Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Can't wait to get my hands on this.
    Have been looking at a load of those plugin hdmi android devices and they all have some limitations, but I think this will suit me perfectly, if I can get my hands on one that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Yeah please god these are readily available , must get on to currys "talk to" section here on boards to see if they will be getting them in :confused: could be another option if the uk play store is too hard to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

DYING for this. Between this and my soon-to-be Xbox One, I'll never have to stand up or use a remote again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

JoePie wrote: »
    DYING for this. Between this and my soon-to-be Xbox One, I'll never have to stand up or use a remote again.

Think you will be needing one of these:
    250px-Lazy_Man_Toilet_Seat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'll be getting a few of these once a Plex client is ready for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

didnt spot the chrome mirroring, now im definitely sold!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

looks appealing. went for an impulse buy. failed. why wont they just let me buy it in ireland :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

one on the way from Amazon via sister in Philly , My Kindle fire recently developed an intermittent charging issue and after a battle Amazon agreed to send a replacement but as I wanted it sent to Ireland instead of philly they had to create a real order and apply a gift voucher to bring the cost to zero , Guess what i cancelled the order and the $280 was sitting as a gift balance , I then bought a nexus 7 , With the balance I have just ordered the chrome cast , BTW the nexus cost $22 to ship from pilly to Ireland ; So thanks Amazon for my free Nexus 7 and Chrome cast , Best of all they allowed me to keep the Kindle Fire so its a Win Win Win Situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭corkie

projectgtr wrote: »
    Yeah please god these are readily available , must get on to currys "talk to" section here on boards to see if they will be getting them in :confused: could be another option if the uk play store is too hard to use.

Get your post up quick, there closing down that Talk to soon

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I want one of these, purely because it is cheap and looks good. The fact that it doesn't handle local media is a major drawback for me though. I use Plex Media Server on a NAS for my downloaded content.

That said the world is moving towards streaming more and more but for me its not just there yet. I want to be able to stream a TV show as soon as it airs and with Netflix and the likes thats not possible.

I think Google have a great little piece of hardware here and for the price, its a steal. I just think for my video needs I require something more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SteM

3 free months netflix with it too for both new and existing customers. That brings the cost of the device works out at about $11!

This might be a good option to push sites that stream football to your TV?

nedd wrote: »
    I want one of these, purely because it is cheap and looks good. The fact that it doesn't handle local media is a major drawback for me though. I use Plex Media Server on a NAS for my downloaded content.

That said the world is moving towards streaming more and more but for me its not just there yet. I want to be able to stream a TV show as soon as it airs and with Netflix and the likes thats not possible.

I think Google have a great little piece of hardware here and for the price, its a steal. I just think for my video needs I require something more.

I would imagine that you will be able to stream from you local plex media server, just like how the google TV, android and ios apps currently do. It would probably not be possible to stream (without some hacking) direct from a local disk drive.

My only concern would be if the wireless device can handle 1080p streaming content. It will be interesting to see how Netflix works at 1080p and what codecs they are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

SteM wrote: »

This might be a good option to push sites that stream football to your TV?

Dunno about that, Chrome notoriously hates flash, could it still be the case with these?

I use a pay to stream site, handles fine with normal Android TV dongles, and it works with my N4, dunno will it on this though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SteM

Fieldog wrote: »
    Dunno about that, Chrome notoriously hates flash, could it still be the case with these?

I use a pay to stream site, handles fine with normal Android TV dongles, and it works with my N4, dunno will it on this though....

Yeah, I know about flash but some of those sites use html 5 though.

Will be interested to see some 'real world' reviews of this thing.

jester77 wrote: »
    I would imagine that you will be able to stream from you local plex media server, just like how the google TV, android and ios apps currently do.

Google Tv uses a plex app that streams the video over the local network. I don't think the Chromecast can handle Local Network.

As you mention using wifi to handle HD video probably won't be the best.

So the Chromecast won't do everything for everybody but for what they are aiming it at it should do a good job, and for that price you can't complain.

If we ever get Google Play Movies here and other streaming apps get integration then it will be a powerful device for some people.

EDIT: I was suppose to say that Chrome for Android doesn't handle Flash but this is not an Android device. It is a Chrome device and I don't think it will have issue with Flash... I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Looks a similar product to the HTC Media Link. I wonder does everything have to pair to it first.

I use the media link a fair bit, especially for YouTube.

Google Tv uses a plex app that streams the video over the local network. I don't think the Chromecast can handle Local Network.

As you mention using wifi to handle HD video probably won't be the best.

So the Chromecast won't do everything for everybody but for what they are aiming it at it should do a good job, and for that price you can't complain.

If we ever get Google Play Movies here and other streaming apps get integration then it will be a powerful device for some people.

EDIT: I was suppose to say that Chrome for Android doesn't handle Flash but this is not an Android device. It is a Chrome device and I don't think it will have issue with Flash... I hope.

Is chromecast not basically a wrapper around the chrome browser?

If so then it should be able to stream from the local plex media server. It's the same as if you log into myplex with your browser. You can stream directly to the browser from the plex server and it is smart enough to know whether your browser is on the same network as your media sever.

it is smart enough to know whether your browser is on the same network as your media sever.

I didn't realise Plex did that. My fear with the Chromecast would be it would try and stream my Plex content out over the web and back in. The wifi thing would be an issue though. I have just installed 500MB homeplugs to my Google TV and the quality of video I get is great.

I didn't realise Plex did that. My fear with the Chromecast would be it would try and stream my Plex content out over the web and back in. The wifi thing would be an issue though. I have just installed 500MB homeplugs to my Google TV and the quality of video I get is great.

It might even work right now as is, just login to myplex in chromecast window. It just won't be very user friendly until the Plex guys develop a nice plugin. Plex is super, the server will transcode video to meet the clients needs, only problem is that this is very CPU intensive on the server. My only issue is what will this stick support hardware wise. If all x264 files need to be transcoded then i will give it a miss, otherwise this could be a super little device that could work from anywhere (once you have a decent internet connection at home).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

Chromcast sounds amazing, cant wait to play. you can play local video files also! Im sure the Plex guys will get it working soon
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25/tip-you-can-play-local-video-files-through-chromecast/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i signed up to netflix, but cancelled after free month cus there wasnt much on there i liked. will i still be able to avail of the 3 free months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

LowOdour wrote: »
    i signed up to netflix, but cancelled after free month cus there wasnt much on there i liked. will i still be able to avail of the 3 free months

Yes you will

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Anyone looking into this thing as a local media player is pretty much barking up the wrong tree, this thing is not designed for that in the slightest. Like I read some people on other forums asking will it play 1080p MKV's, not a chance. 1080p HD over wifi is asking for trouble anyway. This item is aimed at people that just want to be able to play youtube videos on a larger screen or watch Netflix every so often and that's about it. If the price point is the tempting thing for local files just get a Raspberry Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

It might even work right now as is, just login to myplex in chromecast window. It just won't be very user friendly until the Plex guys develop a nice plugin. Plex is super, the server will transcode video to meet the clients needs, only problem is that this is very CPU intensive on the server. My only issue is what will this stick support hardware wise. If all x264 files need to be transcoded then i will give it a miss, otherwise this could be a super little device that could work from anywhere (once you have a decent internet connection at home).

All files will need to be transcoded, the stick itself has no native support of anything. It just uses your phone or computer to watch the video and pipe the video onto the larger screen. It's limited to 720p broadcast of Chrome tabs as well as the sending of everything from the tabs is very very intensive.

This is my main problem with the stick, it's a wonderful idea but it still needs another device to be on and broadcasting video which kinda negates the purpose. I just want something that can run away on it's own without any other thing being on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok I really want one of these. I hear they are sold out everywhere. What's the best way to get one? I have friends in the US so can prob sort that out easy enough. Anyone know where it is for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Is this likely to work with Sky go?

Nah, Sky don't like androids connected via HDMI so they certainly won't like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It may work with the Chrome Tab streaming, but it may not be an ideal solution. There are a few reports that playing local video files from Chrome to Chromecast was a bit laggy. Throwing Silverlight into the mix and it could be worse again. That's if, of course, Slverlight's DRM allow it to be streamed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok I really want one of these. I hear they are sold out everywhere. What's the best way to get one? I have friends in the US so can prob sort that out easy enough. Anyone know where it is for sale?
    I believe BestBuy are going to be selling the device, so popping into one of their stores may be the best bet. I would say Amazon, but their delivery dates for it have shot up to 3-4 weeks. Stock seems to be going very fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement