Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

OK - what I mean to say was, "I'm getting a much weaker signal in Belfast on the new Mux"!
    (obviously can't speak for anyone else). :-) :-)

Both aerials (outdoor and indoor) getting perfect reception on all channels from old Mux.
    Both aerials getting significantly reduced reception on all channels from new Mux.

(Loft aerial getting unwatchable channels from new mux - everything prefect from old mux)

Both aerials pointing same direction.

As was already hinted at in another post, there will be differences in the propagation of the different radio frequencies in use. This will be more apparent on the margins of coverage where you're struggling anyway & the typical receiver signal quality meter will just take a nosedive when things drop below a certain level.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

I am having a slight problem with retuning in on my computer which has a facility to receive using Hauppauge tv player app. It came withe the windows 8 PC. Have an indoor aerial and up to today worked fine. rte 1 is received but picture is jumpy and freezes. No problem rescanning on a normal tv but am with the computer. Anyone out there who has some knowledge of the problem? Assistance and advice would be appreciated. By the way receiving signal from Mount Leinster. Lastly wasn't it a bit slack of RTE not to advise about the rescanning. Last night at 10. Pm turned on RTE + 1 to see the news on TV and it was unavailable. Only after checking the rte site was there a small box mentioning the saorview rescan. Why was there no mention on papers or tv about this. Older folk or persons not used to modern tv.s are bound to run into trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You only need to scan channel 49. This will get you the new versions of RTE1 & RTE jr. You can delete the old ones which should be showing in the EPG without names & with 'rescan required' in the programme info.

Not that it really matters since RTÉ ONE +1 will close in Feb, but I suppose they have met their "mark of compliance with the broadcast standard, rather than as a promise of exciting new free entertainment" :)

@The_Cush let me win this one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Elmo wrote: »
    Not that it really matters since RTÉ ONE +1 will close in Feb

Permanently? Wasn't aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

FonE wrote: »
    I have 2 tvs, one connected to a rooftop aerial, another working off an indoor aerial (the long white bar type). I had no channels at all on the one with the indoor aerial yesterday until I did the re-scan. Now I'm getting RTE1 on Channel 23 and all other channels on Channel 55. Previously, I got all on Channel 21, Mullaghanish which is where my rooftop aerial is also directed to.

So question:

Why is RTE1 coming from a different source to the others? RTE1 is skipping and jumping while the other channels are fine but when I tried to manually tune it to 21 I got nothing and it also won't tune RTE1 on Channel 55. Do I need to move my indoor aerial around to get it to pick up RTE1 on 55?

Also, the channels 11, 17 and 18 are still saying Rescan required and they're not on the EPG - will this change?

Why don't you connect both your TV's to the rooftop aerial via a splitter and have no more problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I think the plans are for RTE ONE+1 to turn into RTE Plus with a different schedule to RTE ONE and Two. I wouln't hold my breath waiting for this change to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Interestingly with masthead amp turned off there is no signal for MUX 2 but adequate signal to bring through MUX 1. I live in Moira Co. Down and have a 52 element Triax which brought in near perfect analogue RTE and even Saorview pre-DSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The last minister only gave permission for 4 years though like many others in government, Fianna Fáil and the Civil Service he can't add and put down Feb 2014 in his decision for the plus one channel.

No premission was given for RTÉ plus/three

It possibly won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

steveon wrote: »
    23 is mount leinster where are you based??

I'm in north of County Cork and before yesterday both tvs were tuned to 21 Mullaghanish. Mount Leinster is a long way away so I don't know how it's tuning to that transmitter.
    RTE1 on ch. 23 (Mt. Leinster mux. 1) will be the standard def. version that's due to go off shortly. Channel 55 should also have this version of RTE1.

Does this mean I won't be able to get RTE1 on Channel 23 when it goes off shortly? I tried tuning RTE1 to Channel 55 but get nothing.

Yes, I know I could get a cable run from the rooftop aerial to the tv that's running off an indoor aerial but it was going fine up to now so didn't see the point in bothering to get that job done. Of course I realise it may be needed down the road if things keep being changed around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Split from "Mux 2 launch date?" and stickied - can we have all rescan / mux 2 discussion here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Side Note - Watching TV3 is now even harder. The football tonight was just a blur.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mt Leinste may be far away but reception of it is still ok in most of North Cork.

Try a manual tune on channel 21/474MHz/474000kHz, and then channel 24/498Mhz/498000kHz

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

The second mux (or is it now the first?) from Mt. Leinster is Ch. 26, so if you're getting 23, try that too.

mike65 wrote: »
    Side Note - Watching TV3 is now even harder. The football tonight was just a blur.

Totally agree. Compared it with same match on UTV HD and difference was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Interestingly with masthead amp turned off there is no signal for MUX 2 but adequate signal to bring through MUX 1. I live in Moira Co. Down and have a 52 element Triax which brought in near perfect analogue RTE and even Saorview pre-DSO.

Major pain for me with these new muxes as the signal keeps dropping . Rteonehd mux worse affected. Tried adjusting amp as well. No effect. Will have to get up the ladder and try raise the aerial a few inches to see if it will stop falling off the digital cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Totally agree. Compared it with same match on UTV HD and difference was incredible.

Same here (on freesat rather than Sky), I dunno how TV3 can stand over such a picture as their FTA delivery method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

what a waste of an evening last night scanning and retuning!!!

any way in summary I have now no RTE 1 and jnr/+1. all other channels are fine!

what an october we are having spent the forst two weeks retuning the UK fta channels now this!

what does BER rate mean on the tv signal? mine is fluctuating from 0-10-e to 5555-10-e with the rain. I presume 0 is no problem and 5555 is a major problem as the signal freezes shortly afterwards?( Edit just found it bit error rate) so ignore..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

kooga wrote: »
    what a waste of an evening last night scanning and retuning!!!

any way in summary I have now no RTE 1 and jnr/+1. all other channels are fine!

what an october we are having spent the forst two weeks retuning the UK fta channels now this!

Do you have a STB? Is there a message on it saying on screen:

''Services not available anymore. Removed from channel list.''

I have got that message on my Triax combo box about 4 times at home. It is becoming extremely annoying at times.

And that is coming in from Three Rock for the past two nights as well coming in from Mount Leinster.

http://www.daltontv.ie/2013/10/on-screen-message-appearing-on-saorview-set-top-boxes/

I have got that message on my Triax combo box about 4 times at home. It is becoming extremely annoying at times.

And that is coming in from Three Rock for the past two nights as well coming in from Mount Leinster.

http://www.daltontv.ie/2013/10/on-screen-message-appearing-on-saorview-set-top-boxes/[/QUOTE]

i suppose i should of been more specific. i have two STBs (triax and alma)and since i did my rescan last night rte 1 and +1/jnr have fallen off the signal cliff!

No i am not getting that message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Did the rescan this morning here in Crosshaven on Ariva 150. RTE1, RTE1+1 and RTE Jr gone to Mux 2. Had to edit and move channels after the scan.

Programme info screwed up though. Maybe it will get back into synch later in the day.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Did the rescan this morning here in Crosshaven on Ariva 150. RTE1, RTE1+1 and RTE Jr gone to Mux 2. Had to edit and move channels after the scan.

Programme info screwed up though. Maybe it will get back into synch later in the day.

whats the reception like ? and where are u getting your signal from? duggans cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

FonE wrote: »
    I'm in north of County Cork and before yesterday both tvs were tuned to 21 Mullaghanish. Mount Leinster is a long way away so I don't know how it's tuning to that transmitter.

Does this mean I won't be able to get RTE1 on Channel 23 when it goes off shortly? I tried tuning RTE1 to Channel 55 but get nothing.

Yes, I know I could get a cable run from the rooftop aerial to the tv that's running off an indoor aerial but it was going fine up to now so didn't see the point in bothering to get that job done. Of course I realise it may be needed down the road if things keep being changed around.

Don't know where in North Co.Cork you are, but the Mitchelstown transmitter covers a large area of North East Co.Cork, parts of East Limerick and parts of South Tipperary, you could try tuning to it, Mux1 is CH 40 and Mux 2 is CH 43.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I just did a rescan on my Panasonic TV and the SSU channel on both Muxes seem to have been removed. Also channel 12 which is hidden is now saying test transmission it was saying no program information available.

Interestingly MUX 2 now working without masthead amp so whether they have ramped up the signal to similar level as MUX 1 I'm not sure. I'm receiving from Clermont Carn.

Is this message appearing on the 'old' version of RTE1 & RTE1 +1? Can you not take the hint & rescan to get mux 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Peter, I am guessing you have started all this digital cliff stuff!

You might want to explain it as people are thinking it covers every isuue :)

I'll leave it to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cliff

Basically, it's the sudden & complete failure to decode the signal when quality falls below a critical point. Contrasts with the gradual degradation seen with analogue tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Excellent explanation

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I'll leave it to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cliff

Basically, it's the sudden & complete failure to decode the signal when quality falls below a critical point. Contrasts with the gradual degradation seen with analogue tv.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

mux two here signal quality 90% and signal 80%. mux 1 78% signal and 58% quality since the retune. means I now have no rte2hd, tv3 and tg4. I still cant understand why saorview.ie is telling me that i should now be pointing to kippure which is 79km instead of cairn hill which is 58km. all the aerials in the estate point to cairn hill.

Advertisement