Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

niallo32 wrote: »
    Have a fully patched Chromecast working fine from a laptop.

I've installed the premium version of Avia media player, Chromecast app & Showbox on my Kindle Fire.

In the Chromecast app the on the KF, the connection to the Chromecast varies from 'Ready to cast' to 'No Chromecasts found on networkxyz'

I've rebooted the KF several times - no joy

Has anyone had the same issue?

Cheers..

I think Chromecast needs Google Play Services API which is built in to Android to work which isn't found in forked Android tablets. I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to get Chromecast working on Amazon tablets or the new Nokia X phones because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Dudda wrote: »
    I think Chromecast needs Google Play Services API which is built in to Android to work which isn't found in forked Android tablets. I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to get Chromecast working on Amazon tablets or the new Nokia X phones because of this.

Chromecast works for ios so I don't think that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

niallo32 wrote: »
    Have a fully patched Chromecast working fine from a laptop.

I've installed the premium version of Avia media player, Chromecast app & Showbox on my Kindle Fire.

In the Chromecast app the on the KF, the connection to the Chromecast varies from 'Ready to cast' to 'No Chromecasts found on networkxyz'

I've rebooted the KF several times - no joy

Has anyone had the same issue?

Cheers..

Google Play Services needs to be 4.2+. This version got released around 1 month ago.
    What version of GPS are you running on the tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

groom wrote: »
    Google Play Services needs to be 4.2+. This version got released around 1 month ago.
    What version of GPS are you running on the tablet?

Tablet is at home so will check - it's probably an old version as WiFi was only turned on for the first time yesterday in six months as I'd only been using it as a e-reader

Will try update GPS and post back

Thanks to all for the replies.

Am making progress!

Can choose to cast to the Chromecast and I the Avia media player on screen on the tv. Kindle Fire continually tells me that Google play services has stopped - am looking for Google Framework services to install - if anyone knows how to help please post!

• Advertisement

Working perfect after a few reboots - excellent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭corkie

Videostream now works with Chrome Canary On Windows 7

See reddit post by the developer here.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Any sign of this being launched in the UK?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Any sign of this being launched in the UK?

There was rumors of March 1st for Curry's in the uk to have them, but that has proved incorrect see here

On another note, some old news, Chrome Beta for android now has chromecast support for videos.

Which is buggy, and though I got the cast Icon when i visited here, the video only buffered for me and never played.

Edit: I was able to cast a youtube video once I made it full-screen.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Don't know if it's been mentioned here but Solid Explorer now has Chromecast support. It's a file explorer but also lets you stream local media straight to the Chromecast. Was trying it yesterday and it worked flawlessly. By all accounts it's an excellent general file explorer as well, the only real competition to ES. 14 days trial then 2 dollars for a full license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

No they don't work just look good ,:rolleyes: Of course they work , Just take your time and set it up and you will be happy

Patww79 wrote: »

You can play mp4 video files on android, using apps like Avia , Allcast (both required purchases) or localcast (free - haven't tried it).

On windows see my previous post about videostream.

A full list of supported apps can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know of a way to get the main live news channels like BBC, Sky, CNN, Al Jazeera etc. playing on Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know of a way to get the main live news channels like BBC, Sky, CNN, Al Jazeera etc. playing on Chromecast?

Now that would be sweet ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

madmoe wrote: »
    Now that would be sweet ;-)

Buy a Roku box and use the playto app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Have they got desktop/mobile mirroring on it again? That's what would sell it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Have they got desktop/mobile mirroring on it again? That's what would sell it to me.

Yeh there is a cast entire screen option that it says is experimental but I found worked pretty well.

• Advertisement

Chromecast launching in the UK on Wednesday March 19th. In Curry's.

I like where the screenshot says the Item is protect under a NDA, and not to be discussed outside the Dixon group.

No Currys Discussion board here anymore to ask if it will be available here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

£30 on PC world UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can we assume DSG stores in Ireland will carry this too?

If not can we use PM to order from the UK site?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Can we assume DSG stores in Ireland will carry this too?

If not can we use PM to order from the UK site?

A rumor post on reddit that they have them in a galway store, but not ready for sale yet.

On another note, what looks like a cool app:- Google PhotoWall for Chromecast.

Available on iOS, Chrome Extension and Android

I haven't a use or need for it myself but others might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I bought one without checking out how it works, and it looks like it's no good to me as I don't have a wifi router to use with it. Doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

You can cast the live camera feed from your phone with EZcast in the market. I'm sure people can think of some interesting ways to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I got a chromecast from friend. I set it up and watched Netflix on my TV.
    When I went to watch something later there was no cast icon on my phone or iPad even though it says cast away on my TV screen.
    Any ideas? I don't have a USB port on my TV. Also I don't have the plug that comes with the chromecast so I'm using an iPhone one.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

iggy wrote: »
    I got a chromecast from friend. I set it up and watched Netflix on my TV.
    When I went to watch something later there was no cast icon on my phone or iPad even though it says cast away on my TV screen.
    Any ideas? I don't have a USB port on my TV. Also I don't have the plug that comes with the chromecast so I'm using an iPhone one.
    Cheers

Are both the ipad and ccast on the same wifi network?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement