Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Souriau wrote: »
    4mbps
    That's relatively low so, I wonder should we expect an increase over time? ... (RTÉ Two HD on satellite is running at 12mbps and around 6-8 on Mux 1?.. from what I remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's relatively low so, I wonder should we expect an increase over time? ... (RTÉ Two HD on satellite is running at 12mbps and around 6-8 on Mux 1?.. from what I remember)

Better bitrate than RTÉ1 SD at least. According to Saorview's Brian Geraghty this morning RTÉ1 HD is coming in the new year so this configuration may only be temporary.

I remember when the Magners League Final was broadcast in HD back in May 2011 the bitrate was reported here as up to approx. 10Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The Cush wrote: »
    Better bitrate than RTÉ1 SD at least. According to Saorview's Brian Geraghty this morning RTÉ1 HD is coming in the new year so this configuration may only be temporary.

I remember when the Magners League Final was broadcast in HD back in May 2011 the bitrate was reported here as up to approx. 10Mbps.
    Oh yeah definitely, looks a lot better on the eye then SD. Yeah I remember that Magners League Final ... was amazing quality - it was if i'm not mistaken on the same day as the Champions League Final but that ended up being upscaled. I suppose we will see it launch on all platforms at that stage and Saorview is probably being used as a testing service.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yeah I remember that Magners League Final ... was amazing quality - it was if i'm not mistaken on the same day as the Champions League Final but that ended up being upscaled.

Not forgetting the Cork vs Tipperary hurling match from Thurles the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

RTE1 HD appearing on EPG 820 for me after rescan so I've deleted RTE1SD on 801 and replaced it with RTE2HD. No other new channels have appeared for me except a Test Card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I just rescanned there and now have a few 'blank' stations and others telling me a rescan is required. Anyone know what the story is?

I'm in mid-Louth fwiw

RTE1 HD appearing on EPG 820 for me after rescan so I've deleted RTE1SD on 801 and replaced it with RTE2HD. No other new channels have appeared for me except a Test Card.

2 other channels moved over to Mux 2 today RTÉjr and RTÉ1 +1, the Mux1 versions are still there for the next 2 or 3 weeks but without any epg data or channel names. There are a number of test cards also.

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD
    02|RTÉ Two|HD
    03|TV3|SD
    04|TG4|SD
    05|3e|SD
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD
    17|no channel name (RTÉjr simulcast)|SD
    18|no channel name (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast)|SD
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|
    207|(not used**)|
    208|RTÉ Gold|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|
    ** previously RTÉ Choice

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD
    12|(no channel name***)|HD
    13|(no channel name/testcard)|SD - RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14|(no channel name***)|HD
    15|(no channel name/testcard)|SD - RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|
    07|RTÉjr*|SD
    08|RTÉ One +1*|SD
    211-212|(no radio channel names)|no audio
    213|(no radio channel name)|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214|(no radio channel name)|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217|(no radio channel names)|no audio
    218-219|(no radio channel name)|RTÉ Gold audio
    220|(no radio channel name)|no audio
    * RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx
    ***No HD testcards on LCNs 12 and 14 this morning

I just rescanned there and now have a few 'blank' stations and others telling me a rescan is required. Anyone know what the story is?

Is the Tv set to UK or Ireland? If set to Ireland all the channels with be stored in their new correct positions after a rescan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I'm in mid-Louth fwiw

If you are getting your reception from Clermont Carn, RTE 1 HD is on UHF ch 56 (754 Mhz), plus RTEjr and RTE 1+1 have moved there too.

These channels are still on 52 (722 Mhz) but have no EPG info and eventually will be removed. RTE1 is in SD on 52.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I'm in mid-Louth fwiw

Three Rock transmitter.
    Techwood 19911lcdhd tv.

I retuned & RTE 1 (channel 33) automatically became preset 1.
    RTE 1 (channel 30) is now 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thanks guys, and yeah Mr Cumulonimbus, I picked up those channels after doing a manual scan on that freq. cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I'm fairly sure somebody in this thread or in the saorview content speculation thread posted a pdf link about the deadline for RTÉ 1 HD bein in mid 2013 and mux2 being launched and in the pdf it suggested both RTÉ 1 HD and RTÉ 2 HD being on mux2 and something about ministerial discretion if someone remembers this post could they repost this link
    Also before the channels were placed in mux2 who was paying for the tests 2RN or RTÉ and if somebody remembers the pdf I'm on about would it mean that TG4 HD and TV3 HD will be on mux1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'm fairly sure somebody in this thread or in the saorview content speculation thread posted a pdf link about the deadline for RTÉ 1 HD bein in mid 2013 and mux2 being launched and in the pdf it suggested both RTÉ 1 HD and RTÉ 2 HD being on mux2 and something about ministerial discretion if someone remembers this post could they repost this link
    Also before the channels were placed in mux2 who was paying for the tests 2RN or RTÉ and if somebody remembers the pdf I'm on about would it mean that TG4 HD and TV3 HD will be on mux1

Minister Carey signed off on the new RTÉ services and it was suggested that RTÉ TWO HD, RTÉjr/RTÉ 1 +1 should air on Mux 2. When he left office that was forgotten about.

Oh and that RTÉ ONE HD should be developed go to the broadcasting section of www.dcern.ie

Minister's Decision - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/53109763-FB78-4318-A034-47D2021C6D39/0/MinistersDecision.pdf

Page 10

Conditions attaching to Specific Channels
    1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;
    2. The knowledge gained from technical trialling of the HD channel will be shared with other broadcasters;
    3. RTÉ should aim to provide for full HD versions of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two as soon as practicable and by mid 2013 at the latest;
    4. The RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel shall be carried on the first multiplex until 1 September 2011 and from 1 September 2011 shall be transferred to the second multiplex;
    5. No advertising is permitted on the RTÉjr or RTÉ News Now channel;
    6. In respect of RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now, RTÉ shall review Phase 2 of these channel proposals on foot of the suggestions set out in the public consultation in order to further enhance the public value of the channels.
    7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Elmo wrote: »
    Page 10

Conditions attaching to Specific Channels
    1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;

Unlikely to happen during this current retune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well both RTE's were never going to be on the same Mux as has been discussed earlier in this thread. The supposed reasoning being that the first mux was the one with the optimised frequencies and RTE were not allowed to have that for both its main TV channels. If that is true (there has been a lot of rejigging of the second mux frequencies since then) then RTE have put less value on RTE One HD than RTE 2 HD. I would find that hard to believe as they are not stupid, ya know. Perhaps Mux 2 has infact become more optimised from the tests carried out over the last year! Hang on I'll get me tin foil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Continuing from the last post mux 2 is now RTENL 1 and mux1 has become RTENL 2. This probably complies to a ministerial order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

It could happen 2 channels that had test cards are now blank and there are 2 channels with test cards that have audio but I suppose we've a few weeks to speculate on that matter and slightly more than 2 months to wait for the official launch of RTÉ1 HD
    A lot of us didn't expect RTÉ 1 HD, RTÉjr and RTÉ1 +1 to be on mux2 thinking that it was rejigging of the frequencies for a number of transmitters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Continuing from the last post mux 2 is now RTENL 1 and mux1 has become RTENL 2. This probably complies to a ministerial order.
    For sure that seems to have been the spirit of it. RTE 1+1 and RTE JNR moved to Mux 2. The placeholders "holding" "retune" will disappear in the coming weeks, perhaps allowing 2RN to increase the bit rates (in the short term) for the remaining channels on Mux 1 after those simulcasts are gone.

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    For sure that seems to have been the spirit of it. RTE 1+1 and RTE JNR moved to Mux 2. The placeholders "holding" "retune" will disappear in the coming weeks, perhaps allowing 2RN to increase the bit rates (in the short term) for the remaining channels on Mux 1 after those simulcasts are gone.

And RTÉ ONE +1 to go in Feburary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Rain playing havoc with my reception but rte hd version now showing no signal . New mux is higher strenght as the rain doesn't interefere with it as badly for some reason.

Rain playing havoc with my reception but rte hd version now showing no signal . New mux is higher strenght as the rain doesn't interefere with it as badly for some reason.
    Your reception must be borderline normally if the rain is affecting it, are you using an outdoor aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Your reception must be borderline normally if the rain is affecting it, are you using an outdoor aerial?

Yeah. On a gable end with no chimney. Saorview.ie now tells me I should be using kippure instead of cairn hill. But that involves a different aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

If I rescan for MUX 2 is there a chance I'll lose my Freeview (lite) channels?

adox wrote: »
    No provided the Freeview signal is OK but how you've arranged them might change, do you use Ireland or UK as the TV's region/country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

adox wrote: »

I would first check if you are still receiving the Freeview lite channels tonight. There is a chance a Saorview Mux 2 transmission from some part of the country may now be stopping distant reception. If you still have the channels then they should still be found again after an automatic scan, however before scanning I would try to make a note of the frequency you are receiving the old Saorview Mux1 channels and the Freeview Lite channels on.

You may need to do a factory reset. Also depending on the model of receiver you may need to do a manual scan of the Mux 1 Frequency, then Mux 2 then Freeview lite, to ensure they all arrive in a normal order with Saorview First and UK channels afterwards. It depends if your box is Saorview approved or not and how it handles auto-scan.

If your freeview lite is very weak it may struggle to find them on auto or even manual scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

muincav wrote: »
    Have NO channels at all now...rescanned several times and Got some back but all gone and none coming in on rescan....had most of the UK freeview channels too but nothing now....:mad:

All back now-thanks all....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cheers for the replies guys. Checked and the a Freeview channels were still there. Rescanned and MUX 2 coming in as well as the Freeview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭cormacl

So for the very first time now, if I start a recording on my Dreambox, it shows some of the other DTT services greyed our as they are unavailable... two muxes :)

The model I have is the DM8000 with 2 built-in DVB-S2 tuners and 2 spare slots. I currently have a single DVB-T tuner installed. Ironically I ordered a 2nd DVB-T tuner just yesterday from Amazon just to be ready and bang I need it the next day. The DM8000 is discontinued so I was also concerned that getting an extra tuner would become harder over time.

Will be interesting to see how quickly TV3 and TG4 go HD. I'm really excited to see how Vincent Browne's looks in HD with those hideous backgrounds.

Advertisement