Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Raf32 wrote: »
    Jags will make the playoffs. Was thinking it before the draft but after adding all them pieces over the last two nights i really believe it.

You been hanging out with Josh Gordon recently by any chance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

HigginsJ wrote: »
    You been hanging out with Josh Gordon recently by any chance :P

Ill remember this post when the Jags are hoisting the trophy and Josh is over at my house chilling :pac:

Ill remember this post when the Jags are hoisting the trophy and Josh is over at my house chilling :pac:

I am not sure which one is less likely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

I am not sure which one is less likely ;)

Def the former

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I see Mayocks top guard Yankey got drafted 145 overall!:pac:

And my god how many picks did he spoil in advance (Bortles being the most annoying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I see Mayocks top guard Yankey got drafted 145 overall!:pac:

And my god how many picks did he spoil in advance (Bortles being the most annoying)

Yeah hated that BS. As soon as a pick was declared 'in' I muted NFL Network until commish was at the podium. They need to cop themselves on and state before next years draft that they will have the commentators i.e. Mayock, Faulk, Davis/whoever isolated from Twitter and their buddies stopped texting them/whispering in their ears.

These guys get paid for opinions, so let's hear them say X position is the need and right now were I the GM I'd be looking at Y player instead of looking like a feckin psychic and trying to look intelligent because someone has told you who the pick is!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Yeah hated that BS. As soon as a pick was declared 'in' I muted NFL Network until commish was at the podium. They need to cop themselves on and state before next years draft that they will have the commentators i.e. Mayock, Faulk, Davis/whoever isolated from Twitter and their buddies stopped texting them/whispering in their ears.

These guys get paid for opinions, so let's hear them say X position is the need and right now were I the GM I'd be looking at Y player instead of looking like a feckin psychic and trying to look intelligent because someone has told you who the pick is!!.

That's what I really liked about the ESPN coverage - Gruden would give his opinion on what he would do with the pick or where the team needs to improve rather than piss everyone off and ruin the surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

12/1 for Teddy to be Offensive Rookie of the year, tasty odds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

That's what I really liked about the ESPN coverage - Gruden would give his opinion on what he would do with the pick or where the team needs to improve rather than piss everyone off and ruin the surprise.

Gruden didn't spoil the picks because he had no idea. I presumed he thought everybody was a great football player and everybody was getting drafted No1 overall so he was probably massively confused the whole time.

I dunno how this guy won an Superbowl because his on-air personality is such an air head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Hazys wrote: »
    Gruden didn't spoil the picks because he had no idea. I presumed he thought everybody was a great football player and everybody was getting drafted No1 overall so he was probably massively confused the whole time.

I dunno how this guy won an Superbowl because his on-air personality is such an air head.

because spidermonkey-y2-banana thats why

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    because spidermonkey-y2-banana thats why

Some unseen footage of Gruden's Camp:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Given Cassel could easily start the regular season #1 not so much.

Manziel is a far better bet for a good start if you had to choose one of the rookie QBs. Dual-threat QBs usually have a honeymoon period where defences don't know how to close them down properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Id be very surprised if Teddy starts the year and ill be disappointed if he plays before week 10 or so. Cassel was good last year when they actually played him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Where you finding odds for rookies?

Syferus wrote: »
    Given Cassel could easily start the regular season #1 not so much.

Manziel is a far better bet for a good start if you had to choose one of the rookie QBs. Dual-threat QBs usually have a honeymoon period where defences don't know how to close them down properly.
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Id be very surprised if Teddy starts the year and ill be disappointed if he plays before week 10 or so. Cassel was good last year when they actually played him

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start. Zimmer has already come out and said he hopes he wins the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's the way it should be though.

He, Kiper and Lewis just giving their opinions on where the team needed to strengthen and what they would do. Sometimes they were right, sometimes they were wrong, but it made for a far more exciting night than Mayock's "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah I got this one right" bollocks and their analysis was excellent.

Gruden was a bit annoying with his constant picking of Manziel for nearly every pick, and his praising of everyone does get a bit frustrating, but he genuinely is a nice guy I think and when he does get into the analysis end of things he's one of the better ones out there.

ESPN figures were up millions on last year and I'd imagine it was mainly because of Mayock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭boccy23

Paully D wrote: »
    That's the way it should be though.

He, Kiper and Lewis just giving their opinions on where the team needed to strengthen and what they would do. Sometimes they were right, sometimes they were wrong, but it made for a far more exciting night than Mayock's "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah I got this one right" bollocks and their analysis was excellent.

Gruden was a bit annoying with his constant picking of Manziel for nearly every pick, and his praising of everyone does get a bit frustrating, but he genuinely is a nice guy I think and when he does get into the analysis end of things he's one of the better ones out there.

ESPN figures were up millions on last year and I'd imagine it was mainly because of Mayock.

Up because of Clowney and Manziel. People were interested to see where they went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Figures were up for all the networks

And highest around 9:45 EST when the Cowboys were on the clock which I suppose shouldn't be a suprise

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Figures were up for all the networks

And highest around 9:45 EST when the Cowboys were on the clock which I suppose shouldn't be a suprise

Aye. Speaking for myself, I wasn't going to miss the chance of potentially watching the Cowboys draft Manziel. Would have been pure theater.

Went to bed after that.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Up because of Clowney and Manziel. People were interested to see where they went.

Yeah, that's also true. With the talk of keeping the draft at the later date and possibly even pushing it back another two weeks, ratings were cited as one of the main reasons, but players drive the ratings too.

The NFL could have had the draft at any time of the year and with Manziel and Clowney in it they'd have got huge ratings. Next year there's no "once in a generation" Clowney type player, though Winston and Green-Beckham should be the "Manziel's" of the 2015 draft.

• Advertisement

Just put together a (completely random and very short) compilation of our posts from the start of the draft to close to draft day. Some make interesting reading, fair to say some predictions are better than others :pac:
    D3PO wrote: »
    don't get all the love for Clowney at all. Hes been below average this season but has had excuse after excuse. His play doesn't warrant a top 5 nor does his attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide hes living on his reputation from last season tbh.
    D3PO wrote: »
    sweet mother of god. Manziel will never go in the first round at all. Forget the fact hes not a prototypical pocket passer but his size alone will prevent him going in the first.

Bridgewater however isn't the only first round QB IMO. Boyd is also worthy of a first round pick.

Back to the Clowney discussion Ive seen a lot of tape of him this year sorry lads but I wouldn't be dropping a top 5 pick on him as id have too many concerns over his attitude, his injury and how easily hes been neutralized this season.

Im not as convinced that he will be this dominant NFL player that you all seem to be. Time will tell but for me he will be a good (starter for many seasons) but not great NFL player (Regular Pro Bowl type player)

Clowney #1 overall, Manziel went in the first and Boyd in the 6th. One to come back to in the future to see how your predictions pan out.
    It will be Bridgewater, without a shadow of doubt. The only teams that have a chance of picking first that won't take Bridgewater are the Falcons and Rams (via Redskins).
    Bridgewater's off to Texas then. Houston get the #1 pick.

Good man Paully :rolleyes: This Bridgewater love better not come back to haunt me.
    Barney92 wrote: »
    Any chance Clinton-Dix drops to the Packers? I do like what I've seen of him. They might have a shot now that they have the best pick of the playoff teams (I think).

Yep, a very good chance.
    Don't forget Colt Lyerla. He was a potential early round pick before leaving Oregon. I'd imagine he won't be drafted but could make a 53 man roster if he gets a chance

Good call on Lyerla, a player I thought would possibly go in the second :pac:
    Jesus, Colt Lyerla just ran a 4.47, hell of a time at his size. If he gets focused someone might get a steal with him. He should go early second round, but will most likely slip into the third or fourth.

Never envisaged Garappolo going to the Patriots that early:
    Jimmy Garappolo (QB) one to keep an eye on as analysts are saying a strong showing could send his stock right up. Cassius Marsh also intriguing as he's a DE who has played some snaps at TE and there's a possibility he will make the switch permanent. Pierre Desir (CB) also getting lots of attention.
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Garoppolo got MVP of the East-West Shrine game.

That combined with picking up the last QB spot for the Senior Bowl will send his draft stock right up there. Definitely within the top 10 QBs at this stage before the combine and individual workouts.
    2 guys i am looking forward to monitoring for the rest of the draft process are corners Keith McGill from Utah & Stanley Jean-Baptise from Nebraska.

Both had a good week at the senior bowl by all accounts. They are listed @ 6'3 & 6'3 respectively so fit the mold of long corners ala Sherman/Browner.

They both look to have adequate speed (4.5 40) & have seem to possess the movement skills coming out of breaks to remain at corner (McGill looked slightly better)

As of right now they are both low 2nd/high 3rd rounders

Baptiste went in the 2nd, nice.
    Stanley Jean Baptise could be the closest thing we get to Sherman in this years draft, could be a steal at the top of the third round.

See above.
    Calvin Pryor from Louisville could be the pick of the bunch. He is 6ft2, 210lbs. He likes to hit & has the speed to cover TE's. He could be a low 1st round pick at this point.

First safety off the board, nice.

Michael Sam stuff:
    Firstly I'll say fair play to Sam on such a brave thing to do. It's sad in this day and age that it is even news but anyway.

On to the football:

I'd personally peg him in as around a 4th rounder, but wouldn't be surprised if he fell a bit further. As Higgins has said, he's undersized and in a bit of a "no mans land" between positions. Personally I'd see him having the most success as a situational pass rusher.
    I see Michael Sam had a pretty poor day. Slow 40 time 4.91 & near the bottom of the DL groups in bench press & vertical leap. A lot of doubt about his ability to move to LB.

An undersized 4-3 end with poor measurables & lacking movement skills to move to OLB. He def will be going in the 4th round at best at this point.
    I agree. I had him down as a 4th rounder at best a while ago, but I reckon there's more chance he's looking at 5th round at the earliest now.

I think it's obvious what he brings to the table and teams will know exactly what they're going to get and how they can use him. He's a sub-package/situational pass rusher who will either get a sack coming off the edge or be a waste of a spot on any given play. He doesn't seem to generate a lot of pressure outside of his sacks from what I've seen (although I'll admit not as much as I would like). He tends to use the same move over and over again too so he's going to have to learn some new moves or NFL players will eat him up.

5th-7th rounder and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't make a roster. If that happens, it will get blown up into the "he didn't make a roster because he's gay" argument, but in reality he's not all that good IMO.

Your suggestion of getting him on a practice squad for a year makes a lot of sense to me.

There or thereabouts.
    Syferus wrote: »
    There's about a zero chance of Sam going undrafted. He's one of the best defensive players in the only college conference that plays defense.

It was close, but ultimately you were correct.
    I think they're first aim will be to trade down. After that it's obviously depended on who is there. Watkins has certainly been mentioned a lot by fans. I definitely think it's possible. Mack and Barr could both be possibilities to but don't really fit a 4-3 unless we try them in a Von Miller type role. Personally I'm not really sure who I want at 5, trade down would be ideal or Teddy. I''ll cry if we draft any QB at 5 though.

Nice call on Mack.
    Not going to happen, in my opinion. Evans will be the second WR off the board but Watkins is the best receiver in this class.

Evans has destroyed the combine no doubt but I wouldn't put too much weight on that. It's not what teams will solely be making the evaluations from and Watkins tape is better while still posting very, very good numbers at the combine.

Watkins, Evans, Odell Beckham Jr. That's the top three WR's IMO, in that order. Lee and Cooks right up there too. It's such a deep WR class.

Top three went in that order.
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Jeff-Janis?id=2543750

I'm keeping my eye on this guy.

A guy who played DII football, who appears to have all the measurables to be a really good receiver.

6'3 219 and runs a 4.42.

Fastest White Guy in the Combine :P

Went to the Packers.
    Lionbacker wrote: »
    Lions won't be drafting a CB at #10.
    They have already drafted 4 in the last 2 years, including a high second rounder on Darius Slay last year. I highly doubt they would add a fifth young CB to the group. They could however go pick up a veteran in free agency.
    The Lions will almost certainly be looking at WR at 10. There is absolutely no-one to go alongside Calvin, seeing that Burleson was cut 2 weeks ago.

Good call. I was fully convinced they'd draft a CB but I remember you said a few times they would go receiver. Going for Ebron is virtually the same thing.
    I'm starting to think Bortles might be the 1st QB of the board.

Good call.
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    Talking with personnel guys, they all have the same names in their top 5: Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Robinson & Matthews. Order 1-5 varies

The personnel guys were almost fully correct, Bortles slipped in there like an eel!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Heads up guys, an incredible poster on r/NFL has privately uploaded all the Gruden QB Camp specials for the QB's in this years' draft. I just watched the Bortles one and loved it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/25fwwq/quarterback_camp_2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

There is so much going on around Bortles since the draft. The more I see, the happier I am that we took him

The Rams haul from the RGIII trade. Image from @ESPNNFL:

Bnn7mwcIUAIaANf.jpg

The Rams haul from the RGIII trade. Image from @ESPNNFL:

Bnn7mwcIUAIaANf.jpg

I said it day one it was a crazy trade for the skins hershel walkeresc

Still nobdy has picked Colt Lyerla up as a UDFA.

He has undeniable talent but his psych evaluations must have come back "absolute head case" that not even one team of 32 will take a chance on him as an UDFA where there is 0 risk.

not draft news we where talking about the browns they just released greg little thank god there so set at receiver or that would be a worrying move for browns fans :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I can't knock the Browns for that

Greg Little is a horrible football player with hands of stone. Better off bringing some undrafted rookies and waiver wire pickups into camp and see can they find someone then persisting with Little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Still nobdy has picked Colt Lyerla up as a UDFA.

He has undeniable talent but his psych evaluations must have come back "absolute head case" that not even one team of 32 will take a chance on him as an UDFA where there is 0 risk.

Packers picked him up apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Heads up guys, an incredible poster on r/NFL has privately uploaded all the Gruden QB Camp specials for the QB's in this years' draft. I just watched the Bortles one and loved it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/25fwwq/quarterback_camp_2014/

Just came in to post this. Bortles and Garoppolo really impressed me (as much as possible in a 30 minute tv show).

Advertisement