Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Just went into settings and Retune.

What happens when you hit 'retune'? Is there a progress bar displayed onscreen? Maybe also shows the frequencies as the box scans through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just a warning for those with combo /combined Satellite and terrestrial boxes like the ariva. You should only do a terrestrial scan and NOT a satellite scan. If you do a satellites can or a factory reset, it may mess up all your UK channels received via Satellite. The terrestrial (Irish) Saorview channels are the only thing that has recently changed.

If you have done a factory reset, and have lost all UK Satellite channels, you may need to do a Satellite scan and then re-order or move all the UK channels into the order you desire, which may take an hour or more.

I think it is worrying 2RN are advocating a factory reset when many of the receivers are combo models.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What happens when you hit 'retune'? Is there a progress bar displayed onscreen? Maybe also shows the frequencies as the box scans through them?

yeah, scans through various frequencies and channel numbers for 5-10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Do you expect someone from RTE to come out & retune your receiver, or what?

peter no i don't but i would regard myself as being fairly competent in doing this procedure, i am only waiting for a call from my parents on friday when they get back from hols to say there is something wrong with their TV!

following advice from STB i wiped all the channels from both boxes did a rescan after 7pm channels came in and i put in order, signal level and quality good then come 9pm no rte and rte 1.

Peter, the other channels that come in following a rescan should you delete them or move them else where?

On the triax box i have arranged 1-8 as DTT channels then from ch9 on are the uk channels. However when watching any of the irish channels a caption pops up saying new channels found and they place themselves after 8 i have moved them but they keep reappearing at this location any ideas tks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The mother has a Finlux SAO634 and isn't having much luck. No sign of RTE 1 on the rescan and others say still say rescan required. Tried a few scans, plus first time installation, but no joy.

• Advertisement

The mother has a Finlux SAO634 and isn't having much luck. No sign of RTE 1 on the rescan and others say still say rescan required. Tried a few scans, plus first time installation, but no joy.

Have you checked the high numbers, not just the first channel? Also have a look at the very end, possibly into the 400s or higher, as it may have put them at the very, very end. I think that is a combo box so best not to do factory reset nor a Satellite scan until you are sure that there is no other option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2-6 are fine. 11, 16, 17, say rescan required, then we're into the 200s - radio, which seem fine. Don't see anything around the 400 mark.

yeah, scans through various frequencies and channel numbers for 5-10 minutes.

And you end up with nothing at no. 1 in the channel list? What part of the country are you in? Do you have an outdoor aerial?
    kooga wrote: »
    the other channels that come in following a rescan should you delete them or move them else where?

On the triax box i have arranged 1-8 as DTT channels then from ch9 on are the uk channels. However when watching any of the irish channels a caption pops up saying new channels found and they place themselves after 8 i have moved them but they keep reappearing at this location any ideas tks.

Just delete the channels you don't want. If you do want to hold onto them for any reason, switch 'LCN' to off in the installation menu & they should stay where you leave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

2-6 are fine. 11, 16, 17, say rescan required, then we're into the 200s - radio, which seem fine. Don't see anything around the 400 mark.

The Mux2 channels 1, 7 and 8 are missing there alright, what type of aerial is attched to the TV - indoor or outdoor?

What transmitter does the coverage checker recommend for your mother's location - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

If, you cannot pick up Mux 2, then you will not find RTE1 without the rescan message. Assuming the box has not pickedup up RTE1 on Mux 2 and put it somewhere weird, this suggests you may not be getting Mux 2 good enough for the box to pick it up on an auto scan. Sometimes a manual scan on the correct frequency of Mux 2 for the local transmitter, will try harder and pick up a weaker signal, sometimes not.

For a manual scan have a look here:
    http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

and put in the location and click search. On the right side it says channels (e.g. 54, 58*)
    If on a manual scan you can find a signal on the first number (54/Mux1) and nothing on 2nd Number (58*/Mux2) then it means your aerial is picking up Mux 1 OK, and not Mux 2.

You can also ring the Saorview helpline and they can try talk you through the procedure:
    1890-222-012 . They will ask for your address, the make of box and try talk you through the procedure.

If it is the case Mux 2 is so weak a manal scan cannot pick it up then you have a week or two to improve the signal before RTE1 on 11 will go away. If your aerial is outside and more than 10 years old I would recommend paying an installer up to 160 Euro to fix the problem, assuming it is an aerial problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Peter a quick question on this. would a high BER error rate up to the 10000-15000's indicate a problem with the cable quality rather than signal? signal is 79% quality is 58% but no channels? i cant see any other reason than this as i used basic rg6 cable on a 10 to 12 metre run and its now come back to haunt me is the only conclusion i can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

i cant see any other reason than this as i used basic rg6 cable on a 10 to 12 metre run and its now come back to haunt me is the only conclusion i can gather.

It could be down to the fact that you're using the wrong transmitter for your location initially and other other issues such as cable quality, connections, interference etc. - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87127668&postcount=115

. . . would a high BER error rate up to the 10000-15000's indicate a problem with the cable quality rather than signal? signal is 79% quality is 58% but no channels? i cant see any other reason than this as i used basic rg6 cable on a 10 to 12 metre run and its now come back to haunt me is the only conclusion i can gather.

Unless it's losing most of your signal from the aerial, poor quality cable usually just causes intermittent problems, due to picking up random electrical interference.

Where are you located trying to get Cairn Hill? I would think in some places to the south, you would get interference from Woodcock Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Unless it's losing most of your signal from the aerial, poor quality cable usually just causes intermittent problems, due to picking up random electrical interference.

Where are you located trying to get Cairn Hill? I would think in some places to the south, you would get interference from Woodcock Hill.
    tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

And you end up with nothing at no. 1 in the channel list? What part of the country are you in? Do you have an outdoor aerial?

Yeah, I end up with nothing at number 1, I'm in Letterkenny, using an indoor aerial.

Yeah, I end up with nothing at number 1, I'm in Letterkenny, using an indoor aerial.

Try a manual scan on ch33 and 57. 57 is Mux 2 for letterkenny mast on the hill south west of the town and 33 is over the hill near Derry (Hollywell Hill). During the manual scan RTE1 might appear. If not try again with the indoor aerial pointed in the right direction or on the right side of the building at least (east/south east side)

interesting with regard to rescan the 24 " bush saorview tv in the spare room no problems with the rescan signal booming in.

yet both combo boxes elsewhere in the house cannot hold a decent quality signal for rte 1 and rte jnr/ +1. Out of ideas at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

interesting with regard to rescan the 24 " bush saorview tv in the spare room no problems with the rescan signal booming in.

yet both combo boxes elsewhere in the house cannot hold a decent quality signal for rte 1 and rte jnr/ +1. Out of ideas at this stage!
    Bring the combo boxes to the spare room and see how they perform there?
    Likewise swap the bush into the other rooms and see if it has problems there?

whitebriar wrote: »
    Bring the combo boxes to the spare room and see how they perform there?
    Likewise swap the bush into the other rooms and see if it has problems there?

the plot thickens. RTe 1 signal booming into the bush tv downstairs. unreal!
    set up bush tv with aerial to triax box did a scan signal booming in. Turned off triax box and reattached to tv and again signal booming in.

bucketing rain here in cork city at the moment and no signal loss. on the two tvs with combo boxes.

am I speaking too soon , am I in the clear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Guys, I am having a torrid time trying to rescan, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a TV Star receiver if that makes any difference.

I've tried numerous ways to rescan, went the auto channel search route, manual channel search route, even went as far as performing a factory reset on the box. However, despite my best efforts and trying everything I can think of, the RTE stations are still showing ''rescan required'' on the schedule. Everything except RTE stations are fine.

Last night I thought I had solved it as the RTE stations moved down the channel list to say, #30 for example, after the channel scan and I saved this and went to bed. Unfortunately I've turned it on an hour ago and the progress I made last night has disappeared.

The RTE stations are there, but just showing ''channel 1'' instead of the RTE name and showing ''rescan required'' on all scheduling information on RTE channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement

bucketing rain here in cork city at the moment and no signal loss. on the two tvs with combo boxes.

Rain shouldn't affect your signal. If you have everything tuned to the frequencies of the transmitter your aerial is pointed at & things still aren't right, then your aerial system just isn't good enough.

You're a lifesaver mate, thanks very much.

Paully D wrote: »
    You're a lifesaver mate, thanks very much.

you are welcome let us know how you got on.

you are welcome let us know how you got on.

I turned everything off and followed those instructions to the letter. Fingers crossed, but it seems to have worked. :D Although I won't count my chickens just yet as I thought I had it sorted last night too but the changes had been undone for some reason when I switched back on today. If it's working again tomorrow, I know I'll have done it right.

RTE One is somewhat jittery now which it never was before prior to the rescan but I can live with it if it means it gets me a bit of peace and quiet in the house for finally sorting the rescan out :pac:

Thanks again :)

Paully D wrote: »
    . . . RTE One is somewhat jittery now which it never was before prior to the rescan but I can live with it if it means it gets me a bit of peace and quiet in the house for finally sorting the rescan out

Have to be a spoilsport here but, you haven't sorted anything out if the channel you want is 'jittery'.

There's a possibility you aren't tuned to the right transmitter.

the plot thickens. RTe 1 signal booming into the bush tv downstairs. unreal!
    set up bush tv with aerial to triax box did a scan signal booming in. Turned off triax box and reattached to tv and again signal booming in.

am I speaking too soon , am I in the clear ?

spoke too soon, rte 1 on the triax combo and the alma box totally wiped this morning, absolutely no signal despite a couple of manual rescans.

Will try the triax this evening upstairs where the saorview tv is working although can i connect the triax to the saorview tv to do a manual scan? or will the built in saorview receiver in the tv override the triax box?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

I am rather surprised that rain should affect terrestrial reception. There is oneother thing I want to ask...

Does anyone have a non-HD compliant STB? Read on and you may see why i ask this.

Some MPEG4 boxes are DVB-T only aren't they? If I remember rightly, when RTE went digital last year, it was DVB-T/MPEG4, and not DVB-T2/MPEG4.

Any box that can do DVB-T2 will also do DVB-T, but the first generation Saoview boxes in Ireland - weren't they DVB-T/MPEG4?

The Triax may be one of those and therefore, you will need a new decoder to get the new DVB-T2 mux.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, and sorry for the possible bad news!

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    I wonder is the Triax MPEG4 but NOT an HD compatible receiver? If that is the case you will not get HD on it.

In other words, some MPEG4 boxes are DVB-T only aren't they? If I remember rightly, when RTE went digital last year, it was DVB-T/MPEG4, and not DVB-T2/MPEG4.

Any box that can do DVB-T2 will also do DVB-T, but the first generation Saoview boxes in Ireland - weren't they DVB-T/MPEG4?

The Triax may be one of those and therefore, you will need a new decoder to get the new DVB-T2 mux.

shouldn't be the case as no issues with RTE 2 hd and the box was purchased in august 2012

• Advertisement

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    you will need a new decoder to get the new DVB-T2 mux.

The new Mux is not DVB-T2. It is ordinary DVB-T without the 2. Any box that picked up RTE2 HD, over the past few years, will also pick up RTE 1 on the new mux. The main issues people seem to be having is that on non approved boxes the channels may be mixed up and on high numbers, and then there are some people who have trouble picking up Mux 2 but get Mux 1 OK, which is probably an aerial fault with a weak signal.

Advertisement