Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was hoping to get the local streaming content working somehow but the only way that I can see is the method mentioned here where you play the video through Chrome but I am finding it to be very choppy and unwatchable
    can someone else try this method please to see if it is just my old laptop that is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

dregin wrote: »
    What's the error message? Is it on the chromecast itself or your mobile device/laptop/whatever?

An error occurred while sending a command to the target device.
    This is from my nexus 4. It works grand off my Chromebook, and YouTube works perfectly with the Nexus 4 and 7, strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Skerries wrote: »
    I was hoping to get the local streaming content working somehow but the only way that I can see is the method mentioned here where you play the video through Chrome but I am finding it to be very choppy and unwatchable
    can someone else try this method please to see if it is just my old laptop that is the problem?
    Oh good god don't mention local streaming!
    You will get virgins in their parents basements quoting Ronseal and comparing your device to a microwave.
    ;-)

An error occurred while sending a command to the target device.
    This is from my nexus 4. It works grand off my Chromebook, and YouTube works perfectly with the Nexus 4 and 7, strange.

Still getting this error when using my phone. Fairly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Can anyone confirm for me if a Chromecast purchased in the USA will work here?

Ie: they aren't region locked of anything odd like that.

• Advertisement

Chomecast is only available in the US so no, they are not region locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Yeah that's where they're all coming from at the moment. It'll work fine assuming you don't have a upc Thomson router. They don't seem to get on!

Still getting this error when using my phone. Fairly annoying.

Emailed Google, got a response within an hour, anywho got the error sorted, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Emailed Google, got a response within an hour, anywho got the error sorted, happy days!

soo how was it fixed? info shared helps others!

god's toy wrote: »
    soo how was it fixed? info shared helps others!

Well the problem I had was playing from Netflix. I simply reset the chromecast, and reinstalled the app. Works perfectly now. Something I really should have done before emailing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well the problem I had was playing from Netflix. I simply reset the chromecast, and reinstalled the app. Works perfectly now. Something I really should have done before emailing them.

It's always the simple things we over look.
    Cool it's working now for ta.

What address did you use to contact them?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    What address did you use to contact them?

Chromecast support, there's a link to it on the chromecast homepage under support.

Just a heads up to anyone with the UPC thomson router, I had been trying with no success to connect my chromecast to it until today! I switched the channel the router broadcasts on from from 13 to 1. Now I've got a fully working chromecast at last. This setting can be found in the wireless tab. It tested it out on all the channels and the chromecast seems to only work on channels 1-11 so auto shouldn't be selected either as you may run into problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anything remotely similar to these available in bricks and mortar stores in Ireland?

Buying a new TV, smallest smart TV here seems to be 22" which I'm thinking might be too big for the spot in my bedroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just ordered a Chromecast on eBay for €42.59 incl delivery so near enough the same as the OP. Looking forward to trying it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Just paid €52 on ebay, I have a sky hub also, so wondering if any other poster experienced any difficulty with this router.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Just paid €52 on ebay, I have a sky hub also, so wondering if any other poster experienced any difficulty with this router.
    Absolutely flawless setup so easy.
    Unfortunately I don't use mine anymore.
    I went Straight back to using my PS3 as it does everything the Chromecast does plus it Let's you stream local media from your phone or tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I have a Sky Hub, no problems here. I DID have to connect through my Laptop first though before it would work with my phone.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I have a Sky Hub, no problems here. I DID have to connect through my Laptop first though before it would work with my phone.

My lap top died a couple of months ago, I replaced it with a samsung galaxy 2 10" tab, so I hope this is just as good ★
    Thanks for the feed back.

• Advertisement

Absolutely flawless setup so easy.
    Unfortunately I don't use mine anymore.
    I went Straight back to using my PS3 as it does everything the Chromecast does plus it Let's you stream local media from your phone or tab.

Dont have a ps3 so this will do just fine, have a wii and its painful to say the least with netflix :)

Sorry off topic here, but did anyone else get an email from sky store about a trial where you can for a period of time access recent movies for 99c as long as you give feedback with their surveys. Anyone else know anything about this, signed up for it anyway, have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

YouTube Music Awards on live now on all platforms but not Chromecast. They may be **** but that's not the point I should be able to watch a google made show on a google made device. Works fine on an Apple TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

These Chromecasts any good? Anyone getting good use out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Media999 wrote: »
    These Chromecasts any good? Anyone getting good use out of them?

Ideal if you are a Netflix fan and have your PS3/X-Box etc in a different room. Hard to go wrong at that price either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Mezcita wrote: »
    Ideal if you are a Netflix fan and have your PS3/X-Box etc in a different room. Hard to go wrong at that price either.

Is that all people use it for in Ireland? What else is on it? Also can you use a US proxy with Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Media999 wrote: »
    Is that all people use it for in Ireland? What else is on it? Also can you use a US proxy with Netflix?

You can also use it to send YouTube videos directly to your TV. Also possible to send stream from your laptop to the tv but it's not something I've tried as I hear it's pretty flaky so far quality wise.

Re the US proxy, there is apparently a way to get it working via UnblockUs.

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/questions/1385727-chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Question for any chromecast owners,

Does this work with the likes of Skifta for DLNA ?

As in would your skifta app on your phone pick up the Chromecast and stream media to the tv.

I can do this on my samsung smart tv as that is DLNA and skifta picks it up straight away on my network.

But would like something similar on a dumb tv i have.

Anyone ??

listermint wrote: »
    Question for any chromecast owners,

Does this work with the likes of Skifta for DLNA ?

As in would your skifta app on your phone pick up the Chromecast and stream media to the tv.

I can do this on my samsung smart tv as that is DLNA and skifta picks it up straight away on my network.

But would like something similar on a dumb tv i have.

Anyone ??

AFAIK, this only works with YouTube and Netflix, you can also cast tabs from chrome but it's flaky enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

AFAIK, this only works with YouTube and Netflix, you can also cast tabs from chrome but it's flaky enough.

Awe, I know google removed that allcast app from the appstore. i belief that may have handled for it.

I would buy one tomorrow if it had that ability.

Advertisement