Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Saoir5e

Can you borrow an android phone or iPhone off someone for the setup? I was having the same problem as you were. My laptop wouldn't work on the setup but I switched to my phone and it's working away grand now.

This worked, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Folks,
    See a lot of negative comments about broadcasting from Chrome on PC. Got chromecast earlier this week, and no issue broascasting from Chome on a laptop in different room to TV all week, RTE player (generation war, Other voices live), Wiziwig for Heiniken cup yesterday and mp4 video.

Only issue is chromecast and router losing connection, as HDMI cable is at back of TV and TV is furtherest possibe point from router. planning to just get a longer lead to move chromecast to side/below/above TV.

Also Iphoone losing netflix link between movie playing on chromecast and that on Iphone, but suspect that's an iphone issue.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

PeterD66
    are you saying that you are getting sound when you cast from PC to TV?
    I can get perfect picture but no sound.
    I read somewhere that this was deliberate Google policy.
    Netflix and Youtube has sound and vision but everything else is silence.
    Can you confirm that you have sound.
    Thank you

Yeah plenty of sound, no issues at all.

Running Chrome on a 1year old Lenovo laptop on Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Thank you
    I give it a shot on a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Guys,

Can these still be got from Amazon ? I tried to purchase but it gave me an error on the shipping address, saying it cant be delivered. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I ordered two from Amazon UK on Friday evening. Price is a little different but still a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I got an email from Amazon saying they are refunding 1.50 from the cost of the dongle because the fees were less than expected :P

Its the little things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

garroff wrote: »
    PeterD66
    are you saying that you are getting sound when you cast from PC to TV?
    I can get perfect picture but no sound.
    I read somewhere that this was deliberate Google policy.
    Netflix and Youtube has sound and vision but everything else is silence.
    Can you confirm that you have sound.
    Thank you

FWIW, I'm getting full sound from casting chrome to TV as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Guys,

Just bought one on Amazon but had to use parcel motel for the delivery. Is that the case with everyone else also ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I got an email from Amazon saying they are refunding 1.50 from the cost of the dongle because the fees were less than expected :P

Its the little things

Getting a 1.46 refund too because the export fees were less than expected. Strange but I'll take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Is there anywhere else to buy these apart from Amazon? Bought on Amazon.co.uk and was supposed to dispatch in time to be at PM on Saturday. Still haven't got an email. Thinking about cancelling that and buying elsewhere IF there's another option.

No bricks and mortar stores selling them?

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere else to buy these apart from Amazon? Bought on Amazon.co.uk and was supposed to dispatch in time to be at PM on Saturday. Still haven't got an email. Thinking about cancelling that and buying elsewhere IF there's another option.

No bricks and mortar stores selling them?

Amazon usually give a 3 to 4 day dispatch window, not an exact day. PM will delay it by about a day too. Just let it come. It will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    My brother came from San Francisco yesterday and had one for me. So very easy to set up and all that but as my AV receiver has no HDMI in (from the TV) so when I watch Netflix I'm not getting the full 5.1 sound :-( As well as this when I use Google Play Music it sounds crap coming through just the TV speakers. So, I'm now on the hunt for a new AV receiver and speakers, anyone any recommendations? I have a Samsung 46 inch series 5 TV and am currently using a Sony DAV-DZ260 unit.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    My brother came from San Francisco yesterday and had one for me. So very easy to set up and all that but as my AV receiver has no HDMI in (from the TV) so when I watch Netflix I'm not getting the full 5.1 sound :-( As well as this when I use Google Play Music it sounds crap coming through just the TV speakers. So, I'm now on the hunt for a new AV receiver and speakers, anyone any recommendations? I have a Samsung 46 inch series 5 TV and am currently using a Sony DAV-DZ260 unit.

Cheers,
    M
    I'd suggest having a look on Richer Sounds as they normally have some good deals on AV receivers.

When you have narrowed down what features you want and your budget AVForums will have reviews and user threads on just about all that Richer Sounds offer.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Do-more wrote: »
    I'd suggest having a look on Richer Sounds as they normally have some good deals on AV receivers.

When you have narrowed down what features you want and your budget AVForums will have reviews and user threads on just about all that Richer Sounds offer.

Thanks a million for that! Are you getting 5.1 via the Chromecast yourself when you use Netflix mate?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

madmoe wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that! Are you getting 5.1 via the Chromecast yourself when you use Netflix mate?

Cheers,
    M
    No I bought a Miracast dongle to try out first, don't know if I really need either as I already have an Artic fanless PC running Win8 hooked up to the TV via a Pioneer VSX 828 AVR! :D

The dongle is on a slow boat from China so probably won't have it for weeks yet.

invest4deepvalue.com

RangeR wrote: »
    Amazon usually give a 3 to 4 day dispatch window, not an exact day. PM will delay it by about a day too. Just let it come. It will.

Yes but you would usually get a despatched email when it has done so, correct? Last day for PM is Saturday and no sign of this email yet. Even ordered next day delivery to make sure. Argh.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Yes but you would usually get a despatched email when it has done so, correct? Last day for PM is Saturday and no sign of this email yet. Even ordered next day delivery to make sure. Argh.

Yeah. These are shipping from Amazon warehouse in UK [I think]. I'd be expecting it pretty soon.
    Is your order not even marked as Dispatched in the Amazon order history?

RangeR wrote: »
    Yeah. These are shipping from Amazon warehouse in UK [I think]. I'd be expecting it pretty soon.
    Is your order not even marked as Dispatched in the Amazon order history?

Nope. "Dispatching Now" is the status. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got mine for £38.29 from Amazon.co.uk LondenDeals in early December. No longer listed.

To be fair £45 ain't that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

dreamers75 wrote: »

Try eBay UK, see here:

http://goo.gl/WBLQ6X

First on that list is priced at £33.41 incl postage from US. [aprox €41]

Would have to disagree. Running movies in chrome (and plex) on laptop in different room to TV with chromecast, might stutter once/twice in a movie but genreally no issues.

Used it for wizwig in Chrome for rugby at the weekend also.

Running on fialy standard laptop and UPC router. But have used short extension lead that came with Chromecast to move it slightly from other leads and TV.

Peter

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Would have to disagree. Running movies in chrome (and plex) on laptop in different room to TV with chromecast, might stutter once/twice in a movie but genreally no issues.

Used it for wizwig in Chrome for rugby at the weekend also.

Running on fialy standard laptop and UPC router. But have used short extension lead that came with Chromecast to move it slightly from other leads and TV.

Peter

Sorry, peter, can't make this out.

Who are you disagreeing with??

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭VikingG

Just a note that I brought one back from the US in December and found it doesn't work with my router.
    In fairness my router is a pretty old Zyxel P660 that came free from an ISP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

VikingG wrote: »
    Just a note that I brought one back from the US in December and found it doesn't work with my router.
    In fairness my router is a pretty old Zyxel P660 that came free from an ISP...

You probably just need to change the broadcast channel on the router to something between 1 and 10.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Plex streaming from the PC has been working wonderfully well.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    You probably just need to change the broadcast channel on the router to something between 1 and 10.

As Tech Guy says, change channel, here is a good "tecky" read.....

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Hi all, sorry to be thick but is there any difference between a Chromecast I buy from the US as opposed to one I get from a UK/Ire seller? It should work just as well, right?

Advertisement