Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

projectgtr wrote: »
    Are peoples apps auto updating to 1.7 or are they downloading the APK?

Downloading,update is in the link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

jeffk wrote: »
    Mine auto updated

Is your device on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

jeffk wrote: »
    Mine auto updated

Weird, mines on 1.5.5, I uninstalled and reinstalled but its still on 1.5.5, might just grab the apk

naughto wrote: »
    Downloading,update is in the link

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Just had a look and I seem to be on 1.7.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

naughto wrote: »
    Is your device on the list?
    No I have a Huawei G510.

Ill check now and see if I have the mirroring option.

No mirroring option on my phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Working great on my Nexus 5. Tried RTE Player last night and it wasn't HD quality but it was definitely watchable. Was browsing on Google Chrome and that was working fine too. Almost no lag. Did any try SkyGo? Forgot to try it last night. Would love for that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Speaking of RTE plaer...please go to the Play Store and leave a comment there for RTE to impliment native Chromecast support (now that it's official in Ireland) and refer them to the BBC's iPlayer for inspiration. It is much better native than using mirroring (battery drain must be savage as it's all going over the phone which doesn't happen when casting natively)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

My ChromeCast app still says its version is 1.5.5 but I can screencast to my ChromeCast. Never updated or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Anyone tried mirroring Mobdro yet with the newest update? I know they are due to add native Chromecast support but would like to be able to use this as a short term fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Anyone tried mirroring Mobdro yet with the newest update? I know they are due to add native Chromecast support but would like to be able to use this as a short term fix.
    Tried it last night. Wasn't great and kept stopping. Sound was brutal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CinSoots wrote: »
    Tried it last night. Wasn't great and kept stopping. Sound was brutal as well.

That's a pity! Seems to be taking ages for support to be added to the app.

Ok just got in the door and tried out the new update

-Google Earth (was dying to try this out spent ages on it worked pretty flawless)
    -Gallery
    -Games (tried CSR Racing dumb ways to die and the walking dead, all ran perfect bar TWD which visually ran good but no sound)
    -Mobdro (tried a few shows and it ran perfect with perfect lip sync , i didnt think it would at all )

Only thing that caused a hiccup was starting a tour on google earth it ran perfect until it stuttered and forced closed, i reopened it and it played it fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

projectgtr wrote: »
    Ok just got in the door and tried out the new update

-Google Earth (was dying to try this out spent ages on it worked pretty flawless)
    -Gallery
    -Games (tried CSR Racing dumb ways to die and the walking dead, all ran perfect bar TWD which visually ran good but no sound)
    -Mobdro (tried a few shows and it ran perfect with perfect lip sync , i didnt think it would at all )

Only thing that caused a hiccup was starting a tour on google earth it ran perfect until it stuttered and forced closed, i reopened it and it played it fine

Which Mobdro version?? I got 1.1.41??

No Chromecast support that I can see, its the latest from 1Mobile.

Is there a newer version??

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm in the US now and thinking of picking one of these up in best buy. I assume there will be no problems using a US one in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm in the US now and thinking of picking one of these up in best buy. I assume there will be no problems using a US one in Ireland?

Yep it will work just fine.

Which Mobdro version?? I got 1.1.41??

No Chromecast support that I can see, its the latest from 1Mobile.

Is there a newer version??

The version is. 1.1.141, there is no cast option, I simply opened the Chromecast app and cast my screen then opened mobdro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭corkie

For anyone who can not wait for official support from google.

[EXPERIMENTAL] Enable Mirroring from any rooted device

MirrorEnabler-v2.apk <<<< Link to app required to enable mirroring
    Edit: - Update the above link to version 2 of the app, that Removed requirement for sqlite3 binary installation.

Tested with my Nexus 7 (2012) and this enables mirroring using the chromcast app. (Doesn't enable using the option from display).

Your device needs to be rooted, not your chromecast.
    I believe the mirroring functionality requires KitKat, too.

I got mixed results, images in a game got distorted every now an then.
    Tested Working:
    (Aside from the officially supported devices)
    ASUS PadFone 2
    Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    Sony Xperia Z
    Sony Xperia Z1
    Sony Xperia Z2
    Sony Xperia ZL
    Sony Z Ultra
    HTC Droid DNA
    HTC One M8 (Including GPE)
    Motorola Moto X
    Motorola Moto G
    Samsung Note 8 Tab
    Samsung Note Pro 12.2 Tab
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
    Nexus 7 2012
    Oppo Find 7
    Oppo Find 7a
    OnePlus One
    LG GPad 8.3
    LG G2 Mini
    LG G Flex
    NVIDIA SHIELD

Mixed Reports:
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Tested Not Working:
    HTC EVO 3D
    Galaxy Nexus
    Most older devices

What cool things are people using the mirroring for?

Regards

John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I just got the update for my HTC One (M7) Google Play Edition.

Wont be able to test until Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

I got the update for the app and also see the cast screen in the quick settings (I'm on stock Nexus 4).

When I try to cast via quick settings I get a message "Casting screen to Chromecast failed" - when I try via the app it says Connecting and then Disconnecting. The TV blinks like it's trying to receive a signal but then back to the main background....anyone else having similar issues?

Edit;Just tried on my wife's HTC and same issue - so must be the Chromecase - it's a US one with FW vers: 15250

• Advertisement

dec2000 wrote: »
    I got the update for the app and also see the cast screen in the quick settings (I'm on stock Nexus 4).

When I try to cast via quick settings I get a message "Casting screen to Chromecast failed" - when I try via the app it says Connecting and then Disconnecting. The TV blinks like it's trying to receive a signal but then back to the main background....anyone else having similar issues?

Edit;Just tried on my wife's HTC and same issue - so must be the Chromecase - it's a US one with FW vers: 15250

See if you can force an update by factory reseting your chromecast, latest version 17250 (what I have).

It needs to be at that version for mirroring support!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

corkie wrote: »
    See if you can force an update by factory reseting your chromecast, latest version 17250 (what I have).

It needs to be at that version for mirroring support!

Thanks, saw that after I posted. Factory reset and left it connected so hopefully it picks up the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That new update is brilliant, being able to mirror the likes of mobdro really does add to the device.

Still haven't watched a complete movie using chromecast but noticed how hot the device gets only after about 10 minutes of use, I've tried using it on two different types of tv and the results are the same.

Anyone notice how hot it gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That new update is brilliant, being able to mirror the likes of mobdro really does add to the device.

Still haven't watched a complete movie using chromecast but noticed how hot the device gets only after about 10 minutes of use, I've tried using it on two different types of tv and the results are the same.

The chromecast has a giant lump of solid aluminum heat sink in it running the full length of the logo side. It's supposed to get warm but as the device is hidden away and you don't touch and rarely end up moving it, it doesn't really matter it gets warm.

If you check on You Tube, there is an English guy who modified the Chromecast in two ways, first he added an external antenna, and secondly, changed the heat sink, which seems to be pretty badly installed from what I saw. He replaced it with something with cooling fins and a better heatsink. Kinda fiddly and there is soldering, cutting, etc involved....I think I'll leave mine and wait and see...

I'll get a link if you want, but its easily found on YT.

I agree, it runs pretty hot, but other sites say no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

What exactly are people watching on this app? I see a few sports channels and movies, but what's the favourites/hidden gems?

Oh, and is there any channels with some how the father, wink wink;)

If you check on You Tube, there is an English guy who modified the Chromecast in two ways, first he added an external antenna, and secondly, changed the heat sink, which seems to be pretty badly installed from what I saw. He replaced it with something with cooling fins and a better heatsink. Kinda fiddly and there is soldering, cutting, etc involved....I think I'll leave mine and wait and see...

I'll get a link if you want, but its easily found on YT.

I agree, it runs pretty hot, but other sites say no problem.

A bit of an overkill hack, my chromecast seems to run fine as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What exactly are people watching on this app? I see a few sports channels and movies, but what's the favourites/hidden gems?

Oh, and is there any channels with some how the father, wink wink;)

Nothing too exciting just netflix, youtube, filmon and Mobdro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Nothing too exciting just netflix, youtube, filmon and Mobdro.

No I meant mobdro, what's on it worth watching channel wise?

• Advertisement

No I meant mobdro, what's on it worth watching channel wise?

IMO, it's pretty crap, and a lot of streams not available, etc....

most stuff can be got in a better way, if it's movies and shows you are looking for....used in conjunction with Bubble UPnP or All Cast, etc.

like I said:

I could show people, but I might get a box from the mods, prolly will now!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement