Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

zg3409 wrote: »
    and then there are some people who have trouble picking up Mux 2 but get Mux 1 OK, which is probably an aerial fault with a weak signal.

or in my case a too strong Mux2 signal not allowing the the box to store the channels.

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    The Triax may be one of those and therefore, you will need a new decoder to get the new DVB-T2 mux.

The only possibility for DVB-T2 in this country is if a pay-DTT service is ever launched which will require a new decoder in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

The Cush wrote: »
    or in my case a too strong Mux2 signal not allowing the the box to store the channels.

the whole thing is confusing.

some posts mention the need to do software updates.

as i said earlier if i bring my saorview tv around to the other tv points in the house and do a scan the signal booms in and holds across all the rte channels.

for example last night after connecting up the saorview tv downstairs and doing a scan and getting and holding the picture i reconnected the combo box and for the rest of the evening rte 1 and rte + 1 no issues. Get up this morning and turn on the Tv and now signal on rte 1 or rte jnr!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

For digital signals there is a minimum level and a maximum level recommended. This can very from model to model and even sometimes box to box. Normally installers measure the level to try get it towards the higher end without overloading the receiver. If the signal is towards the higher end without overloading then all, if not most, boxes should work OK. Some are more sensitivive than others, or some boxes are "deaf" but with a decent signal they all should work.

kooga wrote: »
    the whole thing is confusing.

Maybe you've answered this already and maybe I missed it, what type of aerial are you using - indoor/outdoor?
    How is the aerial feed split to all TV points, amp or splitter?
    What transmitter does the Saorview coverage checker recommend for your location?

As zg says above tuners can differ with regards to how they handle weak or strong signals. Are there signal strength/quality meters on those receivers, although not 100% accurate they will give an indication of how each receiver sees the signal at each TV point.

• Advertisement

it is an outdoor type aerial in the attic

distribution by splitter. (just had a call from RTE technician i may need a distribution amp) and he repeated how signal varies from box to box.

spur hill all the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

zg3409 wrote: »
    If, you cannot pick up Mux 2, then you will not find RTE1 without the rescan message. Assuming the box has not pickedup up RTE1 on Mux 2 and put it somewhere weird, this suggests you may not be getting Mux 2 good enough for the box to pick it up on an auto scan. Sometimes a manual scan on the correct frequency of Mux 2 for the local transmitter, will try harder and pick up a weaker signal, sometimes not.

For a manual scan have a look here:
    http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

and put in the location and click search. On the right side it says channels (e.g. 54, 58*)
    If on a manual scan you can find a signal on the first number (54/Mux1) and nothing on 2nd Number (58*/Mux2) then it means your aerial is picking up Mux 1 OK, and not Mux 2.

You can also ring the Saorview helpline and they can try talk you through the procedure:
    1890-222-012 . They will ask for your address, the make of box and try talk you through the procedure.

If it is the case Mux 2 is so weak a manal scan cannot pick it up then you have a week or two to improve the signal before RTE1 on 11 will go away. If your aerial is outside and more than 10 years old I would recommend paying an installer up to 160 Euro to fix the problem, assuming it is an aerial problem.

Kippure. What was happening before the rescan thing was announced was that some channels were spluttery and freezing, which may be down the connection at the back of the box. I think it's just saying 546000, trying to scan and not really find anything. Tried an autoscan again, it found nothing, at all. Think it's all a bit too delicate. When it did work briefly yesterday, albeit with some missing channels, I think RTE+1 came in, but not RTE 1 standard, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Kippure. I think it's just saying 546000, trying to scan and not really find anything. Tried an autoscan again, it found nothing, at all.

A frequency of 546000 is for Mux 1 at Three Rock indicating that it is not suitable for your location.

Mux 1 for Kippure is 738000 ch 54.
    Mux 2 for Kippure is 770000 ch 58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Mux 1 for Kippure is 778000.
    Mux 2 for Kippure is 770000

Wrong. Kippure mux 1 is 738000 KHz (ch. 54), mux 2 is 770000 KHz (ch.58).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should something happen when I try those in frequency search? Nothing does. I've tried in another part of the house, without success. I'm 31 in the Saorview helpline queue.

• Advertisement

Should something happen when I try those in frequency search? Nothing does. I've tried in another part of the house, without success. I'm 31 in the Saorview helpline queue.

i rang them yesterday waited 50 mins in the q and when my call was answered i was put through to a technician.............outcome i could have multiple faults, box issues etc.

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

had a good chat with a 2rn technician also. Conclusion was the aerial is in a blackspot for Cairn Hill due to not enough height due to the gable end and high BER rate along with a hill 3 miles away.basically he said try kippure by turning the aerial 100degrees and if not saorsat. also said the amp is only increasing the noise ratio and is not worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Tried a manual tune today and got all the channels on ch. 33 I think it was.

However, none get a picture, I got about 2 seconds on RTE One at one stage but then it just froze.

had a good chat with a 2rn technician also. Conclusion was the aerial is in a blackspot for Cairn Hill due to not enough height due to the gable end and high BER rate along with a hill 3 miles away.basically he said try kippure by turning the aerial 100degrees and if not saorsat. also said the amp is only increasing the noise ratio and is not worth anything.

jhc will it ever stop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

'It' will stop when people get someone who knows what they are doing to install their aerial systems.

Got through on the phone. She put me through to the technician section, but it was just an automated message saying how busy they are (tbf, she mentioned this and gave me a 1850 number which is 2rn). I've left a message, but I'm not expecting a call back.

Got through on the phone. She put me through to the technician section, but it was just an automated message saying how busy they are (tbf, she mentioned this and gave me a 1850 number which is 2rn). I've left a message, but I'm not expecting a call back.

you will get one as I got a call back within the hour.

you will get one as I got a call back within the hour.

agree i got two calls back spoke to a mike yesterday and des today.

Got through on the phone. She put me through to the technician section

:( What's wrong with the advice you're getting here? The 'technician' is going to tell you the same thing.

I haven't criticised the advice here..?

Re your previous post, the aerial is likely older than Saorview itself, I don't know.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    :( What's wrong with the advice you're getting here? The 'technician' is going to tell you the same thing.

nothing Peter. :) just need someone to talk to

Peter Rhea wrote: »

its good to talk as the old advert used to say!!:D

I haven't criticised the advice here..?

Suppose not . . . For my own part, I should add that I'm certainly not putting myself on anywhere near the same level as a 2rn tech. It's just that all the problems here are very obviously caused by poor receiving aerial setups or, maybe the odd receiver getting tuned to the wrong transmitter. Straightforward stuff.

You're not wrong.
    Sometimes have to make a call when RTFM doesn't work. ;)

Latest version of 2RN's A Guide to re-scanning/re-tuning SAORVIEW Approved Equipment

This from the document
    PLEASE NOTE

In the future, SAORVIEW will add more channels to the current line-up.
    To receive these new channels, a re-tune will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I posted in the amiko thread but think this post belongs here.

Aerial in the attic, amiko box doesn't receive any saorview channels on freq 746mhz via a manual scan mux 2 maghera.
    Auto scan picks up all saorview channels but the epg says rescan required in rte1, rte+1 & rtejr. This tells me its mux1.

Connected my tv to same aerial and this scans all channels but this time rte1, rtejr are a bit jumpy. The epg is up to date on yhese two channels so I must be on mux2. Am I correct assuming the other saorview channels I'm receiving are on mux1 because these channels are coming in excellent?

I think my amiko box can't receive channels on mux2 just on mux1!

Hmm rte1 and rtejr are practically gone now with my tv directly connected to the aerial. Think rte1+1 will be the same when it comes on at 7.This must be an aerial issue so.

Do I need a new aerial or will some sort of amplifier help me out? Appreciate any recommendations.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Do I need a new aerial or will some sort of amplifier help me out? Appreciate any recommendations.

Moving the aerial outside would be my first recommendation. Locating the aerial in the attic reduces the signal strength received.

What type of aerial are you using (can you post a pic)?
    Is Maghera the transmitter recommended by the Saorview coverage checker?

The Cush wrote: »
    Moving the aerial outside would be my first recommendation. Locating the aerial in the attic reduces the signal strength received.

What type of aerial are you using (can you post a pic)?
    Is Maghera the transmitter recommended by the Saorview coverage checker?

Yes maghera is recommended. I bought the aerial in b and q a few months back. This is what it looks like http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/b-q-ross-tv-aerial-kit-48-element-14-99-1645494

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

FWIW that's a very similar antenna to the one I'm using mounted in the attic and I have it split to feed two TV's and signal is consistently strong with no retune issues. HTH.

Advertisement