Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Has anyone tried a Miracast dongle such as this one for £16.75 and can say how it compares to the Chromecast?

I know that there are technical differences in how the two operate such as the Miracast dongle needing to be continuously paired with the phone whereas Chromecast doesn't, but I don't think that would be a big issue for me.

The Miracast dongle seems to be a straight forward mirroring device and from the demos I've seen on YouTube looks to work well but are there any drawbacks to it's low price?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

redscan wrote: »
    Is it working well? Any lag on the videos? Still debating whether I should just get a Slimport cable instead of a Chromecast!

I haven't really put it through a long play test.

But it streamed music and a simpsons episode that I downloaded from showbox fine.

My only calms about avia is it doesn't play files with .ts extensions, allot of my movies are record off a saorview box. Hopefully MX player might have support for chromecast soon.

It stream the episode better than casting the chrome tab showing the episode on my laptop.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have not used Plex but if chromecast now supports it can you use it to play movies downloaded on my pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Zascar wrote: »
    I have not used Plex but if chromecast now supports it can you use it to play movies downloaded on my pc?

Yes, you currently have to pay a monthly subscription to be able to use it with the Chromecast but they have stated it will be available to free users soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Bundy89 wrote: »
    I was gonna order Chromecast, till I discovered this..

http://www.energysistem.com/en/products/home_video/android_tv_series39346-energy_android_tv_dongle_dual

Not released till 19th Dec, need to make dumb tv smart. I reckon its streets ahead of Chromecast although it being a bit more pricey.

Check it out..

No views on this...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

No views on this...?

Link isn't working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

http://www.energysistem.com/en/products/home_video/android_tv_series/39346-energy_android_tv_dongle_dual

Only had a brief look but looks like a pretty generic Android Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Yeah Android features I know, but its the web browser is the main attraction for me, Chromecast doesn't have a browser feature and there is no other device out there that can make and old LED tv into smart tv. Only way I know is use Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Yeah Android features I know, but its the web browser is the main attraction for me, Chromecast doesn't have a browser feature and there is no other device out there that can make and old LED tv into smart tv. Only way I know is use Playstation.

There are loads of these types of generic devices available at the moment. We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg - Chromecast is a different slant on it.
    Other ways to make your TV smart would be Roku, XBOX, Now TV box, Apple TV, Smart DVD/Bluray player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

tui0hcg wrote: »
    There are loads of these types of generic devices available at the moment. We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg - Chromecast is a different slant on it.
    Other ways to make your TV smart would be Roku, XBOX, Now TV box, Apple TV, Smart DVD/Bluray player

What I love about the Chromecast is you dont have to learn/use a diffre interface. You just use your device of choice and cast it to your tv in one simple tap.
    I have a few of those android sticks around the home and while they are more powerful in some ways, I'm forever losing the keyboard/mouse combo pads for them or the WiFi/Bluetooth is not working properly or something just gets in the way of me just wanting to watch something then and there... Not had those problems with the Chromecast, it just works out of the box, tap and your done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can I bring my chromecast to my parents house and use it on their tv ok? Do I have to set it up again etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Zascar wrote: »
    Can I bring my chromecast to my parents house and use it on their tv ok? Do I have to set it up again etc?

You can bring it anywhere. Just connect it to their wifi network and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

you can now cast from the web
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/12/5205180/chromecast-adds-google-play-website-streaming
    this thing gets better by the day. with all the stuff now available and especially the fact that you can cast network stored content from a PC or server I think this is the bees knees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

Google Cast SDK now open for developers!

I'm hoping the developers of MX player update there app to support this soon.

What Apps are you hoping get support for it?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

corkie wrote: »

This is big stuff to be honest, can't wait to see how other developers can do with it, I'd like Tune In Radio, and I can't wait to see what Koushik Dutta can do with all cast...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Lads, got my wife to pick up a couple of these over in the US this week. I have four available for the bargain boardsie price of €40 each. just pm me for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

if that incl postage ill take one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fieldog wrote: »
    This is big stuff to be honest, can't wait to see how other developers can do with it, I'd like Tune In Radio, and I can't wait to see what Koushik Dutta can do with all cast...

AllCast has now been updated with Chromecast support. It is a bit slow to respond and some of the controls didn't work for me but it is early and a good start. You can grab the free version from the Play store. You also need to upgrade to the latest version of Google Play Services.

You can either wait for the update or use one of the links from this article to download and install the apk manually.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/03/apk-teardown-download-google-play-services-4-2-refines-play-games-adds-cast-api-signs-of-auth-enhancements/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

AllCast has now been updated with Chromecast support. It is a bit slow to respond and some of the controls didn't work for me but it is early and a good start. You can grab the free version from the Play store. You also need to upgrade to the latest version of Google Play Services.

You can either wait for the update or use one of the links from this article to download and install the apk manually.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/03/apk-teardown-download-google-play-services-4-2-refines-play-games-adds-cast-api-signs-of-auth-enhancements/

Excellent stuff, checking it out now... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Excuse my ignorance on this but what are the benefits, or potential benefits, of the Chromecast over a Samsung smart TV?

I know someone visiting the states at the minute and might get him to pick one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

If you go to the Chromecast app they list the apps which are compatible so far. All cast isn't listed though, probably because it's still in beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Excuse my ignorance on this but what are the benefits, or potential benefits, of the Chromecast over a Samsung smart TV?

I know someone visiting the states at the minute and might get him to pick one up.

Well No. 1 it is $35. Also, now that the Sdk had been released, I expect there will be way more apps supported for the Chromecast.

Dr Nic wrote: »
    if that incl postage ill take one...

Afraid not lads, €40 is a great deal. I can't be bothered with queuing at a post office, but I do have parcel motel. You would need to pay for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭bren2001

Lads, got my wife to pick up a couple of these over in the US this week. I have four available for the bargain boardsie price of €40 each. just pm me for details.

If you still have some left, I'll take one.

Afraid not lads, €40 is a great deal. I can't be bothered with queuing at a post office, but I do have parcel motel. You would need to pay for that though.

I am in Dublin 2 for pickups. I have three left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Well No. 1 it is $35. Also, now that the Sdk had been released, I expect there will be way more apps supported for the Chromecast.

Yeah fair point on the price, cant really go wrong.

Getting him to pick one up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Fieldog wrote: »

Hey there, who is Koushik Dutta!?

Also guys when you use Netflix and the Chromecast what sort of audio are you getting!? 5.1 or plain old stereo!?

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

corkie wrote: »

Combo of this and Torrent Stream Controller would be epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Have a fully patched Chromecast working fine from a laptop.

I've installed the premium version of Avia media player, Chromecast app & Showbox on my Kindle Fire.

In the Chromecast app the on the KF, the connection to the Chromecast varies from 'Ready to cast' to 'No Chromecasts found on networkxyz'

I've rebooted the KF several times - no joy

Has anyone had the same issue?

Cheers..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement