Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raider won't take a QB at #5.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Raider won't take a QB at #5.

What are your thoughts on what the Raiders do, Chucky? I'm starting to lean towards Watkins if they don't take a QB but then again I think the Rams might end up taking him at #2.

Very hard to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paully D wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on what the Raiders do, Chucky? I'm starting to lean towards Watkins if they don't take a QB but then again I think the Rams might end up taking him at #2.

Very hard to call.

I think they're first aim will be to trade down. After that it's obviously depended on who is there. Watkins has certainly been mentioned a lot by fans. I definitely think it's possible. Mack and Barr could both be possibilities to but don't really fit a 4-3 unless we try them in a Von Miller type role. Personally I'm not really sure who I want at 5, trade down would be ideal or Teddy. I''ll cry if we draft any QB at 5 though.

Nolan Nawrocki is off again. That's when we really know draft time has begun :pac:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326191/article/johnny-manziel-leads-most-controversial-prospects-in-14-nfl-draft
    Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel
    Nawrocki's take: Suspect intangibles -- not a leader by example or known to inspire by his words. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance seeking out the bright lights of Hollywood. Is known to party too much and is drawn to all the trappings of the game. ... Has defied the odds and proven to be a great college-system quarterback, but still must prove he is willing to work to be great, adjust his hard-partying, Hollywood lifestyle and be able to inspire his teammates by more than his playmaking ability.

South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney
    Nawrocki's take: Lacks discipline on and off the field and has had to be managed closely since he arrived on campus. Needs to learn what it means to be a pro. Plays in spurts and is too much of a flash player -- does not consistently dominate like he could. Is still immature and finding his way -- too much of a follower.

Oregon TE Colt Lyerla
    Nawrocki's take: Overly emotional and prone to outbursts following a dysfunctional childhood that offered little direction and much confusion related to a divorce. Not a disciplined team player. ... Has overcome a lot of adversity stemming back to his youth and defied the odds to become an impactful performer. Talent grades could garner interest in the second round, but past history could easily knock him down several rounds and off many draft boards.

South Carolina CB Victor Hampton
    Nawrocki's take: Character will require careful evaluation -- has been troubled by a number of off-field issues dating back to high school, when he attended four different schools. Has had issues with anger management, emotional outbursts and team suspensions. Will be targeted for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties given tendency to talk and taunt. ... Size and physicality will appeal to teams, though character concerns will cloud his draft status and could knock him off some draft boards. Will require close monitoring and has bust potential.

LSU RB Jeremy Hill
    Nawrocki's take: Character, maturity and stability must be investigated thoroughly -- has two criminal incidents on his record and is on probation until July, 2015. ... Big, thickly built, athletic slasher with an overinflated sense of his abilities and character red flags, which could cause some teams to shy away.

Alabama OLB Adrian Hubbard
    Nawrocki's take: Has a quirky personality, inflated opinion of his ability and carries a sense of entitlement that could be difficult to manage and require a patient positional coach. ... Has starter traits, but has yet to reach the impact level he thinks he makes.

Texas WR Mike Davis
    Nawrocki's take: Inadequate on-field body language and temperament -- is usually at the back of the line in practice drills and does not exhibit urgency in his play or leadership traits in the locker room. ... Displays starter-caliber physical traits, yet his playing demeanor and approach turn off many evaluators and could force his draft status to sink.

Florida DE Ronald Powell
    Nawrocki's take: Had his tires pumped since high school -- entitlement was an issue as a young player and his personality could rub some people the wrong way. ... Has developmental value as a stand-up rush linebacker, but must dedicate himself to the craft and realize he's no longer the big man on campus.

Western Kentucky DB Jonathan Dowling
    Nawrocki's take: Talks too much and shows off-putting body language. Questionable mental toughness. Thinks he's better than he is. Character, maturity and coachability should be looked into.

Alabama State RB Isaiah Crowell
    Nawrocki's take: Beats to the tune of his own drummer. Extremely immature and has a history of off-field issues. Can be difficult to coach.

Transcript from Mayock's marathon 2 and a half hour conference call last night available from the below:

http://nflcommunications.com/2014/02/18/transcript-of-nfl-network-analyst-mike-mayocks-2014-nfl-scouting-combine-conference-call-tuesday-february-18/

Cracking effort from Mike. There were 30 questions left at one stage and the moderator tried to end the call but Mike refused and said he wanted to answer everyones question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

this may be in the above link but mayock said this is one of the stronger classes hes covered

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/2/19/5425152/2014-nfl-draft-class-mike-mayock-best

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

It’s a great, great read. Could have done with a better range of questions, a lot of very franchise/college specific ones.

I’d listen to Mayock through May if I could though, scary depth of knowledge.

Schedule for the combine:

http://www.nflcombine.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/general_player_schedule_2014.pdf

OL and TE bench press on Friday, workouts and skills on Saturday
    QB, WR, RB bench press on Saturday, workouts and skills on Sunday
    DL bench press on Sunday, workouts and skills on Monday
    DB bench press on Monday, workouts and skills on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The transcript of Mayock call is a cracking read, well worth going through

Not much work was done this morning! ;)

Take the Wonderlic test lads:

http://www.nfldraftgeek.com/takethewonderlictest.html

I only got 40 completed before time ran out and wasn't really expecting to do well as the types of questions asked in such a test (problem-solving for the most part) aren't my strong point to say the least.

I got 22, the same as Tim Tebow.

Also, here's a recap of how the weigh-ins went for the O-linemen and TE's at the combine today:

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014weighinOL.php
    The consensus top-rated offensive lineman, Texas A&M left tackle Jake Matthews, checked in at 6-foot-5, 308-pounds with 33 3/8-inch arms. The height and weight are good numbers, and Matthews should have the ability to gain 10 pounds once he enters an NFL strength and conditioning program. His arms are a little short of ideal, but that shouldn't hold him back as a pro. It was good for Matthews that he didn't measure in smaller than his listed measurements from Texas A&M (6-5, 305).

Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson (6-5, 332) checked in 12 pounds heavier than his listed weight and at the exact height. As long as the extra weight isn't bad weight, Robinson should excel in the Combine drills because he has shown a rare combination of size and speed. With 35-inch arms, Robinson has the length block the edge as well. There are already projections of him passing Matthews as the first tackle selected, and that could become more common after the Combine.

There are some who believe that Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio could rise up draft boards from the Combine. Kouandjio is a good athlete with nearly ideal measurements. At the weigh-in, he checked in at 6-foot-6, 322-pounds with long 35 5/8-inch arms. Kouandjio has the strength and athleticism to be a star in the Combine field work. Don't be surprised if he is a hot prospect in a week's time.

Both of the Tennessee offensive tackles showed excellent size at the weigh-in. Left tackle Antonio Richardson (6-6, 336) and right tackle Ju'wuan James (6-6, 311) both have 35-inch arms. Richardson enters the Combine as a potential first-round pick, while James could go early on Day 2.

Michigan left tackle Taylor Lewan measured out as 6-foot-7 and 309 pounds. Those are good numbers that are nearly identical to Eric Fisher (6-7, 306) last year. The only bad number for Lewan was short arms at 33 7/8 inches. Lewan looks steady as the third-rated offensive tackle in this draft class.

Stanford guard David Yankey (6-5, 315), who has 34-inch arms, has just about quality numbers for a guard. He should fit as a man or zone blocker in the NFL. If Yankey has a strong Combine, he could put himself in contention to be a late first-round pick.

Xavier Su'a-Filo (6-4, 307) definitely fits the body type of a guard. He played both tackle and guard at UCLA, but for the NFL, he would be best on the inside. The Bruins listed u'a-Filo at 6-foot-5, 315 pounds, so he's a little smaller than advertised. That only serves to reinforce the move to the inside.

USC center Marcus Martin (6-3, 320) is very heavy for a center. If he can show quickness and athletic ability in the field drills, that could help give his stock a boost. If Martin proves to be a slow plodder, he may have to move inside to guard.

Two tackles are in the running to be this year's Justin Pugh. He was a first-round pick of the Giants in the 2013 NFL Draft after being an undersized left tackle for Syracuse. Notre Dame's Zack Martin (6-4, 308) and Nevada's Joel Bitonio (6-4, 302) are nearly identical in size. Martin has very short arms, 32 7/8 inches, but that didn't hold him back in an excellent 2013 season or Senior Bowl performance. If Martin and Bitonio perform well at the Combine, they could solidify a first-round and second-day grade, respectively.

North Carolina left tackle James Hurst was significantly smaller than what the Tar Heels listed him at. Hurst was (6-5, 296) was two inches shorter and almost 15 pounds lighter than what North Carolina billed him as (6-7, 310). His arm length, 33 3/4 inches, is on the short side for tackles. Hurst broke his left leg in the Tar Heels' bowl game against Cincinnati, so he won't be a full participant in the Combine. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that they were projecting Hurst to the third round, but slipping to Day 3 is possible as Hurst has the body type more like a guard than a tackle.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014weighinTE.php
    North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron (6-4, 250) has added five pounds of muscle from his listed weight. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that Ebron is going to put on a show at the Combine. He is a gifted athlete, so that isn't hard to believe, and it wouldn't be surprising if Ebron is getting plenty of top-10 buzz after his workout in Indianapolis.

Texas Tech tight end Jace Amaro (6-5, 265) has good size, but was tied for the smallest hands of any tight end with Wisconsin's Jacob Pedersen. That shouldn't hurt Amaro significantly has he showed consistent hands with 106 receptions in 2013.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins has looked like a size, speed freak since his freshman season at Washington. He checked in at 6-foot-5, 262-pounds, which was just a tad smaller than his listed numbers (6-6, 266). It wouldn't be surprising if Seferian-Jenkins plays his NFL career around 270 since he dropped some weight for the Combine in an effort to help his 40 time.

Last summer, there were projections that Colt Lyerla would be the top tight end for the 2014 NFL Draft. Lyerla (6-4, 242) quit Oregon's football team in September and followed that up with a drug arrest. His size was in line with his listed measurements, and Lyerla is a good athlete who should stand out at the Combine. The big challenge for him will be in the interview rooms. Lylerla needs to impress there to get drafted.

Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas (6-6, 270) hit his exact measurements, so no Catholic needs to confess to lying in confessional when it comes to measuring their football players. Niklas is a bit of sleeper behind the high-profile tight ends, but he could easily impress at the Combine.

USC tight end Xavier Grimble (6-4, 257) is another player who has the skill set to be a Combine star. Grimble has the speed and strength to impress in the field work. In a great class of tight ends, Grimble could be a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Rushed through it and got a 39 from 48 (or 49, not sure if the last one went through) but I'd say a fair few seconds were lost clicking submit and loading the next question, as well as a few from accidentally clicking on an ad. I thought you just got the questions on a list, and you could just ignore the first few hard ones (I swear I just clicked a random option for 5 of them when I realised I was going slowly) and come back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Johnny Football measured in at 5ft 11.

HigginsJ wrote: »

Cowboys have scheduled an interview with him too. Strange for them to do so when he'll be gone off the board before they pick and it wastes one of their 60 allotted interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Two Girls One Klopp

36 from 42. Quite happy with that. I ain't dumb! Would have broke 40 if I hadn't wasted time on the really hard ones at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Paully D wrote: »
    Cowboys have scheduled an interview with him too. Strange for them to do so when he'll be gone off the board before they pick and it wastes one of their 60 allotted interviews.

Teams routinely interview potential key players just to add to their dossier on that player for the future, be it playing against them or acquiring them. Due diligence also comes to mind in this instance.

Where else can you interview the starting QB of a team you may face next season?

Average wonderlic scores per position from yahoo sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/average-nfl-wonderlic-scores-by-position-slideshow/

Offensive tackle 26
    Center 25
    Quarterback 24
    Guard 23
    Tight End 22
    Safety 19
    Linebacker 19
    Cornerback 18
    Wide receiever 17
    Fullback 17
    Halfback 16

It doesn't give defensive linemen for some reason.

Not entirely shocking. Offensive linemen and quarterbacks have topped these tests for years

Only perfect score of 50 was Pat McInally, a punter with the Bengals back in the 70's.

Ryan Fitzpatrick QB got 48. Well he did go to Harvard......

Vince Young got 4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Had a good laugh with the Wonderlic.

Only got 38 answered, Scored a 25 the same as Big Ben :P

I'm smarter then the average QB :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just came across this piece on him. He's a clever young buck getting advice and support from 'The Man'.
    Manziel is a man in demand these days, and it turns out he's relied on Tom Brady for advice during the pre-draft process.

"For him to reach back out to me after I sent a text message to him was extremely cool," Manziel said of their communication. "[It was] kind of a really funny conversation at first, [then we] worked our way into a more serious conversation.

"But it was really nice," he continued. "I'm very thankful for him to be able to extend a hand out to me in the situation that I'm in."

Manziel noted that Brady's biggest advice was to simply enjoy the process. He also passed along a funny exchange between the two quarterbacks.

He said that Brady once joked, "If I teach him to run like I can, he'll do anything in the world for me. It was pretty funny coming from him."

Brady, never fleet of foot, ran a 5.28 forty back at the 2000 combine.

Manziel is expected to run, well, much faster than that
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Do Broncos think about getting Manning's successor this year or is Brock enough for them?

Raf32 wrote: »
    Do Broncos think about getting Manning's successor this year or is Brock enough for them?

I would doubt it very much that they would draft a QB. They have plenty of needs & are in a "win now" situation

• Advertisement

Teddy Bridgewater weighed in at 214lbs. By all accounts he has been hitting the weights room pretty hard since declaring. Passing on this guy as the No. 1 pick is just madness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Raf32 wrote: »

They took Brock Osweiler to develop. They've been crowing about him this past year so it's highly unlikely they'll spend a high pick on a QB. At most if a QB they like falls they get them as a body to compete with Osweiler but he won't be made a heir apparent.

Teddy Bridgewater weighed in at 214lbs. By all accounts he has been hitting the weights room pretty hard since declaring. Passing on this guy as the No. 1 pick is just madness

I'd agree with that.

Mentally, in terms of the stuff that can't really be taught (reading defenses, blitzes, etc) he's a mile ahead of the other prospects too. He just really, "gets it" is probably the phrase I'm looking for.

That said, I don't think he goes in and automatically turns a franchise into a contender straight away but given time and a bit of patience he has all the potential in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I don't get what the big deal is. How is being 5'11.75 and not 6'0 a deciding factor. Were talking a quarter inch here. 0.6 cm. Ridiculous argument to make against him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He's taller than Russell Wilson. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really think Jordan Matthews is the second best receiver in this draft. If there is anyway he falls to the Colts, I hope they take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

At yesterday's Combine, North Carolina's Center Russell Bodine banged out a phenomenal 42 reps on the Bench Press.

Pat O'Donnell punter
    6' 4" 220lbs
    23 reps on bench press
    4.62 40 time

The guy is a beast :cool:

To my uneducated eye Cyrus Kouandjio the Alabama left tackle looked awkward during the drills

He got ripped by Mayock later

Widely mocked as a first round pick

A player who did well and got some praise from Shaun O'Hara is Gabe Ikhard guard/center from Oklahoma Sooners

6' 3"
    303lbs
    5.06 40 time
    Widely projected for rounds 5 - 7

• Advertisement

Laser activated timers on the 10yd and 40yd lines giving results to the hundredth of a second.

And yet up in the stands are coaches with stopwatches wanting to do it themselves. Very old school and a tad bizarre imo

Advertisement