Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

billyhead wrote: »
    What sort of field will take part in this. Will all the big guns such as Cavendish, Quintana, Wiggo, Nibali, Cancellara, Greipel be involved. I know Froome wont take part anyway and obviously our top riders like Martin and Roche will be their
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    Biggest names last year were Wiggins, Nibali, Cavendish, Evans, Uran, Hesjedahl, Gesink and Sammy Sanchez. Be another while yet before they officially announce who will enter which race this year.

Quintana, Evans, Horner, Greipel, Rodriguez and Basso are certain, Nibali a possibility. I'd say Cav is very likely, Wiggo and Cancellara unlikely.

No Sagan, Elia Viviani is Cannondale's sprinter instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gerryhev

Wiggins plan for California, Nibali for the Tour, cav maybe saving himself for Tour, billed as battle between Porte, Evans, Quintana, Uran, Scarponi, Roche.
    Still a great lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Martin is riding too right? Surely he will mix it up with Quintana, Roche etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Martin is riding too right? Surely he will mix it up with Quintana, Roche etc.

He'll be going for stages rather than GC, his time trialing isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

gerryhev wrote: »
    Wiggins plan for California, Nibali for the Tour, cav maybe saving himself for Tour, billed as battle between Porte, Evans, Quintana, Uran, Scarponi, Roche.
    Still a great lineup.
    not sure uran will be there. he was on the podium last year but has left sky now for QST. would hve thought QST would want uran as their GC rider in the tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I cycled part of the run in the other day, why don't they take a spin up Howth from the Village side and descend into Sutton given they go through the crossroads at Sutton Cross anyways, Howth is pretty Spectacular when the weather is behaving, and would be a great way to showcase Dublin.

Lads were hard at work fixing the roads.....shame the fecking Giro isn't meandering through the Naul, roads could defo use a fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

are we doing the stage the week before or what ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

figs666 wrote: »
    are we doing the stage the week before or what ???????

Exactly my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

caught this ad by chance while looking at the Farming forecast for the coming week on player.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZk7tEjpFOQ

nice ad I think - can't wait for this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Has there been any announcement about the Friday TT yet with regards to a start time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

andy69 wrote: »
    nice ad I think - can't wait for this :)

Yeah, looks really good. Also, not to be pedantic but, shouldn't it read 'cycling's elite 'are' coming rather than 'is' coming??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Plastik wrote: »
    Has there been any announcement about the Friday TT yet with regards to a start time?

FrIDAy MAy 9
    10:00 . . . . . Giro Fan Park opens
    10:00-12:00 . Team Time Trial practice
    16:30 . . . . . Publicity Caravan parade starts
    17:30 . . . . . Stage 1 Start Titanic Slipways
    20:00 . . . . Giro Fan Park closes

Got from here:

http://www.nitb.com/BusinessSupport/2012-2014Events/GirodItalia2014.aspx

Giro Big Start 2014 Fan Parks opportunities - at bottom of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gerryhev

Belfast will be very busy that weekend with a lot of road closures, website for accommodation near route is www.girorooms.co.uk, a lot of places have doubled prices or even tripled and lots of places that are far from route looking to fill up quickly too. Bit too far to drive up & down to Dublin or beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Inquitus wrote: »
    I cycled part of the run in the other day, why don't they take a spin up Howth from the Village side and descend into Sutton given they go through the crossroads at Sutton Cross anyways, Howth is pretty Spectacular when the weather is behaving, and would be a great way to showcase Dublin.

Lads were hard at work fixing the roads.....shame the fecking Giro isn't meandering through the Naul, roads could defo use a fix!

they use to send the nissan classic up on a few laps of the hill. would look good on tv taking the right hand turn at the golf shop in howth with the marina and harbour in the back and then all be great aerial shots coming down the other side with dublin bay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Room booked for Belfast anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

would be great to see the locals in belfast all wearing pink for the giro. but some would also disapprove ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Where will be the best vantage points in commuting distance to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Where will be the best vantage points in commuting distance to Dublin?

Skerries might be decent, as far as I can see they go through the town, outside chance it might even be an intermediary sprint.

Also erm, lots of good boozers. You'd have to celebrate the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Skerries might be decent, as far as I can see they go through the town, outside chance it might even be an intermediary sprint.

Also erm, lots of good boozers. You'd have to celebrate the Giro.
    Skerries might be a good shout alright. Such a shame they don't go up Howth head.

The intermediate sprint is in Balbriggan, not really too interested in that really, they're usually uneventful IMO.

It's marked "TV" below (apologies for the oversized image)
    giro-Armagh-to-Dublin-road-stage.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/lack-of-tourism-promotion-around-giro-a-scandal-kelly-30063453.html

Gotta agree with Kelly on this one - I've talked to a few friends and random taxi drivers etc, and they all know the Giro is coming to Belfast, but nobody seems to know about the Dublin finish.

Even for the sake of preparing people about the traffic disruption, I'd expect a bit more fuss about the whole thing down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

buffalo wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/lack-of-tourism-promotion-around-giro-a-scandal-kelly-30063453.html

Gotta agree with Kelly on this one - I've talked to a few friends and random taxi drivers etc, and they all know the Giro is coming to Belfast, but nobody seems to know about the Dublin finish.

Even for the sake of preparing people about the traffic disruption, I'd expect a bit more fuss about the whole thing down here.

I'm also curious as to why they're not doing a loop of Howth like the TdF did back in 98, seems a shame really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jocry wrote: »
    I'm also curious as to why they're not doing a loop of Howth like the TdF did back in 98, seems a shame really.

Did the TDF do a lap of Howth? I don't recall that.

The Nissan did in 1988 and it destroyed my vision of Howth as being a serious hill :(

They went up in a group in the big ring (Village side)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

The Giro Twitter feed put up something about the preparation getting into full swing in Dublin... basically someone was going around putting pink seat covers on bikes that were locked around the city!

I was out on part of the route around Portmarnock & Baldoyle yesterday and the road is bad in places, you'd think Fingal & DCC would be doing something to improve the route. You'd think too that the organisers would have the route sign posted to let people know about it. Very poor given the scale of the Giro.

Whats the route like in other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Diggabot wrote: »
    The Giro Twitter feed put up something about the preparation getting into full swing in Dublin... basically someone was going around putting pink seat covers on bikes that were locked around the city!

Ah, so that's what they are. I saw them around and was wondering what was with the pink seat covers (something to do with breast cancer maybe!?!). Never occurred to me to connect it to the Giro.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

I don't remember the Tour going anywhere near Howth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

In marked contrast, the publicity in the North is quite impressive. It's on TV all the time, and all over social media. There is quite a buzz and people seem to be buying to it in a big way. Every week I get a couple of emails from Belfast City Council about various associated events which have been ongoing since the start of the year.

el tel wrote: »
    In marked contrast, the publicity in the North is quite impressive. It's on TV all the time, and all over social media. There is quite a buzz and people seem to be buying to it in a big way. Every week I get a couple of emails from Belfast City Council about various associated events which have been ongoing since the start of the year.

Absolutely, it's part of this new brand NI thing going on. Anything that's going on in the North that's positive gets advertised big time. I guess in the south there isn't that second motivation for it

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

I do apologize, it clearly shows my age, you're probably right as it would make more sense - its a very distant memory and I would have thought I would have remembered it more clearly if it was in 98 :( in '88 I was only just gone 4 :D

Apparently:
    "The final stage was won by Alan Peiper. Paul Kimmage had been up the front as the peloton went over the hill of Howth several times with Peiper and finished the stage in fifth place at six seconds from Peiper. "

RobFowl
    I thought it went up over from the Sutton side as my recollection of it was standing down where the Credit Union currently is with the folks and the riders coming down into the village from the summit no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I do apologize, it clearly shows my age, you're probably right as it would make more sense - its a very distant memory and I would have thought I would have remembered it more clearly if it was in 98 :( in '88 I was only just gone 4 :D

Apparently:
    "The final stage was won by Alan Peiper. Paul Kimmage had been up the front as the peloton went over the hill of Howth several times with Peiper and finished the stage in fifth place at six seconds from Peiper. "

RobFowl
    I thought it went up over from the Sutton side as my recollection of it was standing down where the Credit Union currently is with the folks and the riders coming down into the village from the summit no?

Haha that was def the final stage of the Nissan in 88, it was the millennium celebration stage (Dublins great in 88).
    Both Kimmage and Peiper were long retired by 98, and it was the Howth village side, watched (near the summit) them go up it a few times shouting for Paul Kimmage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement