Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options
  • 08-10-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

The Google Chromecast streaming device is now available in Ireland.

You can purchase the Chromecast on Amazon.com now and it ships to Ireland

This is the cost for one but I just purchased two for 76 euro.
    Items: EUR 26,79
    Shipping & handling: EUR 6,88
    Total before tax: EUR 33,67
    Estimated tax to be collected: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit EUR 7,75
    Order total: EUR 41,42

Estimated delivery: Oct. 22, 2013 - Oct. 30, 2013

Mod Note: Given the nature of Chromecast, it is inevitable that discussion on streaming of illegally obtained movies/shows would appear in this thread. Rather than waste my time deleting/editing such posts and infracting people, I want to make it clear that this is strictly against forum, and indeed Boards, rules and from this moment on any further references to apps that are used for the download or streaming of pirated of illegal content will result in an immediate and permanent ban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can also get:

Nexus 4
    Nexus 7 2013, the 32Gb version comes in at 250 or so including customs

All in all not a bad development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

40 odd euro for one is a great price, seeing as the Import Duty fees are covered. It'll make a great Netflix streaming device for the TV, and can only get better over time with added support by more Apps.

Would still like to see Chrome support through Android and iOS. Seems to be the most obvious lacking feature at the moment, seeing as Netflix and YouTube have been granted support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I think (hope) it's only a matter of time before Chrome gets support on iOS and Android. The SKD for developers should be out soon too and as soon as that happens I'm hoping for a lot of other apps to support Chromecast with the exception of RTE Player apps which will probably get support around 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dudda wrote: »
    with the exception of RTE Player apps which will probably get support around 2018.

And still be absolutely cack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Did I hear that Google were blocking 3rd party apps on this? If so, what apps do you get out of the box?

• Advertisement

I've yet to have a decent experience of the RTE Player on the TV. Even UPC's implementation of the Player through their set-top boxes was just about watchable, and that's when UPC were granted access to a higher quality stream rather than pulling it from the Web (from what I can remember). Maybe it has improved since.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Did I hear that Google were blocking 3rd party apps on this? If so, what apps do you get out of the box?

YouTube and Netflix available on both iOS and Android, and Google Movies and Music only available on Android. Hulu Plus is being added soon apparently. And Chrome support through Windows/Mac.

Google are very much for 3rd Party support as far as I'm aware. Pretty much how the operate with all their devices actually.

One guy ad XDA created an app that uses a security vulnerability to enable local media playback. Google patched that update in a security bugfix and the developer created a lot of noise when his app broke. Nothing to do with blocking 3rd party apps. The SKD developers are using is in Beta so they can't release apps yet so they are kinda blocked too but once it's out of beta they can release their apps. Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Google Music and Movies are the official ones currently but lots more companies said they are working on support. The SKD is in beta since May so it has to be finished soon which will result in a lot more. Google failed with Google TV and the Nexus Q so I can see why they are taking their time with this as they want to get it right this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does this mean Amazon pay the tax on importing it? So I can get it delivered to parcel motel without the threat of them rejecting it due to outstanding taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just grabbed one of these! Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

• Advertisement

Thanks OP, got a ps3,xbox360 and nowtv box beside my tv that all can stream movies but I still went and bought one!
    Does this mean Amazon pay the tax on importing it? So I can get it delivered to parcel motel without the threat of them rejecting it due to outstanding taxes?

Just get it delivered to your home address, it'll cost less as you won't have to pay motel charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just get it delivered to your home address, it'll cost less as you won't have to pay motel charge.

Never anyone there to pick up a parcel so the parcel motel works out handier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ordered :)

Never anyone there to pick up a parcel so the parcel motel works out handier for me.

Shouldn't be any problem with delivery to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Oh for the love of God, I just jumped through hoops to get one and now amazon are selling? Grrr.
    Still, mine only worked out 8 more so it's fine.
    Be interesting to see if Customs add anything on to the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Ordered mine, 40 is nothing for a streaming device :)

Won't get it till Oct 22-30 though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Once they add in Chrome support I'm sure there will then be some sort of way to stream local media to Chrome? That should get around the block the issued with the last update but the quality may suffer.....what do you guys think!? Streaming of local media would be a BIG thing for me IMA!!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

madmoe wrote: »
    Once they add in Chrome support I'm sure there will then be some sort of way to stream local media to Chrome? That should get around the block the issued with the last update but the quality may suffer.....what do you guys think!? Streaming of local media would be a BIG thing for me IMA!!

Cheers,
    M

Chrome browser works on chromecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

madmoe wrote: »

Cheers,
    M

Chrome browser works on chromecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'd rather just pay an extra few euro and get an mini android pc dongle instead..

Similar priced with shed load more functionality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

which one would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

got mine last week and it's working great. very simple to use which is a bonus for my other half. it has taken over from my xbox 360 as the device of choice for netflix streaming (xbox was quite loud at times).

only problem is I ran out of HDMI ports so the spare cable for attaching laptop to TV had to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Would it be possible to use sky go with one of these? gf has no channels in her room and this could be handy

Would it be possible to use sky go with one of these? gf has no channels in her room and this could be handy
    I'd love if it did but very unlikely. Sky have their system locked down and want you to pay more for any extras like this. They'd want you to pay for multiroom if you want to watch it on a TV in another room of the same house or use a tablet for SkyGo in another house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ah feck, I can watch it on my laptop and my tv through my xbox and her parents have sky sdo was hoping it was possible! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 littlemissfraze

Is this still working for anyone? I just tried it and got the usual "can't be shipped to your address" message!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Do you need to use your android phone or tablet as a remote to work it?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

£59.99 on Amazon.co.uk.... taught we were the only ones who used to get ripped off ..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 littlemissfraze

Do you need to use your android phone or tablet as a remote to work it?

You can use a laptop/macbook. Or an iphone afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

You can use a laptop/macbook. Or an iphone afaik
    Big remotes! Yikes.. You can cast a webpage from chrome browser on those.. Not from an iPhone .. think Koushik did some work with iOS but these have been closed off so it's pretty much locked down for now until app support it such as Hulu just released

Advertisement