Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

J o e wrote: »
    Just ordered a Chromecast on eBay for €42.59 incl delivery so near enough the same as the OP. Looking forward to trying it out!

Arrived yesterday so that eBay seller is legit. No import duty. Working great, very nice device!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

J o e wrote: »
    Arrived yesterday so that eBay seller is legit. No import duty. Working great, very nice device!

Yes, mine arrived this morning from florida and I'm well pleased also though mine was 52e.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Got mine the other day from a reseller on Amazon. €55 all in. Delighted with it so far. Netflix and Youtube cast perfectly and Plex lets me cast local stuff. Overall, delighted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

JoePie wrote: »
    Got mine the other day from a reseller on Amazon. €55 all in. Delighted with it so far. Netflix and Youtube cast perfectly and Plex lets me cast local stuff. Overall, delighted.
    Please please please tell me of this plex you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Chrome cast is very limited. I can cast XBMC from my desktop BUT NO SOUND. Thats a pain in the ass.
    I have Apple tv to watch Netflix so what extra can I get from Chromecast at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Please please please tell me of this plex you speak of.

Plex

Yep, that's the one. Tried it with mp4's, avi's and mkv's. Cast sound and video perfectly. No lag, no loss in quality.

Free service too. Dead handy.

RangeR wrote: »
    Cheers, do I just download the app straight from the playstore and off I go or do I have to go flashing and customizing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers, do I just download the app straight from the playstore and off I go or do I have to go flashing and customizing?

Read the link. Also read this.

To get the most out of Plex, you need to install the Plex Media Server on yer PC.

RangeR wrote: »
    Read the link. Also read this.

To get the most out of Plex, you need to install the Plex Media Server on yer PC.
    I had a quick skim through the wiki link and I can't see chromecast mentioned anywhere, I also can't see it mentioned on their website and the link brings me to the App for €3.79.
    I basically just want to know if I buy that app now can I go home and stream pictures and movies from my phone to my unrooted, uncustomized chromecast?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I had a quick skim through the wiki link and I can't see chromecast mentioned anywhere, I also can't see it mentioned on their website and the link brings me to the App for €3.79.
    I basically just want to know if I buy that app now can I go home and stream pictures and movies from my phone to my unrooted, uncustomized chromecast?
    Thanks.

Think plex allows the video to play in the chrome tab and you just cast the tab to the chromecast then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlgibnbK9hI

The PC end of it is all free. You just download the media server end of it. I haven't bothered with Plex from my phone at all. It just casts the tab, but more importantly, it'll allow audio and video from all file types to cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Saoir5e

Hi I'm getting to step 3, where it says "connect to your wifi your Chromecast has been configured with" but it doesn't seem to be saying they are connected. I get this error:

"Talking to your Chromecast
    Uh-oh moment...
    Unable to connect to the internet.
    Please verify that you have changed your computer's Wi-Fi network to the network you are using with your Chromecast"

Can anyone help? I'm sorry if this has already discussed (i have read the thread I promise) but I just don't know what all the computer lingo means :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Saoir5e wrote: »
    Hi I'm getting to step 3, where it says "connect to your wifi your Chromecast has been configured with" but it doesn't seem to be saying they are connected. I get this error:

"Talking to your Chromecast
    Uh-oh moment...
    Unable to connect to the internet.
    Please verify that you have changed your computer's Wi-Fi network to the network you are using with your Chromecast"

Can anyone help? I'm sorry if this has already discussed (i have read the thread I promise) but I just don't know what all the computer lingo means :(

Change the channel your wifi broadcasts on. Chromecasts only see channels 1-11

Sorry I don't understand that, do you mean on my telly?

I know this is probably frustrating for someone who has a clue but I don't, really sorry.

Sorry I don't understand that, do you mean on my telly?

I know this is probably frustrating for someone who has a clue but I don't, really sorry.

No in your router settings, what router have you got?

Again not sure what that is, the modem is Motorola SBG900 Wireless Surfboard Gateway. I get my wi fi from the local cable company that also supply my tv connection. It's not UPC or Sky it's called Smyths Cable.

Maybe I should just give up and get someone that knows what their doing to sort it for me :)

Ok with a bit of digging i've found out it's already on channell 1!

Ok with a bit of digging i've found out it's already on channell 1!

Must be something else so, have you tried setting it up from a phone or tablet? Strange but sometimes it works when it won't from a pc.

Also have a look here, https://support.google.com/chromecast/troubleshooter/2995236?hl=en

Yeah I have a Microsoft Surface but it won't let me download googlechrome onto it. Anyhow thanks for your help, i'll just keep at it and if all else fails i'll give it to one of my rellies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Yeah I have a Microsoft Surface but it won't let me download googlechrome onto it. Anyhow thanks for your help, i'll just keep at it and if all else fails i'll give it to one of my rellies.

Can you borrow an android phone or iPhone off someone for the setup? I was having the same problem as you were. My laptop wouldn't work on the setup but I switched to my phone and it's working away grand now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has anyone gotten netflix to work on it yet? Poxy app doesnt have the cast option!! Youtube works fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Netflix works perfect. Icon appears once the chromecast is detected. Maybe you need to upgrade your Netflix app?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Same for me, Netflix has always worked perfectly, been using it for months with the Chromecast now on both my Nexus 4 and 7 without issue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm odd. I've tried it on 3 androids and no joy. I googled it there and apparently there's a common issue with the icon not appearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone know yet if Skifta app works on this yet ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skifta.android.app&hl=en

It just perfect for dlna and works seemlessly to my samsung tv, was hoping i could use chromecast to emulate this to my non smart tv

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

antodeco wrote: »
    Hmm odd. I've tried it on 3 androids and no joy. I googled it there and apparently there's a common issue with the icon not appearing!

This happened to me.

I connected using my laptop and it worked from there on out on all Android devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone know where I can find info on how to flash the stock ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People shouldn't be recommending Plex, it is definitely not flawless audio/video or a reason to pick up a Chromecast. Chomecast can barely handle casting a static tab flawlessly so how do you expect it to cast a 720p/1080p player running in a tab? Answer is it doesnt, even with a beast of a pc and a €200 router 10 feet away, its constantly stuttering.

Until Google release the SDK and let people write apps then casting video files is a no-go on this device, it is strictly a Youtube/Netflix dongle and it handles them very well it has to be said, if they ever release a video player for all your local content then it will be all good but theres a strong possibility they never will due to pressure from content providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

antodeco wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten netflix to work on it yet? Poxy app doesnt have the cast option!! Youtube works fine!

Are you doing something with your IP address? I can't seem to get the cast button when accessing the American Netflix.

Advertisement