Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 5 [US] **Spoilers!!**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

That was the funniest Bottle episode of any TV show Ive seen since Friends did their The One Where No One's Ready and is easily my favourite of season 5 so far.

Walter Goggins didnt disappoint (until arguably the end credits), there were one liners that made me laugh out loud (like Chang's
    "I didn't just masturbate in the Study-Room. I masturbated *evvverywhere*
    :D) and we got a great reason for Troy's departure (Abhed is going to have a proper meltdown next week).

This was the Community I know and love. A great episode.

PS: is Donald Glover leaving for good? Has he said why? I know he's said its not because of his buoying musical career. He is, for me, the best thing about the show

Troy-Community-Emotions.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    PS: is Donald Glover leaving for good? Has he said why? I know he's said its not because of his buoying musical career. He is, for me, the best thing about the show

Troy-Community-Emotions.gif

Personal issues. He may come back in season 6 or the movie. Probably definitely the movie.

Personal issues. He may come back in season 6 or the movie. Probably definitely the movie.

I did read his Twitter meltdown, poor lad

Donald-Glover-467-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

I don't feel right after reading that. Hope he gets the help he needs

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

That was a lovely episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

He's also producing a new show on FX, and there's also his rap career, which he said wasn't the reason for leaving, but trying to manage it with two tv shows might have been a little overwhelming.

If there is one thing that Community does well, it is those bottle episodes. The Purple Pen one was absolutely excellent too. It felt like it was a really satisfying conclusion to Pierce's story; sappy but keeping a lot of the character still there. It was a beautiful episode, I thought; sure it wasn't as knowing or as referential as other episodes this season, but some of the best episodes in the past were ones that weren't either.

There were some excellent nods too.. the boat that Troy has to sail on is the Childish Tycoon - Donald Glover's rapper name is the Childish Gambino. If I'm right, Glover mentioned at some point how he was leaving Community to focus on his rap. Perhaps Childish Gambino is Glover's way of exploring himself and becoming a bigger man.

Walter Goggins' speech at the end could reflect how he feels about the character he portrayed in things like the Shield and Justified; both are pretty intense characters with a lot going on, whereas he is actually the person he was at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I seem to really be in the minority, but I didn't think it was that great :(
    I did love the ipod nano bit, but the rest was kind of meh.

I might need to rewatch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Britta got her used ipod :D

It wasn't as good as last week's but it was still pretty great, Shirley in particular had a few great lines.

Chang taking off the polygraph and leaving had me in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I thought it was great as well. Some absolutely great lines and touching at times as well (the tiara), I was so glad they brought that back. Really good end to Pierce that didn't feel overly sentimental.

I thought the end credits bit was brilliant, so clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That was great. Community at its best.
    Consistently funny the entire way through, plenty of running jokes from the earlier seasons, we get a conclusion to Pierce's story, and a more than satisfactory reason behind Troy's departure.

Agreed. That episode was hopefully the closure episode and we can put the last season behind us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭BlurstMonkey

Is it me or did Britta get hotter? :pac:
    It was good, not as good as last week but then it's going to be tough following that one. I like that Chang is back to actually being Chang instead of his character from The Hangover.

Is it me or did Britta get hotter? :pac:
    It was good, not as good as last week but then it's going to be tough following that one. I like that Chang is back to actually being Chang instead of his character from The Hangover.

In the first season I was like "why does Jeff want to bang her?"

Now I'm like "why would Jeff stop banging her?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Shirley's "judgemental bitch" line was brilliant.

alroley wrote: »
    I seem to really be in the minority, but I didn't think it was that great :(
    I did love the ipod nano bit, but the rest was kind of meh.

I might need to rewatch it.

1016372_10152160430428184_79170139_n.png

FunLover18 wrote: »
    In the first season I was like "why does Jeff want to bang her?"

Now I'm like "why would Jeff stop banging her?"

One word: Annie

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

UniformGleamingChickadee.gif

Me too Troy... me too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was a really excellent episode - it's four for four at this stage & I'm so happy this show is back to its best. So many great lines - Chang's moment had me in tears - and Walton Goggins did a great turn as the executor. It was also a perfectly balanced goodbye to Pierce; sentimental but at the same time, very him.

So: am I right in thinking Annie's admission that she spiked everyone's coffee was another dig at season 4 and how differently they all behaved?

pixelburp wrote: »
    That was a really excellent episode - it's four for four at this stage & I'm so happy this show is back to its best. So many great lines - Chang's moment had me in tears - and Walton Goggins did a great turn as the executor. It was also a perfectly balanced goodbye to Pierce; sentimental but at the same time, very him.

So: am I right in thinking Annie's admission that she spiked everyone's coffee was another dig at season 4 and how differently they all behaved?

If so, it went completely over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That was great..

.. it takes very strong writing to make an entite episode in the same room consistently funny, and it managed it in spades.

Welcome back Dan Harmon.. you have been missed!

• Advertisement

One word: Annie

Im sorry, but you've planted the seed.

I now have no choice in the matter

Alison-brie-skirt-twirl.gif

Now that's the Community I know and love. Easily the best episode of the show since series 2. A perfectly pitched and genuinely hilarious 22 minutes that managed more laughs than all of series 4 combined. It was rather beautiful and Pierce's death was wonderfully dealt with. It was a poignant and touching examination of the group and the ever changing dynamic. I hope that Pierce's death will be the catalyst that allows the show to truly examine the characters and move away from the one dimensional and cliched film referencing caricatures of the past series.

It's rare for Shirley to make me laugh but he managed it twice this episode. I still think that getting rid of Pierce was a bad mistake but it could really allow the characters to grow into the far more interesting ones we first met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

TroyCrying.gif

^ Me, when everyone was being given the stuff Pierce had left them.

What an episode. Walton Goggins was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's even funnier when you re-watch it.

"I've never been to Legoland. I just wanted you guys to think I was cool" - Troy

I'd like to see Goggins pop up a few more times this series. Banks has obviously been brought in to fill Chase's position and with Glover leaving next week there's room for someone to come in and offer something a little different. It would be nice to have a a character who can play off the others and their insecurities. Goggins character seemed to be someone desperate for recognition and a little friendly interaction. He's one of my favorite actors and rarely gets a chance to explore his lighter side. I always feel a little sorry for him considering what he went through while shooting The Shield and in particular that final scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Super episode. So many LOL moments. After the travesty of season four, it is so nice to know that when you watch an episode, you are guaranteed that there will be laughs.

For me, when Goggins announced how Pierce died, I just thought perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

One from Reddit..

"They had me in these tiny underwear things that held NOTHING in. So when I lift my leg there, that is everyone’s real reaction. Look at Allison Brie’s face. That’s real!" - Joel McHale

ucgXxBf.gif

Basq wrote: »
    One from Reddit..

"They had me in these tiny underwear things that held NOTHING in. So when I lift my leg there, that is everyone’s real reaction. Look at Allison Brie’s face. That’s real!" - Joel McHale

ucgXxBf.gif

Saw that this morning and actually thought the funniest part is that every single person reacts except Danny Pudi. I presume it was scripted that way for Abed, but I still think it's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love that! Everyone stayed in character too, there's a few extras in the back who are liking what they see :pac:

• Advertisement

That was just as funny on second viewing. Firmly in my top 5 episodes of the show's 88 so far

Advertisement