Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

MPFG wrote: »
    Mornaa & Happytramp

I guess you know best and Sean Kelly must be wrong then calling for more to be done in the Republic.

No he's right. I think we're just try to reason why more hasn't/isn't being done.

Ironically, that piece by Sean Kelly was the only Irish media reference to the Giro I've seen in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

MPFG wrote: »
    Morana & Happytramp

I guess you know best and Sean Kelly must be wrong then calling for more to be done in the Republic ...He obviously hasn't taken on board that is just a race passing through and there is very little possibility of beds, which is what really counts

@MPFG
    look i am just telling you what the irish tourist board say when you are looking for funds to promote a race and i assume it would be them stumping up for TV adverts etc

PS fixed my name for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Sorry about your name there Morgana :D

I know you are right about Irish Tourist board but my point was that they maybe should do something

Ah wellwe can only wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

So what happened to the route down the Howth Road ? I thought thats why it was resurfaced recently.

Cant believe its going along the Clontarf Road - its in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

^That would have saved me a trip. Never knew it was due to go down the Howth Road. Some parts are still in bits though, lots of standing water at the sides. Still better than the seafront road conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Yeah, it was in good shape before the storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

are there a group from boards.ie cycling the route ?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

RobFowl wrote: »
    Did the TDF do a lap of Howth? I don't recall that.

The Nissan did in 1988 and it destroyed my vision of Howth as being a serious hill :(

They went up in a group in the big ring (Village side)

They went up it four times, didn't split the bunch as far as I remember. Similarly the TDF stage that went over the Sally gap finished in a bunch sprit. Do we have to face facts that no hill in Ireland is though enough to split the pro peloton?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

figs666 wrote: »
    are there a group from boards.ie cycling the route ?????????????

BUMP:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Anyone know what time the team time trial is due to start in Belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

TT start at 17.30 on the Friday, practice session during the day.

What about the Big italian bike race sportive the weekend before in stage 2. All sold out, face book suggestion just to turn up and cycle away. Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

joxerjohn wrote: »
    What about the Big italian bike race sportive the weekend before in stage 2. All sold out, face book suggestion just to turn up and cycle away. Any thoughts ?

As with all sportives, its on the public highway, so there is nothing to stop you. Just dont expect to be allowed to use food/water/showers other facilities and neither will you be covered by the events insurance. Even if you are a memeber of a CI affiliated club, your RoI insurance should be checked to see of you are covered.

Good point as CI is an All Ireland Organisation, CI Insurance should be ok I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

happytramp wrote: »
    It's basically just a fairly direct route from Belfast to the airport that doesn't even really try to showcase much of the east coast scenery. I'd like to see a bigger deal of it made but it's basically a Northern Irish thing.

Stage to Dublin departs from Armagh, not Belfast.

Anyway, lots of the big races go through a huge propotion o nondescript, uninspiring countryside and landscapes. The route from Armagh to Dublin will look grand on TV. It will be nice and green, that's what people abroad will be happy to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

el tel wrote: »
    Stage to Dublin departs from Armagh, not Belfast.

Anyway, lots of the big races go through a huge propotion o nondescript, uninspiring countryside and landscapes. The route from Armagh to Dublin will look grand on TV. It will be nice and green, that's what people abroad will be happy to see.

Agreed.
    The bottom line is that an opportunity to promote tourism is being missed. Tourists have to be enticed to visit before they will be occupying any beds. This is an excellent marketing opportunity which, if managed with any degree of professionalism, could benefit the economy far beyond the duration of 'il Giro'.
    Unfortunately, common sense is not very common when it comes to investment by our state agencies.
    Lash up the prices, screw everyone, moan tomorrow about the lack of business. #ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

will Deignan ride? or is he still out injured? hes done well in the States last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    will Deignan ride? or is he still out injured? hes done well in the States last few years

he will ride. We are more worried to see if beasty will make an appearance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Anyone doing the grandfondo the week before it starts? Chainreaction are running it. 140 mile cycle up round the north antrim coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Anyone doing the grandfondo the week before it starts? Chainreaction are running it. 140 mile cycle up round the north antrim coast!

I'm planning on doing it, longest spin I've done this year was a 125k and I was bolloxed after a 95k spin last weekend so I have some work to do!! Did the ring of Kerry last year but this looks a lot tougher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Im panicking a bit to be honest! I have the paris marathon at the start of april so i am not able to get out for 100+ mile spins on the bike yet! The longest I've went this year is 60 mile! I'll be trying to squeeze in training in april for it which isn't ideal. I don't know if i will have it in the legs to go for 140 so I am considering dropping into the 80mile one which will be more than manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

A Giro related question - I think. I have a club jersey that I want to get signed by as many former TdF and Giro/Classic winners as possible. My idea is to eventually own a jersey with 15 - 20 names signed on it and then donate the jersey to Crumlin or St Vincents hospital to raise funds through auctioning it. I have Greg Lemond, Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly so far and I intend heading up to Belfast for the pre launch of the race in the hope of meeting a few other former champions - I missed out on Hinault last year on the Tour de Connemara (is he making an appearance at this years event ?). Has anybody experience of the pre race presentation before an event such as the Giro. What are the chances of meeting former champions - do the teams have exhibition stands etc ? If anyone has any help for me on this one I'd be very greatful.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Piece on RTE Morning Ireland at about 7.40 this morning, focussed on Dundalk and Cuchulainn CC. Featured Karl Dolan, Pat O'Shaughnessy and Eve McCrystal. Glad to see a bit of publicity and ambition at last - said they're preparing facilities in Dundalk so that all the campervans can stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    Piece on RTE Morning Ireland at about 7.40 this morning, focussed on Dundalk and Cuchulainn CC. Featured Karl Dolan, Pat O'Shaughnessy and Eve McCrystal. Glad to see a bit of publicity and ambition at last - said they're preparing facilities in Dundalk so that all the campervans can stock up.
    Did I hear them mention something about large screens being erected so that those in motorhomes could base themselves in Dundalk and follow it? (I was half asleep with the radio on).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Hello

Do we know what route the stage will take in to Dublin? Exactly what streets will the peleton take to arrive at merrion square? The maps available are not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is my stab at the last 100km based on the bits I have read here and there.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4243133

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

buffalo wrote: »
    As above

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Nice day outside Mahaffys if that's the route, thanks

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is my stab at the last 100km based on the bits I have read here and there.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4243133

I like how they nip onto the cycle track at the Clontarf Road/Alfie Byrne Road junction. :) :pac:

• Advertisement

Did I hear them mention something about large screens being erected so that those in motorhomes could base themselves in Dundalk and follow it? (I was half asleep with the radio on).

Yep, they did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement