Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 5 [US] **Spoilers!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well I disagree, I think it did make him a bad character when they seldom wrote much beyond "Pierce is horrible and/or racist towards everyone". Jeff was egotistical, selfish and a bit of a dick with the group but he was allowed to develop and show empathy towards others. All throughout, Pierce was just Pierce. Honestly, it's no wonder Chevy Chase was so tetchy on set when he would come to work and find he had nothing to work with from the script.

I think Pierce was actually a very well developed character, clearly very insecure. The relationship he had with his parents (in particular his father) is explored (rare for a character of his age) and perfectly justifies his insecurities. His speech at the end of Season 2 where he explains why he drives people away, because he feels they'll push him away anyway was very touching. Even at the end of D&D there's a moment with Fat Neil which was referenced this when FN paid tribute "You were a great D&D player". I think the fact that they made him such a dick for season 2 and yet have such a heartfelt send off where his final words to the group were genuinely moving sincere while still maintaining Pierce's insensitivities is a truly magnificent feat of character development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't deny that he had his moments, I just think charting the trajectory of the character Pierce was one of the more overtly two-dimensional - at best. No more so than the Gas Leak Season when he literally had one or two crotchety lines & that was it :) (even if we're conveniently now ignoring that one haha).

Anywhoo, agree to disagree n' all that. Let's get back to the so-far flawless Season 5. I honestly had my doubts about it given how it's always tricky to go back for a second try, but fair play to Harmon, he & his team seem to rejuvenated the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

FunLover18 wrote: »
    4 weeks ago on NBC :D

I wish I had 5 new episodes to binge on, you lucky bastard

:) what number channel on sky is it and when is it on??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

pixelburp wrote: »
    Pierce seemed like a difficult character to write; he was ostensibly the group's bad guy so he had to be the cause of conflict, but over time it became increasingly difficult to see why they hung out with him. I think the Dungeons and Dragons episode really sank Pierce as a character for me - he was so irredeemably horrible in that.

I would imagine that a lot of Chase's ructions with Harmon were over how his character was written

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Loved the way professor Duncan reacted when he was knocked out

"this is why England never wins at sports, because everybody else cheats"

Storming of like a wee child, brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    :) what number channel on sky is it and when is it on??

You won't find it on sky, you'll have to obtain it by other means.

Actually, is it on *any* UK or Irish channel?

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Actually, is it on *any* UK or Irish channel?

Sony Entertainment Channel (157 on Sky) airs episodes sometimes. Haven't seen them lately but they showed all of season 4 sometime not too long ago. Eventually they'll show season 5 too. Probably in about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

You won't find it on sky, you'll have to obtain it by other means.

mediahint extension is your friend here ;)

Sony Entertainment Channel (157 on Sky) airs episodes sometimes. Haven't seen them lately but they showed all of season 4 sometime not too long ago. Eventually they'll show season 5 too. Probably in about a year.

It won't be that long, 4 only aired a few months after. I'd say they'll show 5 around May

• Advertisement

Tim Saccardo #communitywriter was tweeting some fairly awesome behind-the-scenes pics from Geothermal Escapism. I think the 'hot lava moves' is probably my favourite, I would love to be in that writing room

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/behind-the-scenes-pictures-from-troys-last-community-episode.html

**** it, I couldn't resist

BewyOshCEAA3AhF.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

A quite lovely Troy and Abed scene that got cut at the end of this (from 3:57):

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

"Troy and Abed in a bubble!"
    :pac:

Why did they cut that?! :eek:

It was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Great send off for Troy. Abed's goodbye in describing how he had homing pigeon DNA in Troy's clone left me thinking if I had accidentally listened to "Come Sail Away" by Styx again.

Chang saying Nathan Fillion made me wonder, is he due to appear this season?
    yep, he's due to make an appearance. the same episode will also see the return of brie larson which is great news too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That was just brilliant.

Britta is quickly becoming the best character in the show again! Her knock knock exchange with Jeff was great. The episode was a fantastic send off for Troy too, I loved his little bit with LeVar at the end. Why didn't they call it planet trek?

Everyone is just being used so well this season, as opposed to last season where people were just paired off or ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

With the utmost respect to what Harmon has done so far this season, I think it's unfair to toss so much blame at gas leak year. Harmon was in charge for Season 3 and that was the season with the Dreamatorium and Emperor Chang. He was partially responsible for how poor the show went even before he was removed from it. I'm just glad he's reigning in his own stuff and bringing the show back to where it was in the first two seasons.

With the utmost respect to what Harmon has done so far this season, I think it's unfair to toss so much blame at gas leak year. Harmon was in charge for Season 3 and that was the season with the Dreamatorium and Emperor Chang. He was partially responsible for how poor the show went even before he was removed from it. I'm just glad he's reigning in his own stuff and bringing the show back to where it was in the first two seasons.

I loved the madness of season 3 but I agree that there was no way they could have sustained it. I actually didn't hate season 4, the writing staff was largely the same they just lacked direction but it was far from a car crash for me. The Halloween episode I particularly enjoyed and the body swap episode was very good. Anyway, we wouldn't have season 5 without the gas leak year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I see what you're saying and agree that season 3 went a bit too wacky towards the end (although I loved that) but for me Season 4 was where the characterization just went totally off the boil. The group dynamic became practically non-existent for the majority of the season, with people being paired off into side stories that had no bearing on each other.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    I see what you're saying and agree that season 3 went a bit too wacky towards the end (although I loved that) but for me Season 4 was where the characterization just went totally off the boil. The group dynamic became practically non-existent for the majority of the season, with people being paired off into side stories that had no bearing on each other.

Are you referring to Troy and Britta? I actually think they handled it the best they could given the circumstances. It didn't come out of nowhere as it was clearly set up in season 3, however the writing staff had no idea what Harmon would have done next, what could they have done? Ignored it? I think in the first episode Jeff's reaction is something along the lines of "So this is a thing" which pretty much sums up the writers attitude. They never really made a big deal out of it, there was no drama like you usually get with sitcom romances.

I was reading the reddit AMA the writers did before season 4 aired and they were asked what was going to happen with Jeff and Annie and they basically said that they had no idea what to do because these were Harmon's characters and only he really knew where they were supposed to go. Supposedly, the writers room was completely split on how to treat it. It's a really interesting AMA to read actually, they couldn't even do a proper finale because it might be renewed and a lot of the staff had never worked on a 13 episode series before. Megan Ganz was very honest, she wrote the season 4 finale and she was very unhappy with it ... actually I'll go find the link because it really is a very interesting read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/community/comments/181irk/we_are_the_writing_staff_of_nbcs_community_ama/

Really enjoyed that, once again it's an episode of Community that's not all that loud out loud funny but it had its share of great lines and managed to be rather touching.

It does seem that the writers plan on bringing Troy back at some stage. I can see him popping up again in the next series though it's going to be interesting to see how Abed evolves as a character without Troy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Really enjoyed that, once again it's an episode of Community that's not all that loud out loud funny but it had its share of great lines and managed to be rather touching.

It does seem that the writers plan on bringing Troy back at some stage. I can see him popping up again in the next series though it's going to be interesting to see how Abed evolves as a character without Troy.

I can't really see Donald coming back again, unless it's for the movie, maybe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

504? Are they showing them out of order again or did they just insert one episode before this one?

ETA: I tried to post this three times from the phone and each time I got "Error 503".
    Does boards know something about the episode sequencing?

504? Are they showing them out of order again or did they just insert one episode before this one?

ETA: I tried to post this three times from the phone and each time I got "Error 503".
    Does boards know something about the episode sequencing?

Not out of order because this was Troy's last episode and he was set to be in 5. I think it's because the first two episodes were shown together

Filmed out of order, but they're being shown the right way.

alroley wrote: »
    I can't really see Donald coming back again, unless it's for the movie, maybe.

I can see him popping up a year from now unless they decide to kill him off. It may only be for one episode but it would make sense for his trip to end where it began. If his upcoming show doesn't get a second series we may see him back sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I can see him popping up a year from now unless they decide to kill him off. It may only be for one episode but it would make sense for his trip to end where it began. If his upcoming show doesn't get a second series we may see him back sooner.

Upcoming show? He's leaving to focus on Childish Gambino I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Upcoming show? He's leaving to focus on Childish Gambino I thought.
    He's writing and starring in a new show for FX alright..
    .. according to an article on Deadline that reveals Glover’s next major project – his own TV show. Atlanta will be a semi-autobiographical comedy based around Glover’s own experiences growing up in Atlanta, and will be set against the backdrop of the city’s music scene. The pitch was courted by several different networks, including NBC, but Atlanta eventually went to FX since the network offered Glover the flexibility he’d need to accommodate music tours into the schedule.

Glover will write, executive produce and star in Atlanta, though the actual name of the show may still be subject to change.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »

MrGeneHongwriter

I like writing for Magnitude. I'm really good at writing the first "pop" but can't seem to get a handle on the second one. Ganz usually helps me.

;)

Advertisement