Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Volume Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Will be interested to see how your 1RM is affected alright. Do you think you will switch off GVT after the 6 weeks or do another cycle?

Are you upping the weight each week? If so, by what %?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

100 90 kg squats and 100 split lunges

I actually just got a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought of having to do that workout. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Going up 2.5kg (1.25 plate each side) each time I do the split. Struggling TBH. Will defo go to something else after this, less volume heavier weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Last week this week. Happens that there will be two leg days. Knackered. Legs today was a chore, and I have the shakes for the last 3 hours. On the plus side I think I have made some significant gains. I look a good bit leaner around the stomach, my legs have gone leaner and my arms have grown significantly as I never really trained them much before.

GVT is good, but I am looking forward to moving onto some more heavy ****. 5x5 / 5 x 7 pyramids maybe. Going to see the wolverine tonight so that should give me some motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Now you've got to ride it out for 3 cycles of 10x6, trust me this is when the magic happens. Don't just jump onto another program right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

How much/if any of a calorie deficit were you on for this programme?

How was your diet?

How were your doms/recovery?

Thanks for answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Hope you guys realize that doing a single bodypart, or two bodyparts in one session, once a week, sacraficing frequency for volume, is absolutely moronic without gh, insulin and about 1.5g of gear a week. natural training yields diminishing returns with excessive volume and research has shown that muscular protein synthesis only occurs 24-48 hours after a training session.

thats why full body or push pull splits are ideal for nattys, youre sacraficing frequency for volume, which is absolutely retarded without enough anabolics and peptides to induce protein sysntheis for a full week with only one training session.

Unless youre extremely advanced naturally, about 4 or 5 years experience, or on a huge stack, youre best off doing a muscle group 2-3 times a week for best gains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8brhySqyDw

Hope you guys realize that doing a single bodypart, or two bodyparts in one session, once a week, sacraficing frequency for volume, is absolutely moronic without gh, insulin and about 1.5g of gear a week. natural training yields diminishing returns with excessive volume and research has shown that muscular protein synthesis only occurs 24-48 hours after a training session.

thats why full body or push pull splits are ideal for nattys, youre sacraficing frequency for volume, which is absolutely retarded without enough anabolics and peptides to induce protein sysntheis for a full week with only one training session.

Unless youre extremely advanced naturally, about 4 or 5 years experience, or on a huge stack, youre best off doing a muscle group 2-3 times a week for best gains

Wtf are you talking about?

Im trying to explain how, without large amounts of steroids, doing a typical "bodybuilder split" routine, is very sub-optimal for natural weightlifters. Read up a bit, frequency > volume for best gains.

No point in trying to train like a bodybuilder, unless you juice like one

Im trying to explain how, without large amounts of steroids, doing a typical "bodybuilder split" routine, is very sub-optimal for natural weightlifters. Read up a bit, frequency > volume for best gains.

No point in trying to train like a bodybuilder, unless you juice like one

Think you have the wrong thread, GVT hits every body part on a 5 day cycle and is a very successful program for naturals. Read the whole thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

that ice cream guy really irritates me.

Que?!

Last week this week. Happens that there will be two leg days. Knackered. Legs today was a chore, and I have the shakes for the last 3 hours. On the plus side I think I have made some significant gains. I look a good bit leaner around the stomach, my legs have gone leaner and my arms have grown significantly as I never really trained them much before.

GVT is good, but I am looking forward to moving onto some more heavy ****. 5x5 / 5 x 7 pyramids maybe. Going to see the wolverine tonight so that should give me some motivation.

Had a grinder of a back session Sunday. Took everything I had to get past that wall around the 6th set.

Have found it very beneficial on legs, getting a lot more comfortable and consistent with my form.

Also starting to lean up which is great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If ronan or fitzgeme could answer my questions about 6 posts up, or anyone that has done this training (emmet??) Id appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

How much/if any of a calorie deficit were you on for this programme?

How was your diet?

How were your doms/recovery?

Thanks for answers.

Im eating a calorie surplus anyway. Ive turned into a starvation since i have started it

Doms are grand, I was training 6 days a week on a fairly heavy lifting programme before this. Legs can be a bit sore after 2 days. Chest has become more defined.

Recovery for me anyway has been ok

cronin_j wrote: »
    Im eating a calorie surplus anyway. Ive turned into a starvation since i have started it

Doms are grand, I was training 6 days a week on a fairly heavy lifting programme before this. Legs can be a bit sore after 2 days. Chest has become more defined.

Recovery for me anyway has been ok

This x 2. Metabolism is on overdrive

Think you have the wrong thread, GVT hits every body part on a 5 day cycle and is a very successful program for naturals. Read the whole thread.

I looked the routine up online. It works each part once every 5days correct?
    With one rest day, thats 6days for each muscle, which is far far inferior to a full body or push pull slpit hitting each group (less intensely) 3 times per week. Frequency>volume as i explained. After 48hours, your mucles stops growing after a session, so on a 5 or 6 days rotation per muscle, youre missing 2 other days where you could have stimulated growth.

Do whatever you want, but for the average natural lifter, gvt is sub optimal, like most bro splits. And please dont consider yourself even nearly experienced enough to think youre above a full body rotation, unless you squat 140 for reps and dl 180, with a 100kg bench.

ICF is one of the very few people in the youtube fitness community that actually knows what theyre talking about, and doesnt spout broscience and lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If ronan or fitzgeme could answer my questions about 6 posts up, or anyone that has done this training (emmet??) Id appreciate it.

Doing GVT on a kcal deficit makes even less sense than that Gregor chap on this thread.

just trying to give advice, you guys are absolutely clueless. have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

just trying to give advice, you guys are absolutely clueless. have fun

Advice? You are saying that if you aren't on some form of steroids etc that doing GVT is a waste of time, thats not advice.

• Advertisement

never stated that, any lifting coupled with enough calories and protein will give you gains. Just saying its sub optimal for 99% of lifters. google it, there's alot online about splits vs pushpulls and full bodys. Simply trying to inform people, you guys can do gvt if you think its fun, but it simply isnt as good as the others ive mentioned. Ive got nothing to gain by telling you guys this, its legit advice

never stated that, any lifting coupled with enough calories and protein will give you gains. Just saying its sub optimal for 99% of lifters. google it, there's alot online about splits vs pushpulls and full bodys. Simply trying to inform people, you guys can do gvt if you think its fun, but it simply isnt as good as the others ive mentioned. Ive got nothing to gain by telling you guys this, its legit advice
    Hope you guys realize that doing a single bodypart, or two bodyparts in one session, once a week, sacraficing frequency for volume, is absolutely moronic without gh, insulin and about 1.5g of gear a week.

That quote would seem to say that you were.

And from what people have said in this thread thus far, GVT seems quite effective.

Gintonious wrote: »
    That quote would seem to say that you were.

And from what people have said in this thread thus far, GVT seems quite effective.

I have no idea what youre implying there, but anyway, id love to know how much everybodys 1rep max and 5rep max will increase after this routine, and how much lean mass theyve gained off it.
    /spoiler/ it will be disappointing /end spoiler/

I have no idea what youre implying there, but anyway, id love to know how much everybodys 1rep max and 5rep max will increase after this routine, and how much lean mass theyve gained off it.
    /spoiler/ it will be disappointing /end spoiler/

Can I borrow that crystal ball you seem to have?

its called research. ive just switched from a bro split after being laughed off other forums for doing mike o hearns power bodybuilding without roids. You dont have to listen to me, but itll save you time and prob help your gains in the long run. As blunt as i am, im giving decent advice. the fact that i have to try convince you guys is sort of depressing. no wonder this place is so barren, you guys seem so set in your ways that you are afraid to actually educate yourselves or take advice from someone who has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I like this unholy guy

My form across all 3 lifts has improved, I'm getting leaner and getting some good growth going, so already this has been a success for me.

I'm not in a position yet to comment on if or by how much my 1RM or 5RM will increase but it's a bit ridiculous to rubbish the entire method without knowing what the person's end goals are i.e. it could be lean mass, it could be strength gains or it could just be a change of scenery?!

Obviously with "gh, insulin and about 1.5g of gear a week" you're going to get maximum gains. I'm willing to take the gains without involving any of that, I'm comfortable in that choice.

Everybody is different and what works for one person will not necessarily work similarly for others. Not everyone's bodies respond the same. For me splits do work best, my body just doesn't respond as well to full body workouts. That's a fact.

Solid advice.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    My form across all 3 lifts has improved, I'm getting leaner and getting some good growth going, so already this has been a success for me.

I'm not in a position yet to comment on if or by how much my 1RM or 5RM will increase but it's a bit ridiculous to rubbish the entire method without knowing what the person's end goals are i.e. it could be lean mass, it could be strength gains or it could just be a change of scenery?!

Obviously with "gh, insulin and about 1.5g of gear a week" you're going to get maximum gains. I'm willing to take the gains without involving any of that, I'm comfortable in that choice.

Everybody is different and what works for one person will not necessarily work similarly for others. Not everyone's bodies respond the same. For me splits do work best, my body just doesn't respond as well to full body workouts. That's a fact.
    Well either youre a genetic freak with an abmormal potential for protein systhesis and im jelly as ****.
    Or, you arent experienced enough to know what works best for your body and are doing what routine you personally like, which is fine by me. You can train in your happy bubble all you want, but its a black and white fact that gvt isnt good, it isnt even popular anymore, it died out about 18months ago, it was an overhyped fad.

If you cant squat 140 and dl 180 for reps, you havnt got a clue what works for your body in fairness

• Advertisement

Well either youre a genetic freak with an abmormal potential for protein systhesis and im jelly as ****.
    Or, you arent experienced enough to know what works best for your body and are doing what routine you personally like, which is fine by me. You can train in your happy bubble all you want, but its a black and white fact that gvt isnt good, it isnt even popular anymore, it died out about 18months ago, it was an overhyped fad.

If you cant squat 140 and dl 180 for reps, you havnt got a clue what works for your body in fairness

WTF, so because it's not popular it's not good? :rolleyes:

I can squat 140 (just 1RM for what it's worth) and DL 190kg, bench 100kg so what now? Now stop waving your willy around brah.

Advertisement