Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

i think sam will make a roster and be a good rotation player but thats all.

and your dead right there will be a **** storm from the non football media when he does not go in the top two rounds but i think he will definitely get drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I still think he will go undrafted and there will be a big **** storm.
    Some hero team will give him a shot in a training camp and cut him.

I think he will get drafted ok, if I was a GM I'd take him with a 6th or 7th round pick as he would be an absolute premium UDFA. I would then look to get him through to my practise squad for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I see Michael Sam had a pretty poor day. Slow 40 time 4.91 & near the bottom of the DL groups in bench press & vertical leap. A lot of doubt about his ability to move to LB.

An undersized 4-3 end with poor measurables & lacking movement skills to move to OLB. He def will be going in the 4th round at best at this point.

I agree. I had him down as a 4th rounder at best a while ago, but I reckon there's more chance he's looking at 5th round at the earliest now.

I think it's obvious what he brings to the table and teams will know exactly what they're going to get and how they can use him. He's a sub-package/situational pass rusher who will either get a sack coming off the edge or be a waste of a spot on any given play. He doesn't seem to generate a lot of pressure outside of his sacks from what I've seen (although I'll admit not as much as I would like). He tends to use the same move over and over again too so he's going to have to learn some new moves or NFL players will eat him up.

5th-7th rounder and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't make a roster. If that happens, it will get blown up into the "he didn't make a roster because he's gay" argument, but in reality he's not all that good IMO.

Your suggestion of getting him on a practice squad for a year makes a lot of sense to me.

One of the big surprises of the weigh in was Louisville safety Calvin Pryor. He was listed 6"2 207lbs in college but measured in at 5"11 207lbs (with short arms 31 3/8) Most had him rated as top 2 safety with HaHa Clinton Dix but these measurements will certainly affect his stock

From a Giants perspective the 3 corners I'd like us to be interested in (2nd/3rd round) all measured in with good length. Kyle Fuller was 6"0 on the button while Keith McGill & Stanley Jean Baptisteboth hit the 6"3 mark

One of the big surprises of the weigh in was Louisville safety Calvin Pryor. He was listed 6"2 207lbs in college but measured in at 5"11 207lbs (with short arms 31 3/8) Most had him rated as top 2 safety with HaHa Clinton Dix but these measurements will certainly affect his stock

From a Giants perspective the 3 corners I'd like us to be interested in (2nd/3rd round) all measured in with good length. Kyle Fuller was 6"0 on the button while Keith McGill & Stanley Jean Baptisteboth hit the 6"3 mark

big time i saw a few people rate him above haha due i think to the seahawks.

far as im concerned it depends who you wand if you want a coverage saftey go for haha if you want an in the box guy go for pryor both can do both but they have very different specialities

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    big time i saw a few people rate him above haha due i think to the seahawks.

far as im concerned it depends who you wand if you want a coverage saftey go for haha if you want an in the box guy go for pryor both can do both but they have very different specialities

Yea agree with that but at 6"2 you were looking at Pryor as a guy who could match up against Gronk or Vernon Davis. 5" 11 takes away some of that excitement you would have had drafting the guy

Higgins, are you going to get the Boards mock draft going again this year? I know it was around the end of March when we kicked off 12 months ago, but what do people think about starting it a bit earlier this year?

As the draft is not until May this year we could even do two mock drafts (one very soon and one closer to draft time) or perhaps there would be some interest in a full seven rounder also?

Paully D wrote: »
    Higgins, are you going to get the Boards mock draft going again this year? I know it was around the end of March when we kicked off 12 months ago, but what do people think about starting it a bit earlier this year?

As the draft is not until May this year we could even do two mock drafts (one very soon and one closer to draft time) or perhaps there would be some interest in a full seven rounder also?

Yea I don't mind sur we'll stick up a tread the end of the week. & see what the interest level is like. Looking back at the last couple of years even getting a 2 rounder done throughout March/April would be a success.

The pro days this year are running up to mid-April this year too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

After running that for 2011 & 2012 it is difficult to get two rounds complete. GMs sign up and then don't respond to pms. That leaves the commish scrambling to find a poster to fill in

Even getting 3 rounds done for 2014 would be an achievement

Paully, your pick of Star Latotieu at 14 to the Panthers is not forgotten :cool:

2 rounds can be done alright, it's just not as quick as people think

Yea I don't mind sur we'll stick up a tread the end of the week. & see what the interest level is like. Looking back at the last couple of years even getting a 2 rounder done throughout March/April would be a success.

The pro days this year are running up to mid-April this year too

Cool mate. Yeah true, I'd love a 7 rounder but in all likelihood a 2 or 3 rounder at best is realistic. The same format as last year would be good whereby each person gets a different team for round 1 and 2.

I learnt quite a lot about the Panthers and Rams because of that, even mocking Star Lotulelei to the Panthers correctly (cheers Mike :)). I gave the Rams Jamie Collins in round 2 if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    After running that for 2011 & 2012 it is difficult to get two rounds complete. GMs sign up and them don't respond to pms. That leaves the commish scrambling to find a poster to fill in

Even getting 3 rounds done for 2014 would be an achievement

Paully, your pick of Star Latotieu at 14 to the Panthers is not forgotten :cool:

Think maybe this year if we put together a list of say 4 boards members who can help maintain the mock. For arguments sake if no pick in 24hrs one of the group steps in & makes the pick to keep the mock moving

I'm sure Paully & you will both volunteer to be part of the group.

That sounds good :)

The commish does work hard on this so help would be welcome

Think maybe this year if we put together a list of say 4 board side members who can help maintain the mock. For arguments sake if no pick in 24hrs one of the group steps in & makes the pick to keep the mock moving

I'm sure Paully & you will both volunteer to be part of the group.

Yeah, I'd certainly enjoy doing that. The more teams/picks the better as far as I'm concerned :D

If you need any help in getting set up or during the mock draft process etc just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Funny looking back at my previous picks.

11- Marcel Dareus, Cameron Jordan
    12 - Trent Richardson, Bobby Wagner
    13 - Zach Ertz, Montee Ball

My 2nd rounders certainly looking better then my 1st rounders for now.

I gave Margus Hunt DE to the Bengals at 38. Right team, just he went at 53

A poster mocked DJ Fluker at 39. He went no 11 overall, that poster wasn't impressed anyway!

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Funny looking back at my previous picks.

11- Marcel Dareus, Cameron Jordan
    12 - Trent Richardson, Bobby Wagner
    13 - Zach Ertz, Montee Ball

My 2nd rounders certainly looking better then my 1st rounders for now.
    zach ertz is going to be a beast spent the start of the season learning to block but really came on at the end of the year.

Any excuse to post this:

830939958.gif?1388508769

Cue wife jokes :pac:

A poster mocked DJ Fluker at 39. He went no 11 overall, that poster wasn't impressed anyway!

incidentally i saw feck all bengals this year how did margus hunt play i didn't really know what to make of him going into the draft

jeasus khalil mack seems huge

nerd69 wrote: »
    incidentally i saw feck all bengals this year how did margus hunt play i didn't really know what to make of him going into the draft

Not a whole lot. He never played football in Estonia and only started in college so the plan always was to develop him.

A quick google tells me inactive for 6 games, active for 10 with 1 tackle and half a sack. Seems poor but he shifted from defensive end to inside to defensive tackle after Geno Atkins got hurt which didn't help him at pass rush.

He will do a whole lot more next year.

• Advertisement

Not a whole lot. He never played football in Estonia and only started in college so the plan always was to develop him.

A quick google tells me inactive for 6 games, active for 10 with 1 tacke and half a sack. Seems poor but he shifted from defensive end to inside to defensive tackle after Geno Atkins got hurt which didn't help him at pass rush.

He will do a whole lot more next year.

2nd round pick is pricey for a 25 year old development player though particularly in what was a pretty deep draft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Count me in to be a GM in the mock lads. 2 rounds is prob more than enough the way things go with lads disappearing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

With 4 people overseeing it, I think 3 rounds would be possible. Also, don't open it to first come, priority should go to those who played previous years with no delay. after that priority given to new people and then finally to people who played previously but caused significant delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd be all for a three round draft and starting a bit earlier.

Might try do a review of our older mock drafts and see how they panned out - did they go higher or lower, how have they fared out, grade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Said it ages ago. JD Clowney is by a distance the best player in this draft. When you have the 1st pick you can't focus on team needs. You take the best player. Take Clowney 1st and you take your QB in Rd2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Said it ages ago. JD Clowney is by a distance the best player in this draft. When you have the 1st pick you can't focus on team needs. You take the best player. Take Clowney 1st and you take your QB in Rd2.

i think baring a texans trade down the rams are going clowney now

think the falcons will be looking to trade up and i think the rams may consider trading up if they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't get why Clowney is a lock at #1. His coach questions his work ethic, he got out benched by a punter. If Clowney is massive in the NFL then him and Watt are going to be on huge contracts in the same position on the team and that's without a QB. That's a massive luxury. Do the two of them even fit in the same team? I'm not sure. His technique isn't great. He makes up for it as he's a genetic freak and his raw athleticism helps him massively. His technique will need to improve and he'll be going against pro OL that will use some of his athleticism against him if he doesn't improve his technique.

The guy is a genetic freak but he has lots of red flags. If I'm the Texans I would draft Teddy Bridgewater.

kyle fuller looks good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No doubting Clowneys excellent 40 time, but the numbers from every other drill were very underwhelming considering the hype.

Advertisement