Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Urquell wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry to be thick but is there any difference between a Chromecast I buy from the US as opposed to one I get from a UK/Ire seller? It should work just as well, right?

Both the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭VikingG

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    You probably just need to change the broadcast channel on the router to something between 1 and 10.

Thanks for the tip... unfortunately it did not make any difference. I get past the first screens to the point where you enter your wifi network password. However at that point I get a helpful error message .. "Something went wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

VikingG wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip... unfortunately it did not make any difference. I get past the first screens to the point where you enter your wifi network password. However at that point I get a helpful error message .. "Something went wrong"

It will only work on 2.4G wifi. If your AP is 5G, you need to notch it down. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you are probably on 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

RangeR wrote: »
    It will only work on 2.4G wifi. If your AP is 5G, you need to notch it down. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you are probably on 2.4

Hey guys,
    My AP\router is the bog standard one from UPC that I got when I upgraded to their 50MB service. Thing is in my second bedroom which is further from the router YouTube is constantly buffering and sometime will not play videos at all which is really annoying!! Anyone any advice how I can improve this if at all?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    My AP\router is the bog standard one from UPC that I got when I upgraded to their 50MB service. Thing is in my second bedroom which is further from the router YouTube is constantly buffering and sometime will not play videos at all which is really annoying!! Anyone any advice how I can improve this if at all?

Cheers,
    M
    WiFi Range Extender is needed, plug one of these in halfway between your bedroom and router (or use a WiFi Scanner on your phone and place where signal is at 50%).

http://www.expansys.ie/asus-rp-n53-dual-band-wireless-n600-range-extender-802-11-abgn-uk-adapter-251238/

summary.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

advertsfox wrote: »
    WiFi Range Extender is needed, plug one of these in halfway between your bedroom and router (or use a WiFi Scanner on your phone and place where signal is at 50%).

http://www.expansys.ie/asus-rp-n53-dual-band-wireless-n600-range-extender-802-11-abgn-uk-adapter-251238/

summary.jpg

Thanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

advertsfox wrote: »

summary.jpg

I was going to suggest this powerline twin pack, one for connection to router, the other serves as a wireless AP, and has an Ethernet port, 2??, for wired connection also.....

TP-Link TL-WPA281KIT V3 AV200 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender with 2 Ethernet Ports Starter Kit (Wi-Fi Clone, No Configuration Required)
    by TP-Link

Here is a vid showing set up and info:

£46.67 Free del. to Ireland, (slight difference is Irish VAT)

[I have been using this type of combination in my home and a previous house, for over ten years, obviously mine are just the 54 Mbps lower speed models from Solwise, but they are still going strong]

Alternatively, here is a WiFi range extender from the same company, on Amazon:

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration)

and a vid:

Costs £31.65 + £5.52 del. to Ireland....

you could do it cheaper with Parcel Motel £31.65 (free del to UK... €3.50 for PM) (and probably cheaper base price from another seller on Amazon...)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭VikingG

RangeR wrote: »

yes I know what you are talking about and it is 2.4GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

VikingG wrote: »

I had this issue with a D-Link 2740b. Could not for the life of me get the chromecast to work, same issue as you. Stuck in another netgear router I had, worked straight away...

At the time my workaround was to put the netgear in as an AP close to the Chromecast, so it connected to that, and leave my dlink as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is RTE player on this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mathie wrote: »
    Is RTE player on this yet?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Nope.

But you can open Rte player in chrome browser on laptop or PC and cast that to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Peterd66 wrote: »
    But you can open Rte player in chrome browser on laptop or PC and cast that to TV.

Can you watch anything that plays in a browser then? Let's say random streaming sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Can you watch anything that plays in a browser then? Let's say random streaming sites ?

Yes but badly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I sold mine for €15. I bought a Tronsmart T1000 waiting for it to arrive. Any Android device with allcast and an Android stick work wonders. I bought the T1000 because it was €20 and I wanted to see how it performs.

The Chromecast is available on Amazon Germany now. - http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00DR0PDNE/

I wouldn't bother though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A review from the day it was released over half a year ago. Since then there have been a lot more apps released.

I'm using plex to stream media directly from my PC. Its UI is better than netflix. Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Allyall wrote: »
    I sold mine for €15. I bought a Tronsmart T1000 waiting for it to arrive. Any Android device with allcast and an Android stick work wonders. I bought the T1000 because it was €20 and I wanted to see how it performs.

The Chromecast is available on Amazon Germany now. - http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00DR0PDNE/

I wouldn't bother though.

It doesn't seem to ship to Ireland or Parcel Motel, pity that's probably the lowest price i've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

DubDJ wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to ship to Ireland or Parcel Motel, pity that's probably the lowest price i've seen it.

Sorry, They've been moving. The 7th down at the time of writing - "VP Sales UK" do deliver here €37 - http://www.amazon.de/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2P8U2BE8B5I6L

€4.62 shipping. It is possible a few may deliver to Parcel Motel also.
    A few others also ship here.

I honestly don't see why, but it's not for me to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Have a couple of spare chromecasts coming to me next week if anyone is keen, brand new in packaging.

€60

pm me...pick up in D2

• Advertisement

Have a couple of spare chromecasts coming to me next week if anyone is keen, brand new in packaging.

€60

pm me...pick up in D2

For both?? Or each, (no postage)...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

For both?? Or each, (no postage)...

I have a spare one unopened, would do it for 40 to get rid of it if he's looking for for 60 each of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I use the show box app a lot, but Avia media player is great for streaming that app to the chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I use the show box app a lot, but Avia media player is great for streaming that app to the chromecast.

I use live streaming app for a pirate footy stream, would that work you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,324 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I had no idea Chrome Cast needed to be plugged in!

What a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,158 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

noodler wrote: »
    I had no idea Chrome Cast needed to be plugged in!

What a deal breaker.

If your TV has a USB port you can plug it in there

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If your TV has a USB port you can plug it in there

Windup merchant...

Edit:

Maybe not....I thought reference was to dongle, not power source....

mistake??

Sorry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Presume you're kidding? Most modern TVs with HDMI would have a USB port. HDMI doesn't supply power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,158 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Google_Chromecast_35823617_02_620x433.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,324 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Presume you're kidding? Most modern TVs with HDMI would have a USB port. HDMI doesn't supply power.

Fair point.

Not kidding at all, I read the quoted review and they had a cable running all th eway from the dongle to the plug sucket in their diagram.

Most modern TVs have em though, thats true.

Advertisement