Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options
  • 07-01-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the route plan for the NI section of this on other boards threads and there doesn't seem to have been much update in the past few months. Anyone have more details of the route for the second stage?

Was thinking it might be nice to attempt some of this route myself before May. Would be cool to have had a go at it before the pros!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What would be cool is a Irish Giro sportif. Maybe the weekend before the race itself, tackle the two road stages back to back on the Saturday ad Sunday. I'm kinda expecting some organisation/club to do it as a fund raiser, but even if there was a crew of us from boards who could arrange to leave Armagh town at 9am or whatever the Sunday and cycle the route to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I was kind of hoping for a sportif to be organised alright, but I haven't seen any signs of it happening. If anyone from boards was looking to do it, i'd definitely be up for getting involved!

I was kind of hoping for a sportif to be organised alright, but I haven't seen any signs of it happening. If anyone from boards was looking to do it, i'd definitely be up for getting involved!
    Closer to the date we could just organise it ourselves, forget about paying for a jersey or food or whatever, just organise a bus to the start line from Dublin and then away we go. Wouldn't have to worry bout getting Garda approval either once we stick to the rules of the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Closer to the date we could just organise it ourselves, forget about paying for a jersey or food or whatever, just organise a bus to the start line from Dublin and then away we go. Wouldn't have to worry bout getting Garda approval either once we stick to the rules of the road.

Why would you start in Dublin? Its the otherway around

godtabh wrote: »
    Why would you start in Dublin? Its the otherway around
    I meant organise a bus from Dublin to the start line (Armagh), then cycle back (if there's enough of us based in Dublin obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I meant organise a bus from Dublin to the start line (Armagh), then cycle back (if there's enough of us based in Dublin obviously)

Makes more sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

What would be cool is a Irish Giro sportif. Maybe the weekend before the race itself, tackle the two road stages back to back on the Saturday ad Sunday. I'm kinda expecting some organisation/club to do it as a fund raiser, but even if there was a crew of us from boards who could arrange to leave Armagh town at 9am or whatever the Sunday and cycle the route to Dublin.

Had the same thought when the Route was announced as it passes near my front door through Bablriggan & Skerries. Would required a bit of logistics in terms of getting up there with a bike. One possible option I was thinking would be to get the train up to Newry then cycle over to Armagh the night before. Also would be good if a large group do it as the prevailing wind is usually Southerly so your talking headwind all the way.

I reckon Monday 5th May (Bank Holiday Monday) we tackle this route so.....

3.jpg

3.jpg

What about getting the train the newry. Cycle to Armagh and do the route. Or organise a transfer from there

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    What about getting the train the newry. Cycle to Armagh and do the route. Or organise a transfer from there

Great idea wish I had thought of that ;-)

detones wrote: »
    Great idea wish I had thought of that ;-)

My sarcasm meter just exploded. Whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Quintana's coming to Ireland :)

/oh wait that means.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

etape for the giro ????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Quintana's coming to Ireland :)

/oh wait that means.......:(

Dan and Quintana always seems to have decent battles, should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Great idea re event, organised or simply a spin probably depends on numbers.

I had also thought of a vintage event, or meet, for Italian bikes during the 3 days...but not exclusively Italian bikes as so many had Italian parts!

Neither idea of sportive/vintage event mutually exclusive if held on the same day I would think. Sure we could get leverage out of both - gratuitous pun to justify this pic:

8451048835_2900d2a613_n.jpg

Best to all,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Dan and Quintana always seems to have decent battles, should be interesting.

Roche is also going for the Giro so it makes it very interesting from our perspective.

But..........the TDF.........it'll be a cakewalk for vroom vroom Froome !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Roche is also going for the Giro so it makes it very interesting from our perspective.

But..........the TDF.........it'll be a cakewalk for vroom vroom Froome !

It was going to be anyway with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It was going to be anyway with the course.

Not so sure he's relishing the cobbles.

But who's going to challenge him?

Looking forward to stage 15 of the Giro. Flat stage to Montecampione then a brute of a climb to the ski village. I've driven it a few times and not enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

looks like the giro will be the most exciting grand tour now with quintana added to it. bad news for tdf fans tho but great news for froome ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Where is the finish line in Dublin? Can't see it on that map.

Anybody hear of a Sportive linked to the Giro? Would have thought it would be an obvious opportunity to run one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Heard something I'm surprised a Mc Quaid hasn't hijacked the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Heard something I'm surprised a Mc Quaid hasn't hijacked the idea.

Darach McQuaid is the guy behind the idea, the same guy who single handed brought the Giro to this Island, the level of hate for that family is getting pretty childish, if you think they should not be involved in cycling events go off and organise a cycling event of a similar size and prestige, rather than complaining about the McQuaids who have actually done something pretty good with this event. Roll on May

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=119493

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

detones wrote: »
    Anybody hear of a Sportive linked to the Giro? Would have thought it would be an obvious opportunity to run one.

This do you?

http://road.cc/content/news/110910-three-day-sportive-celebrate-giro-d%E2%80%99italia%E2%80%99s-irish-start-video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Paddigol

This crowd are doing something - www.give2go.ie - La Passione Rosa

buffalo wrote: »
    I was hoping to do the actual Giro route, so that when I'm watching the actual race the following week I can laugh at how easy the pros make my struggle look. This looks like just a sportif in Antrim, linked to the Giro only by the county.
    Paddigol wrote: »
    This crowd are doing something - www.give2go.ie - La Passione Rosa
    Just seems to have the price so far - €200! I was hoping for something more basic (I realise some of that money probably goes to charity)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

finbarrk wrote: »
    Where is the finish line in Dublin? Can't see it on that map.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

finbarrk wrote: »
    Anyone?

Merrion Square as far as I know. There's gonna be a village and bike show there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The map (http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/attachment.aspx?attachmentID=1628) shows a rough idea of the finish, but full details wont be published until much closer to the event. It seems to come along the north quays and finish in the south centre city, so Merrion Square looks perfectly possible - if not then maybe College Green as its already been successfully used for mass participant events, albeit that these were mostly nighttime, and the Giro finish will be mid afternoon on a Sunday. I'm sure it will be great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement