Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Can't get mine to connect to wifi :mad: D-link router...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Gryzor wrote: »
    Can't get mine to connect to wifi :mad: D-link router...

Pity Googles only response to this problem is "try restarting the router".

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Anybody having any issues with UPC's Cisco EPC3925 modem?

Have the Chromecast set up with my phone and all, and it connected to the network without any problems. I can cast from the phone and laptop no problem, but my desktop PC can't find the device. It's connected to the modem via Ethernet (over some Homeplugs along the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Got mine connected, had a netgear router lying around. Tried that, chromecast connected straight away...

Tried turning on or off all the settings like multicasting etc on the d-link that i could find...just wouldn't play ball with the chromecast...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

DNS settings are hardcoded into the Chromecast. You have to either hax it at the router or do some ARP poisoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Anyone any luck with new UPC Horizon all-in-one router with tv etc? When I get to set-up apparently it can't see my wifi network as it's not 2.4 Ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Ok got it set up.

I couldn't set it up by phone, my phone had trouble finding the CC (S4). Set up worked on the laptop though and since i can send thing from the laptop/phone to it.

Its a nice piece of kit, i've been using my Playstation for youtube/netflix. Its very similar.

Though how do you try it off ?? Do you just leave it on constantly

Thanks for this post. Was going nuts trying to get it working on my phone. After setting it up on the laptop it works perfectly on the phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Telchak wrote: »
    Anybody having any issues with UPC's Cisco EPC3925 modem?

Have the Chromecast set up with my phone and all, and it connected to the network without any problems. I can cast from the phone and laptop no problem, but my desktop PC can't find the device. It's connected to the modem via Ethernet (over some Homeplugs along the way).

Haven't tried it with a laptop, but same problem with a desktop. There are no homeplugs here, wired directly to the router, have turned off my firewall and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭steve_r

Messed around with it last night. No isses with setting up on UPC (dunno what modem type).

Streaming from Netflix was a bit laggy, not as good as ps3. Apparently there's a view of viewing local files through Chrome, but I couldn't get it to work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hey guys I got mine yesterday and if I'm to be completely honest I'm totally underwhelmed and disappointed.
    I know I should have read the recent reviews and opinions but one of my buddys was in the states and I rushed in.
    I read early reviews where there was a work around so you could cast local images and videos off your device.
    I set mine up last night and connected my phone and all I could do was play a YouTube video. Big whoop di do!
    I don't watch Netflix and I tried to cast a Web page from my chrome browser and found out that I can only do that from my laptop. Does this gadget have any practical uses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

steve_r wrote: »
    Messed around with it last night. No isses with setting up on UPC (dunno what modem type).

Streaming from Netflix was a bit laggy, not as good as ps3. Apparently there's a view of viewing local files through Chrome, but I couldn't get it to work

Is it the white router you have? The one with 2 antennas on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hey guys I got mine yesterday and if I'm to be completely honest I'm totally underwhelmed and disappointed.
    I know I should have read the recent reviews and opinions but one of my buddys was in the states and I rushed in.
    I read early reviews where there was a work around so you could cast local images and videos off your device.
    I set mine up last night and connected my phone and all I could do was play a YouTube video. Big whoop di do!
    I don't watch Netflix and I tried to cast a Web page from my chrome browser and found out that I can only do that from my laptop. Does this gadget have any practical uses?

It was fairly underwhelming. I'm hoping more apps/functionality will be added.

For the price, and for what it does do, I'm happy with it.

Just on the router, its not the white one. I was in a rush last night so I couldn't check the actual make but I know loads of people are on UPC so I wanted to let people know that it can work.

I agree that it's underwhelming but t's exactly what I thought it would be when I ordered it.

When (if?) it opens up it'll be a nice little purchase. BUt even for now, if all I use it for is to stream You Tube & Netflix to the TV, it's still worth €40!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nolimits wrote: »
    Haven't tried it with a laptop, but same problem with a desktop. There are no homeplugs here, wired directly to the router, have turned off my firewall and still nothing.

Your PC has to be on the Wi-Fi network for it to find the Chromecast, it wouldn't find it for me when plugged in via the Ethernet cable but did when I moved to the Wi-Fi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I agree that it's underwhelming but t's exactly what I thought it would be when I ordered it.

When (if?) it opens up it'll be a nice little purchase. BUt even for now, if all I use it for is to stream You Tube & Netflix to the TV, it's still worth €40!

Its worth it for what it is IMO, tried the mirroring from chrome on the Mac and it was fairly choppy but its still in Beta....

Only cost me 25 euro though as the sis was over in the states....

Your PC has to be on the Wi-Fi network for it to find the Chromecast, it wouldn't find it for me when plugged in via the Ethernet cable but did when I moved to the Wi-Fi network.

Just for the initial setup; after that it should be fine to use a wired connection (but for me isn't).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

People moaning about paying $35 for a device that does exactly what it says on the tin and who haven't read what it actually says on the tin before buying are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

Is it possible to play videos from your laptop onto the tv via this (I know there was an android app that did that, but google blocked it so it won't work anymore)?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Howlin1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to play videos from your laptop onto the tv via this (I know there was an android app that did that, but google blocked it so it won't work anymore)?

No, it will only mirror your chrome browser at the minute.

No, it will only mirror your chrome browser at the minute.

Chrome can actually play a decent amount of videos if you click and drag them into your browser, so you can do it that way.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    People moaning about paying $35 for a device that does exactly what it says on the tin and who haven't read what it actually says on the tin before buying are hilarious.
    As I said I researched the product when it was originally released when you could use allcast to stream your local media.
    When I realised my friend was coming home from the states I rushed in and asked him to get me one, not knowing Google had released an "update" to block this feature.
    Glad my comment was hilarious though. Really love Cheering up fandroids who don't have the time to read original posts properly.

Glad my comment was hilarious though. Really love Cheering up fandroids who don't have the time to read original posts properly.

Ugh!

Ugh!
    Just in case you think I'm an apple fan in here trying to rile up android enthusiasts, then to couldn't be more wrong.
    I never have or never will own an apple product.
    I'm just unbiased enough to comment realistically about any operating system or manufacturer.

How can you say "I will never own an Apple product" and then say you are unbiased?

How can you say "I will never own an Apple product" and then say you are unbiased?
    I personally don't like Apple but if they come out with a genuinely good product (apple tv) then I won't let my dislike for them to cloud my judgement in recommending said product to someone else.
    I won't blatantly Slam their products and promote android over them just because of my personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I personally don't like Apple but if they come out with a genuinely good product (apple tv) then I won't let my dislike for them to cloud my judgement in recommending said product to someone else.
    I won't blatantly Slam their products and promote android over them just because of my personal preference.

Yeah because Apple have never released a good product before? Also wouldn't they be Chrome fanboys as this isn't an Android dongle?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah because Apple have never released a good product before? Also wouldn't they be Chrome fanboys as this isn't an Android dongle?
    The only reason it's not droidcast is because Google didn't want to alienate ios users and also might have something to do with $$$$$$$

You don't think the Apple iPhone is an awesome product?

Why are you even bringing fanboyism into this conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Let's keep on topic guys and not let this degenerate into an Apple versus Android argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Dudda wrote: »
    The Google Chromecast streaming device is now available in Ireland.

You can purchase the Chromecast on Amazon.com now and it ships to Ireland

This is the cost for one but I just purchased two for 76 euro.
    Items: EUR 26,79
    Shipping & handling: EUR 6,88
    Total before tax: EUR 33,67
    Estimated tax to be collected: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit EUR 7,75
    Order total: EUR 41,42

Estimated delivery: Oct. 22, 2013 - Oct. 30, 2013

They're telling me they won't ship to Ireland?

"Buyers outside the U.S. cannot purchase the following types of items from sellers: video games, toy and baby items, electronics, cameras and photo items, tools and hardware, kitchenware and housewares, sporting goods and outdoor equipment, software, and computers."

What's the workaround here? :)

Advertisement