Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    Sounds good - I can get from DNS to TSS in time for that.

Anyone any thoughts on a northside meetup location/time?

Phoenix Park, Infirmary Road entrance at 9:15? That way it'll give us 15 minutes or so for waiting until everyone shows up, and then the 11km or so to Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Phoenix Park, Infirmary Road entrance at 9:15? That way it'll give us 15 minutes or so for waiting until everyone shows up, and then the 11km or so to Dundrum.

By the Infirmary Road entrance I take it you mean The North Circular Road entrance and not the Parkgate st entrance.

Monday 28th October
    bcmf wrote: »
    By the Infirmary Road entrance I take it you mean The North Circular Road entrance and not the Parkgate st entrance.

Yep that's the one.

Monday 28th October
    Pedant alert

So its the North Circular Road entrance to the park as there is no public access to the park from Infirmary Road.

Monday 28th October
    bcmf wrote: »
    Pedant alert

So its the North Circular Road entrance to the park as there is no public access to the park from Infirmary Road.

Well it's the entrance on the corner of North Circular and Infirmary Road :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Monday 28th October
    Exactly 2k now on the page, not long to go before we surpass LPB's target :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure exactly where this has got to in terms of all the arrangements. If someone could post up all the details (route, meeting points and times) one of the mods can copy it into the OP, and we can drop Dav a PM to see if he can put up an announcement

Monday 28th October
    OK.
    So there will be a group meeting at the Infirmary Road/North Circular Road entrance to the Phoenix Park between 9.15 and 9.30 to head across the city to meet at the Luas Dundrum circa 10am to head into Wicklow for an easy paced spin.

I will let daragh post the route as I am not 100% sure what it is.
    Beasty you should be able to copy and paste as needs be.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is Sunday 27th confirmed?

Monday 28th October
    Poll - says - YES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Will gather everything together in the AM and post it here. On the phone now and it's useless for cutting and pasting.

Sunday 27th of October

Meeting Point - Northside
    Phoenix Park. Entrance at the corner of North Circular and Infirmary Road.
    Leaving at 9.15

Meeting Point - Southside
    http://goo.gl/maps/N6d1N
    Just up from Luas Bridge at Dundrum. From 9.45
    Leaving from Dundrum at 10/10.15
    (Please be aware Orwell Spins leave from outside Joe Daly's until 9.30 so don't get confused)

Route
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=619341
    47k. Opt out point at Glencree (where it's all downhill to Enniskerry).

Coffee Stop (You'll be buying your own coffee - so bring cash!)
    http://www.glencree.ie/site/armoury_cafe.htm
    I've emailed them to let them know we will be there.

Pace will be relaxed, sedate, chilled out and other words for slow. This is a nice morning spin, not a race. While most of us are Boardsies this is an unofficial spin and isn't organised or connected with Boards.ie, so any risk is your own. There is no mechanical support so please make sure you are self sufficient - bring tubes, pump etc. If you do get a puncture or mechanical there will be plenty of people willing to tell you how to fix it properly. The route isn't particularly challenging but there are a few hills. Don't worry about keeping up or slowing anyone down.

Most importantly - DONATE HERE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Monday 28th October
    And we're over the target, with more to come. Outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

I can't make this event unfortunately, (but I have donated)
    I'd like to wish everyone attending a safe enjoyable spin.
    Well done to all involved in organising and participating.
    (Sorry if it's off topic I just wanted to let you know I think you're all brilliant!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    I'm hoping to make this but wont know until closer to the day itself. Its two days before by Dad's anniversary who died of cancer so a most worthy cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Monday 28th October
    Great Work Every one.

So far Raised €2,585.00

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

Monday 28th October
    I know it was said in jest about wearing pink for the spin but just wondered if people taught it might be good to do it to raise awareness of what the spin is about

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I know it was said in jest about wearing pink for the spin but just wondered if people taught it might be good to do it to raise awareness of what the spin is about

What's all this wearing pink was said in jest talk? When it comes to cycling gear pink is the sh1t. I'll be wearing something pink on the day anyway along with the new Boards Kit.

Monday 28th October

Definitely wasn't said in jest, the lads around here take wearing pink very serious, even when it's not a charity thing.

There was almighty uproar when I changed the colour scheme of the kit from pink to green. I even heard there was blood spilt.

In all seriousness though, they're selling pink hairspray for hallowe'en in Tesco, I might pick up some of it for this.

Monday 28th October
    Is the charity page down for everyone else too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    Looking like I won't make this lads, I am in Beaumont on the Wednesday before and I don't think my legs will manage a trip again a few days later.
    What I will do it go out for a spin and wear the new jersey I bought in the auction and replicate the distance if I can in honor of "our peleton"
    If anyone else around Mayo wants to join me we can arrange something.

Monday 28th October

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

PayPal warned them about your involvement and they're shutting down your internet one site at a time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    In all seriousness though, they're selling pink hairspray for hallowe'en in Tesco, I might pick up some of it for this.
    My wife will love this idea, I for one am sold.

Monday 28th October
    The mycharity site is back online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

I've been blown away by the response to this and let me thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the your generous contributions. The past few weeks have been difficult for me as the cancer increasingly affects my lungs and now even a ten metre shuffle at a snail's pace can leave me breathless. However the Boards community has given me and my family a great lift at a bad time and it leaves me a little lost for words to express my gratitude. Health permitting, I hope that with the aid of a wheelchair and portable oxygen supply that I will be able to make it to the coffee stop to thank as many of you personally as I can.

Can I please plug again my items for sale to raise even more funds on the Adverts forum as follows

Winter Clothing
    Shoes - Road & MTB
    Short Sleeve Jerseys & Bib Shorts
    Novelty Jerseys

I have more stuff yet to be listed including 2 bikes, Oakleys and a Garmin 800 and if you forgive the gallows humour, I can't take them with me! Please make me a reasonable offer.

Padraig

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    Site is down up again ;)

@le petit braquet. If you are feeling up to it we would be chuffed to see you there!!!

@yop That's a shame, you could have worn your new Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

Monday 28th October
    detones wrote: »
    What's all this wearing pink was said in jest talk? When it comes to cycling gear pink is the sh1t. I'll be wearing something pink on the day anyway along with the new Boards Kit.

Apologies for any offence caused:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Three questions guys,

1.Where do you make an online donation
    2.Can you bring cash along on the day to donate
    3.There are two or three of us that would like to join in on this cycle if that's ok.

Thanks,
    Lambretta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement