Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Crankymonkey

Biological passport only. Anyone with a high orange cell count will be forced to hum the tune of the Sunday Game.
    Ach now, the orange folk are as biological as the rest, unless we're all claiming direct lineage to brian boru

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    hope it doesn't go by Croke Park. the residents will be complaining...

You try living in a place where every Sunday during the season you can't find a parking spot, your local shops and pubs are rammed, people dump litter and pee in your front garden and... is this what it's like to live in Batterstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

pelevin wrote: »
    Yeah it'd be great to see the our lads flying though I don't think there's logically a lot to go on in terms of how they'll be. Dan in terms of the overall there seems no track record to justify a belief in a podium, which though doesn't mean this won't be where he turns that around - & he's been very quiet thus far this year; while Nicolas I also don't think we really have a clue where his form is at or is likely to be at.

According to Pro Cycling Stats race numbers it looks like both Irish lads are team leaders for LBL...unless those numbers change..which they might

Mind you I think both better suited to La Fleche Wallonne finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Biological passport only. Anyone with a high orange cell count will be forced to hum the tune of the Sunday Game.

The peleton will cross the border singing

Óró,'s é do bheatha abhaile,
    Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

bazermc wrote: »
    Will there be passport checks carried out when the peleton cross the border from the British Isles into the Free State

We are in the British Isles...***Ducks****

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    We are in the British Isles...***Ducks****

If David Norris was president we could have sang God save the queen....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

Went to collect my bike from the train station after work and what was waiting for me but a lovely Giro pink promotional saddle cover:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

RobFowl wrote: »
    If David Norris was president we could have sang God save the queen....

Jeeze I said David Norris is fierce fond of the pink saddle covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Piece on Giro on RTE 1's Sean O'Rourke show now with Paul Kimmage and Darragh McQuaid

Paul Kimmage still beating the Drum......what does he want .....no Giro to come to Ireland when he says Mcquaid is welcoming dopers ???

Also has a go at Contador ..."he would not be World number 1 if he was clean" according Paul...

If you listen to Kimmage its the dirtiest sport in the world and there has been no improvement ....if you were an non cycling bystander and heard Kimmage you'd not get interested in cycling

Pity he can't express himself with some balance and acknowledge improvements......but where would his evangelical crusade go then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

MPFG wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage still beating the Drum......what does he want .....no Giro to come to Ireland when he says Mcquaid is welcoming dopers ???

Also has a go at Contador ..."he would not be World number 1 if he was clean" according Paul...

If you listen to Kimmage its the dirtiest sport in the world and there has been no improvement ....if you were an non cycling bystander and heard Kimmage you'd not get interested in cycling

Pity he can't express himself with some balance and acknowledge improvements......but where would his evangelical crusade go then

I have huge respect for Kimmage and what he's done for cycling, the sport still needs people like him. Also I'd never criticise anyone for having a go at Contador.

colm18 wrote: »
    I have huge respect for Kimmage and what he's done for cycling, the sport still needs people like him. Also I'd never criticise anyone for having a go at Contador.

The problem is he is saying (not just suggesting ) that Contador is not clean ....how does he know this .....he would not last very long on this board with such statements ...imagine he would be banned

I don't think he should make statements about individuals without evidence and
    also "what he has done for cycling" - many people have done alot for cycling not just Kimmage - but they are not hell bent of knocking the sport at every opportunity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Contador is a convicted doper riding for a team run by a doper who cheated his way to a TDF using industrial amounts of EPO.
    I see PK's point of view and it's people like him who stop sport covering up doping.
    I'm looking forward to the Giro but not as much as I look forward to the Ras every year.
    And nowhere near as much as I look forward to the cross season and club league.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Okay, that's the way he sees it. I didn't hear the interview but you'd hope he'd balance that with some level of support for cycling and enthusiasm for the forthcoming G d'I

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That wouldn't sell many books

Contador is a convicted doper riding for a team run by a doper who cheated his way to a TDF using industrial amounts of EPO.
    I see PK's point of view and it's people like him who stop sport covering up doping.
    I'm looking forward to the Giro but not as much as I look forward to the Ras every year.
    #

No one wants to cover up doping ..many people who are not Paul Kimmage have done alot to clean up the sport and continue to do so.....the point is to have a balanced account of the sport so it doesn't sound to the uninitiated ...like it totally corrupt...balance is far from Kimmage's modus operandi

As for Contador ...he served his ban and every team in the peloton has some doping issues ...its biased to pick on Contador only and wrong to suggest he is still doping without evidence

Garmin for instance is a team run by an ex doper and has alot of ex dopers.......
    But are we going to give people the benefit of the doubt as the sport gets cleaner or are we going to harp on and on about how dirty it is

Well I guess if you are Paul Kimmage its the latter

No one wants to cover up doping ..

Cheers that's made my day, always good to have a laugh out loud moment :rolleyes:

Cheers that's made my day, always good the have a laugh out loud moment :rolleyes:

Imeant no reasonable person ....:rolleyes:

Imeant no reasonable person ....:rolleyes:

So in cycling that rules out ex UCI presidents, team owners, race organisers, riders past and present and seemingly the majority of fans.....

So in cycling that rules out ex UCI presidents, team owners, race organisers, riders past and present and seemingly the majority of fans.....

So anyone who supports doping in my book...so yeah except not sure the majority of fans do....(and just for good measure ;)) ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

On the other hand, Darach McQuaid thinks cycling is too clean...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2014/0416/609319-kimmage-cycling-still-shadowed-by-doping/

“Most other sports probably looked at cycling when they saw Alberto Contador having a positive test for again whatever pictograms of clenbuterol in his system, and said, ‘My god,y’know, cycling is even doing too much'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Belfast has really got into the spirit in some random ways. I think cycling has never been so prominent in the collective consciousness.

Dublin's got flegs:

BlXFT8uIUAAtB04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

What you have to remember about Paul Kimmage is that he's not happy unless he's unhappy.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭wav1

Thats hit the nail on the head for me anyway.Yes i'll go see the Giro,bit its the 2nd most important stage race in May in Ireland IMO.As for Paul,i have a lot of time for him,but folk are fed up with his permanent anti cycling rants all the time[regardless of whos in charge of the sport it appears]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

At this stage as far I'm concerned, Kimmage abandoning the biography of Brian O Driscoll very late in the day because, according to Kimmage, O Driscoll was doing an interview with someone off another paper than the Indo & wouldn't desist from doing so after Kimmage asked him . . . you'd have to be so far up yourself, so narcissistic and immature to behave in this manner that it's truly off the scale. A year or so ago I'd have imagined I was very firmly on Kimmage's side in broad terms regarding attitudes to various issues, but by now I feel very, very different & the O Driscoll thing is only a symptom of this consistently off-putting behaviour. For example, with his typical insulting self-righteousness, describing Brian Cookson days before the UCI election as having "the backbone of a jellyfish". A video piece he did on Jonny Sexton a while back embarrassingy unwatchable though that's more criticism on the professional side of things, though it was typically self-obsessed rather than a piece about Sexton as it should have been and as any journalist should have the cop-on and modesty to realise, rather than placing himself almost as centre stage as the supposed subject of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Back on topic. Veloviewer wants YOUR help...

https://m.facebook.com/VeloViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 23 flutehook

bazermc wrote: »
    The peleton will cross the border singing

Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh,

Just like the old days so. I can hear the tune Christle clear in my mind alright!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Back on topic. Veloviewer wants YOUR help...

https://m.facebook.com/VeloViewer

I went there - https://www.facebook.com/VeloViewer/posts/503773586395408 - and it's linked to here. And here is linked to there... it took me five hours before I managed to escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Cavendish to miss the Giro and do the Tour of California instead.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-to-miss-the-giro-ditalia

CPL 593H

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement