Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    Lambretta wrote: »
    Three questions guys,

1.Where do you make an online donation
    2.Can you bring cash along on the day to donate
    3.There are two or three of us that would like to join in on this cycle if that's ok.

Thanks,
    Lambretta

1. http://www.mycharity.ie/event/padraig_oconaills_event
    2 I think it would be preferable to just donate online to keep it simple
    3 Yep the more the better

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bcmf wrote: »
    2 I think it would be preferable to just donate online to keep it simple
    Agreed, but we will try and sort something out for anyone that does want to throw anything into the pot on the day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would have liked to do this but have other commitments that day. Damn cross country running.
    Have fun folks, is there anywhere people can donate even if not doing the spin?

Monday 28th October
    ^^^^^^^^
    is there anywhere people can donate even if not doing the spin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

^^^^^^^^

Doh, you'd think I'd read the whole of even the last page before posting :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Monday 28th October
    Yep. See two (or more) posts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

LOL I wonder if I did it in fancy dress would I make any cash for the fund :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Carpenter wrote: »
    LOL I wonder if I did it in fancy dress would I make any cash for the fund :D:D

Maybe if you did it IN a fancy dress:D

The total raised has now gone just over four thousand euro. Thanks yet again for your amazing generosity and a particular thanks to those of you who have donated items of your own to auction for the cause.

I received a "thank you" email today from the Irish Hospice Foundation and I have replied as follows

It's thanks to the good folks on the Cycling discussion forum on Boards.ie that my fund raising has gone so well. I have terminal cancer and my original idea was to sell my cycling clothing and equipment and donate the proceeds to the both yourselves and the Cancer Society. Some people there who read my story, spontaneously decided to organise a charity cycle with contributions to the page, while other generously put up items of their own for sale with the proceeds to benefit the charities. The vast majority of these people do not know me personally, but I am deeply touched that they have raised so much through their compassion for a complete stranger. As I posted on the forum, Ireland is still a great country when people do things like this!

For my part I have been receiving top class attention from the home care unit In Blackrock Hospice. I'm sure you know it means such a lot to people in my position to maximise the time we can can spend with out families in the last months of life with the help that they provide. I know also that if I have to transfer to the hospice proper if my condition deteriorates too far for care at home, that I and my family will also receive the care and attention we need at that time.

I am just glad to be able to try and put something back to help the people who have helped me but it's the compassion of those on Boards.ie which really needs to be acknowledged.

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Beasty wrote: »
    Agreed, but we will try and sort something out for anyone that does want to throw anything into the pot on the day

Was there any more on this? I was talking to a few lads from my Club who were thinking of going but wanted to know about paying on the day. I guess it will take somebody to Volunteer to collect the cash.

• Advertisement

detones wrote: »
    Was there any more on this? I was talking to a few lads from my Club who were thinking of going but wanted to know about paying on the day. I guess it will take somebody to Volunteer to collect the cash.

If it helps, a few of my family members are planning to come to the start at Dundrum to thank you guys and see you off. I am sure that they will be prepared to take charge of any donations that people want to make on the day. Also one of my sisters is hoping to join the cycle with her husband, ferry crossing from the UK permitting.

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Hope to be there for it on Sunday (head to toe in Boards Pink)

Padraig, you are in my family's thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Myself and a couple of work colleagues of Padraig will also be taking part.

Well done on the OP for getting this organised.

I was up that way today and just so as all know the leaves are everywhere and very wet like (ice) but I am sure it is common this time of year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

So...are we still encouraged to aim for a Jan & Klodi look on Sunday? And is the route doable on a 48x16? Are there any really steep bits?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    So...are we still encouraged to aim for a Jan & Klodi look on Sunday? And is the route doable on a 48x16? Are there any really steep bits?
    I will also be on a 48x16 so lets hope it is doable.
    It has also occurred to me that I no longer have a boards jersey in Dublin so will have to come with other suitable attire as my jersey is in Wexford at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...is the route doable on a 48x16?...
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I will also be on a 48x16 ....
    Has it turned into a fixie outing? :eek:

(I'm still getting the hang of mine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    Has it turned into a fixie outing? :eek:

(I'm still getting the hang of mine!)

Hmm to do the 80km or so door to door on 48/17 or not......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Hmm to do the 80km or so door to door on 48/17 or not......
    .....yea, you're right to be doubtful. It should be a 53.

Monday 28th October
    Lads.....none of this ss/fixie nonesense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Up until today that was my plan as well but I've managed to borrow a bike with actual gears. Luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October

I'm definitely doing it now just to spite you.
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Up until today that was my plan as well but I've managed to borrow a bike with actual gears. Luxury!

I can use a Carrera TDF if needs be, but I'd have to swap over my pedals and set it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

48x16 or to us with gears 39x13. I don't know about you guys, but I quite like having my knees intact. Ye be crazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I hope to make it along to this very worthy event on Sunday.

Since I'm too tight to fork out for a Boards jersey, I'll attempt some "pinkness" by pinning the logo below to my regular jersey instead (full size image also attached, on the off chance that anyone else might like to use it).

Chin up, LPB!!

277397.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    Got the "Auction" jersey from _Tyrrell_, I will go out for a spin around Westport/Castlebar and wear it as I won't be able to drive up again on Sunday. Best of luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Since I'm too tight to fork out for a Boards jersey, I'll attempt some "pinkness" by pinning the logo below to my regular jersey instead (full size image also attached, on the off chance that anyone else might like to use it).

Nice!!

I have promised family/workmates that in return for some "moolah" for the fund, I will wear pink ribbons attached to various parts of me/bike/helmet/shoes, etc. Should match my pink cheeks on Sunday :o.

BTW. I'll be meeting the Northside group at the Phoenix Park.

Has anyone a boards top for sale size M
    I will feel out of place without 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Carpenter wrote: »
    Has anyone a boards top for sale size M
    I will feel out of place without 1

I've a spare Medium you can borrow.

Monday 28th October
    Don't forget the clocks changing on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I hope to make it along to this very worthy event on Sunday.

Chin up, LPB!!

277397.png

Thats some nice work there, pm sent.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement