Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Volume Training

Options
  • 25-06-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

For my next training cycle I am considering trying the GVT methods. I know it's old but Poliquin has a good article explaining the methodology:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/441/German_Volume_Training.aspx

I'd be interested to hear some experiences from people who have previously or are currently using this type of program.

Poliquin makes some big noises about it and I have previously seen other big names praising it:

"The German Volume Training program works because it targets a group of motor units, exposing them to an extensive volume of repeated efforts, specifically 10 sets of a single exercise. The body adapts to the extraordinary stress by hypertrophying the targeted fibers. To say this program adds muscle fast is probably an understatement. Gains of 10 pounds or more in six weeks are not uncommon, even in experienced lifters!"

I'm not getting hung up on exact figures here but I'm interested to hear what type of gains people experienced in comparison with other styles of training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've done it before and did it wrong, i superset two exercises for 10 sets each. I did put on a decent bit of size even with a poor diet but it's incredibly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

n1ck wrote: »
    I've done it before and did it wrong, i superset two exercises for 10 sets each. I did put on a decent bit of size even with a poor diet but it's incredibly boring.

Were you doing much in the way of accessory work in addition to your primary exercise?

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Were you doing much in the way of accessory work in addition to your primary exercise?

I was too knackered to do anything other than the main movements I was doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

There's a load of GVT in my log from like nov 2012 to jan 2013. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Im a big fan, true it could be seen as a bit boring...but headphones in and get it done!!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »

Must take a look, why did you change of it in Jan - change of scenery?
    xgtdec wrote: »
    Im a big fan, true it could be seen as a bit boring...but headphones in and get it done!!

Are you working off it at the mo? Are you noticing much in the way of muscle mass gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

n1ck wrote: »
    I was too knackered to do anything other than the main movements I was doing.

Does article not specify this for A1 and A2?
    Hanley wrote: »

How long did your workouts typically take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Must take a look, why did you change of it in Jan - change of scenery?

Are you working off it at the mo? Are you noticing much in the way of muscle mass gains?

It was time to change after that period of time!
    Sangre wrote: »
    Does article not specify this for A1 and A2?

How long did your workouts typically take?

45ish mins...

Upper body days;

A1) 10x10
    A2) 10x10
    B1) 3x15
    B2) 3x15

Lower;

A) 10x10
    B1) 10x10
    B2) 10x10

45-60s between sets, stop watch set, bish bash bosh in and out easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I've seen various people try GVT over the years and one thing I've noticed is if you don't religiously stick to the tempo's your results will be sub par.

Tried it myself just before I moved back didn't get to finish a whole cycle with disruptions due to moving etc but I followed the poliquin BCAA protocol, ie take f*cking loads of them and the doms was not bad at all. Also I replicated the poliquin bcca formula with ones from myprotein its about 1/4 the cost, for those interested 1kg of bcaa, 250g of leucine and 250g of lysine will give the same as poliquin bcaa's

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Yes working off it at the moment, BUT...im not eating for mass right now so gvt is at the moment my way of training to get away from my more normal routines which became a tiny bit stale, the gvt is a nice change!

So to answer the question..no gains:rolleyes:...but i'd really recommend it for fat loss if your bored or stuck!!

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to the challenge, which no doubt it will be. I think this type of training will definitely require more rest than I have been allowing myself previously (as in between sessions). Will have to dig out a stopwatch to regulate the rest between sets :)

Im working on introducing tempo controls on some of the main lifts at the moment so as it's fresh in my mind it should be relatively easy to transfer across to the GVT (famous last words?!)

@amazingemmet, any link to some more info on his BCAA protocol? How much did that home brew cost you :D

You got to remember the way GVT is laid out its 3 workouts over 5 days then repeat. It should take 30 days to finish the 10x10 section.

You'll find that the weights if chosen properly will be light enough that you can focus on counting, 1 thousand, 2 thousand etc.

BCAA protocl There's more online if you google it.

The cost worked out at the homebrew was 1.5kg for the same cost of 400g of the poliquin brand ones.

You got to remember the way GVT is laid out its 3 workouts over 5 days then repeat. It should take 30 days to finish the 10x10 section.

You'll find that the weights if chosen properly will be light enough that you can focus on counting, 1 thousand, 2 thousand etc.

BCAA protocl There's more online if you google it.

The cost worked out at the homebrew was 1.5kg for the same cost of 400g of the poliquin brand ones.

I take it that given the volume in each session, you guys found the rest essential in between?

Cheers for the link, I had toyed with the idea of making my own BCAA mix so this will be useful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Read this yesterday and thought it looked good. Started last night on a 3 day split.
    Chest and back, Arms and Shoulders, Quads, Hams and Calfs. A1 A2 superset 10x10 and b1 + B2 superset 3 x 10.

Oh my god. Wanted to vomit after. Had nothing left at set 5 and came near to getting stuck under the bar on the bench. It is very time efficient. Think this is going to be a challenge. Chins are particularly difficult as I dont have that many, but the gym has an assisted chins machine to allow me to complete the sets. Still have the shakes this morning. I think this will be a epic training cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

You're going too heavy. It's tricky getting the weight right the first couple sessions.

You're going too heavy. It's tricky getting the weight right the first couple sessions.

Yeah your not wrong. I was going 60% max, may tail that down a bit. Leg day should be fun. Have disabling arse doms from a split squat session 3 days ago still :(

Yeah your not wrong. I was going 60% max, may tail that down a bit. Leg day should be fun. Have disabling arse doms from a split squat session 3 days ago still :(

Keep us in the loop with how you get on!! I won't be starting my cycle until after 14th July.

@fitzgeme, how was leg day :-D

Its a real ego check, can backsquat 140kg for reps but at 60kg the 10x10 was a red faced grunt fest. Did them with goodmornings and my B sets were leg extensions and hamstring curls. Some calf work to round it out.....

Then I went into a 45 minute spin class and nearly died. Legs feel numb now, glutes ache. Going to have some serious pain for a few days. At least tomorrow is chest day again. Arm and shoulder day was a breeze as far as recovery but uncomfortable at the time. I am really hungry on this training.

thinking rosary beads to keep track of the sets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

fitzgeme - i ran gvt a few times and loved it. i always programme it a 70% of max but test maxes immedietly before i start (fri before the mon, if you follow) rather than an enormous squat you may have hit months/years ago which wouldnt be as relevant. the first few sessions are pretty horendous, but as a way of tracking progress i marked myself out of 100 at the end of each move, so if i managed 90/100 squats last week and was on 80reps going into my last 2 sets this week i could afford a 6+6 or whatever combination to be progressing and then obviously the rep total goes up for next week and the challenge starts again.
    i hit each movement 2 times per week for 4-6 weeks and would be completing full sets from about 60% of the way through the cycle, at this point id start start adding weight each session just to try and keep that 100rep completion out of touching distance, tiny bits of weight though, like 5kg to a squat which feels like the world in the last few sets though.

oh yeah, the assisted chinups thing - rehab bands.

• Advertisement

Brave one hitting the spin class after that, surprised you could even throw the leg over!! Not sure whether I'll do stiff leg deadlifts or GM with the squats. Leaning towards stiff leg DLs. Are you deadlifting in your back day?

Is there a recommended % weight you should be adding per session? Or per X amount of weeks>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Did this for a bit was great - 10x10 with 60% 1RM on Squats!
    Roughly 60%.

2 day out from leg day and all I can say is fcuk GVT. Check/back/shoulders and arms are fine and there is a monster pump at the end. (question does the feeling of a pump actually mean anything as regards the effectiveness of the training?).

Think I will stubborn this out for 6-8 weeks and do a 1RM test after that.

DOMS still molesting you after leg day??

Did my 1RM test for DL last week, squat this week so good timing for me to start after my hols next week :)

Can you put up your programme? I'd be interested to see it.

2 day out from leg day and all I can say is fcuk GVT. Check/back/shoulders and arms are fine and there is a monster pump at the end. (question does the feeling of a pump actually mean anything as regards the effectiveness of the training?).

The pump is good for a number of reasons, one increased blood flow to the muscles if your workout nutrition is good then increased nutrients going there, two big pump also facilitates some facsial stretching.

Its a bit of a mish-mash of what I have read. I do this 3 consecutive day and rest. Getting in 3 spin class 45 minute a week also.

Day 1 Chest/Back.
    A1 Flat bench, medium width grip 10 x 10
    A2 Chins 10 x 10 starting at BW and taking weight off to complete reps.
    90 seconds after each A1,A2 superset.

B1 Decline Bench Close grip 10 x 3
    B2 Lat pulldown wide grip 10 X 30
    B3 Pushups 10 X 3
    B1+B2+B3 60 seconds rest.

Day 2 Shoulders and Arms. (deadlifts in here also)
    A1 Millitay press 10 X 10
    A2 Deadlift 10 X 10 light enough
    A3 Dips 10 X 10
    90 seconds after each A1,A2, A3 superset.

B1 Curls 3 x 5 really heavy straight bar
    B2 Curls 3 x 5 Preacher
    B3 Curls 3 X 5 light dumbell
    B4 Tricep push downs 3 X 5
    B1+B2+B3+B4 60 seconds rest.

Day 3 Legs
    A1 Squats 10 X 10 slow down, fast up.
    A2 Goodmornings/straightleg deadlifts 10 X 10
    90 seconds

B1 Leg extension 3 X 15
    B2 Lying ham curls 3 X 15
    No rest B1-B2-B1-B2-B1-B2

C1 Calf raises 3 X 15 on smith machine and step (I have to be careful if I put too much volume into my calf the get crippling DOMS, I am blessed with calf you dont really need to train, if only my fecking gut was the same)

Suggestions welcomed.

@Fitzgeme it's a bit frankensteinish

Not to say it won't work but the GVT program from the link in the first article is tried and trusted to do the job. Also you need to go over your exercise selection a bit. Ie squats and goodmornings in the same pairing will be trashing your lower back once the pump kicks in about set 5. Also you're not working knee flexion anywhere. Also military press and dips.

Its a bit of a mish-mash of what I have read. I do this 3 consecutive day and rest. Getting in 3 spin class 45 minute a week also.

Day 1 Chest/Back.
    A1 Flat bench, medium width grip 10 x 10
    A2 Chins 10 x 10 starting at BW and taking weight off to complete reps.
    90 seconds after each A1,A2 superset.

B1 Decline Bench Close grip 10 x 3
    B2 Lat pulldown wide grip 10 X 30
    B3 Pushups 10 X 3
    B1+B2+B3 60 seconds rest.

Day 2 Shoulders and Arms. (deadlifts in here also)
    A1 Millitay press 10 X 10
    A2 Deadlift 10 X 10 light enough
    A3 Dips 10 X 10
    90 seconds after each A1,A2, A3 superset.

B1 Curls 3 x 5 really heavy straight bar
    B2 Curls 3 x 5 Preacher
    B3 Curls 3 X 5 light dumbell
    B4 Tricep push downs 3 X 5
    B1+B2+B3+B4 60 seconds rest.

Day 3 Legs
    A1 Squats 10 X 10 slow down, fast up.
    A2 Goodmornings/straightleg deadlifts 10 X 10
    90 seconds

B1 Leg extension 3 X 15
    B2 Lying ham curls 3 X 15
    No rest B1-B2-B1-B2-B1-B2

C1 Calf raises 3 X 15 on smith machine and step (I have to be careful if I put too much volume into my calf the get crippling DOMS, I am blessed with calf you dont really need to train, if only my fecking gut was the same)

Suggestions welcomed.

The only part of that I'm unsure of is the deadlifts after the MP on shoulders day. Bit of a catch 22 as you can't really put them at full volume on your chest day either.

I may opt for a 4 day split giving back a day of it's own.

EDIT: or would a 4 day split be too much given the VOL involved?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I have to work around the equipment in my gym and also the fact I need alternatives instead of waiting around. If I did the poliquin method by the time I went say from squats to lying leg curls, my squat wrack would have been taken. I know its German but putting a towel on something mean nothing to the guys in my gym. Also there are no DB over 30kg so my progression is limited strickly his system.

As for knee flexion I am unsure what that is?

Yeah the deadlifts are kina stuck in there, but I got to do them sometime...maybe better on leg day but that would probably kill me. Its hard not to feel I am not getting a full workout. I used to do chest and shoulders together, and that would be three inclinations of bench, and flys and pushups. Trying to let go of that "hit em from every angle" things is hard. Takes a good 50 minutes get through those as I layed them out.

Advertisement