Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Volume Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Unfortunately I have to work around the equipment in my gym and also the fact I need alternatives instead of waiting around. If I did the poliquin method by the time I went say from squats to lying leg curls, my squat wrack would have been taken. I know its German but putting a towel on something mean nothing to the guys in my gym. Also there are no DB over 30kg so my progression is limited strickly his system.

As for knee flexion I am unsure what that is?

Yeah the deadlifts are kina stuck in there, but I got to do them sometime...maybe better on leg day but that would probably kill me. Its hard not to feel I am not getting a full workout. I used to do chest and shoulders together, and that would be three inclinations of bench, and flys and pushups. Trying to let go of that "hit em from every angle" things is hard. Takes a good 50 minutes get through those as I layed them out.

That right there is where I know I'll come up against the biggest obstacle, myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Trying to let go of that "hit em from every angle" things is hard. Takes a good 50 minutes get through those as I layed them out.

That's the point of german volume training is to not hit everything from every angle but to pick one angle and trash the muscles from it. If you're really counting the tempos on each set then you should have little left for extra work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

In a way I feel its a bit more metabolic conditioning than isolation. Reminds me of boot camp training (oh the horrible memories). Medium weight circuits for time with little rest.

What are thoughts on inclined Leg press after the squats rather than the GM's or SLDL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

In a way I feel its a bit more metabolic conditioning than isolation. Reminds me of boot camp training (oh the horrible memories). Medium weight circuits for time with little rest.

What are thoughts on inclined Leg press after the squats rather than the GM's or SLDL?

Could be worth thinking of it from the other perspective too if you're THAT limited - Leg Press + SLDL/GM.

But yah if you're doing it right, you shouldn't have anything left for metcons, spinning or any of that crap.

Hanley wrote: »
    , spinning or any of that crap.

Hey I like spinning, the view is great.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm selling my weights tomorrow !!!!!:eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

so is the idea you just train 3 days a week on this thing?

colman1212 wrote: »
    so is the idea you just train 3 days a week on this thing?

No its five day cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Shouldv just sucked it up stop being a pu$$y and went and hit the weights the next day lol

• Advertisement

Bear with me guys while I thrash out some potential GVT plans. Critique on this one please:

Rest Intervals: STRICT – If exercises are being performed independently – 60secs rest. If exercises are being performed as a superset – 90 to 120 secs.

"Tempo: For long-range movements such as squats, dips and chins, use a 40X0 tempo; this means the eccentric portion of the exercise is 4 seconds and the concentric portion is done as rapidly as possible. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 3020 tempo."

Day 1: Chest

A1 - Flat Bench 10 x 10
    A2 – Dumbell Flyes 10 x 10

B1 – Incline Barbell Press 3 x 10-12
    B2 – Decline Bench 3 x 10-12

Day 2: Back
    A1 – Deadlift 10x10
    A2 – Pull Ups 10x10

B1 –Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs 3 x 10-12
    B2 – One Arm Dumbell Rows 3 x 10-12

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Legs
    A1 – Squat 10 x 10
    A2 – Barbell Step-Up 10 x 10

B1 – Seated Calf Raises 3 x 10-12
    B2 – Walking Barbell Lunges x 3

Day 5: Shoulders & Arms

A1 – Military/OH Press 10 x 10
    A2 – Dips 10 x 10

B1 – Lat Raises 3 x 10-12
    B2 – Front Raises 3 x 10-12

C1 – Preacher Curls 3 x 10-12
    C2 – Shrugs 3 x 10-12

Day 4 looks like a killer

Day 4 looks like a killer

Looks rough alright, lunges could be the nail in the coffin!

Question which I should know the answer to.

Is supersetting a fundamental part of GVT?

Take Day 4 for an example, should the squats and step-ups be supersetted, no pause, between A1 & A2? Or can they be performed independently i.e. 10 sets of squats first, 10 sets of step-ups

Day one is terrible in terms of exercise selection.

So is day 4.

Try again and think antagonists.

But why not just follow the program as laid out by Poliquin?

Day one is terrible in terms of exercise selection.

So is day 4.

Try again and think antagonists.

But why not just follow the program as laid out by Poliquin?

As I understand Poliquins example is just a sample to expand on the theory - he's not necessarily stating it has to be followed that way unless I'm mistaken? :confused:

I'm keen to give back a day of it's own and personally i feel that I could cope with 4 days - I could be proven horribly wrong :P

Any suggestions for Day 1/4? Open to suggestions on both!

EDIT: Also I know that by separating Chest & Back I am removing some antagonistic aspect

ronanc15 wrote: »
    As I understand Poliquins example is just a sample to expand on the theory - he's not necessarily stating it has to be followed that way unless I'm mistaken? :confused:

I'm keen to give back a day of it's own and personally i feel that I could cope with 4 days - I could be proven horribly wrong :P

Any suggestions for Day 1/4? Open to suggestions on both!

EDIT: Also I know that by separating Chest & Back I am removing some antagonistic aspect

YNDTP.

Why do people always think they know better...

YNDTP.

Why do people always think they know better...

I don't - that's why I'm asking. That was actually a question, albeit phrased differently.

P.s. Had to google that abbreviation, learn something new everyday :D

To avoid any confusion what I was asking is

A) For GVT to be properly executed as it was designed does it have to be a 3 day split. i.e. can I do a 4 day split giving back a day of it's own or is this incorrect?
    B) Poliquin's program - is this guidance or instruction?

Its not a three day split, its 3 days over five, So you'll train 5 days a week in effect

Ie,

Mon chest/back
    tues Legs
    Wed Off
    Thur shoulders/ arms
    Fri off
    Sat chest back
    Sun legs

Do the Poliquin program as suggest in his article on the charlespoliquin.com site. Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Only mess with the accessory exercises if you know you have a certain deficit that needs to be corrected. It'll take you 30 days for the 10x10 section then 15 for the 10x6 section. Follow as closely as possible, take your bcaa's, sleep as much as possible reap the rewards.

Etc

Its not a three day split, its 3 days over five, So you'll train 5 days a week in effect

Ie,

Mon chest/back
    tues Legs
    Wed Off
    Thur shoulders/ arms
    Fri off
    Sat chest back
    Sun legs

Do the Poliquin program as suggest in his article on the charlespoliquin.com site. Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Only mess with the accessory exercises if you know you have a certain deficit that needs to be corrected. It'll take you 30 days for the 10x10 section then 15 for the 10x6 section. Follow as closely as possible, take your bcaa's, sleep as much as possible reap the rewards.

Etc

What he said.

..and if you ARE going to sub exercises, which you shouldn't but probably will do anyway, try to stick to the spirit of what is prescribed. So if it's back and chest, don't change it to bench press and dumbbell flys.

Ie,

Mon chest/back
    tues Legs
    Wed Off
    Thur shoulders/ arms
    Fri off
    Sat chest back
    Sun legs

Etc

OK I understand what you mean about the 5 day cycle now.

So are the A1 and A2 exercises always supersetted?

• Advertisement

What he said.

..and if you ARE going to sub exercises, which you shouldn't but probably will do anyway, try to stick to the spirit of what is prescribed. So if it's back and chest, don't change it to bench press and dumbbell flys.

The only reason I have bench press and flyes in there is because I had initially switched it to a chest day. Rather than a chest/back day. :)

ronanc15 wrote: »
    OK I understand what you mean about the 5 day cycle now.

So are the A1 and A2 exercises always supersetted?

Yes, there's so many reasons for.

Yes, there's so many reasons for.

Cool, that's not an issue. Just wanted to be sure that was how it was meant to be because auld Charlie gives two rest times, one for exercise done independtly and the other for supersets.

Its exercise A1 rest 60 secs A2 rest 60 not A1 no rest A2 rest 60.

Ah ok, i thought it was - A1, A2, 60 secs.

Thanks for clearing that up!

So two weeks in. Program run 3 times as of today. Had trouble with the chest day yesterday had to drop the weight to complete the reps. Adding 5kg is like adding 40kg. Whole lot of shaking and tomato face to get reps 9 and 10. Its true the 8-9-10 set is easier, its around 4-5-6 that you feel its hopeless. Guys look at you with amusement as you shake out 60kg on the bench, or do chins with assistance. Would love to have a rep counter over my head. This program results in quite uncomfortable pumps, and I have discovered I actually have veins in my legs.

Leg day is a hard one, defo a day for some high carbs. Funny how you can push through with legs but on chest once its gone its gone.

Savagely hungry on this program, have had to watch the diet last few days as my body is tell me I should eat entire cakes and packets of biscuits. Not to be trusted.

I am not going to retest my 1RM for about another 4 weeks, just dont have the power at the moment. Doms is constant but its that pleasant doms rather than the crippling type. Taking in a weekly deep tissue massage which IMHO is a great preventer if injury and speeds recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Not enough Poliquin bashing in this thread.

kevpants wrote: »

Even a broken watch is right twice a day. :P

kevpants wrote: »

Don't get me started:pac:

• Advertisement

So I am 3 weeks in of 6 weeks. GVT is pretty boring and mind numbing. There are actually only two splits on this program....leg day and days that are not leg day. Sitting here and my legs are numb like walking on somebody else's legs after 100 90 kg squats and 100 split lunges each leg along with 6 sets of calf and hams.

Looking forward to the end of this. Defo getting leaner but staying at the same weight despite going on a fairly strict diet. I wonder what my 1RM will be. Funny it teaches you where you max strength is, for me its about set 5 or 6, I feel strong there. The thoughts of doing 5x5 after this sound like a holiday. This is harder than I had imagined.

Advertisement