Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

adox wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys. Checked and the a Freeview channels were still there. Rescanned and MUX 2 coming in as well as the Freeview.

If you're using a PVR (recorder) you will have to reset all the recording schedules on Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Just retuned there now and I've lost RTE One, everything else is fine. Plus NewsNow is now no. 6 instead of 5, with 3e now at 5.

Edit: it was on channel 11 as "Rescan required".

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CYCLOPS1

On my non approved box, rte jnr and rte+1 were fine( and still are on mux 1),however on mux2 I have to rescan to change from one to the other,in others words if I scan in the evening I get rte+1,if I scan during the day rte jnr,but box not holding other channel in its own position so to speak.i know they share the same 'stream' as it were but this was not a problem before yesterday.amy constructive ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Plus NewsNow is now no. 6 instead of 5, with 3e now at 5.

That swap happened back in July 2012 - http://www.saorview.ie/news/how-to-re-scan-saorview-approved-box-or-tv/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686543

CYCLOPS1 wrote: »
    amy constructive ideas?

No I'm afraid.

I have a similar non-approved receiver and this was a problem with Mux1, I could only store one of the channels at any one time.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    No I'm afraid.

I have a similar non-approved receiver and this was a problem with Mux1, I could only store one of the channels at any one time.

Thanks for reply,I just wonder what is different about the mux2,it was ok on mux1(still is so far)

CYCLOPS1 wrote: »
    it was ok on mux1(still is so far)

Unfortunately those Mux 1 channels will be gone in about 2-3 weeks.

The Cush wrote: »
    Unfortunately those Mux 1 channels will be gone in about 2-3 weeks.

Yes I know,but does anybody know why ok on 1 ,but not on other mux.why are they different.it also works ok for similar set up on Ceebees/bbc set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

I can receive mux 1 but there seems to be no sign of mux 2 even manually tuning to channel 33.

I have a Samsung TV from Belgium which is technically, I presume, not Saorview approved. Is there any technical reason why I would be able to receive mux 1 and not mux 2 or can we safely attribute it to a weak signal?

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Much weaker signal from the new Mux in Belfast.

Can get it fine with my outdoor aerial on one TV, but indoor loft aerial picks up the new channels very badly whereas all channels on the other mux perfect with that one. Was a bit surprised and disappointed about that.

• Advertisement

Dragged the TV over to the window there and got Mux 2 but no Mux 1!

So, yeah, deffo a signal issue. Must invest in an outdoor aerial.

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

jamesnp wrote: »
    Dragged the TV over to the window there and got Mux 2 but no Mux 1!
    So, yeah, deffo a signal issue. Must invest in an outdoor aerial.

Dun Laoghaire is in a bit of a bowl facing out to sea compared to 3Rock to the South West. You could try a manual scan on Ch33 for Mux 2. Mux 1 is on 30 and any aerial needs to be horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think the issue here guys is that the channels you are looking for may be hidden as someone else already posted that info yesterday.

It came up as hidden on when I switched on my Saorview box this morning with ch 33 from 3 Rock tuned into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

I think the issue here guys is that the channels you are looking for may be hidden as someone else already posted that info yesterday.

No they didn't. RTE1 & RTE jr/RTE1+1 are not hidden. Why would they be?

The 2 "guys" here have signal issues.

Yep, Ronnie's spot on. Nothing is hidden.

I will say though my channels' order is totally messed up, most of the TV channels coming after the radio ones, and the "this serivce is closed" "rescan required" channels still in the 1,2,3,4 etc. spots.

I'm presuming this is due to my TV being Belgian — no big deal, Samsung TVs allow you to reoder and delete channels from the line up.

-jp

... indoor loft aerial picks up the new channels very badly whereas all channels on the other mux perfect with that one.

it does not follow that there is:
    Much weaker signal from the new Mux in Belfast.

All you know is that your loft aerial, in its particular spot, is receiving a weaker signal on the 2nd mux. Might only be slightly weaker than mux. 1: enough to push it over the "digital cliff".

You can't expand that to include the whole of Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I have 2 tvs, one connected to a rooftop aerial, another working off an indoor aerial (the long white bar type). I had no channels at all on the one with the indoor aerial yesterday until I did the re-scan. Now I'm getting RTE1 on Channel 23 and all other channels on Channel 55. Previously, I got all on Channel 21, Mullaghanish which is where my rooftop aerial is also directed to.

So question:

Why is RTE1 coming from a different source to the others? RTE1 is skipping and jumping while the other channels are fine but when I tried to manually tune it to 21 I got nothing and it also won't tune RTE1 on Channel 55. Do I need to move my indoor aerial around to get it to pick up RTE1 on 55?

Also, the channels 11, 17 and 18 are still saying Rescan required and they're not on the EPG - will this change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

23 is mount leinster where are you based??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

OK - what I mean to say was, "I'm getting a much weaker signal in Belfast on the new Mux"!
    (obviously can't speak for anyone else). :-) :-)

Both aerials (outdoor and indoor) getting perfect reception on all channels from old Mux.
    Both aerials getting significantly reduced reception on all channels from new Mux.

(Loft aerial getting unwatchable channels from new mux - everything prefect from old mux)

Both aerials pointing same direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

By the sounds of things they likely added a second transponder, which appears in your case to not be as strong. and is appearing on channel 55 the indoor aerial may require some movement, but I haven't used saorview in several months, are you based in Dublin? As where your based could change if its all on one transponder or not. If Dublin a specific part may be useful.

• Advertisement

FonE wrote: »
    I have 2 tvs, one connected to a rooftop aerial, another working off an indoor aerial (the long white bar type). I had no channels at all on the one with the indoor aerial yesterday until I did the re-scan. Now I'm getting RTE1 on Channel 23 and all other channels on Channel 55. Previously, I got all on Channel 21, Mullaghanish which is where my rooftop aerial is also directed to.

The rescan is to pick up the 2nd multiplex (mux. 2) which "officially" went on air yesterday.

You must be in an area that can get Mullaghanish, Mt. Leinster & Dungarvan transmitters?

RTE1 on ch. 23 (Mt. Leinster mux. 1) will be the standard def. version that's due to go off shortly. Channel 55 should also have this version of RTE1.

Mullaghanish mux. 2 with the new RTE1 HD is on ch. 24, Mt. Leinster has this on ch. 26 & Dungarvan on ch. 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I haven't done a rescan yet........but any any changes to the Spur Hill set up in Cork? just to be prepared.

kooga wrote: »
    any changes to the Spur Hill set up in Cork? just to be prepared.

Only the same changes as at every other transmitter site in the network. Spur Hill has mux. 2 on UHF ch. 49.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Speaking of Spur Hill, has it been glitchy for anyone else in the last few days, or it just my hardware/aerial ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

parasite wrote: »
    Speaking of Spur Hill, has it been glitchy for anyone else in the last few days, or it just my hardware/aerial ?

It's been fine for me on both muxes. I only use an indoor aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

OK - what I mean to say was, "I'm getting a much weaker signal in Belfast on the new Mux"!
    (obviously can't speak for anyone else). :-) :-)

Both aerials (outdoor and indoor) getting perfect reception on all channels from old Mux.
    Both aerials getting significantly reduced reception on all channels from new Mux.

(Loft aerial getting unwatchable channels from new mux - everything prefect from old mux)

Both aerials pointing same direction.

I notice this as well from Cairn Hill. Distance is 58km according to saorview.ie from house. the new mux has a signal quality of 91% compared to 80% on the old mux for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's been fine for me on both muxes. I only use an indoor aerial.

i haven't been following this mux 1 and 2 so does this mean for spurhill i have to do two scans as my saorview channels were or are on ch 45 ? plus now a scan for mux 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Hi,

My TV uses the Collins Barracks (Cork) transmitter with a wideband outdoor aeriel pointing towards Collins Barracks and vertically polarized. MUX 1 on UHF Ch 50 has always worked fine and still does. However MUX 2 on UHF Ch 37 does not add any channels at all. I'm using a Samsung TV with built in MPEG 4 tuner. Is anyone able to get MUX 2 from Collins Barracks in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

kooga wrote: »
    i haven't been following this mux 1 and 2 so does this mean for spurhill i have to do two scans as my saorview channels were or are on ch 45 ? plus now a scan for mux 2?

Yes, Scan Ch 45 for MUX 1 and Ch 49 for MUX 2 on Spur Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You only need to scan channel 49. This will get you the new versions of RTE1 & RTE jr. You can delete the old ones which should be showing in the EPG without names & with 'rescan required' in the programme info.

Advertisement