Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sor thought all I had to do was just to click on the automatic rescan button in the Installation menu ?? Seems not so simple, Also I appear to have lost BBC 1 from where I had it set up ???

That is basically it, BUT, it depends on the make of box. If your box is a combined Satellite and terrestrial (Saorview) you should only do a terrestrial automatic rescan.

What is the exact make and model of the box? Is it connected to a dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Factory set and then scan again. Start from scratch. It's the dual running of RTE1 SD and HD that seems to be causing boxes at lot of confusion. I'm not sure why RTE couldn't put the old version of RTE1 onto a different LCN until it is switched off, so any rescanning process would have put the HD version at LCN 1.

As for BBC 1, it might be a number of causes, from poor reception or co-channel interference. If you can be more specific about your general location I'm sure posters will be only too happy to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

zg3409 wrote: »
    That is basically it, BUT, it depends on the make of box. If your box is a combined Satellite and terrestrial (Saorview) you should only do a terrestrial automatic rescan.

What is the exact make and model of the box? Is it connected to a dish?

Yes, its a combined Satellite & Terrestrial (Saorview)- Saorview box is a Ferguson "Ariva" HD Combo Receiver. I'm still receiving RTE 1 and other Irish channels ok but RTE1 identifier doesn't come up when I swtch on to that channel and still says "rescan" ?

will try a terrestrial auto rescan so

The Cush wrote: »
    Is the Philips TV Saorview approved?

The first thing to look at in a case like this is the aerial and where its pointing at.

What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor and is it pointing at the transmitter recommended by Saorview for your location?

My problem with Mux2 yesterday was it was coming in much stronger than Mux1 causing a Waker STB to fail to store the channels. Others here have reported similar with the Mux 2 signal also.

TV is saorview approved, using Ferguson "Ariva" combo HD receiver for satellite & terrestrial, using sat dish

• Registered Users Posts: 41 zooropa2012

Are the two HD test cards on MUX 2 for TV3 HD and TG4 HD??. If so when are these likely to be available on Soarview? Additionally, will this mean we will have to do another retune when they are launched on this platform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

Saorview has no say into what the trade charges just as they didn't during leadup to ASO, at that time they simply quoted the price range the trade was charging. It's up to the customer to shop around.

They dont have a say but surely they know that most people watching Saorview are watching through combi boxes and they aren't simple to retune for most people, its disingenuous of Saorview to suggest to people that its a
    simple retune, anyway i think a minimum 40 euro charge should apply depending on how far the installer has to drive.

What about TV 3, TG4 and 3e are they going to move in the future and will a another retune be nessesary ? and another call out charge for the customer, i can understand a retune for new channels but to mess with the basic RTE Channels with a second retune would be just driving people towards pay TV , especially with eircom , upc and sky all competeing offering broad band TV and phone.

Have to say i find this a complete pain in the Arse , i am busy most of the time and need this like a hole in the head, maybe im looking at it all wrong
    and i should look at it instead as an opportunity to make more money out of
    people ive done installs for , i dont think so , people are just going to get
    fed up with free TV .

Saorview are much like our politicians , totally out of touch with its
    Customers

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Sorry Souriau, a bit of a luddite here when its comes to tecchie stuff - whats MUX2 &Mux 1 - I don't see any reference to it on the Installation menu on Saorview set up. By the way, I think our signal comes from the Cairn Hill transmitter in Longford if that's of any significance ?
    Thanks again and apologies for the ignorance - to listen to RTE thought all I had to do was just to click on the automatic rescan button in the Installation menu ?? Seems not so simple, Also I appear to have lost BBC 1 from where I had it set up ???
    Sorry for not being clear
    Mux 1 from Cairn Hill is 47 and Mux 2 is 44.
    Can you tell us what frequency is your RTE2 HD is. you may see it in the set up menu and signal info or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Are the two HD test cards on MUX 2 for TV3 HD and TG4 HD??. If so when are these likely to be available on Soarview??

You'll only get speculation here, TV3 and TG4 are the only people that can answer that for you.

Souriau wrote: »
    Sorry for not being clear
    Mux 1 from Cairn Hill is 47 and Mux 2 is 44.
    Can you tell us what frequency is your RTE2 HD is. you may see it in the set up menu and signal info or something similar.

On Channel List for RTE2 the following : DVB-T ,
    682000/8M , PID 1102/1202/81

Does this help ?

a bit of a luddite here when its comes to tecchie stuff - whats MUX2 &Mux 1

Mux1 & 2 are the 2 frequencies the Saorview channels are carried on from your local tranmitter. During an auto scan the receiver will check all frequencies and store any channel found.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Oct-2013.pdf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

This whole things a mess. Retuned my Triax TSC114 the other night, & had no RTE1 - just got a Rescan thingy? Did an autoscan (the 1st one was a manual one) & realised that there's now a 2nd multiplex! Messed up my Freeview from NI, all the Saorview stuff is mixed up in the middle of the BBC, ITV, C4, etc. It was so clean before, Saorview always came 1st: RTE1, RTE2, TV3, etc, followed by BBC, UTV, etc. Now its all messed up - BLAST!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

On Channel List for RTE2 the following : DVB-T ,
    682000/8M , PID 1102/1202/81

Does this help ?
    That is c47, from Cairn Hill,
    delete RTE1, RTE jr and RTE 1+1 on these setting 682000/8M.
    Then manually tune in C44 or 658000 khz, to add the new channels

Thanks for link , my understanding is that the set top box I have is Saorview Approved ?? - Ferguson Aviva Combo - for terrestrial channels and satellite/uk channels ???
    Should I do a Factory Reset or leave as is - I am getting all my channels , just that RTE 1 doesn't display channel name and still says "reset" and my BBC1 has gone AWOL !!!!

my understanding is that the set top box I have is Saorview Approved ?? - Ferguson Aviva Combo - for terrestrial channels and satellite/uk channels ???!

It's not Saorview approved - http://www.saorview.ie/equipment/saorview-approved-product-listings/, http://www.saorview.ie/product/saorview-combi-options/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

For anybody that needs to have their aerial checked (if you don't know how or its too dangerous for you to attempt it, get a competent installer to do it), a vertically polarised tv signal needs an aerial positioned as follows:

277384.jpg
    277385.JPG

For a horizontally polarised signal:

277386.jpg
    277387.jpg

@ The Cush, thanks again for your help - Interesting ! was told when buying that it was Saorview approved - so nothing for it but chance factory reset I suppose ????

@ The Cush, thanks again for your help - Interesting ! was told when buying that it was Saorview approved - so nothing for it but chance factory reset I suppose ????

I don't own one but that would be my first step.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

- so nothing for it but chance factory reset I suppose ????

Presumably at this stage, you've looked through the whole channel list, in case the receiver has dumped channels in some random location?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Presumably at this stage, you've looked through the whole channel list, in case the receiver has dumped channels in some random location?

Yeah, done restore and have my channels re-ordered, wasn't too difficult, I never bother with the trashy satellite stuff, just listed the terrestrial channels, the Irish & UK channels - RTE 1 now showing , no apparent difference so far !

• Advertisement

So RTE1 is now on 658 mHz & displaying the channel name in the EPG?

Yes, we saw that on day 1 when Rte1 +1 was transmitting an on-air caption as Rtéjr was transmitting it normal programming but reverted to the MHEG-5 generated caption later that day.

Rtéjr and Rté1 +1 are still on separate streams on Mux2. Easiest way to check is if you go to Rtéjr on LCN 7 and depending on how slow the MHEG-5 caption loads you will catch a glimse of the on-air caption " RTÉjr This channel is currently off air"

So RTE1 is now on 658 mHz & displaying the channel name in the EPG?

Yeah, went back to factory settings, reset and now I've now got RTE1 display on 658000/M8 - hope sorted now ? :o

Thanks to everyone for all the advice !

Rtéjr and Rté1 +1 are still on separate streams on Mux2. Easiest way to check is if you go to Rtéjr on LCN 7 and depending on how slow the MHEG-5 caption loads you will catch a glimse of the on-air caption " RTÉjr This channel is currently off air"

Indeed. If I disable MHEG-5 on my TV in the settings (Menu > Settings > Digital Text), the orange RTÉjr card stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Rescanned 2 or 3 times now and keep getting RTE1 on channel 11 or something, and RTE1, +1 and Jr are all still telling me to rescan.

Rescanned 2 or 3 times now and keep getting RTE1 on channel 11 or something, and RTE1, +1 and Jr are all still telling me to rescan.

What make & model receiver? What exact procedure did you follow for this 'rescan'? An auto search of all frequencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

What make & model receiver? What exact procedure did you follow for this 'rescan'? An auto search of all frequencies?

A Bush from Argos, Saorview approved. Just went into settings and Retune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Sorry Souriau, a bit of a luddite here when its comes to tecchie stuff - whats MUX2 &Mux 1 - I don't see any reference to it on the Installation menu on Saorview set up. By the way, I think our signal comes from the Cairn Hill transmitter in Longford if that's of any significance ?
    Thanks again and apologies for the ignorance - to listen to RTE thought all I had to do was just to click on the automatic rescan button in the Installation menu ?? Seems not so simple, Also I appear to have lost BBC 1 from where I had it set up ???

Mux 1 and 2 means the 2 frequencies you tune to.....e.g for me in Limerick

Mux 1 = CH47 MUX 2 = CH44...

They have just turned on mux 2 opening more bandwidth and switching on RTE1 HD at present...

steveon wrote: »
    Mux 1 and 2 means the 2 frequencies you tune to.....e.g for me in Limerick

Mux 1 = CH47 MUX 2 = CH44...

They have just turned on mux 2 opening more bandwidth and switching on RTE1 HD at present...

Thanks for clarification Steveon - my RTE 1 now says I'm on channel 658000/8M but doesn't say its HD, unlike RTE2 which says RTE2HD on screen ?

• Advertisement

You got that clarification already. You have the right RTE1 now: a lot of people prefer it without the onscreen graphic reminding them it's HD or otherwise.

Advertisement