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    The NI flyer has stage 3 ending in Forkhill I think. Now DCC claim the race only goes from Dundalk-Drogheda and Malahide-Dublin... how's it getting from Drogheda to Malahide?

Commuter train. No bikes allowed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Resurfacing East Wall Road at the moment. Long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Why should the NI tourist board promote Dublin they are only interested in getting people to the North. .

A month to go and still no obvious indication that anything is happening . .
    I really cannot get my head around this

Saw a banner this morning promoting the Giro coming to Dublin. It's on the glass building beside City Hall on Dame Street. Haven't seen much else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I saw some pink saddle covers mentioning the dates on bikes parked on Dawson St. a few weeks ago. They appeared to have been put there as part of a campaign.

The Independent had an article yesterday...
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/video-dublin-to-turn-pink-as-the-giro-ditalia-set-to-roll-into-ireland-30166960.html

Every billboard on the route and also around Dublin city should be dedicated to advertising the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Is the GC realistically a two horse race between Quintana & Rodriguez? A surprise if anyone challenges them? Though with the power in the ranks of OPQS of late, I wonder if Uran will be beyond what one might have expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

pelevin wrote: »
    Is the GC realistically a two horse race between Quintana & Rodriguez? A surprise if anyone challenges them? Though with the power in the ranks of OPQS of late, I wonder if Uran will be beyond what one might have expected?

Uran is currently sick I believe and has gone back to Columbia (????) !!

One would suggest Chris Horner but he has/had tinnitus

There are the Italians Cunego, Pozzovivo, Scarponi & Basso

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Don't rule out Cadel Evans. BMC are twice the team they were since Alan Peiper came on as Performance Director, and Cadel individually showed a lot of strength in the TDU.

I'd love to see Sivtsov lead Sky in the Giro, he was amazing last year.

Don't rule out Cadel Evans. BMC are twice the team they were since Alan Peiper came on as Performance Director, and Cadel individually showed a lot of strength in the TDU.

I'd love to see Sivtsov lead Sky in the Giro, he was amazing last year.

Yes of course Cadel ....Nieve may be Sky leader but Deignan may be let off the leash hopefully

Not sure if Belkin are keeping all their top riders for the Tour and Tour of California

I assume Warren Baguil & FDJ & Eurocar are also in reserve for the Tour

But there are 2 very good Irish riders if in top form ..... :):)

Uran is currently sick I believe and has gone back to Columbia (????) !!

One would suggest Chris Horner but he has/had tinnitus

There are the Italians Cunego, Pozzovivo, Scarponi & Basso

Snigger. Not a chance anymore. Pozzovivo maybe at a push but the others? Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Snigger. Not a chance anymore. Pozzovivo maybe at a push but the others? Come on!

Scarponi could be there or thereabouts. Its not that long ago that he won it.

Well Cunego is motoring in Spain at the moment
    And Basso was flying in the Vuelta until he was caught in the cold ..

....So snigger ye not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

I saw some pink saddle covers mentioning the dates on bikes parked on Dawson St. a few weeks ago. They appeared to have been put there as part of a campaign.

The Independent had an article yesterday...
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/video-dublin-to-turn-pink-as-the-giro-ditalia-set-to-roll-into-ireland-30166960.html

Bus stop in doonybroke has an ad for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm not so sure about the Giro advertising in Belfast..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk4jSBSIEAAjBhi.jpg:large

I'm not so sure about the Giro advertising in Belfast..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk4jSBSIEAAjBhi.jpg:large

Is that for real ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is that for real ?

Eh no..........

RobFowl wrote: »
    Eh no..........

Dang, how did you know? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They're out repairing the road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle. The long (as in 2km) line of cones down the middle of the road means I've been dragging a line of cars behind me on my commute ; to be fair all well behaved.
    Just noticed a lot of spray marks on defects on the R127 (Lusk to Blake's Cross) today. Hopefully a resurfacing is on the way?

Just noticed a lot of spray marks on defects on the R127 (Lusk to Blake's Cross) today. Hopefully a resurfacing is on the way?

Patching, more like :[

letape wrote: »
    Scarponi could be there or thereabouts. Its not that long ago that he won it.
    Well Cunego is motoring in Spain at the moment
    And Basso was flying in the Vuelta until he was caught in the cold ..

....So snigger ye not !!

I'll have a bet with each of you that Scarponi, Basso and Cunego will not be in the top five of the Giro when it finishes...

Henlars67 wrote: »
    A large percentage of people in the North think that the 6 counties are the centre of the universe. As far as they're concerned the giro will be over once it crosses the border

I suppose what I find puzzling is when driving around Dublin there is plenty of adverts displaying the fact that the Giro is coming to NI.

But wait it is also coming in Dublin! I dont think much has been done to promote that.

I know plenty of people with a passing interest in cycling who are aware of the Giro in NI, but had no idea that they would be able to see it coming down the quays and finishing in Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Bus stop in doonybroke has an ad for it.

Bus stop in Donnybrook has one aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Ha ha I thought it looked wrong..

Completely off topic, but I always get laugh when I think of this

donnybrook
    ˈdɒnɪbrʊk/Submit
    nounN. AMER.AUSTRAL./NZ
    noun: donnybrook; plural noun: donnybrooks
    a scene of uproar and disorder; a heated argument.
    "raucous ideological donnybrooks"
    Origin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Completely off topic, but I always get laugh when I think of this

donnybrook
    ˈdɒnɪbrʊk/Submit
    nounN. AMER.AUSTRAL./NZ
    noun: donnybrook; plural noun: donnybrooks
    a scene of uproar and disorder; a heated argument.
    "raucous ideological donnybrooks"
    Origin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnybrook_Fair (not the shop)
    http://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/donnybrook-fair-carnival-versus-lent/

I'll have a bet with each of you that Scarponi, Basso and Cunego will not be in the top five of the Giro when it finishes...

You are probably right although Cunego ( and Evans) are going very well in Pais Vasco at present

Its is hard ot see past Quintana as he and Movistar are very strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

20 people riding city bikes down Dawson st wearing pale pink t shirts ringing bells. Writing very small on said shirts. Bravo dcc!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement