Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

2 guys i am looking forward to monitoring for the rest of the draft process are corners Keith McGill from Utah & Stanley Jean-Baptise from Nebraska.

Both had a good week at the senior bowl by all accounts. They are listed @ 6'3 & 6'3 respectively so fit the mold of long corners ala Sherman/Browner.

They both look to have adequate speed (4.5 40) & have seem to possess the movement skills coming out of breaks to remain at corner (McGill looked slightly better)

As of right now they are both low 2nd/high 3rd rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

HigginsJ wrote: »
    2 guys i am looking forward to monitoring for the rest of the draft process are corners Keith McGill from Utah & Stanley Jean-Baptise from Nebraska.

Both had a good week at the senior bowl by all accounts. They are listed @ 6'3 & 6'3 respectively so fit the mold of long corners ala Sherman/Browner.

They both look to have adequate speed (4.5 40) & have seem to possess the movement skills coming out of breaks to remain at corner (McGill looked slightly better)

As of right now they are both low 2nd/high 3rd rounders

Stanley Jean Baptise could be the closest thing we get to Sherman in this years draft, could be a steal at the top of the third round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

It's only from now that I start taking an interest in college players and doing a bit of research. Does anyone know if there are any safeties of Chancellor's build in the upcoming draft. Safeties built like linebackers with the coverage skills of a safety.

It's only from now that I start taking an interest in college players and doing a bit of research. Does anyone know if there are any safeties of Chancellor's build in the upcoming draft. Safeties built like linebackers with the coverage skills of a safety.

Calvin Pryor from Louisville could be the pick of the bunch. He is 6ft2, 210lbs. He likes to hit & has the speed to cover TE's. He could be a low 1st round pick at this point.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Stanley Jean Baptise could be the closest thing we get to Sherman in this years draft, could be a steal at the top of the third round.

Yea i can see us going corner in the 2nd or 3rd round if we dont address the positon in FA. Either if these 2 or Kyle Fuller would be my preferences

• Advertisement

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 19s
    From @russlande: "According to trusted sources, the Texans are initially leaning towards taking Bortles or Manziel with the top pick."

Hope this is true, dont think either will be elite but Teddy has a very good chance of being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hope this is true, dont think either will be elite but Teddy has a very good chance of being.

Oh please please please...

Holy ****, the Rams would have another awesome trade on their hands if this happened. NFC West :eek:

davyjose wrote: »
    Oh please please please...

Holy ****, the Rams would have another awesome trade on their hands if this happened. NFC West :eek:

while the AFC south would stay relatively in our favour, they would have to be stupid to pass on Clowney and Teddy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bortles is very "meh" to me. In all honesty I haven't watched as much as I would like of him yet, but I haven't been blown away. Mechanics are not that good, seems to not be able to look defenders off properly and is prone to making stupid throws. Of course that can be developed, and he has the tools, but if I'm going #1 I want a player who can turn my franchise around. Bortles is not that IMO, not yet anyway and I'd doubt if he ever will be. The main reasons the Texans would be taking him are because Bortles torched O'Brien's Penn State team last season.

Manziel is not a #1 pick either. Aside from the flaws in his game he could easily end up partying his way out of the NFL, but at least he'd be fun. That said, if I'm the Texans I don't take a QB on the basis of that.

Rams would likely be inundated with trade offers if one of the above go at #1, but if they kept their pick they won't take a QB and Jacksonville would think all their Christmases have come at once.

Bridgewater is on another level to any other QB in this draft. He's not without his flaws either and won't have as huge an impact as some may be anticipating straight away, but simply put if a team needs a QB and passes on Bridgewater then they are complete idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

i think the no 1 pick would have been mariota had he come out alas he didnt so i would be shocked if the texans didnt go with bridgewater the clear (in my opinion) number one qb in this class.

i do think they are dreaming (and it is a dream) of a redskins/rams type trade and thats why there talking up clowney etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

nerd69 wrote: »
    i think the no 1 pick would have been mariota had he come out alas he didnt so i would be shocked if the texans didnt go with bridgewater the clear (in my opinion) number one qb in this class.

i do think they are dreaming (and it is a dream) of a redskins/rams type trade and thats why there talking up clowney etc

Mariota will probably go first next year. He played the last few games hurt, and dropped out of the Heisman race because, even though he was still lights out the best player on the team, the Kelly-less Ducks lost two games. But I'm not sure he's as NFL ready as Bridgewater. He's coming back for another season though and should be an even better QB by the time he does declare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

davyjose wrote: »
    Mariota will probably go first next year. He played the last few games hurt, and dropped out of the Heisman race because, even though he was still lights out the best player on the team, the Kelly-less Ducks lost two games. But I'm not sure he's as NFL ready as Bridgewater. He's coming back for another season though and should be an even better QB by the time he does declare.

ya but a year to learn in a pro system at 20 could be fantastic

is jamis winston eligible next year or is he still dead set on being bo jackson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Go for JD Clowney. No.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mariota is no where near as polished as Bridgewater. I'd have been surprised if he went #1 ahead of him. Stranger things have happened though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ideally these are some of the guys I would like to see come in, I dont think all will be on the board when our picks come around unfortunately

DL - Ra'Shede Hageman
    DL - Louis Nix (based primarily on my question marks over Wilfork now)
    TE - CJ Fiedorowicz, a mountain of a TE, 6'7, would be good for the blocking as well being a receiver
    WR - Davante Adams, he isnt the quickest, but he is very good in contested catch situations and I would prefer him to a high priced FA
    CB - Keith McGill, has the size to cover and although he has flaws, he could be got late in the 5th or 6th round I feel representing value

Thos I have identified right now, there will be more to come obviously and I think the OL needs attention this off season. Protecting Brady has got to be a big focus this coming year.

I like some others but I am going to have to re watch some games and stats before I put them up there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Went through a 7 round mock on fanspeak for the 49ers now that we know the draft order,

Results as below:

First Round
    30th CB JUSTIN GILBERT OKLAHOMA STATE

Second Round:
    56 WR JORDAN MATTHEWS VANDERBILT
    61 S JIMMIE WARD NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Third Round
    77 C BRYAN STORK FLORIDA STATE
    94 ILB MAX BULLOUGH MICHIGAN STATE

Fourth Round
    125 G BRANDON LINDER MIAMI

Fifth Round
    158 QB TAJH BOYD CLEMSON

Sixth Round
    189 WR TEVIN REESE BAYLOR

Seventh Round
    219 CB BENE BENWIKERE SAN JOSE STATE
    220 K CHRIS BOSWELL RICE
    222 DE BEN GARDNER STANFORD

Thoughts?

Addressed the top 3 needs as of now first, WR, CB and Safety. Also went with a Centre as goodwin is likely to retire. Started throwing darts thereafter. ILB as Bowman is liley to miss time next season and depth will be required, Guard as depth is needed and Iupati has just one year left, took a flyer on Boyd in the 5th round, need a developmental QB!, Reese seems pretty quick as a WR , then went with another CB from San Jose and DE from Stanford, and a Kicker as Dawson is currently a free agent also.

Jordan Matthews could be badly underrated because he is not a burner. He could well be the best pro of this bunch of WR's.

Some fall for Tadh Boyd. He was being talked as a potential 1st rounder at one point.
    By all accounts Bullough was badly out of shape at the senior bowl. Could knock his draft stock if he doesn't rectify things by the combine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Isnt it the weirdest thing when someone has thanked your post, then unthanked it?

Thanks arent something many posters post for Im sure and they honestly wouldnt make a blind bit of difference to me, I have always just found it puzzling that after thanking a post, you would go to the bother of unthanking it again.

sorry for off topic, just came in to see the new post and noticed it had happened in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

kryogen wrote: »
    Isnt it the weirdest thing when someone has thanked your post, then unthanked it?

Thanks arent something many posters post for Im sure and they honestly wouldnt make a blind bit of difference to me, I have always just found it puzzling that after thanking a post, you would go to the bother of unthanking it again.

sorry for off topic, just came in to see the new post and noticed it had happened in this thread :)

I often accidentally report posts (well push the report button) when posting on the phone because of the size of the screen!

So I'd say they may have accidentally thanked the post and then unthanked it!

Alternatively the person is ****in with your mind!

kryogen wrote: »

It was me sorry. I thanked it & had long reply wrote about the guys you had mentioned & then the page refreshed & i lost it, so thought it was weird to thank & not reply!! In my defense it was late & i was tired!!

Not screwing with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It was me sorry. I thanked it & had long reply wrote about the guys you had mentioned & then the page refreshed & i lost it, so thought it was weird to thank & not reply!! In my defense it was late & i was tired!!

Not screwing with you

There's an extension for Chrome called Lazarus (if you use Chrome, that is), and it temporarily saves anything written into text boxes.

So, if a page refreshes, crashes, or you hit back, or whatever, you go back as normal, only click a little icon on the top right of the text box, and it lists all your most recent text blocks and fills it in for you again.

Now, I've explained that fairly horribly, but you get the gist I hope :D

Knex. wrote: »
    There's an extension for Chrome called Lazarus (if you use Chrome, that is), and it temporarily saves anything written into text boxes.

So, if a page refreshes, crashes, or you hit back, or whatever, you go back as normal, only click a little icon on the top right of the text box, and it lists all your most recent text blocks and fills it in for you again.

Now, I've explained that fairly horribly, but you get the gist I hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just checking, and it actually is available for Safari and Firefox.

http://getlazarus.com/download

Now, I'm not sure will the extension work on an iPad. I know that Chrome extensions do not, for example, and that runs off the Safari Engine when on Apple Products, so most likely it won't. But worth a shot anyway.

Combine starts Feb22nd (weigh-ins prob day or two earlier)

Here is a list of invites

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323950/article/draft-prospects-invited-to-2014-nfl-scouting-combine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The NFL announces its "compensatory picks" around the end of arch usually.

These are awarded to teams who lost more in Free Agency than they gained the year before. Picks are awarded from the 3rd to the 7th round and are always at the end of the round.

Comp picks cannot be traded.

While they won't be officially out until next month, the below link has a shot at predicting them. The guy has a good track record getting most of them right last season.

Take a look.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

He predicts a 4th round pick for the 49ers, which would mean 12 picks in the draft, including 3 in the 7th round.

Oh a 5th rounder would be a bit of a boost for Giants as we reportedly gave away our 7th round pick to Pantherst to get Jon Beason (nice bit of work there)

Will Texas really draft a black QB.?

5f600f89_Not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Take a look.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

He predicts a 4th round pick for the 49ers, which would mean 12 picks in the draft, including 3 in the 7th round.

Two 4's and two 5's for the Ravens.

Ozzie Newsome likes this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A comp 5th rounder for Ed Reed?

Not bad at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

5f600f89_Not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Just saying its a pretty conservative fan base. Texas isn't exactly the most the most liberal state. I think the largely white, republican conservative fans would prefer Johnny Football or Blake Bortles to lead them over a Teddy bridgewater

Advertisement