Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Volume Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dude like I said before you gained 2kg and look leaner, that's the holy grail of swole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

JJayoo wrote: »
    Dude like I said before you gained 2kg and look leaner, that's the holy grail of swole.

Thanks dude. Tbh, I'm not sure what results I was expecting :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Agree with JJayoo. Heavier and Leaner. Not sure what more you'd want.

Shoulder injury probably from doing so many dips/bench movements in the GVT programme. From what I can gather this isnt uncommon. Emmet advised to do some face pulls and it should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

So to the people who've finished at least the first cycle, How'd you find it? What gainz did you get? Would you repeat?

Was good. Not 100% sure about gains, put on about 5kg since starting it (around 2 months ago?). Will repeat but not until January or February as I found it fairly taxing.

All lifts went up but would have went up anyway as I hadn't been lifting for 3 months due to a non-lifting related injury! Found the gainz came thick and fast during the 2nd phase with 6 rep sets rather than 10, weight was being upped almost every session. Sticking to the tempo is hard especially towards the end when you are wrecked but just do the program and eat well, makes life a whole lot easier when you just follow the program properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Question: For the preacher curls (or any alternating exercise), is the 90 sec rest period counted from when you finish the first arm or when you're finished both arms?

I'm thinking it's the former, but not sure. I had been using the EZ bar up until now so this didn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Essien wrote: »
    Question: For the preacher curls (or any alternating exercise), is the 90 sec rest period counted from when you finish the first arm or when you're finished both arms?

I'm thinking it's the former, but not sure. I had been using the EZ bar up until now so this didn't matter.

Are you not alternating arms?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Are you not alternating arms?

I had been using the EZ bar, so i was doing both arms.

Used dumbbells today, so now I'm alternating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The program should use a straight bar

The program should use a straight bar

My gym has a heap of dumbbells and fixed weight EZ bars but only one straight bar, the olympic barbell. So the straight bar just isn't convenient for me.

I just wouldn't have thought there was a huge difference between the lot.

Edit: actually, do you mean I shouldn't be using dumbbells at all

Yeah the if you're following the program then it should be straight bar, there probably won't be much of a difference using db's but stil YNDTP

• Advertisement

Yeah the if you're following the program then it should be straight bar, there probably won't be much of a difference using db's but stil YNDTP

So if I've only got the 2 options the dumbbells >> EZ bar then yeah?

That takes me back to my original question.

And yes FWIW, I am signing up to a new gym, I'm sure you were thinking that :D

Didn't cross my mind actually

So if I've only got the 2 options the dumbbells >> EZ bar then yeah?

That takes me back to my original question.

And yes FWIW, I am signing up to a new gym, I'm sure you were thinking that :D

doesn't matter, you don't have to use a straight bar amazingemmet is wrong

jive wrote: »
    doesn't matter, you don't have to use a straight bar amazingemmet is wrong

amazingemmet is never wrong :pac:

If he's following then Poliquin GVT program then using a straight bar is what is programmed so to not use the straight bar is case of YNDTP but as I said below if you bothered to read my posts:
    ME wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

every time someone says "YNDTP" a kitten dies...

If he's following then Poliquin GVT program then using a straight bar is what is programmed so to not use the straight bar is case of YNDTP

Yeah I don't think it was the Poloquin one, it was probably just one of the first couple of results when I Googled GVT programs, it's a few weeks ago now so I can't remember.

Phase one just said preacher curls, didn't specify straight/EZ bar or dumbbells.

amazingemmet is never wrong :pac:

If he's following then Poliquin GVT program then using a straight bar is what is programmed so to not use the straight bar is case of YNDTP but as I said below if you bothered to read my posts:

Hammer curls (phase 1) and ez bar curls (phase 2) are in the programme for biceps, not straight bar. It also states that 'This is a sample German Volume Training routine based on a five-day cycle.' so it's not set in stone anyway

Stand corrected,

but its scott (preacher) close grip easy curl in phase two, so use them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, can GVT be done on a 3 day cycle?
    I only have access to my gym mon-fri and I was looking for a program that CN be done mon-wed-fri.

I'm 32, 68.5kg and 17% BF, with a metabolic age of 23 according to my most recent test in the gym. But that was mid December and the Xmas binge of turkey, stuffing, gravey and sausage meat can be felt on the body at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

kceire wrote: »
    I only have access to my gym mon-fri and I was looking for a program that CN be done mon-wed-fri.

I'm 32, 68.5kg and 17% BF, with a metabolic age of 23 according to my most recent test in the gym. But that was mid December and the Xmas binge of turkey, stuffing, gravey and sausage meat can be felt on the body at this stage!

Just do a full body workout.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Just do a full body workout.

Wanted something different to try tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

kceire wrote: »
    No. Something like GVT could be done over 3 days but it wouldn't be GVT.

No. Something like GVT could be done over 3 days but it wouldn't be GVT.

Yeah kinda had that feeling. Must of been a modified version I was looking at.
    In before the "YNDTP" :D

Would there be any reason not to throw in an additional exercise on one of the days? I say this because I'd like to do more with my shoulders.

I'm thinking like a set of OHP's or something on arm day, as many as I can do while following the volume guidelines of the rest of the program.

I'm just about finished myself, but maybe for next time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Would there be any reason not to throw in an additional exercise on one of the days? I say this because I'd like to do more with my shoulders.

I'm thinking like a set of OHP's or something on arm day, as many as I can do while following the volume guidelines of the rest of the program.

I'm just about finished myself, but maybe for next time round.

There's many reasons.

One is "you're not doing the program"

Another one is "do you want to hurt yourself?"

Another other one is "are you following the tempo prescriptions and exercise selection as outlined, cos there's a lot of shoulder work in there already?"

I didn't think adding a bit more would constitute 'YNDTP', but I'll take your word for it.

I feel like the back of my shoulders have grown a good bit, much less on the sides and less again at the front. Tempo on the shoulder work could be better though, I'll admit that.

FWIW this is the one I did, no particular reason, it was just one of the first I found...
    http://muscleandbrawn.com/complete-guide-german-volume-training/

I didn't think adding a bit more would constitute 'YNDTP', but I'll take your word for it.

I feel like the back of my shoulders have grown a good bit, much less on the sides and less again at the front. Tempo on the shoulder work could be better though, I'll admit that.

FWIW this is the one I did, no particular reason, it was just one of the first I found...
    http://muscleandbrawn.com/complete-guide-german-volume-training/

10 sets of bench fairly wrecked my shoulders, wouldn't recommend doing extra work. The lack of military press and front raise doesn't mean they're not getting worked enough, iirc you do 6 sets directly on shoulders anyway when doing arms + they get hit again when benching

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JennyLynam

HI Guys,

My name is Jenny Lynam and I am currently doing a masters in Digital Marketing in DCU. I am researching online communities and have been looking through this thread and have found it really interesting.

My background in fitness is pretty limited, eg a few spinning classes a week, and there is probably not a reasonable figure you could pay me to attempt GVT! However, I see that many of you are pretty passionate, committed and brave enough to take the task on!

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on pre workout supplements that give you energy and focus before a workout, and if it would be something you would consider taking it before a session of GVT. If you wouldn't, what are the reasons? And if you have, what products have you tried?

Again, I apologise if this is really random, and I don't mean to drag the topic off point, but I feel like some of your opinions would be really useful in my studies!

Let me know if there is anymore information I can provide!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

JennyLynam wrote: »
    HI Guys,

My name is Jenny Lynam and I am currently doing a masters in Digital Marketing in DCU. I am researching online communities and have been looking through this thread and have found it really interesting.

My background in fitness is pretty limited, eg a few spinning classes a week, and there is probably not a reasonable figure you could pay me to attempt GVT! However, I see that many of you are pretty passionate, committed and brave enough to take the task on!

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on pre workout supplements that give you energy and focus before a workout, and if it would be something you would consider taking it before a session of GVT. If you wouldn't, what are the reasons? And if you have, what products have you tried?

Again, I apologise if this is really random, and I don't mean to drag the topic off point, but I feel like some of your opinions would be really useful in my studies!

Let me know if there is anymore information I can provide!

Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87950739

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JennyLynam

Thanks @thegreatiam.

Have you or or do you take pre workout supplements and what do you think of them?

Advertisement