Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

When you want to watch a movie or TV show then I would recommend you get the popcorn to keep you happy as its pop corn time when I want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Tried to mirror the Rte player, the picture was terrible. I wish Rte would use a better bit rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

irishgeo wrote: »
    Tried to mirror the Rte player, the picture was terrible. I wish Rte would use a better bit rate.

Unable to decypher this one.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

irishgeo wrote: »
    I wish they'd just support chromecast natively like iPlayer does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

When you want to watch a movie or TV show then I would recommend you get the popcorn to keep you happy as its pop corn time when I want to do that.

when I watch movies its def time to have some popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Just noticed Chromecast is now on the irish play store for €39.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Ahhhhhhhh i love popcorn and i have time , always have time for popcon mmmmmmm tastey popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really liking the screen mirroring, works surprisingly well with a few illegal and explicit items ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

got a chromecast there recently and was trying to use it with bubbleupnp to play films and the like on it. But it takes forever to load up and most often than not doesnt come on at all. I can get the screen mirroring working fine, and youtube, but playing the video on bubbleupnp didnt get going at all. Tried playing a podcast too on podcast addict, and that too was taking ages to load and eventually just died. I tried allcast, and that worked but it seems you only get a preview and have to buy the full version? plus the organisation of folders is awful on it, just lumps everything into the one folder

any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bruschi wrote: »
    got a chromecast there recently and was trying to use it with bubbleupnp to play films and the like on it. But it takes forever to load up and most often than not doesnt come on at all. I can get the screen mirroring working fine, and youtube, but playing the video on bubbleupnp didnt get going at all. Tried playing a podcast too on podcast addict, and that too was taking ages to load and eventually just died. I tried allcast, and that worked but it seems you only get a preview and have to buy the full version? plus the organisation of folders is awful on it, just lumps everything into the one folder

any suggestions?

Localcast

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

bruschi wrote: »

any suggestions?
    Avia or Plex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I use this for files on my pc and then you can pause/play etc on the android app

http://www.getvideostream.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

Mirroring for rooted kitkat devices.

For those experiencing force closes of Google Play Services while trying to mirror, this new version of the app may solve it.

Link to XDA forum where the app is available.

Version 3 of this app now enables mirroring from Quick Settings and/or Settings-Display-Cast

Edit: The app was update to version 4 to fix a bug for people with audio issues with google music.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Mod Note: Given the nature of Chromecast, it is inevitable that discussion on streaming of illegally obtained movies/shows would appear in this thread. Rather than waste my time deleting/editing such posts and infracting people, I want to make it clear that this is strictly against forum, and indeed Boards, rules and from this moment on any further references to apps that are used for the download or streaming of pirated of illegal content will result in an immediate and permanent ban. This message has been copied to post #1.

You might want to be careful not to mention these apps here as well.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For those of you with a Synology NAS device (that's a network attached storage device), both the DS Video and DS Audio Android and IOS apps are Chromecast enabled, allowing you access to the contents of your NAS drives (that's the drives installed in your NAS device in your own home), wherever you might happen to be with your Chromecast. Here's a blog article on how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I tweeted RTE Player and they got back to me saying no plans yet for Chromecast support but maybe in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

Chromecast Hardware version 17977 now available in Ireland.

My chromecast just updated it's hardware version.

Power cycle your device if you want to update yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

corkie wrote: »

Anything new or different?

Anything new or different?

Chromecast firmware update should be coming to you in the next two weeks; with it, come a few general bug and stability fixes.

Taken from here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Are you talking about Firmware version??

After power-cycling twice, this is what I see:

Screenshot_2014-07-18-20-46-45.png

The f/w version still shows 17250....

Screen casting has been enabled on mine for a little while now.

Should I have f/w ver 17977??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭leche solara

Mine seems to have changed to 17977. Don't know when it happened and don't notice any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I tried Mirror Enabler from xda on my rooted Note2 on stock and I'm very happy with it. I can watch RTE player etc now via chromecast mirroring.
    If anyone wants to give it a try it's here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I tried Mirror Enabler from xda on my rooted Note2 on stock and I'm very happy with it. I can watch RTE player etc now via chromecast mirroring.
    If anyone wants to give it a try it's here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193

How is the quality ??

Are you talking about Firmware version??

After power-cycling twice, this is what I see:

Screenshot_2014-07-18-20-46-45.png

The f/w version still shows 17250....

Screen casting has been enabled on mine for a little while now.

Should I have f/w ver 17977??

I see from your picture that your chromecast is set to US zone.

You only need to be on 17250 or higher for mirroring to work.

If you want a cool puzzle adventure game to try out mirroring with try "XOn Episode 1"

Anyone else done anything cool with mirroring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I see from your picture that your chromecast is set to US zone.

You only need to be on 17250 or higher for mirroring to work.

If you want a cool puzzle adventure game to try out mirroring with try "XOn Episode 1"

Anyone else done anything cool with mirroring?

Yeah, I set to US, as I thought this would help with US Netflix......??

I am also using Smarty DNS, with static routes to by-pass Googles DNS hard-coded in the CC....

I also carried out a factory re-set via the App, and the result was the same as above, after set-up.

I remember when I set up initially, the first thing that happened was a f/w update.

Are any or all of these interfering with the f/w update to 17977??

• Advertisement

Yeah, I set to US, as I thought this would help with US Netflix......??

I am also using Smarty DNS, with static routes to by-pass Googles DNS hard-coded in the CC....

I also carried out a factory re-set via the App, and the result was the same as above, after set-up.

I remember when I set up initially, the first thing that happened was a f/w update.

Are any or all of these interfering with the f/w update to 17977??

How long have you got your chromecast? Has it updated firmware before with your setup?

Blocking google's DNS servers may prevent it from updating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement