Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just saying its a pretty conservative fan base. Texas isn't exactly the most the most liberal state. I think the largely white, republican conservative fans would prefer Johnny Football or Blake Bortles to lead them over a Teddy bridgewater

The fans don't care what colour the player is. See their campaigns to get the Texans to take Vince Young in 2006 for example.

Aside from that, even if the fans did care their owner has proven before that he doesn't bow to fan pressure which again can be seen in the Vince Young saga when he took Mario Williams instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Paully D wrote: »
    The fans don't care what colour the player is. See their campaigns to get the Texans to take Vince Young in 2006 for example.

Aside from that, even if the fans did care their owner has proven before that he doesn't bow to fan pressure which again can be seen in the Vince Young saga when he took Mario Williams instead.

I like the Texans and I don't want them to take Bridgewater. In my opinion he's overrated. I think they should take JD Clowney 1st and take a QB in the 2nd round. Or if the must that a QB. Take. Johnny or Blake.

First and foremost. I'm a Giants fan. We need a good OT. Hoping for Greg Robinson but I don't think he will still be on the board at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2.

Brave move by the kid, be interesting to see how this plays out. Would prefer if it wasn't news but that's just the way football and pro sports in general is. If he now goes undrafted it could do huge damage to any other homosexual players coming out, whether they are active professionals or trying to go pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Just saying its a pretty conservative fan base. Texas isn't exactly the most the most liberal state. I think the largely white, republican conservative fans would prefer Johnny Football or Blake Bortles to lead them over a Teddy bridgewater

Considering a high % of players in Texas are black and a high % of players on the Texans are black I highly doubt the colour of Bridgewaters skin is going to affect the Texans opinion of him.

The demographics of the city of Houston also:
    49.3% White(including Hispanic or Latino), 25.3% Black orAfrican American, 0.4% Native American, 5.3%Asian, 0.1&% Pacific Islander, 16.5% from other races, and 3.2% from two or more races. 37% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race

Seems a wide variety of races in Houston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The current mayor of Houston is openly gay and a Democrat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kmart6 wrote: »
    Brave move by the kid, be interesting to see how this plays out. Would prefer if it wasn't news but that's just the way football and pro sports in general is. If he now goes undrafted it could do huge damage to any other homosexual players coming out, whether they are active professionals or trying to go pro.

A very brave move by the kid and fair play to him. Great to see a player stepping up like this and especially before he enters the NFL. I can't see it doing huge damage if the reaction of his teammates and Twitter is anything to go by. And I wonder could this be a 'Rosa Parks' moment for gay athletes in the NFL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The initial reports from anonymous players & GM's are not overly inspiring. Most the GM's saying it will be a definite knock to Sam's draft stock. The general feeling being that he will now bring a massive media presence/distraction with him

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The general feeling being that he will now bring a massive media presence/distraction with him

All the more reason for him to come to the Pats then. Everyone thought that the Tebowmania media sideshow was unstoppable and then it met Bill Belichick last summer - RIP Tebowmania.

It may be a brave move. but it's also an incredibley stupid thing to do at this time in his career. he is only on his way up and this will destroy his draft stock and his money. the teams may not care if he's gay. but they don't want to deal with the enivitable media circus that might fck up their preseason preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

This isn't the 60's. Not sure where you got the idea that a black QB wouldn't be welcome in Americas 4th largest city, but you're way off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kmart6 wrote: »
    It would be damaging to the sport itself if he goes undrafted IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭nerd69

It may be a brave move. but it's also an incredibley stupid thing to do at this time in his career. he is only on his way up and this will destroy his draft stock and his money. the teams may not care if he's gay. but they don't want to deal with the enivitable media circus that might fck up their preseason preparation.

i could see him go the other way this has vaulted him into the national spotlight and could be a huge marketing ploy for a franchise ala jason collins getting signed when he came out in the nba.

additionally as stated above he is a good player and this shows huge character i would be confident that chip kelly for example will instantly have him up a few spots on his board as he rates character higher than most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

davyjose wrote: »
    It would be damaging to the sport itself if he goes undrafted IMO.
    It will definitely be raised if he doesn't get drafted.
    Anyone know if he's any good, and where he might be expected to be drafted?
    It may be a brave move. but it's also an incredibley stupid thing to do at this time in his career.
    I don't think it's stupid to put a huge issue before football. This not only affects him, but also a lot of other players who are in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

All the more reason for him to come to the Pats then. Everyone thought that Tebowmania media sideshow was unstoppable and then it met Bill Belichick last summer - RIP Tebowmania.
    Reporter: "How has the locker room been affected by the drafting of Sam?"
    Bill: *Stares*..... "Any football related questions?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

[quote="munstermagic11;88929692"
    Anyone know if he's any good, and where he might be expected to be drafted?

[/quote]

On 2 mocks i follow last weeks update had him going to Chargers in the 2nd & 49ers in the 3rd.

Reports are that is slightly undersized & will struggle against the run. He is slighlty caught between being a 4-3 end or olb in a 3-4

From the few reports i have read he is a 3rd/4th round prospect due to size & athletic limitations

This guy is not established enough to come out in the NFL. I have a feeling he won't get drafted now.
    The Jason Collins thing is very different. His career was over at that stage. He didn't play another game after he came out.

It might make some impact to the "issue" if an established player in his prime came out as gay. Say Arron Rodgers. He might get exception becaue of his reputation. but not this guy. He has probably just thrown away his pro career and million of dollars in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It sounds like the guy didn't have much choice. He wanted to wait until after the draft but it was already quite well know so they felt it could be leaked before hand.

Firstly I'll say fair play to Sam on such a brave thing to do. It's sad in this day and age that it is even news but anyway.

On to the football:

I'd personally peg him in as around a 4th rounder, but wouldn't be surprised if he fell a bit further. As Higgins has said, he's undersized and in a bit of a "no mans land" between positions. Personally I'd see him having the most success as a situational pass rusher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

This guy is not established enough to come out in the NFL. I have a feeling he won't get drafted now.
    The Jason Collins thing is very different. His career was over at that stage. He didn't play another game after he came out.

It might make some impact to the "issue" if an established player in his prime came out as gay. Say Arron Rodgers. He might get exception becaue of his reputation. but not this guy. He has probably just thrown away his pro career and million of dollars in the process.

There's about a zero chance of Sam going undrafted. He's one of the best defensive players in the only college conference that plays defense.

Oh, and go to Auburn, Alabama and ask the 'white republicans' in the real South think of black QBs before you say something as stereotypical and off-base as a huge metro area like Houston giving a ****e what colour their QB is.

You're on a bad roll right now.

What people say and what people actually think are two very different things. Ofcourse when every player, GM or owner is asked about Sam they are going to be PC and say something positive in the media. But non of them will want to be the team who actually takes him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What people say and what people actually think are two very different things. Ofcourse when every player, GM or owner is asked about Sam they are going to be PC and say something positive in the media. But non of them will want to be the team who actually takes him.

Isn't saying 'something positive' going to alienate all the 'white republicians'? Not so PC by your own logic then, eh?

Really can't see how you think the current SEC defensive PotY could go undrafted because of his sexual orientation; we're not talking about a scrub. Only one SEC defensive PotY in history has not been drafted in the first two rounds, if you think he could ever drop four or five rounds you are missing the mark by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I could be wrong but i'm nearly sure i read somewhere that the last 7 SEC Defensive POY have been drafted in the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He'll definitely get drafted. He'll make a fortune in endorsements, companies will be falling over themselves to deal with him and whichever team it is who drafts him will know all of this in advance and decide to roll with it and gamble on the PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭nerd69

He wouldn't have need drafted first or second round anyway though he was a 3rd-4th round pick as is and that's where I think he'll go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I wonder if Carroll and Schneider will take Sam if he's still around in the 4th round. It's pretty certain they'll need a decent rusher with the likely cuts that we'll see in the off season.

He're how I see it going in at the moment.

#1 JADEVEON CLOWNEY
    #2 JAKE MATTHEWS
    #3 JOHNNY MANZIEL
    #4 TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
    #5 BLAKE BORTLES
    #6 GREG ROBINSON
    #7 KHALIL MACK
    #8 DEREK CARR
    #9 ERIC EBRON
    #10 JUSTIN GILBERT
    #11 ANTHONY BARR
    #12 TAYLOR LEWAN
    #13 SAMMY WATKINS
    #14 TIMMY JERNIGAN
    #15 HA HA CLINTON-DIX

It's way, way too early but at the minute presuming no trades I'd go with the below for the first half of the draft:

1) Texans - Bridgewater
    2) Rams - Matthews
    3) Jaguars - Clowney
    4) Browns - Manziel
    5) Raiders - Bortles

6) Falcons - Robinson
    7) Buccaneers - Watkins
    8) Vikings - Carr if they reach for a QB/Barr if not
    9) Bills - Evans
    10) Lions - Gilbert

11) Titans - Lewan
    12) Giants - Mack
    13) Rams - Clinton-Dix
    14) Bears - Nix
    15) Steelers - Dennard

16) Ravens - Ebron

I'll admit that I'm not too happy with the above as it is too early, but some reasoning:

Texans - The eventually get sense and take the best QB available after spending time evaluating all the prospects over and over and over again and seeing what every man and his dog see.

Rams - Likely they trade down but with Long suffering a serious injury and going to miss time next season they could take their franchise LT for the next 10 + years here.

Jaguars - They'll take Bridgewater if the Texans are stupid enough to take Bortles or Manziel over him, but if not they don't reach for a QB, instead taking the best player on the board and significantly improving a need.

Browns - Manziel's a reach at this position, but the Browns need something quickly at the QB position and are in desperation mode once again. He's going to be an extremely interesting case study, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does no matter where he ends up.

Raiders - Another reach, but similar to the Browns the Raiders need a QB and take one who does have the tools (in big need of development though) in Bortles here.

Falcons - There's serious work needed on the offensive line and if Matthews is available here I think the Falcons take him, if not they go for the next best thing in Greg Robinson and hope they've found Matt Ryan's blindside protector for the foreseeable future.

Buccaneers - Lots of people say edge rusher here, but I'm going to pencil in the Buccaneers for a bit of a surprise pick and say they take Sammy Watkins. I think Lovie Smith will look sure up the pass rush with experienced players in free agency. Watkins is the best receiver in the draft class by some distance IMO and with Mike Glennon (presuming they go with him) they could do with giving him as much help as possible. Watkins is an explosive playmaker who will win games on his own if he gets the ball in his hands.

Vikings - I personally rate Derek Carr as the second best QB in the draft after Bridgewater, but 8th is reach no matter what. Zimmer might look to get a pass rushing LB, which is a staple of his defensive scheme, in instead.

Bills - I was tempted to go with CJ Mosley here, but I think the Bills could find it too hard to pass up the temptation to load Manuel up with receiving weapons.

Lions - The Lions will be gutted to miss out on Mike Evans so turn their attention to the other side of the ball where they need serious secondary help. Justin Gilbert is the best corner available in this years draft and would be a nice addition for Detroit.

Titans - Looking to the future, the Titans could be in a bit of trouble at the offensive line position. Roos is a FA next year and Steward is playing like he deserves about a tenth of his salary. Lewan can slot in a RT and move to LT if/when Roos moves on next offseason.

Giants - Big help needed at the linebacker position and Mack would certainly improve it. A very versatile player who I think the Giants would love to have on board.

Rams - The way their offensive line is currently set up I wouldn't be at all surprised if they felt the need to use their two 1st rounders at the position, especially as Bradford could do without getting too much damage coming back off a serious injury. However, I'm going to say they use one pick on each of their two main needs and take HaHa Clinton-Dix to give them some secondary help.

Bears - Defense will be the order of the day for the Bears here but in what position? Best player available could be very likely. If Clinton-Dix is here they'll be very tempted, but as I've given him to the Rams I'm going to predict they look at shoring up the D-line and subsequent awful run defense. I'm caught between Louis Nix and Tim Jernigan but go with Nix who's the better run stuffer.

Steelers - The Steelers are a bit of a mess at a number of positions on defense. Jernigan or Nix could both be good fits here, in fact Nix would be perfect, but as he's gone I'll give them help in the cornerback position. Darqueze Dennard.

Ravens - I'll finish up with my Ravens. WR, OT, TE and S are all likely options here and in free agency we'll know a lot more, especially if we add players from a couple of those positions. We could be in a bit of trouble at the TE position if a deal for Pitta gets messy, even if it doesn't we could do with another TE as Dickson can't catch a football. Ebron would give Flacco a trusted target as he doesn't drop balls. Marquise Lee also very, very tempting with this pick.

Sorry I've only done half the teams, but feel free to let me know what you think. I'm really looking forward to getting properly stuck into the draft stuff over the next few months now after that taster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Top work Paully but I doubt the Ravens go TE. Kubiak will have influence and he never used a high pick in that area and still made it work. Owen Daniels has had a strong career and Garett Graham has started at TE and fullback, both were 4th rounders

Give me Marquise Lee in the 1st! :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Top work Paully but I doubt the Ravens go TE. Kubiak will have influence and he never used a high pick in that area and still made it work. Owen Daniels has had a strong career and Garett Graham has started at TE and fullback, both were 4th rounders

Give me Marquise Lee in the 1st! :)

I'd personally take Lee too mate, hopefully we do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Good work Paully!

Only thing id say is that I don't see how the Jags take Clowney instead of a QB! The Texans had JJ Watt (the best defensive player in the NFL IMO) playing all of last year and they had the worst record, because of awful QB play! And if there's one thing the Jags have on their roster it's bad QB's!

Advertisement