Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Blagged a Netflix sub from a mate and now even impressed with Chromecast.

Well worth the 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

tharmor wrote: »
    How is the quality ??

The quality from Mirror Enabler is very good,excellent would be a stretch but I thought it was a solid very good. I have a free sub to amazons US streaming service which has no android app and plays only through firefox browser and it worked perfectly via mirroring too and the quality was excellent.

Unfortunately I had to update my Note2 to kitkat to get mirror enabler working and it turns out kitkat on note2 is a slow donkey!So while I'm gaining with the mirroring I'm losing with the snappy phone functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

corkie wrote: »
    How long have you got your chromecast? Has it updated firmware before with your setup?

Blocking google's DNS servers may prevent it from updating.

Only a couple of weeks.

I was using it without the router static routes mods up to a few days ago, and I did have the screen casting firwware update, I think as soon as I used it the first time, there was a warning that it would update firmware.

The static routes solution with Smarty DNS worked for services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, hulu, etc.

But I have not been able to force this latest f/w update.

I will disable the static routing and see if I can then update, it may help others.

I'll get back and let yiz know.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Another app I use with chromecast is PBS Kids which is installed on my Nexus 10. It has chromecast support, the UI is simple for the kids and it is good quality shows for children.

Smart dns service is probably required for it to work. Mine is already setup.

I bought my chromecast in Germany for 35 euro.

Another app I use with chromecast is PBS Kids which is installed on my Nexus 10. It has chromecast support, the UI is simple for the kids and it is good quality shows for children.

Smart dns service is probably required for it to work. Mine is already setup.

I bought my chromecast in Germany for 35 euro.

Surely you need to set up your router as well, to by-pass CC's hard coded google DNS??

Was that an Amazon price, or a bricks and mortar store??

£30 on Amazon.co.UK, free delivery to Ireland, around €37'ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

My router is setup with static routes to block googles dns and the smart dns is setup there too.

I bought mine in Saturn one of Germany's largest electronic stores. Same price as getting it delivered by amazon.de to Germany. I didn't even want to wait for delivery.

Only a couple of weeks.

I was using it without the router static routes mods up to a few days ago, and I did have the screen casting firwware update, I think as soon as I used it the first time, there was a warning that it would update firmware.

The static routes solution with Smarty DNS worked for services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, hulu, etc.

But I have not been able to force this latest f/w update.

I will disable the static routing and see if I can then update, it may help others.

I'll get back and let yiz know.

Well, disabling static routes in router made no difference.....

no f/w update to chromecast, still at 17250, powered cycled at least three times.

I don't know now?? Is there something special about 17977??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Well, disabling static routes in router made no difference.....

no f/w update to chromecast, still at 17250, powered cycled at least three times.

I don't know now?? Is there something special about 17977??

Mine was a yankee one until I factory reset it via the app, now its showing as an IE firmware

Fieldog wrote: »
    Mine was a yankee one until I factory reset it via the app, now its showing as an IE firmware

Yeah, I actually chose US in the initial setup, hoping US Netflix, hulu.....

But I don't think its necessary, can anyone clarify.

Netflix hulu,are working OK due to the Smart DNS in the Router, and the Static routes redirecting the Google DNS.

Does the CC country code setting have any bearing??

I posted about xda app Mirror Enabler earlier. Just to say I noticed it screws up my gps while this app is enabled but it works fine again once disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

I posted about xda app Mirror Enabler earlier. Just to say I noticed it screws up my gps while this app is enabled but it works fine again once disabled.

I also posted before you about the app! What version of the app and on what device are you having problems with google play services?

I used it on a nexus 7 (2012) with no problems.

The current app is at version 4, and there is an option in it to fix force closure of GPS.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Well, I did a manual factory re-set, with the button....

changed to Country Code to Ireland [IE]......

makes no difference, still on 17250!!!!, no f/w update.

Everything is still OK, with US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc.

I don't know what this Country Code is about, possible future plans??

I also don't know why the firmware is updated for some, but not others??

There is a new iPlayer version out, still needs that media Player apparently.....check out apk downloader!!!

corkie wrote: »
    I also posted before you about the app! What version of the app and on what device are you having problems with google play services?

I used it on a nexus 7 (2012) with no problems.

The current app is at version 4, and there is an option in it to fix force closure of GPS.

Hehe, is it a competition as to who was first? :D

I'm using it on Note2 with v4. I didn't know there was a fix but I found that when I disabled all the mirror features that the GPS function was back working thank God. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yeah, I actually chose US in the initial setup, hoping US Netflix, hulu.....

But I don't think its necessary, can anyone clarify.

Netflix hulu,are working OK due to the Smart DNS in the Router, and the Static routes redirecting the Google DNS.

Does the CC country code setting have any bearing??

AFAIK the country option is only to set the frequency of the WiFi channels used.

MBSnr wrote: »
    AFAIK the country option is only to set the frequency of the WiFi channels used.

Don't buy that honestly, the Country Code allows selection of almost every Country, including Ireland.

The Wi-Fi channels for Ireland, on 2.4 MHz which is all CC supports, are the normal European Channels 1-13, see below:

Screenshot%202014-07-21%2023.27.43.png

There is some other reason, possibly the country code indicates which Google DNS is used.....

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#locations

Where are your servers currently located?

Google Public DNS servers are available worldwide.

Here are the subnets from which Google Public DNS sends requests to authoritative nameservers, and their associated IATA airport codes:

74.125.16.0/24 tpe
    74.125.17.0/24 bru
    74.125.18.0/24 grq
    74.125.19.0/24 mrn
    74.125.40.0/24 mrn
    74.125.41.0/24 tpe
    74.125.42.0/24 atl
    74.125.43.0/24 tul
    74.125.45.0/24 tul
    74.125.72.0/24 cbf
    74.125.73.0/24 bru
    74.125.74.0/24 lpp
    74.125.176.0/24 mrn
    74.125.177.0/24 atl
    74.125.178.0/24 atl
    74.125.180.0/24 ber
    74.125.181.0/24 bru
    74.125.182.0/24 cbf
    74.125.183.0/24 cbf
    74.125.184.0/24 chs
    74.125.185.0/24 chs
    74.125.186.0/24 dls
    74.125.187.0/24 dls
    74.125.188.0/24 dub
    74.125.189.0/24 fra
    74.125.190.0/24 sin
    173.194.91.0/24 scl
    173.194.96.0/24 dub
    173.194.97.0/24 kul
    173.194.98.0/24 lpp
    173.194.99.0/24 tul
    2001:4860:400b::/48 dls
    2404:6800:4001::/48 kul
    2404:6800:4003::/48 sin
    2404:6800:4008::/48 tpe
    2607:f8b0:4001::/48 cbf
    2607:f8b0:4002::/48 atl
    2607:f8b0:4003::/48 tul
    2607:f8b0:400c::/48 chs
    2607:f8b0:400d::/48 mrn
    2607:f8b0:400e::/48 dls
    2800:3f0:4003::/48 scl
    2a00:1450:4001::/48 fra
    2a00:1450:4008::/48 ber
    2a00:1450:400b::/48 dub
    2a00:1450:400c::/48 bru
    2a00:1450:4010::/48 lpp
    2a00:1450:4013::/48 grq

This list is subject to additions, modifications, and even reductions as we continue to deploy and support our service.

How does Google Public DNS know which data center to send me to?

Google Public DNS uses anycast routing to direct all packets to the closest DNS server. For more information on anycast routing, see the Wikipedia entry.

Google Revamps Chromecast Site With A Full List Of Chromecast Apps And Search Functionality

Androidpolice linked above or to go straight to the app page click here

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Don't buy that honestly, the Country Code allows selection of almost every Country, including Ireland.

The Wi-Fi channels for Ireland, on 2.4 MHz which is all CC supports, are the normal European Channels 1-13, see below:

Screenshot%202014-07-21%2023.27.43.png

There is some other reason, possibly the country code indicates which Google DNS is used.....

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#locations

Possible I guess but it kinda doesn't make sense why they'd bother. As when you hit the 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 Google DNS IPs - and as they use Anycast allowing multiple servers to share the same IP address across the internet - you are automatically routed to the most local NameServer from that location list anyhow.

At a guess the CC probably has like 3 or 4 wifi profiles to cover all country regulations but gives a complete country list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So I got me a Chromecast yesterday and while I am enjoying it (currently typing this on my living room TV), there are still a few glitches.

Last night I bought a movie from the Play store. I diligently downloaded it prior to watching, to ensure there would be no lag or stutter while watching it. When it came to play the movie, Play told me it had to delete the local copy and I was only able to stream a version of the film when displaying on a remote screen. So essentially I downloaded the same film twice. I assume this is some sort of anti-piracy measure.

The bigger issue came during the actual film. While it was playing, I continually got an error on my Samsung Note Pro about the UI library crashing (don't remember the exact error, couldn't take a screenshot as none of the buttons would work). The film kept playing, albeit with the occasional stutter.

In the end, to get control of my tab back at the end of the film, I had to do a power-button reset.

Right now, I am on Linux, with a Chrome extension and it is displaying without problems on my (ancient) Samsung 32" tv.

The jury is still out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The screen mirroring is only in beta so it's not perfect and doesn't claim to be.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So I got me a Chromecast yesterday and while I am enjoying it (currently typing this on my living room TV), there are still a few glitches.

Last night I bought a movie from the Play store. I diligently downloaded it prior to watching, to ensure there would be no lag or stutter while watching it. When it came to play the movie, Play told me it had to delete the local copy and I was only able to stream a version of the film when displaying on a remote screen. So essentially I downloaded the same film twice. I assume this is some sort of anti-piracy measure.

The bigger issue came during the actual film. While it was playing, I continually got an error on my Samsung Note Pro about the UI library crashing (don't remember the exact error, couldn't take a screenshot as none of the buttons would work). The film kept playing, albeit with the occasional stutter.

In the end, to get control of my tab back at the end of the film, I had to do a power-button reset.

Right now, I am on Linux, with a Chrome extension and it is displaying without problems on my (ancient) Samsung 32" tv.

The jury is still out on it.

Did you try streaming you local downloaded media using a third-party CC enabled app, like local cast for instance, or bubble UPnP, or Allcast, the first two have free versions which work to CC, Allcast needs to be purchased.

I'm not sure of the format of movies from Play, never use it ;).......but those apps support most formats.

As for streaming direct from Google play, the link is from their server direct to your CC, so your device is only used to stop/start.

There is also CC-only app called castaway, but it doesn't get good reviews, and us only for Chromecast, no smart TV or roku support. Its free also, with add, and it may suit your needs.....

Hope the above helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

This is pretty tragic in that you had issues with movies from the GOOGLE play store while streaming to a GOOGLE chromecast while chromecast works perfectly when streaming movies from questionably legal apps. Even more tragic again is the fact that the questionably legal apps offer downloading and streaming at various different quality streams from Low Quality up to HD Quality while the Play store doesn't.

Also, €15 to watch a film??? Are they mental? Did the movie industry not see what happened to the music industry over the last 10 years?? I'm sure most people would have no problem paying a reasonable monthly sub to watch stuff on Play similar to Netflix??

[New App] SecondScreen Lets Root Users Adjust A Device's Resolution For Better Chromecasting

Did a quick test of it on my Nexus 7(2012) , it messed up the default launcher on the device making hard to do normal task. Also had a force close of GPS after turning of the app. But don't know if mirrorenabler was the cause of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Well, I did a manual factory re-set, with the button....

changed to Country Code to Ireland [IE]......

makes no difference, still on 17250!!!!, no f/w update.

Everything is still OK, with US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc.

I don't know what this Country Code is about, possible future plans??

I also don't know why the firmware is updated for some, but not others??

There is a new iPlayer version out, still needs that media Player apparently.....check out apk downloader!!!

How can u watch bbc iplayer ?

tharmor wrote: »
    How can u watch bbc iplayer ?

He watches BBC iplayer by using a VPN to trick it into thinking he's in the UK.
    To be able to cast it, he uses it in his rooter.

Google it for more info, Discussing it here is against boards rules.

CinSoots wrote: »
    This is pretty tragic in that you had issues with movies from the GOOGLE play store while streaming to a GOOGLE chromecast while chromecast works perfectly when streaming movies from questionably legal apps. Even more tragic again is the fact that the questionably legal apps offer downloading and streaming at various different quality streams from Low Quality up to HD Quality while the Play store doesn't.

Also, €15 to watch a film??? Are they mental? Did the movie industry not see what happened to the music industry over the last 10 years?? I'm sure most people would have no problem paying a reasonable monthly sub to watch stuff on Play similar to Netflix??

I don't even know where to begin with this nonsense.

And it's €3.99 to rent a movie, not €15. Get your facts right before you embarrass yourself further.

And it's €3.99 to rent a movie, not €15. Get your facts right before you embarrass yourself further.

That was a weird rant OK....why does he bother with Netflix??

Can I ask, re your previous question, was it rented, your movie??

Just saw this, it might help:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851696?hl=en

Rentals can be downloaded to one device at a time. After you’ve saved a rented video on one of your devices, you won’t be able to stream the video on your computer or other devices you’re using with the same Google Account.

To stream videos on your computer or a different device during your rental period, remove the saved video from your device by touching the red pin icon > Remove on the Google Play Movies & TV app.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I never said rent. Will you do me a favour and watch Frozen from the play store and let me know how you get on with your €3.99?
    Good man, thanks.

That was a weird rant OK....why does he bother with Netflix??

Can I ask, re your previous question, was it rented, your movie??

Just saw this, it might help:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851696?hl=en

Yeah, it was rented. Seems an odd restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Re localcast.

Anyone else notice audio lag using certain apps.....

I know there's an option to delay audio etc, but tbh it doesn't seem to help much.

I don't seem to have the same issues with upnp strangely enough, it's just I find local cast a tad easier to operate.

• Advertisement

CinSoots wrote: »
    I never said rent. Will you do me a favour and watch Frozen from the play store and let me know how you get on with your €3.99?
    Good man, thanks.

That's mad altogether.....Frozen, a Disney Animated Movie!!!!!

No rental, €14 SD....€17 HD :(

I knew there was a reason why I don't rent or buy movies.

Point taken.......

I still got Netflix (although, it seems rather pointless too now)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement