Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's a shame, one of the riders I most wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Yeah, Cavendish certainly added to the overall colour of the Giro last year & showed great attitude to stick around & suffer thru the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rkantos

Anyone interested in going to see the Giro with a fan? Currently I've got a car with 4 free places, as it is just me going to see it. I'm located in Blanchardstown and would happily take a fan or two to see the Giro. I was thinking B&B, or even driving back to Dublin every night. I'd appreciate if you'd cover fuel costs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

You would have to seriously wonder just how Stephen Roche's brain works. He never was one to avoid an opportunity to pat himself on the back, but in recent years (in an effort to remain in the spotlight ?) he seems to increasing enjoy doing so in the context of stirring other peoples stories. His approach to the Roche-Martin family 'feud' is sad.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-untold-cycling-rivalry-30197620.html

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    You would have to seriously wonder just how Stephen Roche's brain works. He never was one to avoid an opportunity to pat himself on the back, but in recent years (in an effort to remain in the spotlight ?) he seems to increasing enjoy doing so in the context of stirring other peoples stories. His approach to the Roche-Martin family 'feud' is sad.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-untold-cycling-rivalry-30197620.html

Since there was a pretty long article last year by Paul Kimmage with the Martin family, much of it focusing on this very subject, I don't think it's fair to say you have to seriously wonder how Roche's brain works. That Kimmage piece was the one that brought this all out in the public arena with Kimmage making a big awkward play that Dan Martin's success was a thing of karma where the Martins were getting their own back on the Roches, and in which piece Stephen Roche was painted in a very negative light. The genuinely disappointing thing in the linked piece is Roche describing Dan as becoming Irish but this is a family issue that I think outsiders shouldn't be looking to choose good and bad guys.
    I wouldn't see this as much more than an unnecessary response to the Kimmage piece, which was itself more unnecessary again, and which had the added unfortunate element of Kimmage's own veiled drum to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

pelevin wrote: »
    Since there was a pretty long article last year by Paul Kimmage with the Martin family, much of it focusing on this very subject, I don't think it's fair to say you have to seriously wonder how Roche's brain works. That Kimmage piece was the one that brought this all out in the public arena with Kimmage making a big awkward play that Dan Martin's success was a thing of karma where the Martins were getting their own back on the Roches, and in which piece Stephen Roche was painted in a very negative light. The genuinely disappointing thing in the linked piece is Roche describing Dan as becoming Irish but this is a family issue that I think outsiders shouldn't be looking to choose good and bad guys.
    I wouldn't see this as much more than an unnecessary response to the Kimmage piece, which was itself more unnecessary again, and which had the added unfortunate element of Kimmage's own veiled drum to beat.

Eh..........What the heck has this got to do with with the Giro in Ireland 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This shows the the indo as nothing more than a tabloid with bigger pages, and this type of reporting is lazy and irrelevant. Go into any family and there will be tails of who did what etc. Such pieces of gossip are akin to the weak plot lines in fair city and the like. They have no bearing to cycling and (no offence to the op) I find it hard to understand why it is being mentioned in relation to one of the biggest cycling events in this country which should be focusing people's mind on the positive aspects of the sport.
    There is a saying that the Irish will never rule the world because as soon as they become successful they will start stabbing each other in the back.
    Two great cyclists in this year's home giro and the media is acting to the lowest common denominator.

bazermc wrote: »
    Eh..........What the heck has this got to do with with the Giro in Ireland 2014?

It was a response to the post above it. You can re-post the question asking that poster if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Provisional Startlist

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Giro_d_Italia_2014-Startlist

As expected 3 Irish

Movistar & Katusha, Garmin, Lampre , BMC , OPQS & Tnkoff/Saxo look strongest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Glad to see Deignan involved. Did Nett App not get a wildcard?

Pudsy33 wrote: »

No wildcard for Netapp

Forgot ..another Irishman of sorts looks like to be riding it ...Chris Juul Jensen

Pudsy33 wrote: »

He is in the Giro del Trentino at the mo with Bradley Wiggins....hope there are no mishaps

But looking ta the SKY team I think he is the strongest climber so he could get a very good chance for a stage win in the 3rd week if he remains well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Got an email to say that the tickets for the opening ceremony on the Thursday evening are being released tomorrow at 9am. Free, and first come first served.
    http://blog.visit-belfast.com/giro-ditalia-big-start-2014-belfast-northern-ireland/posts/register-for-giro-team-presentation-ticket-updates

finbarrk wrote: »
    Got an email to say that the tickets for the opening ceremony on the Thursday evening are being released tomorrow at 9am. Free, and first come first served.
    http://blog.visit-belfast.com/giro-ditalia-big-start-2014-belfast-northern-ireland/posts/register-for-giro-team-presentation-ticket-updates

I believe they cost a small fortune at the Tour in Yorkshire...nice that they are free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

watch out for young Fabio Aru in the Giro. looks to be one for the future

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Unsurprisingly, the ticket website has gone into meltdown :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Yup, anyone manage to actually get tickets?

Cond0r wrote: »
    Yup, anyone manage to actually get tickets?

Nope, after refreshing a good few times I've been put into a queue. Estimated time left 1.5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

in the queue 49 minutes left however it was there before and when back to 1hr 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Nope, after refreshing a good few times I've been put into a queue. Estimated time left 1.5 hours

Exact same for me. Couldn't get it to work at all from the link in the email they sent me, so went directly through the Visit Belfast website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

This arrived in the post for the morning - very exciting!

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/sport/giro-d-italia-2014-official-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My estimated time is 2 minutes, and has been for the last 31 minutes.
    I'm not optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Same for me. :(

Now gone to 00.00.00, but still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Absolute joke - ticket application opened before nine and then crashed - I was left hanging for 20 mins before the server just shut down - back waiting again - an estimated 25 mins - bet all the knobs who have never heard of the Giro or have even sat on a bike will get tickets - if there was anything on in Dublin I wouldn't bother my arse going up to Belfast ... but it seems just as in 1988 ... typical

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

So I'm on-line and started at 25 mins waiting time with a clock counting down - after 9 mins I'm now estimated waiting time of 23 mins ... some kind of fifth dimensional time warp thing going on in Belfast ... maybe we'll get to see the launching of the Titanic ...

I know it must be annoying waiting to see if you can get tickets but on the other hand I am glad its so popular......shows the publicity has worked and looks like a well supported Giro

(BTW I had the same problem at the Olympics ...people who never attended athletics in their life got tickets while some sports enthusiasts were left high and dry...it happened when there is a lottery and to be fair they probably didn't expect such interest)

A mate of mine has just been told, that all tickets are gone. Like me, he got onto site just before 9.00am.
    I'm still in queue. Still showing 00.00.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Emerg

I got as far as the tickets selection page twice, then it times out :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement