Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

They're telling me they won't ship to Ireland?

"Buyers outside the U.S. cannot purchase the following types of items from sellers: video games, toy and baby items, electronics, cameras and photo items, tools and hardware, kitchenware and housewares, sporting goods and outdoor equipment, software, and computers."

What's the workaround here? :)

Ebay!

Turns out it was a mistake to allow us to buy them in the first place.

Ebay works out fine at the same price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Folks i havent read all this thread nor havent fully researched this gadget.
    One question, if i was to watch a stream on my PC can chromecast show it on my TV? [in the same room]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Quick Question , How are people getting american netflix on this.

My understanding is , you pick what you want on the phone, but the phone is irish netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Dcully wrote: »
    Folks i havent read all this thread nor havent fully researched this gadget.
    One question, if i was to watch a stream on my PC can chromecast show it on my TV? [in the same room]
    Yes, you can cast a Chrome tab to it (but it may be occasionally buggy).
    Kenno90 wrote: »
    Quick Question , How are people getting american netflix on this.

My understanding is , you pick what you want on the phone, but the phone is irish netflix.
    I imagine people are setting up a US vpn on their phone/tablet to geta ccess to US Netflix.

Telchak wrote: »
    Yes, you can cast a Chrome tab to it (but it may be occasionally buggy).

I imagine people are setting up a US vpn on their phone/tablet to geta ccess to US Netflix.

I use unblock-us, it's not a vpn, it's a simple way to redirect your traffic. US version Netflix is just one of the sites you can use it with, BBCi, itv players and many more US only sites too.
    A few euro per month, so worth it.

I'm in a beta now that let's you pick and choose sites to add to your profile for granular control over the version of websites you want to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

When the developer sdk kit is released is it likely that the connection problems people are having with routers will be fixed?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

As I said I researched the product when it was originally released when you could use allcast to stream your local media.
    When I realised my friend was coming home from the states I rushed in and asked him to get me one, not knowing Google had released an "update" to block this feature.
    Glad my comment was hilarious though. Really love Cheering up fandroids who don't have the time to read original posts properly.

When you could use a hack to stream your local media.

It did not say on the tin that the chromecast streams local media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The time is an hour ahead on mine anyone else have the same issue and come across a way to change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The time is an hour ahead on mine anyone else have the same issue and come across a way to change it?

You can change it on the set up screen on the phone or laptop. Go to the chromecast app on the phone. When it finds it click it and you should be able to make changes to it. i.e. Update the name and time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Invites went out today for a Google event on the 24th of October. While it's likely to be a new version of android and a new Nexus 5 I'd love if they made the chromecast SDK public and announced a few extra supported apps as a bonus to the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Mine arrived on Tuesday, at exactly the same time as I was leaving my office to go to the airport, so I've only just had the chance to set it up now.

Hardest part was remembering my wifi password! Very simple to use...

Watching Stewart Lee on it now! Very pleased. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Has anyone set it up successfully on UPC Horizon? How did you do it?

Three hours trying to work it out at this stage.

It can't see the wireless network.

Just got no idea what to do at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Has anyone set it up successfully on UPC Horizon? How did you do it?

Three hours trying to work it out at this stage.

It can't see the wireless network.

Just got no idea what to do at this stage!

Hmm trying turning broadband on and off again and it worked. Not sure whether to be happy or sad about this :))

Hmm trying turning broadband on and off again and it worked. Not sure whether to be happy or sad about this :))

If only it was so simple with upcs Thomson router. Think I'll have to get a separate router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Chromecast official google apps are now available on both Android and iOS in Ireland along with other countries, not just the US, so you don't need to side load them to set up your new chromecast device. Hopefully this is the build up to the public release of the chromecast API and a wider retail release for the device on the run up to Christmas.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app

I think that seeing the chromecast app available in the irish play store is a good pointer to what's coming in the google play store event on the 22nd Oct.

Dare I say we are getting hardware! Why would they let us get the software app if they didn't intend on selling it here?

Oh Nexus 5, bring it on Google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I wonder if the chromecast will support XMBC and enable plugins to be sideloaded to play content from streaming sites? Or would I be better off just getting a raspberry pi to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

god's toy wrote: »
    I think that seeing the chromecast app available in the irish play store is a good pointer to what's coming in the google play store event on the 22nd Oct.

Dare I say we are getting hardware! Why would they let us get the software app if they didn't intend on selling it here?

Oh Nexus 5, bring it on Google!

Not sure they'd have a big press event in America to announce that other parts of the world are getting what America already has. Think you might be reading too much into that. I think it's more likely they know what happened with Amazon (and were probably consulted before Amazon made the decision to honour the orders) and decided to make the app available to discourage people from getting into the habit of side loading.

Nolimits wrote: »
    ... Think you might be reading too much into that.

Lol, I call it 'Living in hope'!

Would be cool to just get the chromacast if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

keith16 wrote: »
    I wonder if the chromecast will support XMBC and enable plugins to be sideloaded to play content from streaming sites? Or would I be better off just getting a raspberry pi to do this?

Any quad core android dongle with 2GBs of RAM is perfect for that, chromecast doesn't run Android, and the tabbed browser from the laptop is fairly choppy as its in beta, I havent any experience with raspberry pi xbmc personally but with the small amount of ram there it may not be the best, I'm open to correction though... :)

I played with a fair few different android dongle's with xbmc at this stage and once its quad core with 2GB of Ram its good to go imo....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Can we get this Chromecast anywhere now? I understand from the posts, amazon sold to irish customers in error. Someone mentioned ebay, I just wondered if it was the same device?

Can we get this Chromecast anywhere now? I understand from the posts, amazon sold to irish customers in error. Someone mentioned ebay, I just wondered if it was the same device?

Yep, the chromecast on Amazon is the same chromecast on eBay.
    Google have opened up the app for use outside the US but devices are still not being sold over here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Savahu

Telchak wrote: »
    Anybody having any issues with UPC's Cisco EPC3925 modem?

Have the Chromecast set up with my phone and all, and it connected to the network without any problems. I can cast from the phone and laptop no problem, but my desktop PC can't find the device. It's connected to the modem via Ethernet (over some Homeplugs along the way).
    I have the same problem here in the Netherlands.
    Can't get a PC with only wired ethernet to find the Chromecast with the Google Cast addon..
    I have the same modem, a (Ziggo) Cisco EPC3925

I've already tried to switch the 'IGMP proxy' and the 'UPNP' options on and off..
    Let me know when you get it working.. :)

By the way I am able to access the Chromecast using it's IP and port 8008 in the browser on the PC.
    So some manual connect option for the addon should fix it too..
    Try http://IP.NUMBER.HERE:8008/ssdp/device-desc.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just tested out the Chromecast with Netflix. Works absolutely perfectly! Streams as well on the tv as it does on the tablet or mobile. Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Just got the Chromecast up and running. I was a bit worried it wouldn't work as I've read about some issues with UPC Thomson routers. I tried setting it up last night for my Dad with my laptop and it wouldn't join our wifi so I thought it was the router issue. I tried it again earlier on and set it up on my phone and it connected without a problem. Don't know why it worked on my phone and not my laptop.

We're happy out with it anyway. I got it for my Dad because he was trying to use my sister's battered old Wii with controllers that barely worked to watch Netflix. Trying to use the Wii to watch Netflix was driving him mad, you'd be messing around with the Wii controller for 20 minutes before you could even watch anything. He finds it easy to use and he can take the Chromecast up to the tv in his room as well so he's delighted.

Does anyone know whether people in America are having the same problems with various routers. Is it likely we'll ever see an update that'll fix the upc router issue is what I'm really wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone having trouble getting Netflix working?
    YouTube loads up perfectly but keep getting an error message with Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No hassle here via N4 & N7....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

What's the error message? Is it on the chromecast itself or your mobile device/laptop/whatever?

• Advertisement

Yep as an unblock -us user, it errors out at times but only if the content is on the US version of Netflix.

example:, Dr who works fine on my Chromecast as that is available on Netflix uk/Ireland but Star Trek DS9 on Netflix US will error every time if pushed to the chromecast but still play fine on tablets/pc/phone.

Advertisement