Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Certain, Rob Hatch has been talking a little bit about the different Italian bits and bobs him and Sean have been picking up, and I know for sure Sean wouldn't be anywhere else during a grand tour. Rob Hatch is just far less interesting than Kirby :pac:

AFAIK they're in a studio in London. They're definitely not in Italy, unless Kelly has a teleporter. :)

Rob Hatch does my fr1ckin head in. All that over-pronunciation and then he pronounces Rás to rhyme with "grass" and Drogheda as "Drokeda". Makes me think he's equally inaccurate in all his other forced linguistics.

Bring back Declan Quigley!!! I thought himself and Seán were brilliant together last year. All they were missing was a few creamy pints and a few balls o' malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Hatch doesn't have the turn of phrase required to give the same sense of athmosphere that Carlton brings. He also doesn't make enough errors so that Séan can gently correct him. I hope he's back for the tour and the vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i am hatch fan myself, hes well researched, serious, likes to try get things right and handles sean well.

Kirby is great for a while but in final he just makes too many mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I've no problem with Hatch either. Not the best at adding atmosphere but overall I'd say a good pro. I'd think it's an Irish bias to be lamenting the lack of Declan Quigley. I wouldn't feel he's a step up at all. Kirby is very much the rough with the smooth - he can be unbelievably annoying but then he can surprise with slices of brilliance, & in terms of atmosphere & a sense of excitement he obviously can deliver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I actually didn't like Quigley at all, found him a little dull. Kirby/Kelly or Harmon/Kirby/Kelly for me, nothing else will do :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Yes Kelly & Kirby or Harmon & Kelly ....all else is monotonous ...yes professional but monotonous

But he is what he is, & accepted a bit monotonous but I'd choose Hatch over Quigley.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Watched the stage last night after reading this thread. The one thing I found very annoying was the commentator continually telling us what the gradient was, despite it being on screen for the viewer to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When they're commentating live they may not be able to see the same pictures that the viewer do, it might be just a raw feed or one without the graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What's the consensus on Majka's performance?

There were plenty of rumblings about how the Polish fans were slating Nico's performances and his apparent status as co-leader. The belief amongst them seemingly that Nico was vastly over-rated, his performances unspectacular and not nearly as good as Majka's.

Did Majka's do anything to justify their belief in him? His 6th place strikes me as not nearly as impressive as Nico's 5th in the Vuelta last year. To me he seemed comfortable throughout the Giro, but never put his hand up as a genuine contender. Cadel, Uran, Aru, Pozzo - even Hejsdal... they all attacked at various stages to try make something happen in their quest for a podium place, and and rode liked they believed they were genuine contenders.

He may be a more talented rider than Nico, but that's a whole other debate. Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Personally I waited and waited, and nothing seemed to happen. Rogers came away with the most from that Giro for the team in my opinion. Granted, that he got to ride with less pressure on him.

• Advertisement

Well I am not sure if I should answer this as I have a bee in my bonnet about Roche as Gordongekko will testify

I think Majka is a very good climber but he is not spectacular. The team were saying he was ill towards the end of the race with stomach pains...if these came as a result of the drop in performance or caused it ,it was not clear...At 24 he has time to develop but he has not won a race yet in his pro career and maybe his concentration on GC at this stage maybe curtail him as it has done others whereas someone like Dan Martin has been more open with his opportunities.But having said that I think Martin is a rider of far more class

As for the Polish fans I can see their point re Nico...I too was surprised with his co leader status when he couldn't climb for toffee. I kept asking the question re his status cos I thought Riis and the other DS were saying he was in good form ??? I know he is 'a bit disappointed' ...a bit ??? a bit ?? What was he doing in all those training camps ?? Surely his numbers must have been good for co leader status and 001 number...As for the publicity issue Dan Martin & Philip Deignan got alot with out the leader status

Rodgers was the star of the team for me..Fantastic downhill solo TT to win one stage and then a great climb of Mount Zoncolon to win an iconic stage of the Giro that will be brought up again and again over the years in every Giro that goes to that climb. He had great strength and he is not considered a top climber

Roche must be smarting that he didn't win that stage or the one he was 5th in

Nico better get his finger out & get his weight down....Whatever the Polish fans say he does have the ability to be up there on GC or win stages,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

bring back harmon... why did he leave anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

David Duffield used to spend most of the day talking about the bottle of wine and food that himself and Sean had for dinner the night before. So much so that there would be a crash or an attack and he'd completely miss it!

spot on! he would start telling a story half an hour be still telling it..he was great for the clichés also like keep your powder dry and jolly good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    bring back harmon... why did he leave anyway?

Left to deal with depression, he's recovered now though. Hopefully back on the airwaves soon!

Well there was this interview piece with Nico Rpche back in January:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/nicolas-roche-on-his-dad-contador-and-froome_317890

. . . and I think it shows that there was no real controversy in the team regarding team leader.

"VN: Will you lead the team’s GC hopes?

NR: I will lead with Rafa [Majka]. He’s proven over last year that he was capable of being close to the podium. He was sixth in his first grand tour as a captain, so I think Rafa is the No. 1 choice. I will be there as a plan B. In the Giro, there are many crashes, the weather conditions are usually horrible, and so it’s not bad to have two options."

I don't think Roche was being shafted in any real sense. I think Nico should have won that breakaway stage where he came 5th, and had he done so then it'd be a very positive Giro for him. Since he considers his form to improve through a season, I don't think he & the team will be too down about his Giro. As for how good Majka is, I don't think my knowledge & contribution would amount to a whole lot. He looks very good though certainly overshadowed by, besides obviously Quintana, for instance Aru, who looks a fair bit more explosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Left to deal with depression, he's recovered now though. Hopefully back on the airwaves soon!

We might have to wait a while, I think he tweeted that he is ready to go back but eurosport don't want him.

I think Hatch and Kelly seem to have built a good chemistry. Kelly seemed more relaxed with him than Kirby.

I thought Harmon left Eurosport for Sky and then got depressed
    So its not a case they didn't want him back....more a case he had left then and they had employed others

I don't think Roche was being shafted in any real sense. I think Nico should have won that breakaway stage where he came 5th, and had he done so then it'd be a very positive Giro for him. Since he considers his form to improve through a season, I don't think he & the team will be too down about his Giro

No one was saying he was shafted ...on the contrary ...he wasn't good enough, even though team & himself were saying he was in good form..that is the mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

MPFG wrote: »
    No one was saying he was shafted ...on the contrary ...he wasn't good enough, even though team & himself were saying he was in good form..that is the mystery

He'd been going okay until the crash I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I thought Harmon left Eurosport for Sky and then got depressed
    So its not a case they didn't want him back....more a case he had left then and they had employed others

I believe that the real reason might be more serious and sinister than that.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Well are you going to tell us or are you just going to tantalise us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Well are you going to tell us or are you just going to tantalise us :D

Nah. Just to say that things are not always as straight forward as they may appear. I'd get into trouble if I said anything else on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Nah. Just to say that things are not always as straight forward as they may appear. I'd get into trouble if I said anything else on the matter.

Sure nobody reads this. It's just you and me

like LUsk I have heard a more personal reason and that his reputation is now tarnished

Like happytramp said, I dunno if there was that much mystery about Roche's form. The big moment for him was the big crash. I thought just poor tactics probably cost him a stage & 4th on the Zoncolan was no joke. There wasn't a whole lot of call for him to push himself 100% other than that. Dragged the lads up the Stelvio was for what turned out no value whatsoever was probably his other big contribtution!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Sure nobody reads this. It's just you and me

I have too know....

I have too know....

pm me if you do want know more

Very good video this of the Zoncolon

But maybe have left out the top guys/GC guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement