Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭eddieoregan

I just did a rescan on my Panasonic TV and the SSU channel on both Muxes seem to have been removed. Also channel 12 which is hidden is now saying test transmission it was saying no program information available.

Hi glimmerman123
    I Have a Panasonic TV; if you input the channel number 249 & 250 from the remote, SSU Data channels will be displayed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I still cant understand why saorview.ie is telling me that i should now be pointing to kippure which is 79km instead of cairn hill which is 58km. all the aerials in the estate point to cairn hill.

The transmitting aerial at Kippure is around 1500 ft. higher above sea level than Cairn Hill's aerial.

The coverage checker isn't infallible: only way you can be sure what's best at your particular location is to check it out 'on the ground', so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ahh ok. only way to check is to put a new aerial up as its a different group. I have group b aerial for cairn hill up at the moment. thanks for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

so checking it out on the ground

could this mean the following

up till yesterday spur hill but following rescan i could be collins barracks? so one is H the other V.

so where does one start in finding the optimum signal now?

Whichever was the best transmitter before Monday, will still be the best one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Totally agree. Compared it with same match on UTV HD and difference was incredible.

Even if they don't have any HD playout kit ready yet, TV3 should move to upscaled SD in 1080i. Terrible experience watching football on TV3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niamh_F2

Before the update I had a lot of UK channels e.g ITV'S, Channel 4 and Channel 5, I just done a re-scan and the only channels I'm only getting is the Irish TV and Radio stations, has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Niamh_F2 wrote: »
    Before the update I had a lot of UK channels e.g ITV'S, Channel 4 and Channel 5, I just done a re-scan and the only channels I'm only getting is the Irish TV and Radio stations, has this happened anyone else?

I lost some of the UK channels the other day on a re scan. The reason was that the conditions/propagation was not great that night.
    Re scanned last night, everything fine and channels found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Even if they don't have any HD playout kit ready yet, TV3 should move to upscaled SD in 1080i. Terrible experience watching football on TV3 now.

The bitrate is the problem + what is happening to the video before transmission? (their delivered video might be poor to begin with?)

upscaled SD in 1080i with the current TV3 bitrate is not going to be good, and is not going to reduce motion-blur on sports.

Your STB/TV "upscales" anyway if it is set to display 1080i, but it cannot improve video that is poor to begin with

RTE upscaled SD looks better because of the greater bitrate available in the HD transmission, if you had SD channels with a similar high bitrate (from a high quality source) and your receiver doing the upscaling to 1080i - it would be a similar quality picture. (look at German SD channels on satelite if you can, they have better quality pictures than we are used to from SD )
    BBC SD channels have much better pictures than TV3 (and other Saorview SD channels), with better horizontal resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niamh_F2

I'll leave it for a while and re-scan then, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Hi glimmerman123
    I Have a Panasonic TV; if you input the channel number 249 & 250 from the remote, SSU Data channels will be displayed
    Thanks for the info eddie i didn't know that.

Why wasn't mux 2 launched at the same time as mux 1, with 1080i upscaled SD versions of the main 4? (which plan on going HD in the next few years anyway)

Seems this extra bit of re-scanning / confusion for people could have been avoided, picture quality would have been far better on RTE 1, TV3 and TG4 all along.

I had thought it was only because the playout equipment wasn't ready yet, but none extra should be needed to upscale SD to 1080i and pump up the bitrate to what it's going to be anyway in a few years when the main 4 are all gone HD. And then when the HD playout / studios are ready, announce the launch of RTE 1 HD and keep it on the same mux / channel as always.

I'm sure there's a good reason, I just haven't read enough about this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FonE wrote: »
    I'm in north of County Cork and before yesterday both tvs were tuned to 21 Mullaghanish. Mount Leinster is a long way away so I don't know how it's tuning to that transmitter.
    What about Maghera? (Saorview Coverage Checker advises us to that station) ... I'm from North County Cork too and that's where we are getting it from. Mullaghanish as the crow flies is actually not that far away but we are at the wrong side of a mountain to get a decent signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Maghera is a very powerful transmitter probably with a range of about 80k. There is quite a few transmitters around country that has only local range, no more than 10k in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Maghera is a very powerful transmitter probably with a range of about 80k. There is quite a few transmitters around country that has only local range, no more than 10k in a lot of cases.
    Must be powerful if we are getting 90%+ signal in Cork... 100km according to the Saorview website.

Niamh_F2 wrote: »
    Before the update I had a lot of UK channels e.g ITV'S, Channel 4 and Channel 5, I just done a re-scan and the only channels I'm only getting is the Irish TV and Radio stations . . .

To be blunt, it's because your Freeview UK signal was no good to begin with. If you're receiving Freeview from the Arfon transmitter in north Wales, you will now possibly have added interference from the Cairn Hill Saorview transmitter in Longford, now operating on the same channels as 2 out of 3 of Arfon's Freeview multiplexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTE jr may have end for the day but the video is still transmitting
    it is using more than RTE1+1 at the moment

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE jr may have end for the day but the video is still transmitting
    it is using more than RTE1+1 at the moment

I think it's got its own channel now? Not sharing with 1+1 any more

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

The Cush wrote: »

Hi Cush, none of these articles or announcements suggest what the call out
    charge should be for an installer to call out to retune the tv's ,combi boxes and saorview boxes that people cant retune themselves, at least 70% of the
    people ive installed wouldn't know how to retune a combi box or a tv for that matter.
    Its not as simple as Saorview suggest, it would have been helpful if they had
    suggested a fair call out charge for a rescan and channel sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

seanp_25 wrote: »
    I think it's got its own channel now? Not sharing with 1+1 any more

Yes, we saw that on day 1 when Rte1 +1 was transmitting an on-air caption as Rtéjr was transmitting it normal programming but reverted to the MHEG-5 generated caption later that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Rescanned T V tonight. RTE 1 and other channels ok as before - Can't see any real difference so far?? except that when I select button no 1, where RTE1 is programmed, the station identifier that appears momentarily on the screen now is (DVB-T) and the message Rescan required ?
    I have followed the Saorview instructions , automatic scan etc - wonder what's happening ?? Any ideas ??
    TV is a Phillips and set top box is a Ferguson Ariva Combo

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes, we saw that on day 1 when Rte1 +1 was transmitting an on-air caption as Rtéjr was transmitting it normal programming but reverted to the MHEG-5 genertaed caption later that day.
    If you take a look at the snapshot on TSReader thread and you will see RTE jr went off air about 18:45, no video then came back onair at 18:55. while during that time, RTE1+1 shot up to about 25% of Mux bandwidth, 6mpbs, then drop down to less then RTE jr.

Rescanned T V tonight. RTE 1 and other channels ok as before - Can't see any real difference so far?? except that when I select button no 1, where RTE1 is programmed, the station identifier that appears momentarily on the screen now is (DVB-T) and the message Rescan required ?
    I have followed the Saorview instructions , automatic scan etc - wonder what's happening ?? Any ideas ??
    The best is to delete all RTE channels and then manual scan Mux 2 first then manual scan Mux 1 last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

this is one absolute mess, couldn't watch the 9pm news as no reception on rte 1! do rte rl /saorview want us to go back into the hands of upc or sky or even eircom...................as we can't even get decent reception on DTT !

scruffy66 wrote: »
    Its not as simple as Saorview suggest, it would have been helpful if they had suggested a fair call out charge for a rescan and channel sort.

Saorview has no say into what the trade charges just as they didn't during leadup to ASO, at that time they simply quoted the price range the trade was charging. It's up to the customer to shop around.

kooga wrote: »
    this is one absolute mess, couldn't watch the 9pm news as no reception on rte 1! do rte rl /saorview want us to go back into the hands of upc or sky or even eircom...................as we can't even get decent reception on DTT !

Do you expect someone from RTE to come out & retune your receiver, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

kooga wrote: »

RTE1 should be available as channel number 11 on yor box, even if you cannot get mux 2, but can still get Mux1 as before, so try channel 11. The ch11 RTE1 will go away in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Many receivers, as is, will retune the MUX2 automatically if left on standby overnight - many people kill the power to their receivers overnight. Perhaps viewers should have been advised to leave their TVs/STBs on standby overnight and see if they retune by themselves before doing anything (if unsure about retuning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Souriau wrote: »
    The best is to delete all RTE channels and then manual scan Mux 2 first then manual scan Mux 1 last.

Sorry Souriau, a bit of a luddite here when its comes to tecchie stuff - whats MUX2 &Mux 1 - I don't see any reference to it on the Installation menu on Saorview set up. By the way, I think our signal comes from the Cairn Hill transmitter in Longford if that's of any significance ?
    Thanks again and apologies for the ignorance - to listen to RTE thought all I had to do was just to click on the automatic rescan button in the Installation menu ?? Seems not so simple, Also I appear to have lost BBC 1 from where I had it set up ???

• Advertisement

TV is a Phillips and set top box is a Ferguson Ariva Combo

Is the Philips TV Saorview approved?

The first thing to look at in a case like this is the aerial and where its pointing at.

What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor and is it pointing at the transmitter recommended by Saorview for your location?

My problem with Mux2 yesterday was it was coming in much stronger than Mux1 causing a Waker STB to fail to store the channels. Others here have reported similar with the Mux 2 signal also.

Advertisement