Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Volume Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah I'd assume it was A1, rest, A2, rest, A1 too...

Just from this part
    Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

But then were does the supersets come into it? I thought it was A1, A2 then rest (1 superset). Maybe I've mis read somewhere but I was under the impression that GVT had a lot of supersets in there.

But then were does the supersets come into it? I thought it was A1, A2 then rest (1 superset). Maybe I've mis read somewhere but I was under the impression that GVT had a lot of supersets in there.
    A1, A2 is superset notation. It's just to let you know you alternate sets between the two.
    The important part is that the instructions say to rest between A exercises AND supersets. So I'd assume he means test between both.

I knows the generic definition of superset probably says 1, then 2 with no rest in between. But there's lots if ways of supersetting and with very different goals.
    Resting or not resting between shouldn't really make a difference, it's just a naming convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some programmes will have A1, A2, rest. A1, A2, rest, etc.

Others, like the one you've outlined above are A1, rest, A2, rest, A1, rest, A2 rest.

Thanks for clearing it up. I know it probably seems like stupidly obvious answers but I just want to make sure everything is right before tackling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks for clearing it up. I know it probably seems like stupidly obvious answers but I just want to make sure everything is right before tackling it.

Not at all. It certainly isn't obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Update:

Nearly finished this. Last two leg sessions this week.

Plan on ending andd then taking a deload week and moving on to a strength 5x5 programme or similar.

So it haa gone like the following:

5weeks 10x10
    2weeks deload
    5 weeks 10x6

THE 10x10:

I ate like a madman, quite clean most of the time but didnt stress over eating whatever I wanted. I also only did 1 minute rest between all sets for all sections.

I found this particularly intense having never done so much volume before. I sweated profusely. I found the doms a non issue once adjusted. I did find some niggly elbow and shoulder issues though.

I found I increased weight very quickly and put this down to being packed full of glycogen, water and curiously... food.

In terms of weights lifted I only failed a few times. I think if Id of had more confidence in my form and strength Id have started heavier and continued in that vein but I didnt want to be going too heavy with bad form for so many reps. I think Id have got more out of this if Id gone heavier from the start.

THE DELOAD:

This was hard. My diet remained in hefty surplus but given the nature of the change overall tonnage I felt like I was doing nothing. The discipline to keep working here and not overdo it was harder than any 10x10 squat session.

Changing the exercises up was a benefit and I began to see some changes here.

87kg when finished here and a little tubby.

THE 10X6;

Unhappy with my tubbiness, amd subsequent t shirt, shirt and pants tightness I decided to keep the calories around the same probabaly a little less but cycle carbs and introduce intermittent fasting.

Hindsight says this was a mistake. I feel I could have gotten more out of this again by just eating and lifting and not being a silly vain bastard.

That said; Im 82kg now and still increasing the weights while definitely leaner.

OVERALL;

Despite knowing I could have gotten more out of it, Im relatively happy at where I am and have learned some valuable training lessons.

I think that counterintuitively my form has improved over all the lifts.

My shoulders, triceps and legs have grown more than my arms/chest/back (very subjective).

Coffee is king.

My right side is quite a bit stronger than left.

Most importantly Ive learned that doing something for yourself is the only real way of knowing and learning. Its a tough oul slog but the grind is worth it.

Finishing now with:

Squat 112.5kg 10x6
    Hamstring Curl 60kg per leg

Bench 82.5kg 10x6
    Pull ups +5kg 10x6

Dips +30kg 10x6
    Hammer curls 16kg 10x6

Im really looking forward to getting back to 5x5 as I feel Ill put up some solid PBs before xmas.

Tl;dr
    Did GVT. Quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Please say you took before and afters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Please say you took before and afters?

I did on my phone which then needed to be factory reset. So I dont have them anymore I dont think. I had one pic a day for the first 6 weeks.

I will have a look later and see if they backed up anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I am in my 2nd week of GVT. Its tough going but I am managing to get through it (so far :D)

I do the following routine

Monday
    Dumbbell Bench Press (10 x 10)
    Lat Pull Down (10 x 10)
    Bicep Curls (10 x 10)

Tuesday
    Squat (10 x 10)
    Stiff Leg Deadlift (10 x 10)
    Calf Raise (10 x 10)

Thursday
    Shoulder Press (10 x 10)
    Tricep Press (10 x 10)

Friday
    Same as Monday

Sat and Sunday I take off and don't do any exercises

• Advertisement

YNDTP

Just so I have this bit right -
    Beginner/Intermediate German Volume Training Program: Phase 2
    After six of those five-day cycles, I recommend you do a three-week phase in which the average set is 6-8 reps, and do only 4-6 sets per bodypart over a five-day cycle, or you can do any other split that suits your recovery pattern. After this three-week block, you can return to the German Volume Training method by doing the following routine of 10 sets of 6 reps. In the exercises that are prescribed for 10 sets, use a load with which you’d normally be able to do 12 repetitions. The goal in this phase is to do 10 sets of 6 with that load.
    Sample 10 Sets of 6 Routine:

This is kinda of like a deloading intermediary phase between phase 1 and 2?

So an example workout would be

Chest/Back

Incline bench: 10x8 @60%
    Bent over rows: 10x8 @60%

Legs/Abs

Lunges: 10x8 @60%
    Crunches: 10x8 @60%

Arms/Shoulders

EZ bar curls: 10x8 @60%
    Standing lat raises: 10x8 @60%

Am I reading this right?? :confused:

Less sets, I'd use more exercise variety too, 2 exercises per body part, start with 3 sets then up it to 4 after two cycles

Am I reading this right?? :confused:

I don't think so. Your example is 10 sets of 8 reps.

But the instructions say 4-6 sets of 6-8 reps. You need to half the sets.
    It's doesn't really give guidance on load, so I'm not sure if you keep the previous load from the final 10x10 cycle, or if the load is increased due to less sets/reps
    Less sets, I'd use more exercise variety too, 2 exercises per body part, start with 3 sets then up it to 4 after two cycles
    Wouldn't that be 6-8 sets per body part.
    Starting with 2 and upping it to 3 would fit the 4-6 sets template.

Any idea on loading?

Sorry, my bad, I had sets from Phase 1 in my head as I was writing my log :o I meant to write 4x8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

After this long at GVT I am surprised you not squatting in a corner rocking back and forward counting to 10 again and again.

The days off never seem to be enough and I'm always hungry/eating but other than that I think it's going OK.

Just a little confused at the next step.

Mellor has written out what I originally tried to post before I confused myself. Unsure on the weight % though. I'm doing 60% but figure with such a decrease in sets/reps that this could get bumped to 75%-80%... Not sure where to go for clarification.
    After this long at GVT I am surprised you not squatting in a corner rocking back and forward counting to 10 again and again.

After this is done I'm taking a serious break from squats!! Curling in a ball would be the preferred fetal position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I finished the GVT beginners program about two weeks and am due to start the next phase (intermediate) next Thursday.
    Since finishing the beginners phase, I have lower the reps and increased the weight and with 3 sets per exercise, on the 2nd and 3rd I generally go to failure (8 reps max).

I'm doing different exercises than I done in the beginners program to try concentrate on different parts of the muscle to help prepare for Phase 2.
    In truth though, I am doing about 9 sets per bodypart which is more than prescribed, but recovery is fine and I still keep the workout to less than 1 hour (which is hard as I used to go for up to 2 hours * 5 times per week before starting GVT).

I agree this "between beginners and intermediate" stage is hard to understand but as long as I feel prepared for starting phase 2 next week, I am happy to continue as is.

Have to say - it's the best thing I have done in the 2 years of lifting. Really focused my mind on the tempo and now I have decent mass I don't care that I am lifting less than many others around me who are half my size.

BTW: Put on about 4 pounds in the 5/6 weeks of the beginning program. Hardest part was eating 3700 clean calories. I have actually put on a few more pounds in the last couple of weeks.

Yea, I'll stick with the main 2 exercises and 2 supplementary exercises. I just wasn't arsed typing it all out :p

Just need to come up with something now. Never made my own program like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Interesting thread. I think I will give this a go in January.

Absolutely pointless starting it now as I know I wont get to the gym 5 days a week over the Christmas period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Gonna pull this thread up again. I know this is every body part in 5 days but has anyone use'd the principle over 7 days?

I train jujitsu tuesday/thursday so if i repeated this every 5 days id end up doing GVT and jujitsu on the same day. Thats not going to work out very well :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Gonna pull this thread up again. I know this is every body part in 5 days but has anyone use'd the principle over 7 days?

I train jujitsu tuesday/thursday so if i repeated this every 5 days id end up doing GVT and jujitsu on the same day. Thats not going to work out very well :)

YNDTP

...id end up doing GVT and jujitsu on the same day. Thats not going to work out very well :)
    Doing GVT the day before will be no better. Posibly worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Mellor wrote: »
    Doing GVT the day before will be no better. Posibly worse.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hanley wrote: »
    YNDTP

Totally off-topic but I really, really hate that abbreviation. Had to google it which means it's pointless. I needed to say that. Phew!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Totally off-topic but I really, really hate that abbreviation. Had to google it which means it's pointless. I needed to say that. Phew!

It'd be better if it was a TLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hanley wrote: »
    It'd be better if it was a TLA.

That one too, thats now on the list

So to the people who've finished at least the first cycle, How'd you find it? What gainz did you get? Would you repeat?

I posted my results already but will post again sure. Found it gruelling. Very tough. Didn't eat enough despite eating around 3,000 calories a day. Over the 6 weeks I stuck to the routine as best I could and only put off 2 days (1 which was replaced with crossfit).

Currently have an injury in my shoulder so am resting up until Sunday and then I'll complete Phase 2.

Would definitely do it again but would like to build a stronger foundation for myself first so will do 5x5 for 8-10 weeks and then try get a cycle of phase 1 in just before the summer.

Not exactly massive gains. My legs saw the most improvement but obviously I never took a pic :(

mvLVaJr.jpg

• Advertisement

Trying to put on weight healthily was probably the hardest part. Going to the gym was the easy bit despite having wicked DOMS from squatting 10x10 @50kg.

Went from 68.1kg - 71.5kg in the first 6 weeks. Would like to think that's mostly muscle but who knows. I'm due a body fat test sometime before Christmas.

When I do it again I won't avoid foods like this time. Everything will be eaten. Everything.

Advertisement