Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't get what the big deal is. How is being 5'11.75 and not 6'0 a deciding factor. Were talking a quarter inch here. 0.6 cm. Ridiculous argument to make against him

6'0 is very short for a QB. Manziel was listed at 6'2 by A&M, was expected to measure 6'1.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    He's taller than Russell Wilson. :pac:

Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Manziel is potentially a top 5 pick. No-one would have batted an eyelid if Wilson didn't work out. Manziel is under the most intense scrutiny because of his draft position.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Laser activated timers on the 10yd and 40yd lines giving results to the hundredth of a second.

And yet up in the stands are coaches with stopwatches wanting to do it themselves. Very old school and a tad bizarre imo

It really is just ridiculous really but I suppose something to pass the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Eric Ebron just tore up the 40. 4.50 and he slowed off at the end.

Jesus, Colt Lyerla just ran a 4.47, hell of a time at his size. If he gets focused someone might get a steal with him. He should go early second round, but will most likely slip into the third or fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Lyerla just went even faster, 4.47.

Paully D wrote: »
    Eric Ebron just tore up the 40. 4.50 and he slowed off at the end.

Jesus, Colt Lyerla just ran a 4.47, hell of a time at his size. If he gets focused someone might get a steal with him. He should go early second round, but will most likely slip into the third or fourth.

It wouldn't surprise me if he still went undrafted. That's a hell of a time though. I wonder would Ebron be of interest to us at 12?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Giants are surely going offensive line at 12, no?

Giants are surely going offensive line at 12, no?

That's what I keep being told but I don't see us moving Beatty to RT & Pugh was one of the better RT's in the league by the end of his rookie year. We need new guards more than OT's IMO.

To my uneducated eye Cyrus Kouandjio the Alabama left tackle looked awkward during the drills

He got ripped by Mayock later

Widely mocked as a first round pick

A Bills scout just said he can forget about going in round one now as he was slugglish, slow and under-prepared.

EDIT - He's also failed his physical with several teams it seems. - @RapSheet: Bad news for OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if he still went undrafted. That's a hell of a time though. I wonder would Ebron be of interest to us at 12?

Yeah, I agree. He could go anywhere from third round to UDFA. The very respected Matt Miller is saying that Lyerla had one week of training pre-combine, while most other players had six weeks, yet he puts a very good showing. Just shows how naturally talented he is.

Someone will get a steal with him I think, providing he stays focused. He's the stereotypical "high risk-high reward player". After the Hernandez stuff it may have put a lot of teams off though.

If my Ravens were to get him I'd be delighted because of his on field talent but I'm sure he'd keep Harbaugh's hands full.

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 32s
    While former #Oregon TE Colt Lyerla had an impressive day was told teams off the field write-ups are the not good. 1 scout: "not Draftable"

Then again, people were saying the same about Mathieu this time last year.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Really think Jordan Matthews is the second best receiver in this draft. If there is anyway he falls to the Colts, I hope they take him.

He is going to be an absolute steal. At the moment he is pegged to go late 2nd by a few mocks.

• Advertisement

Arthritic knee from failed surgery

How far would something like that knock a player? Doubt you could have a long career with something like that?

How far would something like that knock a player? Doubt you could have a long career with something like that?

Some teams will cross him off their boards completely now. Da'Quan Bowers for example was touted as a top 10 pick in 2011, but showed signs of the same problem as Kouandjio and fell to the latter end of the 2nd round. I'd imagine the same might happen to Cyrus. He's certainly a very questionable first rounder at this point.

It's hard to tell about his career though. Anthony Munoz failed numerous medicals because of the same thing and had huge injury concerns, but only missed three games in his career and made the Hall of Fame. For everyone Munoz there's probably lots of players who it has affected badly though.

I'm sure we'll hear more once more knowledgeable medical people start giving us their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

I thought with Daquan bowers there was some odd issue with his arms being different lengths

nerd69 wrote: »
    I thought with Daquan bowers there was some odd issue with his arms being different lengths

I thought that too but that could have been the other DE they drafted who's name escapes me

Edit: Adrian Clayborn has erbs palsy

nerd69 wrote: »
    I thought that too but that could have been the other DE they drafted who's name escapes me

There was definite knee problems for Bowers:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f378f6/article/bowers-knee-not-clear-on-recheck-agent-denies-any-issues
    The medical recheck of Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers last weekend showed signs of potential long-term arthritis and some weakness in his surgically repaired right knee, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.

Adrian Clayborn had Erb's Palsy in his arm, that could have been it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Yup Adrian claybourne it was apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The combine seems to give position coaches a chance in the spotlight

The Cardinals strength & conditioning coach has been running the bench press tests for as long as I can remember. A bit of a celebrity at the combine :cool:

A Steelers coach runs the 40 yard dash, seems to be a very softly spoken and encouraging coach

I forget who ran the offensive lineman drills but as you'd expect from a lineman coach he was barking the instructions at them ealier today. Ravens coach Andy Moeller works with the linemen too for a few years now but he isn't in charge

QB's about to start their 40 yards dashes. Live, official NFL Network stream to watch it on NFL.com below:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?module=HP11_traffic_driver

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Garropollo is a tank of a man, compared to Manziel its lan Man V Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,751 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Manziel with the quickest 40 time of the QBs so far at 4.56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

watching the receivers, really interested in this, hopefully a few disappoint and fall.

This receiving class is really stacked. You could potentially go three rounds deep and pick up a cracking player at the position.

This receiving class is really stacked. You could potentially go three rounds deep and pick up a cracking player at the position.

Agreed, must stacked position i have ever seen since i started watching the drafts

"Do you like looking at these drills Coach Billick?"

"Oh sure, I love watching players do drills that have absolutely no baring on, and that they will never do in a game"

Cue very swift moving on from the presenter.

:pac::pac::pac:

Poor 40 from Landry, might hurt his stock. Would be a steal late second, early third round.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,751 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

4.34 40 time for sammy watkins.

Missed most of today's action, anything I need to catch up on?

In other news, Dri Archer just ran a 4.26 prompting the below Tweet from Chris Johnson:

Chris Johnson ‏@ChrisJohnson28 3m
    Can't lie archer had the boi nervous

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Missed most of today's action, anything I need to catch up on?

In other news, Dri Archer just ran a 4.26 prompting the below Tweet from Chris Johnson:

Chris Johnson ‏@ChrisJohnson28 3m
    Can't lie archer had the boi nervous

:pac::pac:

He said similar last year with McCaleb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mike Evans after his 40 yard dash...

make-it-rain-guys.gif

• Advertisement

Mike Evans after his 40 yard dash...

make-it-rain-guys.gif

What did he post? Sub 4.4 I take it?