Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's ads on RTE the whole time for the Giro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There's ads on RTE the whole time for the Giro now.

I've seen plenty on UTV about the Gran Partenza but yet to see one about it coming to Dublin on RTE... maybe thats because I don't watch a whole lot on RTE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

RobFowl wrote: »
    Did the TDF do a lap of Howth? I don't recall that.

The Nissan did in 1988 and it destroyed my vision of Howth as being a serious hill :(

They went up in a group in the big ring (Village side)

Ah, that explains why I found it so tough. I never knew about this. Next time it'll be no bother to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

It is such a shame Netapp are not in the Giro
    With Cav, Kittle or Greipel not riding the Giro Sam could have taken some stages

Dan Martin has been very quiet lately ......must be doing some fierce training
    He is going to win a good few races in March/April

• Registered Users Posts: 3 denjo17

The Giro is as always for the climbers. thats why its so much more fun to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

denjo17 wrote: »
    The Giro is as always for the climbers. thats why its so much more fun to watch.
    also the weather can be unpredictable making it more exciting than the tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beasty wrote: »
    Shush! it's all part of the cunning plan - the Irish lads know their way round Dublin ....

Irish Taxi Team? D'ye wanna go by de m50 or true town ladz?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Where is the finish line in Dublin city centre lads?, and whats the closest pub? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Think it's Merrion Square so maybe the bar in the Dáil!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I wonder will RTE/TG4 do a highlights programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

They'll do it like the Rás. A full week of racing in a 30 minute show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Plastik wrote: »
    They'll do it like the Rás. A full week of racing in a 30 minute show.

Pity! Plenty of material to do a good hour long show every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

pkvader wrote: »
    Where is the finish line in Dublin city centre lads?, and whats the closest pub? :)

Gingerman might be best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Pity! Plenty of material to do a good hour long show every night.

But do they have the television rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

What's the story is anyone into riding the stage into Dublin a couple of weeks beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    would be great to see the locals in belfast all wearing pink for the giro. but some would also disapprove ha

Talkabout and myself are getting this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

el tel wrote: »
    In marked contrast, the publicity in the North is quite impressive. It's on TV all the time, and all over social media. There is quite a buzz and people seem to be buying to it in a big way. Every week I get a couple of emails from Belfast City Council about various associated events which have been ongoing since the start of the year.

Maybe if it was renamed 'Google d'Italia' or 'Giro d'Intel' the state agencies in the Republic would be all over it like a rash.
    Just not American enough as Giro d'Italia.

Kelly is correct in his summation and a lot of people are going to get a shock when this great race hits town.
    Another opportunity missed. Perhaps those 'green shoots' are blocking the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Twould be great if RTE made or showed a couple of quality Giro documentaries in the lead-in to it. Obviously there's dramatic storylines & epic scenery in there; for instance particularly if they chose to focus on the Bartali/Coppi era with Bartali's work in the Italian resistance a real hook for a wider audience.

And then there's Stephen Roche's Giro win which has to be one of the most drama & intrigue filled of all Grand Tour wins. Roche had to be made of unbelievable stuff to push through for that win. They should certainly be airing a documentary with Roche on board though of course it should already be made, with just the airing of it to be done.

Really, come to think of it with any kind of objectivity, what Roche did that year completely surpasses every other Irish sporting achievement ever - focusing on one concentrated period like one season now rather than say an entire career where obviously the achievements of Kelly or Brian O Driscoll you could say go higher. We'd basically have to win a World Cup in rugby or soccer to be talking in any kind of comparable terms as to what Roche did in 87, the only other person to have done that Treble being Merckx, for me the most epic of all sportsmen, & it certainly doesn't look like anyone's going to be repeating it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Ladbrokes betting odds on the Giro below

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/ie-ie/Cycling/Giro-d%27ItaliaCycling/Giro-d%27Italia-t210004186

Any stand-out things there for anyone. Horner at 25/1 for instance for a guy who just won the Vuelta - realistic or generous. Roche at 125/1 - is a podium highly, highly unlikely?

pelevin wrote: »
    Ladbrokes betting odds on the Giro below

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/ie-ie/Cycling/Giro-d%27ItaliaCycling/Giro-d%27Italia-t210004186

Any stand-out things there for anyone. Horner at 25/1 for instance for a guy who just won the Vuelta - realistic or generous. Roche at 125/1 - is a podium highly, highly unlikely?

Well I think the odds for Nico are totally ridiculous

Did no one see the Vuelta ???

I know he will find the Zoncolan tough but he can certainly hang in there
    And there are 2 ITT and three weeks of racing and he is one of the most consistent in top finishes
    How is MIkja 40/1 and Dan 66/1 but Nico 125/1
    Mijka is a good climber but for the Angrilu he was far below Nico in the Vuelta esp in first 2 weeks
    And much as I love Dan he does not TT , never been in a top 5 in GT and 3 weeks always proves a bit much for him

But the more people here say Nico won't do well the more he will I reckon so keep it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

was talking to my sister recently, who lives up north, and she told that there is a real buzz up north and even she ,who has never had any interest in cycling, cant wait. the main difference seems to but the amount of events in the lead up to the giro and the push for tourism related to it, as for here there was a article in the drogheda independant a couple of weeks ago complaining how much trouble it will cause for the town with traffic,communions etc and nothing about the positives like tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PHILI007

Obviously the organisers haven't seen the Clontarf or East Wall roads recently, they're an absolute disgrace. Apart from the potholes and deplorable surfaces there are 40/50mm wide grooves right down the centre of the Clontarf Road. While crossing the Clontarf Road recently, I got caught in one of these grooves and almost ended up in the path of an on coming car. What a shame it would be if a front rider did likewise and ended up bringing down the bunch. Are these comments going to fall on deaf ears or will somebody wake up and take note before this wonderful sporting event comes to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

but there is no stage here..just a finish. So i guess if there was a prologue or start and finish it would be different.

TourismNI is doing it to try get bed nights sold in NI for the race. Do people think there will be a load of people coming for a stage finish in Merrion Sq. I am not being negative I think its great its coming

morana wrote: »
    but there is no stage here..just a finish. So i guess if there was a prologue or start and finish it would be different.

TourismNI is doing it to try get bed nights sold in NI for the race. Do people think there will be a load of people coming for a stage finish in Merrion Sq. I am not being negative I think its great its coming

But it is not just about selling beds at the race...that is just a small part of it
    The race can show case Ireland to the world and raise the profile of cycling in Ireland...the best way to do this if everyone is behind the race and involved....organizing events for 1. people who may not know/like cycling; the Giro entourage and for the world media to see...people by the roadside and displays in fields and towns with bunting and pink everywhere

Northern Ireland are doing a good job.....south of the border don't seem to care
    More needs to be done to show people why the sport is great and what a fun prestigious event the Giro is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

The Giro is coming to Northern Ireland, it's basically just passing through the Republic. They get three Stage starts and two finishes whereas the South has one hour of TV coverage and a finish. To look at in a super cynical way, It's basically just a fairly direct route from Belfast to the airport that doesn't even really try to showcase much of the east coast scenery. I'd like to see a bigger deal of it made but it's basically a Northern Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

MPFG wrote: »
    But it is not just about selling beds at the race...that is just a small part of it
    The race can show case Ireland to the world and raise the profile of cycling in Ireland...the best way to do this if everyone is behind the race and involved....organizing events for 1. people who may not know/like cycling; the Giro entourage and for the world media to see...people by the roadside and displays in fields and towns with bunting and pink everywhere

Northern Ireland are doing a good job.....south of the border don't seem to care
    More needs to be done to show people why the sport is great and what a fun prestigious event the Giro is

having dealt with the Irish Tourism board in relation to races in Ireland bed nights is the "huge" part of it and the spend from those attending. they specifically want to target france, germany, uk and usa.

Mornaa & Happytramp

I guess you know best and Sean Kelly must be wrong then calling for more to be done in the Republic ...He obviously hasn't taken on board that is just a race passing through and there is very little possibility of beds, which is what really counts

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Doc07 wrote: »
    Gingerman might be best bet.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would love to see people stay tuned into the Giro when it leaves Ireland and returns to Italy. Some great stages. People tend to lose interest when it goes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement