Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I am heading to NYC in December & plan on picking a few of these up for family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I'd say it was a mistake by Amazon...

From the FAQ:
    Can I bring Chromecast with me to another country?
    Chromecast is only supported in the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

You can buy it via a third party seller, and still have it shipped by Amazon for €50.60 inclusive of estimated import tax. Its not as sweet a deal as €41 but it still beats coming from UK.

I just purchased this morning and received confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I have a widi adapter at home. This is even better if you happen to have a newer ultrabook with Intel Widi technology.
    It will wirelessly send anything from your laptop to your TV. So it's wireless HDMI.
    Advantage: no restrictions to what can be shown on tv
    Disadvantage: not many laptops have widi capability

Does the laptop handover to the adapter like chromecast, or do you need to leave the laptop powered on and connected while the media is playing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Gryzor wrote: »
    Does the laptop handover to the adapter like chromecast, or do you need to leave the laptop powered on and connected while the media is playing??

It depends. If you are streaming youtube or a website from chrome then you can turn the laptop off. If you have a movie on your computer and you are casting it through google chrome to your TV then you have to leave it on. I think that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Got my shipping confirmation email this morning as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

ddubs wrote: »
    You can buy it via a third party seller, and still have it shipped by Amazon for €50.60 inclusive of estimated import tax. Its not as sweet a deal as €41 but it still beats coming from UK.

I just purchased this morning and received confirmation

Just wondering,what was the name of the seller you used? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Anyone getting it delivered who has Google Now, check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nolimits wrote: »

Yeah I saw that. Cool eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Any chance you could explain this further please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Any chance you could explain this further please?

Google now just shows a card with a pic of the chromecast and says shipped with the option of going to the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Google now just shows a card with a pic of the chromecast and says shipped with the option of going to the email.

How do you get it to show?

Don't see it either??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

How do you get it to show?

I didn't have to do anything, and the just read it from my emails. Unless of course you've told Google now that it's not allowed to read your emails.

Here's a screen shot I took yesterday
    D4VgIEh.png

Gryzor wrote: »
    Don't see it either??

It will only show if:
    • You have Google Now Enabled
    • Google Now has access to gmail
    • You ordered the chromecast via Amazon
    • You used your gmail email address when ordering / registering with Amazon
    • Amazon has sent you an email confirmation saying it has shipped

Mine shipped this morning so I can see it too. Don't worry your not missing that much.

I didn't have to do anything, and the just read it from my emails. Unless of course you've told Google now that it's not allowed to read your emails.

Here's a screen shot I took yesterday
    http://i.imgur.com/D4VgIEh.png

It's not near as excighting looking on an iPhone

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw7m788xjupth7w/2013-10-10%2010.17.57.png

All conditions met as above. Doesn't work on Android phone or iPad...Only thing is I didn't have Google Now enabled when the confirmation email came to me, maybe that's it??

Just received this email:

We're writing about #109-9015621-0 for Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player. We recently learned of an error that allowed this item to be available to ship to international addresses. Unfortunately, this item is not currently intended for use outside of the United States. Outside of the United States, all of the functionality of this item may not be available and the manufacturer's warranty is void. We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

You don't need to take any action if you still want to receive the item. If your order hasn’t shipped yet, you can cancel it by going to Your Account and clicking the "Your Orders" button: ......

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Just got this...
    Hello,

We're writing about #[order number] for Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player. We recently learned of an error that allowed this item to be available to ship to international addresses. Unfortunately, this item is not currently intended for use outside of the United States. Outside of the United States, all of the functionality of this item may not be available and the manufacturer's warranty is void. We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

You don't need to take any action if you still want to receive the item. If your order hasn’t shipped yet, you can cancel it by going to Your Account and clicking the "Your Orders" button:

http://www.amazon.com/your-account

If your order has shipped and you would like to return the item, you'll find return instructions at the link below. We'll refund you in full, including the return shipping costs.

http://www.amazon.com/returns

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,
    Customer Service Department
    Amazon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Just received an email from Amazon acknowledging that clearing international orders for the chromecast was an error. However, seems like any shipped orders are still on their way! Manufacturer's warranty is void though...

Edit: I'm way too slow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah I got the same email.

Elsewhere on boards people are saying that its worked fine so hopefully no issues

Got the same email. My two shipped already and I intend keeping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just got the same email, hasnt been shipped yet, wont be touching my order so it should hopefully still come and work fine

Yeah not many people saying they can't get it to work. Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I got the email on my phone and only read the first bit.
    We recently learned of an error that allowed this item to be available to ship to international addresses. Unfortunately, this item ...

I got really pissed because i thought they were saying its cancelled heres a refund. But after reading it , still looks like its on its way :D

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I got the email on my phone and only read the first bit.

I got really pissed because i thought they were saying its cancelled heres a refund. But after reading it , still looks like its on its way :D

I was the same, even though they said it'd be shipped. Happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I installed it the other day from that link, it's fine, all I need is a chromecast now... :P

Just got this email :D
    Please be advised that your Amazon parcel(s) has arrived in Ireland, and will be delivered by Fastway Couriers within the next 1 to 3 working days excluding bank holidays.

You can track the progress of your parcel online www.fastway.ie by entering the tracking number quoted above.

Hopefully have it by tomorrow, Much quicker than i expected

• Advertisement

Just got this email :D

Hopefully have it by tomorrow, Much quicker than i expected

Me too :-)

Advertisement