Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I've my router setup to trick the Chromecast via Unblock-us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I've my router setup to trick the Chromecast via Unblock-us.

Hi, but just checking their site, they say they don't officially support Chromecast?

here
    We've had lots of you asking about the new Chromecast by Google. Sadly, there is no way to change the DNS on the Chromcast so we cannot support it. This is because the Chromecast has Google's DNS hardcoded in the device. This means that the Chromecast will communicate with Googles DNS servers even if you have setup your router with our DNS.

The only way you will be able to use the Chromecast with our service is if you make some additional changes to your router. However, not all router have the functionality to do this.
    Your router will need to be either DD-WRT compatible or be running Tomato Firmware.

You may find instructions on how to do this on our public forum, but if you choose to do this we cannot offer support.

So, did you get the trick from their forum??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

corkie wrote: »
    Is this the x-plane your referring to?

Are you using a bluetooth controller with your device for that?

Yes, that's it. I just use my phone as the controller. You should see my 3yo daughter landing Cessnas on this. She's gifted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Hi, but just checking their site, they say they don't officially support Chromecast?

here

So, did you get the trick from their forum??

Yep i used the static routes method that a few people here mentioned.

Deffo works using my tp-link router. Use US netflix and BBC iplayer on the chromecast all the time.

Yep i used the static routes method that a few people here mentioned.

Deffo works using my tp-link router. Use US netflix and BBC iplayer on the chromecast all the time.

Thanks Ayatolla and murphaph....

Got it working, US Netflix....

The static routes set-up works on the ould eircom netopia router too, I'll post two pics, which might help others puzzled by this.

The only snag I had was after doing this, the Netflix App on my Nexus 7 [2013] gave a curious error code 12001, which was a streaming error related to the changes made.

I was using a static IP and the Smart DNS on my Android, but changed back to DHCP, allowing the IP and DNS to be got from the Router I now had the Smarty DNS settings in.

So, first, I had to renew my IP in the Smarty DNS settings web-site from the Nexus.

Next, Clear Data in the Netflix App settings, and then power cycle the Nexus.

You will need to sign in to Netflix again, but there should be streaming OK after that.

So, here are the pics of what I did in the netopia [eircom] router I use for my Vodafone Home BB :)

Screenshot%202014-07-15%2001.14.38.jpg

Smarty DNS settings

Screenshot%202014-07-15%2001.11.13.jpg

Static Route Settings for Google DNS re-direct

This should be done for both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Google Chromecast available for €39 (€42 delivered) via Google Play Ireland now
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I’ve asked RTE Player for Chromecast Support several times for almost a year (I’ve had two chromecasts since last September). When I brought it to their attention that it was officially available now in Ireland, while they didn’t confirm they were adding support, they didn’t say no like they usually do and instead said will get back to me soon. Every other time it was a straight no reply. Finally sounds promising.

Edit:
    I know you can now mirror but native support will always be superior and less of a battery drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I quickly tried mirroring RTE and I got no sound. Didn't bother again after that. Might just wait and see if Dudda is right and native support is on the way (that would be really cool).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I assume it doesn't work but has anyone tried mirroring their phone with Sky Go running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I assume it doesn't work but has anyone tried mirroring their phone with Sky Go running?

Sky go doesn't allow miracast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

murphaph wrote: »
    I quickly tried mirroring RTE and I got no sound. Didn't bother again after that. Might just wait and see if Dudda is right and native support is on the way (that would be really cool).

The sound worked fine for me and it was watchable but native support would be far better and more reliable.
    I get a warning message saying SkyGo doesn't support miracast too when I try to cast the screen to my Chromecast. It's the only app I have that does this which is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dudda wrote: »
    The sound worked fine for me and it was watchable but native support would be far better and more reliable.

I get a warning message saying SkyGo doesn't support miracast too when I try to cast the screen to my Chromecast. It's the only app I have that does this which is a pain in the ass.

sky dont want you doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Can you mirror from a tablet or does it have to be a desktop/laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Can you mirror from a tablet or does it have to be a desktop/laptop

It depends on the type of tablet. If you're using a Nexus tablet you can, and I think some Samsungs as well. In the pull down menu, there would be a cast screen option

Google Chromecast available for €39 (€42 delivered) via Google Play Ireland now
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

Cheaper on Amazon, free delivery....

£30.75 /€38.88

Actually slightly less now, £30/€37.94

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I4WQ618/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_zD5Xtb1G5XN7P6YA?ie=UTF8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just after getting one and love it so far.
    Had trouble with FLV file and transcoding it????? Unsure really.

Playing files on my device other than that though. Showbox is my next task.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

It works great with Showbox. You need to use an external player that has Chromecast support though (I've used AllCast since I got mine and it works great).

Shhhhhh!!!

Bubble UPnP works great, free version is fine!!

It does lots more too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp

Picked one up in PC World yesterday - they said they are selling well - people like myself coming in asking for them.

Will give it a go tonight / over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Didn't see it mentioned, but the Synology NAS apps (DS Audio and DS Video) both support Chromecast. So wherever you happen to be (with your phone + Chromecast), you can log into your NAS at home (using DS Video/Audio) and cast the movie/video/audio to the Chromecast. Tested with a few different video formats and it worked really well. I'm well impressed. Going on holidays soon and the plan is to bring a Pico projector and Chromecast and stream from the NAS at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Didn't see it mentioned, but the Synology NAS apps (DS Audio and DS Video) both support Chromecast. So wherever you happen to be (with your phone + Chromecast), you can log into your NAS at home (using DS Video/Audio) and cast the movie/video/audio to the Chromecast. Tested with a few different video formats and it worked really well. I'm well impressed. Going on holidays soon and the plan is to bring a Pico projector and Chromecast and stream from the NAS at home.

Also supports subtitles too which is a huge plus. Worked flawlessly for me anytime I've streamed from my NAS but I've only tried over my local network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Mod Note: Given the nature of Chromecast, it is inevitable that discussion on streaming of illegally obtained movies/shows would appear in this thread. Rather than waste my time deleting/editing such posts and infracting people, I want to make it clear that this is strictly against forum, and indeed Boards, rules and from this moment on any further references to apps that are used for the download or streaming of pirated of illegal content will result in an immediate and permanent ban. This message has been copied to post #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Ok guys apologies in advance for a couple of banal queries & questions. I'm on a woefully bad broadband line - 0.5Mb download so I know any of the streaming services are out of the question but will the Chromecast dongle still function on my home network to stream from files my laptop or phone, e.g. pictures & music? Also will apps on my phone appear on the Chromecast (I don't mean just Google's own apps like YouTube & Play Store but also Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Picasa & Flickr. I've seen that, from the Chrome browser if I search C:// all my folders will show in the browser which I think can be mirrored with the Chromecast extension, is this correct? I'm totally green on these issues & I know my broadband speed is a joke but is the Chromecast dongle worth it for a home networking device (if that's how one could describe it):confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Ok guys apologies in advance for a couple of banal queries & questions. I'm on a woefully bad broadband line - 0.5Mb download so I know any of the streaming services are out of the question but will the Chromecast dongle still function on my home network to stream from files my laptop or phone, e.g. pictures & music? Also will apps on my phone appear on the Chromecast (I don't mean just Google's own apps like YouTube & Play Store but also Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Picasa & Flickr. I've seen that, from the Chrome browser if I search C:// all my folders will show in the browser which I think can be mirrored with the Chromecast extension, is this correct? I'm totally green on these issues & I know my broadband speed is a joke but is the Chromecast dongle worth it for a home networking device (if that's how one could describe it):confused::o

No apps are loaded on the Chromecast Device, only supported apps on your device can cast content . (not a complete list! Are you android or iOS?)

With the chrome extension you can cast tabs from your browser (so what ever will display in chrome will show on the chromecast) or you can mirror your desktop.

Plenty of apps to cast local content from android (not as much for iOS)

If you have local video files, a great extension for chrome is videostream

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement