Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly!

How about this?

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=619341

47k. Opt out point at Glencree (where it's all downhill to Enniskerry).

The bit up by Powerscourt Waterfall will be familiar to anyone who has done the Wicklow 200.
    I haven't spent any serious amount of time in Wicklow since since I moved outta town in the black and white days so best to leave the route to someone who knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    Route sounds grand to me, with the spin from mine to Phoenix Park and then out to Dundrum it'll bring it close to 80km for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

cool and the gang. :)

I'm just back on the bike after a month off, so I will be encouraging everyone to adopt a very sedate pace.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Due to being a *spit* runner as well as a cyclist, I cant do this spin, as I'll be doing Dublin Marathon.

But I threw a few bob in the kitty.

Things like LPB's posts wake you up to whats important, thank you for that.

Good luck to all with the cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Monday 28th October
    The bit up by Powerscourt Waterfall will be familiar to anyone who has done the Wicklow 200.

How severe is that bit?

I've gone up and over from naas-enniskerry a number of times always coming down by Glencree. I've never done the opposite or the route up by the waterfall don't want to be holding up the show. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Monday 28th October
    dogsears wrote: »
    I'd be up for that, although the main road to Mallow is crushingly dull - perhaps you meant using smaller roads?

Made my donation. And I'm taking this as a kick to do so more often (and not be so preoccupied with new wheels etc).

That nice to hear,

Was looking at maybe this Route would do
    http://www.strava.com/activities/84217731

Start off at the Opera house..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

Seen as how this whole spin has come together so quickly and the fact that people are putting their full weight behind it, could it be an idea to maybe publicise it a bit in the media. Maybe the mods or the boards staff might have a view. I just think that there is a vaulable chance to raise awareness for both the cause's we are supporting.

Monday 28th October
    Daithi101 wrote: »
    Seen as how this whole spin has come together so quickly and the fact that people are putting their full weight behind it, could it be an idea to maybe publicise it a bit in the media. Maybe the mods or the boards staff might have a view. I just think that there is a vaulable chance to raise awareness for both the cause's we are supporting.

Any one good at Adobe Design ? Make Posters, we could print them and have them put up in our local Gyms

Facebook and Twitter is the best place to post it Social Media wise

the Best thing to do is Pick a Date and have it the same for Dublin - Cork - Galway etc.

if we could get onto Hospice Foundation and have them put it on their Face book page after all the money we raise is going to them and the Cancer Research the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lads if you go the full way you ll have to introduce a fee and you ll need to have an insurance to get behind all this. You 'll also need to get approval from the Gardai and various small things I am forgetting. Not that all these is something very hard, but it's much harder than organizing a "simple boards spin".

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Well that escalated quickly!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=619341

47k. Opt out point at Glencree (where it's all downhill to Enniskerry).

Great Route. Road up from Waterfall is a great stretch. Very short ramp at the start, then gentle rise on up the valley, before it rises up a little towards the end. Great to have the Glencree/Enniskerry return option there as well.

Unfortunately, I will be away with the nippers for mid-term that weekend, but entry fees for myself and the young fella already donated. Have a great day.

• Advertisement

Monday 28th October
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    Lads if you go the full way you ll have to introduce a fee and you ll need to have an insurance to get behind all this. You 'll also need to get approval from the Gardai and various small things I am forgetting. Not that all these is something very hard, but it's much harder than organizing a "simple boards spin".

I do see your point, but for some places out side Dublin theirs not a lot of Board members on the cycling forums

That's a good point, but my line of thinking was along, here's a bunch of lads and ladies, who having seen one of their community stricken with the big C, they wanted to help in any way they could. We are just taken the opportunity from a normal Sunday morning to raise awarness and funds. Technically this isn't been promoted as an open event like many of the sportives are. We are just going for a group spin like any club would. I stand open to correction on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    Daithi101 wrote: »
    That's a good point, but my line of thinking was along, here's a bunch of lads and ladies, who having seen one of their community stricken with the big C, they wanted to help in any way they could. We are just taken the opportunity from a normal Sunday morning to raise awarness and funds. Technically this isn't been promoted as an open event like many of the sportives are. We are just going for a group spin like any club would. I stand open to correction on this though.

When money's involved, that all goes out the window. You'll have to get a Gardai permit to fundraise, permission from the charities involved etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Or we could just the 'money was just resting in my account' excuse!

As Astra says this is very much an informal, spontaneous spin.We won't have time to organise Marshalls, mechanical support etc. Whoever shows up, shows up. We will remind everyone that a donation to the fund is expected but we aren't doing support, food, massages at the end, timing chips, event t-shirts and so on.

We will have enough people on bikes to make sure nobody gets left behind and we aren't going anywhere you can't find your way back from if you have to.

@Mr.Fred There is one tiny steep bit right after the entrance to the Waterfall. It's less than a minute to climb. After that is a gradual climb up to Glencree with no ramps.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    When money's involved, that all goes out the window. You'll have to get a Gardai permit to fundraise, permission from the charities involved etc.

Ok, even though there are just personal donations, and we are just going for a spin would the same still be true. I just think it's a shame there's so much red tape, that it makes it harder to show people being positive and doing good than it is to show the negative, but I suppose that's another discussion.

Anyhow, evenone who is taking part on the day is doing it for the right reasons and I suppose that's good enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If the audax lads can put on an organised event for €5-€10 per person, where the more expensive €10 version includes a bit of nosh, this should be very doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    As Astra says this is very much an informal, spontaneous spin.We won't have time to organise Marshalls, mechanical support etc. Whoever shows up, shows up. We will remind everyone that a donation to the fund is expected but we aren't doing support, food, massages at the end, timing chips, event t-shirts and so on.

We will have enough people on bikes to make sure nobody gets left behind and we aren't going anywhere you can't find your way back from if you have to.

@Mr.Fred There is one tiny steep bit right after the entrance to the Waterfall. It's less than a minute to climb. After that is a gradual climb up to Glencree with no ramps.

This plus Astra's points.
    Its informal and a simple 'group' spin.
    If its succesful then maybe an annual event where we can take a longer run at it and keep it clear if the SSF.
    The boards community is huge and its a huge resource that can be tapped.

bcmf wrote: »
    This plus Astra's points.
    Its informal and a simple 'group' spin.
    If its succesful then maybe an annual event where we can take a longer run at it and keep it clear if the SSF.
    The boards community is huge and its a huge resource that can be tapped.

I think from the posts in this thread it can't be anything but successful. I am really looking forward to it. Great to see a community come together the way this one has for this cause.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Agreed - a "Boards spin" is a friendly get together - anyone welcome and everyone entirely at their own risk (although CI/IVCA members may be able to rely on their insurance cover). Making it an "official" (Boards or indeed any other type of) event would likely be an issue for Boards and anyone perceived to be organising it

That doesn't mean we cannot publicise it around here a bit, but everyone must fully appreciate they are doing it at their own risk (however small that risk is perceived to be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Monday 28th October
    Donation made to a very worthy cause. Hope to be able to make the cycle if not best of luck to all who do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Don't see where the raising of money to be an issue, you just donate online and have a friendly spin with your cybermater later.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    Dav wrote: »
    What else can we do?

If you know any businesses in the Dublin region looking to advertise to a large crowd of cyclists as well as get their name associated with a good cause, let them know, alongside cash donations, a bit of tea, coffee, cake and spot prizes for a raffle on the day would be awesome.

Might try and get some of the local rags out to get a few photos for a good cause, so they would get advertisement that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Monday 28th October
    Just saw the sponsored post banner on the top, very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Dav wrote: »
    Hello.

What can we do to help? We've just sent out a tweet about this thread. I reckon we can find a slot for you on the home page Announcements too.

What else can we do?

I can't see this on the home page. Is it there? Am I blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I'm trying to get a few big name,s tweeting about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Carpenter wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a few big name,s tweeting about this.

Ah, that was you, was it? I put it out on the Orwell Wheelers account, I'll see if I can get @DQSport to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Monday 28th October
    What time are we thinking of starting?

10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Monday 28th October
    Sounds good - I can get from DNS to TSS in time for that.

Anyone any thoughts on a northside meetup location/time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement