Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

buffalo wrote: »
    I like how they nip onto the cycle track at the Clontarf Road/Alfie Byrne Road junction. :) :pac:

Amended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is my stab at the last 100km based on the bits I have read here and there.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4243133

You sure that's the route from Skerries heading towards Baldongan as apposed to the main road? Would be good if it is as would make a good viewing point, they may have to slow a small bit going up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would like to have seen the route go to Sutton Cross for the hairpin back to the Dublin road (rather than go straight at Baldoyle).

detones wrote: »
    You sure that's the route from Skerries heading towards Baldongan as apposed to the main road? Would be good if it is as would make a good viewing point, they may have to slow a small bit going up the hill.

Amended, you are right, goes up the R127 from Skerries round the Lusk bypass to Blakes Cross.

2 more:

North of Dunleer - I would have assumed they would enter Dunleer via the R132 (the old road) i.e. turn left below Mullens Cross rather than head south to the M1 interchange?

Swords/Malahide - via Estaury Road or to Pavilions Roundabout and east on the R106?

• Advertisement

2 more:

North of Dunleer - I would have assumed they would enter Dunleer via the R132 (the old road) i.e. turn left below Mullens Cross rather than head south to the M1 interchange?

Swords/Malahide - via Estaury Road or to Pavilions Roundabout and east on the R106?

Based on this

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/27752/294234.png

I have the route down Estuary Road

Added in your edit at Dunleer, it appears to be correct based on the highlevel route map available earlier in the thread.

Amended

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just realised that this passes my front door in Dundalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Amended, you are right, goes up the R127 from Skerries round the Lusk bypass to Blakes Cross.

Ah crap, so there's no where near me were they'll be going less than 40kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I don't think it's going through Drogheda via west and shop st but is going straight through from George's st accross the river and up the old Dublin rd to julianstown .

moonshadow wrote: »
    I don't think it's going through Drogheda via west and shop st but is going straight through from George's st accross the river and up the old Dublin rd to julianstown .

Aye I noticed that when reviewing it for the last changes and changed the route per what you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

The corner \ chicane at the end of Westland Row will be very tricky at full lead out speed :eek:
    and only about 250 - 300m from the finish line!!

299094.JPG

Ok someone kindly furnished me with the route notes, and this is about as much sense as I can make of them.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4245078

Main changes from earlier are it goes through Lusk village not round the bypass, and doesn't go to Sutton Cross, also added in the full route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Should there be a north east meet, show of force or boardsie gathering at some designated point along the east coast run into Dublin ??

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Should there be a north east meet, show of force or boardsie gathering at some designated point along the east coast run into Dublin ??

Def down for this

..........and appropriately wearing the pink kit of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

..........and appropriately wearing the pink kit of course!

Yes and maybe have pink hair or/and all together spell out something like "BOARDS.IE SAYS HI" or some such with letters on shirts or held in hands or on barechests ....so we in UK can see you all on on TV ( and smile) and point to our real mates and say Look at those eejits
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

deadly as my parents live across from the Train station.

Cant wait!!!

Signed by to the Giro website to help on the day. Hopefully, I'll be able to do something around the Train Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Can the Borads Argos-Shimano Team arrange to join the race at some point? Preferably near the finish, to suit our lead out train. I've been practicing for months. Well, I haven't really. But I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

Should there be a north east meet, show of force or boardsie gathering at some designated point along the east coast run into Dublin ??[/

How about the Gingerman pub an hours before the sprint trains arrive on Merrion square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

logik wrote: »
    Just realised that this passes my front door in Dundalk!

What time do you want us there at?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Piece on RTE Morning Ireland at about 7.40 this morning, focussed on Dundalk and Cuchulainn CC. Featured Karl Dolan, Pat O'Shaughnessy and Eve McCrystal. Glad to see a bit of publicity and ambition at last - said they're preparing facilities in Dundalk so that all the campervans can stock up.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20140318,20545535,20545535,flash,232

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gerryhev

Belfast seems to be near full for the weekend, but found this website on a web search, www.girorooms.co.uk and guy seems to be on stickybottle too, maybe worth a look, build up has been very quiet, is there much anticipation around Dublin or just pure cyclists looking forward to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Front page of the Metro this morning - the publicity profile is rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

gerryhev wrote: »
    Belfast seems to be near full for the weekend, but found this website on a web search, www.girorooms.co.uk and guy seems to be on stickybottle too, maybe worth a look, build up has been very quiet, is there much anticipation around Dublin or just pure cyclists looking forward to it?

I'm not a cyclist but I have Belfast booked for 2 nights. Travelling from Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Milan - San Remo is on Eurosport on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Although i can find the Giro routes i can't find the start times

can anyone help with the expected start times of the stages in Ireland

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Ok someone kindly furnished me with the route notes, and this is about as much sense as I can make of them.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4245078

Main changes from earlier are it goes through Lusk village not round the bypass, and doesn't go to Sutton Cross, also added in the full route.

really hope they do something about a number of the roads on the run in to the finish. Apart from the obvious danger factor of the pro peloton steaming through it will be quite embarrassing for Dublin and the local councils if there are any crashes as a result. With it now being the end of march i wouldn't hold up much hope for change in the short time left

The estuary road into Malahide coming to Seabury is in a shocking condition and also has speed ramps that are in a really bad state of repair.

the road through Baldoyle village is very bad and basically from there on into the finish the road condition has been well documented for a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What would be cool is a Irish Giro sportif. Maybe the weekend before the race itself, tackle the two road stages back to back on the Saturday ad Sunday. I'm kinda expecting some organisation/club to do it as a fund raiser, but even if there was a crew of us from boards who could arrange to leave Armagh town at 9am or whatever the Sunday and cycle the route to Dublin.

well lads , are we doing one or not ??:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement